Meteor Defense System

A place to record your ideas for the game.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Meteor Defense System

Post by BeeSting12 » #199767

Basically turrets that are preconstructed outside the station. Engineering has to wire them up and load plasma into them occasionally. The turrets would fire at meteors with a chance to miss, maybe 10-20%. Sci can upgrade them to use less plasma/shot, have better targeting systems to kill space carp+less chance to miss. The downside to this is a) it uses plasma from mining and b) it takes a good amount of power to keep it running. Also engineering incompetence will probably mean they don't even get set up. You can make more of these meteor defense turrets with a circuit board (researchable), some plasteel, and meteor defense turret gun. The basic model can be ordered from cargo, and more advanced models can be created in sci, which have less chance of missing, etc. The goal of this is to give engies something to do besides sit in the bar with their hardsuits. The hull breach fixing part of their job won't be entirely gone as most parts of the station will be undefended roundstart. Maybe the armory, outside perma, the engine area, and a couple of other places can be defended by the turrets roundstart. The turrets should be able to be emagged to shoot anything that moves, with less accuracy.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Re: Meteor Defense System

Post by Cheimon » #199791

The reason this doesn't exist is because the station is intended to be dangerous. It's not actually state-of-the-art, but an insane metal deathtrap.

Additionally, box now does have a meteor defence system, which is that less and less useful rooms have been consistently tacked onto the edges, shielding anything important. Even the engine area and the armory have defences, large grilles and walls put in place to block stray "fun".

It's not a horrible concept, I just can't see the point of it. Even you admit it's not giving engineers more to do, just replacing one job they do with another.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #199801

Cheimon wrote:Even the engine area and the armory have defences, large grilles and walls put in place to block stray "fun".
I remember when that bottom wall got added to the engine containment. I think that was more for how easy it was to fly in there with a suit and clip the emitter wires more than meteor protection. A stray meteor to the sides will still knock the emitters out anyway.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #199809

Maybe just make it researchable or something? I think it would be a pretty cool thing to have, but now that I think of it, meteors are the only things besides xenos or admin events that will end the long boring extended rounds.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #199816

Let ordinary turrets be set to target meteors.

Gives cargo a reason to order a ridiculous amount of lasers.
Also gives engineering something to do, and basically hands them lethal weapons if they're smart enough.
Finally, gives a reason for lasers to be made hitscan.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #199841

Jesus, just add wipple armour and be done with it. How slow are these rocks moving that they can just plow through the station? And what are the walls made from, tissue paper?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #199846

Reece wrote:Jesus, just add wipple armour and be done with it. How slow are these rocks moving that they can just plow through the station? And what are the walls made from, tissue paper?
yeah pretty much, this station isn't really well made, that's kind of the point
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #200502

The walls are literally sheet metal and rebar. That's the joke, that the "state of the art" plasma research facility is a creaky deathtrap on the cheap that only researches it by blowing up.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #200614

meteor defense system - repair the breach
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #200618

(perma does need a layer of grilles though)
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are