Fixing Rev

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Fixing Rev

Post by paprika » #13410

Rev can be simultaneously fun as hell (when you get decently balanced fights between revolutionaries and security) but also extremely terrible (one head of staff killed in 30 seconds) so I have a solution that might fix rev.

If revolution was on a delay (as in, rev heads were chosen from a pool of players still alive) after 5-10 minutes into the round it would remove the game mode from the roundstart rush and make it so you couldn't flash all 15 greyshirts in tech storage at roundstart as a rev head. Converting people would be much harder because security would already have their pants on, and you wouldn't have such an easy time overwhelming everyone with sheer numbers due to sanic (this is especially the case on NT atm).

Rev is rare because of this and it really shouldn't be, it has the potential to be a great game mode when it's not awful 5 second round crap. This is currently the only gamemode (with the exception of the wizard suiciding) that has the potential to be over extremely quickly can drain the server of players because after setting up sci/robo/engine/etc and having the round suddenly end can be funny the first time but it's a joke that gets old extremely fast.

So please, add a delay to revhead picking that's at LEAST 5-10 minutes into the round to avoid the speed run shit that kills the server and is generally anti-fun.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Re: Fixing Rev

Post by Lovecraft » #13416

Hypothetically, how would the flash appear on the chosen head?
In the pocket, or if the pocket's full, in the first open slot on person?
Just wondering. I think it sounds interesting.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #13418

hypothetically i can light you on fire
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13419

Honestly it'd probably work better if the rev converting didn't use a flash. If you find a greyshirt with a flash that flashed a ton of people at roundstart fnr and the flash at the sec checkpoint is still there he's a rev head and you're going to loyalty implant him to check. Why not change it so it says:

You are a rev head! (yadda yadda)
Say *scream to summon your flash into your active hand!

etc.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #13425

It is okay for a antagonist to be simple and strong.

Maybe better scaling between rev heads and starting heads should be a thing but not every antag should be beaten by dumb luck or game mechanics before you even lay eyes on them.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #13426

The delay is a really good idea. So many heads of staff overwhelmed simply because they were too busy gearing up.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #13433

This is... actually a fantastic idea. Gets rid of:

- Overwhelming numbers within two minutes of roundstart, AS WELL AS
- Idiot revs whipping it out too quick and the rev getting fucked early on because of one guy

That said 15 minutes might be a bit long. Something like blob's timer might work better.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #13439

It's not gonna fix rev, but it's gonna be a nice improvement.

Examples of other problems that rev has:
- Instant conversions that require no effort or resources (yeah yeah, flashes can burn out, but they are also extremely common and easy to get)
- Absolutely no way to detect it apart from arbitrary "acting like antagonist" (so much from brainwashing). Game mode practically makes metagaming the only way to play it. If you see that a person has a flash, they must be revhead (it's a good bet), even though flash is pretty common, if you see them doing something normally against the rules, they must be revolutionary. That's pretty lame way of doing things.

Replace the damn flash with something else. Persuader from SYNDICATE, alien parasite thing from Star Trek, whatever. Add a cooldown to it. I'm not sure how to tackle instant conversions, because restraining people can be quite challenging, but limiting conversions should absolutely be the case. Add some way to detect it, for example via health analyzers or some blood test or whatever.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #13467

There's already a test for revolutionary status: Loyalty implants.

Keep in mind that if there's a special, rev-only item that converts people, a rev-head caught with it is fucked. The entire point of using flashes is exactly to counter that meta. It doesn't work because now people just meta flashes, but replacing flashes with another item won't change anything about the meta.

I have my own ideas about rev and how it should be that involve removing the conversion aspect, but I'll save those for another thread. I actually like the OP's suggestion with the current state of things. As to giving them a flash, I think it'd be fair to not give them one at all and demand they acquire one on their own. This may require placing more flashes around but that's ok.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #13470

The biggest problem I have with Rev is that it forces Security to metagame in order to figure out its Rev's they are dealing with a lot of the time.

Round after round when I'm in Security and we defeat the Rev's, we get blasted time and time again by people calling us out for metagaming, along the lines of us discerning the Mime/Assistant/Whoever for having a flash in their backpack or something to that effect. It gets old, and I don't like the same argument always popping up.

But this idea is good, in many cases I find fellow Heads of Staff dead before they have even finished suiting up for the round, its a shitty way to die two minutes into the round and its not really fun.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #13480

MisterPerson wrote:but I'll save those for another thread.
why this is a thread about making rev good
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #13496

Rev is good though
50% of the time
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13498

To give some context to the situation.

Rev has a 64% win rate (For the Revs) on Sybil, and a 83% win rate on Artyom.

Looking further, on Sybil for now. When comparing it to the population of the server, the win rate is at 80% if the population is between 20-29 people, the win rate hovers well over the 50% marker for any other population number, ranging from 75%(49-49) to 50%(70-79)

For the round duration success rate, rounds that last between 0-10 minutes have a 100% win rate for the Revs, 10-20 minutes is at a 80% win rate. The remaining numbers hover at around 60-66% with the only notable outliner being a 25% rate on 60-70(1 round only) and a 0% rate on 90-100(2 rounds only).

TL;DR
Win Rate: 64%
Pop Less Than 30: 80% win rate
Round Time 0-10 minutes: 100% win rate

However

Population between 30-80: 61% win rate
Round Time 20-60 minutes: Around 63% win rate
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #13499

Does rev even scale number of revheads with population?
Facundo

Post by Facundo » #13532

I like Paprika's Idea and would love to hear what Mister has to say
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #13586

Steelpoint wrote:The biggest problem I have with Rev is that it forces Security to metagame in order to figure out its Rev's they are dealing with a lot of the time.

Round after round when I'm in Security and we defeat the Rev's, we get blasted time and time again by people calling us out for metagaming, along the lines of us discerning the Mime/Assistant/Whoever for having a flash in their backpack or something to that effect. It gets old, and I don't like the same argument always popping up.

But this idea is good, in many cases I find fellow Heads of Staff dead before they have even finished suiting up for the round, its a shitty way to die two minutes into the round and its not really fun.
That's because the player base right now are giant fucking cry babies that tick the antag options because they think it gives them some god given right to cause grief with no blow back, instead of ticking it because they want to cause rounds to be !!FUN!! at the risk of getting brutally murdered and their corpse spaced forever.

Anyway, I do like the idea of rev heads having to find their own flashes and also the delayed start.
I do think we should return rev head uplinks as well though, possibly with a lowered number of telecrystals, I want to see a rev head convert someone and hand them revolver and tell them to assassinate the captain. Although that type of thing relies on the playerbase being shit.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13588

I don't think rev heads having a limited uplink is a bad idea, fluff-wise it's like the syndicate are sending in a team of agents to act as revolutionaries and cause a riot to take the station. Better than blowing it up, I guess.

Rev heads using their TC to get flashes or having to find their own sounds way more fun than flash everyone in tool storage the round
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #13609

Because rev antagonists are already not strong enough?

I think latejoin heads should count for objectives.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #13612

Yeah, we don't need the uplinks on /tg/.
Spoiler:
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13616

Meh, rev heads are only strong because they have numbers, because of the roundstart rush, which is what I'm proposing removing.

These ideas aren't mutually exclusive or anything, the idea is to take away the roundstart rush from rev heads but buff their ability to send out single revs on missions rather than having a huge swarm that you can just trust to grey tide endlessly.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #13618

With synthetic flashes in robotics there aren't many flashes outside security or head control. Maybe the one in tech storage? Oh sec checkpoint has one laying around.

The best thing the round has going for it is simplicity I don't think hoop jumping will improve it all that much. Maybe make the shuttle callable after an hour the worst part of rev and what really makes people leave is not the quick win it is the hide and seek post murderthon where half the station is dead and one guy is shifting between lockers or something.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #13643

Malkevin wrote:That's because the player base right now are giant fucking cry babies that tick the antag options because they think it gives them some god given right to cause grief with no blow back, instead of ticking it because they want to cause rounds to be !!FUN!! at the risk of getting brutally murdered and their corpse spaced forever.
Well, why shouldn't they think that? It's exactly the case. Revolution is basically a grief round.
Kelenius wrote:Because rev antagonists are already not strong enough?

I think latejoin heads should count for objectives.
Yeah, this is true. I mean, it's still gonna be easy to just ambush them in arrivals, but at least it will require some effort.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #13660

Yeah, because no other mode has unique items that allow you to instantly identify an antagonist oh wait.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13666

But you can identify rev heads easy as fuck?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13668

But the only way to identify a Rev Head normally is to metagame it, unless people are yelling "viva".

Hence the problem.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #13670

kill em all, let admins sort em out
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #14457

I like rev
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #14912

Malkevin wrote:kill em all, let admins sort em out
Which is how you get banned from security, presumably. Unless there's a full-on riot kicking off, in which case it's already too late.

I agree with the 'replace a flash with something else' concept. At the moment it's weird and stupid, especially since rev heads can't be implanted to unrev them. It doesn't even need to be a different item type, like an uplifting revolutionary pamphlet. It could just be a functionally identical flash with a totally different skin and a different name.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #14917

Cheimon wrote:
Malkevin wrote:kill em all, let admins sort em out
Which is how you get banned from security, presumably. Unless there's a full-on riot kicking off, in which case it's already too late.
Not really, once a rev round gets into gear all bets are off and the rules are thrown out the window.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy