Saving Progress/Items between rounds

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Saving Progress/Items between rounds

Post by onleavedontatme » #184511

I know it's dumb but didnt sleep so I will type this up anyway. Hear me out.

I am adding a black box anomaly. It's like a super smart fridge that saves it's items bewteen rounds. Currently you will gain access to it by killing a very rare and powerful boss. Anything you leave in the "fridge" can be found by the next boss killer.

I understand this already sounds crazy but what if it went a step further

-The station starts with a special vault. The vault requires multiple heads swiping to access it. You can take items out of the saved pool, but you can't put anything in.

-Accomplishing whatever special goal (kill a boss, build a super engine, whatever) will let you put items into the pool. This would give the crew a tangible goal with real benefits. You can start off with higher tech next round.

-Antagonists could do serious damage. If the captain pulls out his fancy double esword from the vault and you kill him/end the round before the crew gets far enough to deposit it again, sword is gone.

-Librarian could have holo displays he curates from the vault or something with the names of who placed the items it might be fun

Potential problems:

-Wizard mode

-Admin events having multiround consequences would suck

-Potential for snowballing/severely imbalancing everything.

Does this sound workable though? Would you spend longer on station if you knew you could smuggle part of your work into future rounds?
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Saving Progress/Items between rounds

Post by InsaneHyena » #184512

I'm really not sure about this. While I like the general idea of some sort of... custom loadout, I feel like you're going in the wrong direction. If there's some sort of consistency between rounds, it should be reserved for small things, not powergamey things, and be available to everybody as opposed to just the heads. "Collecting hats" kind of consistency, not "acquiring double eswords to validhunt antags".
Bring back papercult.

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #184516

If people abuse it I will permaban them and extort them in their ban appeals
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #184519

Kor wrote:-Antagonists could do serious damage.
But papa Kor, can't antagonists do enough damage already? Must it persist between rounds?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #184525

Crew dunks a bunch of traitors in one round, has a long round, gets the ~~~vault key~~~. Captain takes an ebow, esword and syndiecomm chip.

~Future round~ the captain is/isn't an antag and takes all the toys out and genocides the entire crew/antags.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Terrible idea Kor 0/10 very dissapointed I expect better
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #184541

TechnoAlchemist wrote:If people abuse it I will permaban them and extort them in their ban appeals
But what if they are antags every time?
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #184581

Go home Kor, you're drunk.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #184585

Leaving the blackbox as something that is only found by killing the rare boss is probably a lot more balanced then leaving a potential access-point on the station that people WILL rush to if they know some high-valuable shit was put in the rounds before.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #184586

MMMiracles wrote:Leaving the blackbox as something that is only found by killing the rare boss is probably a lot more balanced then leaving a potential access-point on the station that people WILL rush to if they know some high-valuable shit was put in the rounds before.
What about it as a random event, like all the other anomalies
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #184590

I think we should give it a trial run of a few weeks.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #184593

The item inside the vault should get a unique numeric value attached to its name akin to the Bar Monkey for every round it is stored in the box.

So if you put, say, a Energy Gun into the box, then the next round it'll have a name akin to "Energy Gun - One" or something thematic, then if that weapon is either left in the box, or is put back in before the round ends, it increments.

Gameplay wise this would have no effect on the item, but it would add a reason to keep a item in the safe to see how high of a number you can get it.

Maybe at best you can add a sort of sparkle or aura effect to the item at certain number intervals, so if it survives ten rounds it'll get a unique sparkle effect, if it gets to fifty it gets a glowing aura around it and so on.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184597

Steelpoint wrote:The item inside the vault should get a unique numeric value attached to its name akin to the Bar Monkey for every round it is stored in the box.

So if you put, say, a Energy Gun into the box, then the next round it'll have a name akin to "Energy Gun - One" or something thematic, then if that weapon is either left in the box, or is put back in before the round ends, it increments.

Gameplay wise this would have no effect on the item, but it would add a reason to keep a item in the safe to see how high of a number you can get it.

Maybe at best you can add a sort of sparkle or aura effect to the item at certain number intervals, so if it survives ten rounds it'll get a unique sparkle effect, if it gets to fifty it gets a glowing aura around it and so on.
I want to weld the captain in a locker and shove him in the vault.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #184598

Steelpoint wrote:The item inside the vault should get a unique numeric value attached to its name akin to the Bar Monkey for every round it is stored in the box.

Cool!
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #184662

MMMiracles wrote:Leaving the blackbox as something that is only found by killing the rare boss is probably a lot more balanced then leaving a potential access-point on the station that people WILL rush to if they know some high-valuable shit was put in the rounds before.
also if any form of this gets in kor you better add those fucking lavaland keys
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #184667

If the heads are the only ones who can open it then they're the only ones who benefit. Crew would never work for an objective they can't benefit from. Also, people would take the items out every single round but wouldn't care about trying to put them in for another round. You'd have our resident griefers spacing the items when no one is looking.
--Crocodillo

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184672

cmspano wrote:If the heads are the only ones who can open it then they're the only ones who benefit. Crew would never work for an objective they can't benefit from. Also, people would take the items out every single round but wouldn't care about trying to put them in for another round. You'd have our resident griefers spacing the items when no one is looking.
Sounds like a self-regulating balancing factor.

That and i'd like to see a meteor collide with the vault the instant the round ends and the contents get "saved"
That would be an awkward thing to see when you open a locker.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #184674

By defeating a boss do you mean lavaland boss?

Because jesus fucking christ you need to stop adding more shit that encourages 12 shaft miners powergaming for dank loot.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #184683

Tornadium wrote:By defeating a boss do you mean lavaland boss?

Because jesus fucking christ you need to stop adding more shit that encourages 12 shaft miners powergaming for dank loot.
so what you're saying is that security needs autorifles?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #184688

MMMiracles wrote:
Tornadium wrote:By defeating a boss do you mean lavaland boss?

so what you're saying is that security needs autorifles?
What I'm saying is, add content that actually adds to the round on the station rather than having everything take place on fucking lavaland for those dank powergame memes.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #184731

have it so if the station is nuked on war mode it wipes the pool, people will be less likely to suicide on war so they can protect their precious loot
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184752

cocothegogo wrote:have it so if the station is nuked on war mode it wipes the pool, people will be less likely to suicide on war so they can protect their precious loot
Throw blob in there too
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #184753

So then why add this at all with how frequent those modes are. It'll mean that putting shit in is 100% pointless.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #184754

Zilenan91 wrote:So then why add this at all with how frequent those modes are. It'll mean that putting shit in is 100% pointless.
Because gimmicky bullshit should be gimmicky bullshit.

Or do you really think a permanent storage is a good idea?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #184771

With this many limitations, yes.

You not only need to rely on the mob on lavaland spawning, but also that you can find it, kill it, put something in it, and then pray that a HoP didn't just make 4 head ID cards and steal the thing you put in while you were asleep before you can use it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #184772

He'd only like it if security had one that they could store their lethal weapons in and it was only openable by the player who has the actual HoS role, not the card, the actual roundstart role
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #184788

Zilenan91 wrote:With this many limitations, yes.

You not only need to rely on the mob on lavaland spawning, but also that you can find it, kill it, put something in it, and then pray that a HoP didn't just make 4 head ID cards and steal the thing you put in while you were asleep before you can use it.
It will do the same thing away missions did.

Half the station will fight to get to lavaland for the dank loot. This idea is incredibly bad, I'd almost prefer static crew lockers that could save items for individual players.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #184789

They really won't. You've overblowing this because you don't like lavaland in the first place.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #184821

Just store the nuke disk :^)
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #184823

Balancing everything around this simple but interesting feature is a nightmare so I don't think this is a good idea but feel free to try it.

You can save people's crime history for example and snowflakes who use the same name/appearance will get punished with a permanent sec record and be salty as fuck
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #184825

Tornadium wrote: Half the station will fight to get to lavaland for the dank loot.
Of course, people will go out of their way to try out new content regardless of what what it is, this is why mining has become an extremely popular job. I doubt the station would care that much about the loot on lavaland considering the amount of stuff that science can churn out halfway through a round.

I understand the idea of having progress carry over rounds, considering in-universe a round is specified to be a work shift. I'd still worry about it severely snowballing into a disaster, but then again that would probably be more fun than aggravating.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #184841

Zilenan91 wrote:They really won't. You've overblowing this because you don't like lavaland in the first place.
Okay, Let me give you an example from a round tonight.

We had 9 shaft miners.

NINE.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #184847

I don't know how that's possible without people getting access from the HoP.

I also don't know what they were even trying to achieve what with there being a limited amount of GPS's on the mining station, so they'd literally just be running in blind.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #184878

Well the new monsters were put on server today, so maybe they were forming a raid party or something.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #184894

dumb idea
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #184896

that kind of relies on people who know how to kill drakes or people with enough autism to set up super engines

A more simple solution might be unlocking/spawning vaults on the shuttle past a certain time, and certain department-specific items could be placed into it. A seed packet, a syringe, a tech design disk etc. The ones on the shuttle would be accessible to all players so everyone has a chance to invest time/effort in it. The vaults could also be unlocked with cargo points to prevent people merely waiting the time out until the vaults become available. Cargo points/tasks like killing drakes/autism projects could expand the vault's capacity or capability of storing non-departmental specific things (loot) like eswords and the like. Cargo points themselves could be """deposited""" at centcom and withdrawn at the next round, with rollover of points or even interest being possible configurations to tweak.

It's an interesting patch (bandaid?) to incentivising longer rounds but I'm not sure if players will want to invest their effort and time each round to use this feature, or if just a few rounds lengthened in a day because of a player willingness to do this is a good enough tradeoff.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #184917

If you're worried about goofy var edited superweapons escaping meme rounds there's a var for that now (var_edited), and persistance stuff like this was actually one of the reasons why I did that.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #184918

If someone puts a restricted item in the loot box then just replace it with salt next round.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #185430

> put a maxcap with a proximity sensor in the box
> wait for the next round
> laugh
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #185467

Super Aggro Crag wrote:dumb idea
Crag knows what's up. Crag always knows what's up.

Too many can of worms. And if you fix them, the feature is relegated to an overly restrictive gimmick that's barely entertaining even in the best of cases. MAYBE if you made it super accessible then it would be worth the effort.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #187455

Make blaclbox spawn when the miners kill all the bosses on the mapn:^)
The future is horrible!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #187638

black box already spawns when you kill colossus
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #187642

But colosus is the most easiest boss make it mega legion
The future is horrible!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #187643

Ezel wrote:But colosus is the most easiest boss make it mega legion
no bubblegum is
Spoiler:
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #188040

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Ezel wrote:But colosus is the most easiest boss make it mega legion
no bubblegum is
Id disagree. No ones seemed to pay enough attention to realize bubblegum gives a trigger to when the slaughterlings spawn. And the charge is easy a fuck to dodge. Find an open space and dont ignore him and its gg

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #188139

yeah thats what i said bubblegum is easy af
Spoiler:
MrEousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #189757

What about the cuck admins spawn in staff of life or fucking GYRO JET GUNS!!!!!

would you be okay with this!!
just wait till the tator gets in this mother fucking vault
and its BYE BYE SPACE STATION 13
What if you stored ESwords?? or bombs!!!
HIDE THE CHILDREN, SORRY SON BUT WE ARE ALL FUCKED.
what happens if the cap stored 50 shotguns with explosive rounds???
AND GIVES THEM TO THE ASSES :revolver: :revolver: :revolver:
JUST IMAGINE DEATH CHAT
HOW BOUT THE CLOWN????
the honk heard round the world???!!!
takes 14 C4s rigs every office BOOOOM
OH ADMINS SAVE me from the clown ban him
He blew up the whole FUCKING STATION
HONK
:c4: :c4: :c4: :c4:
WOOPS slips on a banana peel RIGHT INTO FUCKING EXPLOSIONS.
WELP SOMEONE thought it was a good idea So ITS VALID. SORRY CHUM.
:honk: :honk: :honk: :honk: :honk: :honk: :honk: :honk: :honk:
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #189772

Make guns start empty so we can all laugh at the captain that grabs a empty gyrojet
The future is horrible!
MrEousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #189775

Ezel wrote:Make guns start empty so we can all laugh at the captain that grabs a empty gyrojet
someone came up with a good solution? hmm...
everything i said is now invalid.