Cybermen: End-game robotics content

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Cybermen: End-game robotics content

Post by Luke Cox » #204799

Currently, the only things robotics has in the way of end-game content is a few mechs that see little practical use. They need something else.

There was a suggestion a while back about adding IPCs to /TG/. While I'm very much against adding more roundstart races, I love the idea of robotics being able to make cybernetic bodies to place brains into. These would be a sort of cross between mechs and borgs in function, except that they would function as humans that are fully capable of interacting with the world. I'll explain how this would work via bullet points, since it'll be easier to follow that way.

How they work
  • Basic chassis requires medium tech levels in bio and engineering
  • Chassis is assembled just like a mech, with a frame and control circuit boards. Titanium-plasma alloy is required for the plating
  • Brain is placed in the chassis just like a borg
  • The cybersuit is not a silicon in any way, shape, or form. People placed in them retain all their memories and loyalties.
  • Code-wise, cybermen are treated as people, with limbs and everything
  • Upgrades are available, some of which mitigate or eliminate the initial weaknesses. Some are inexpensive, others are costly, and each has its own research requirement. Installed just like borg upgrades.
Strengths
  • Immune to all chems
  • Immune to toxin damage
  • Cannot be knocked unconscious
  • Immune to viruses or genetic damage
  • Immune to cold and pressure

Weaknesses
  • Requires a power cell to run
  • EMP will instantly drain the battery and induce unconsciousness until somebody drags you to a charger
  • Systems are air-cooled; takes burn damage when suffocating. No cooling necessary in space
  • Medbay does nothing for them. Injuries are healed just like augments are
  • Has no DNA; cannot be cloned or given superpowers
  • Forgoes beneficial viruses

Anonmare wrote:If nobody minds, I could write up my own list of upsides and downsides.
  • Upsides:-
  • May repair yourself with welders and wires which are more readily available.
  • Slightly higher damage thresholds for brute/burn and complete immunity to toxins/radiation/diseases/deathchems/disabilities.
  • NO_BLOOD, NO_ORGANS and NO_BREATH species. Not affected by N2O or CO2.
  • Access to robotics-based upgrades.
  • Cannot be knocked out by conventional means.
  • Immunity to stamina damage (But not tasers).
  • Not Law_Bound.
  • Do not require surgery to re-attach limbs.
  • Downsides:-
  • Conversion must be done by someone else, that means trusting someone who can just as easy flush your brain down the toilet as they can put you in a robosuit.
  • Still affected by cold and high heat unless wearing protection or equipped with the equivalent upgrades.
  • Expensive and rare material, in addition to high R&D costs.
  • When killed, may only be revived with a cyborg reboot module made in an exofab and the total damage to their body does not exceed their total health, or have the brain moved to another body. That means no cloning, no pod-cloning, no strange reagent revivification and no defibrillation. That also means your physical, intact body needs to be found in order to revive you.
  • You cannot change your power cell by yourself, you can recharge it but not replace it.
  • Repairing with a welder/wires requires standing still for a few moments (about as long as it takes ointment/bruise packs to work).
  • EMP weakness, though that goes without saying.
  • Flashes cause temporary blindness and force drops items in hands, similar to cyborgs.
  • Cannot make use of any biological enhancement (xenobiology/virology/genetics/chemistry/alien and abductor organs etc.)
  • Power cell restricted, if it is empty - you are treated as unconscious until power is returned.

Upgrades
  • Liquid cooling: Eliminates need for air
  • Toolset arm: Just like the human equivalent
  • Reinforced plating: Adds brute resistance, with a minimum threshold for brute damage. Similar to borgs.
  • Plasma metabolizer: Allows cyberman to eat plasma to recharge
  • Arm blade: Extends a blade from the arm
  • Illegal tech upgrades could also be a possibility. Taser/stunbaton immunity could be one.
Now you too can be a Raiden wannabe!
Last edited by Luke Cox on Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Cybermen: End-game robotics content

Post by PKPenguin321 » #204807

Immune to all chems
Immune to toxin damage
Cannot be knocked unconscious
Immune to viruses or genetic damage
Immune to cold and pressure
jesus lord
also this one is in the wrong category:
Medbay does nothing for them. Injuries are healed just like augments are
science by the time they have these guys has the infinite welder which is infinite health and cable is practically free. you have effectively infinite healing
Systems are air-cooled; takes burn damage when suffocating. No cooling necessary in space
not really a real downside, it functions essentially the same as for humans when you consider my point above. also this: "Liquid cooling: Eliminates need for air" so not only is it already not a big deal but it can be removed entirely
Requires a power cell to run
as with the infinite welder, by the time science has these guys they pretty much also have power cells so large power is not an issue so again not a real downside
Reinforced plating: Adds brute resistance, with a minimum threshold for brute damage. Similar to borgs.
Arm blade: Extends a blade from the arm
this is just actually fucking silly

basically a vastly superior human that you have no reason not to use every time you get it and it also has bonus points for being given to science just like everything else on the station

real bad and if it's ever added expect it to be made admin only and see about as much use as chronosuits
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #204810

Durands are vastly superior to humans too, but you don't see those every day. With high enough requirements, this'd be pretty good.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #204813

Tbh PK, most of this can already be accomplished with chemistry, virology and genetics already at a much lower cost without the huge EMP weakness. If you did this to yourself, traitors can instantly knock you out with a 2 TC item that's indistinguishable from the real thing (I.E. The EMP flashlight) or buy an EMP kit for a full screen knockout they can execute even if they're restrained by using the implant. Changelings get the EMP screech which is basically an infite use EMp implant, Blood Cultists get EMP runes/talismans, Wizards get disable technology etc.
The only antag without a real hard counter would be Rev and maybe Clock Cult but it really shouldn't be an issue in those rounds.

Plus being augmented already increases your brute damage threshold by 5, makes you space immune and gives you welder/wire healing so you get basically the same benefits with roughly the same downside and they're still a rare sight to see since the playerbase is antisocial and roboticists are lazy. The Cybersuit would honestly need more going for it that being augmented does not provide for people to want it over basic augmentation.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #204821

tl;dr: PK has clearly never played Science. If you think this is OP but mechs or augs aren't, I don't know what the fuck you're thinking. My goal with this is to make something on the same level as those, but more constructive and less combat-oriented. I went out of my way to gimp these pre-upgrade.

The air cooling thing is a massive downside because the burn damage doesn't go away on its own like oxyloss does. We could add all manner of stuff to upgrades, those are just what immediately came to mind. I had an idea for various integrated equipment modules that function a little similarly to borg modules. It would give you built-in access to various toolkits, like a toolkit arm and eye shielding for engineering, integrated sec hud and armor for security, resonator hands (Iron Man style) and meson goggles for mining, etc. You would only be able to have one at a time, and it would change the appearance of the suit. Each module would have its own mineral cost and research requirements. Would that be too much?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #204834

I would rather see hardsuit level syringe protection instead of total chemical immunity.

Then someone can add a penetrating delivery system for both of those medical nanites or something to be harder to acquire and administer than a syringe gun.

Similar for borgs and mech pilots I mean there's still some meat in there should be possible to get to it if you take a different approach.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #204867

Luke Cox wrote:tl;dr: PK has clearly never played Science. If you think this is OP but mechs or augs aren't, I don't know what the fuck you're thinking. My goal with this is to make something on the same level as those, but more constructive and less combat-oriented. I went out of my way to gimp these pre-upgrade.

The air cooling thing is a massive downside because the burn damage doesn't go away on its own like oxyloss does. We could add all manner of stuff to upgrades, those are just what immediately came to mind. I had an idea for various integrated equipment modules that function a little similarly to borg modules. It would give you built-in access to various toolkits, like a toolkit arm and eye shielding for engineering, integrated sec hud and armor for security, resonator hands (Iron Man style) and meson goggles for mining, etc. You would only be able to have one at a time, and it would change the appearance of the suit. Each module would have its own mineral cost and research requirements. Would that be too much?
it's a "luke gets defensive over his blantantly bullshit idea" episode

yeah my dude i've played it a lot
you know those "mechs or augs" you mentioned and literally said that they're OP? well nothing's stopping cybermen from using either of these. this is just another layer of buffs to science and it's still silly

not even gonna argue with you because i dont wanna fuel this thread and you'll just go on some bullshit ad homiem ranting before saying a point i already pointed out again so yeah seeya
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #204876

Remember when you threw a hissy fit about Peacekeeper borgs being op?

These guys forego augs as well.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #204885

STOP USING EMPS AS A WEAKNESS
WE ALL KNOW NO ONE USES EMPS EVER
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #204886

"let's have infinite healing from 2 very common items and ignore the most common damage type in the game and ignore poisoning, radiation, and space and can't be knocked out BUT DONT WORRY ITS WEAK TO EMPS BALANCED"
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #204887

EMPs are cheap and common as dirt. Not my fault people can't git gud. If people really never get them, we should make more things weak to EMPs to incentivize their use.

As far as repairing the suits, I was thinking that maybe it should require something a bit more rare than wires and a welder, maybe even an item that can only be made in robotics.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #204890

EMPs aren't common you need fucking uranium
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #204891

Just bring a singularity with you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #204916

iamgoofball wrote:EMPs aren't common you need fucking uranium
Anonmare wrote:Tbh PK, most of this can already be accomplished with chemistry, virology and genetics already at a much lower cost without the huge EMP weakness. If you did this to yourself, traitors can instantly knock you out with a 2 TC item that's indistinguishable from the real thing (I.E. The EMP flashlight) or buy an EMP kit for a full screen knockout they can execute even if they're restrained by using the implant. Changelings get the EMP screech which is basically an infite use EMp implant, Blood Cultists get EMP runes/talismans, Wizards get disable technology etc.
The only antag without a real hard counter would be Rev and maybe Clock Cult but it really shouldn't be an issue in those rounds.
Also, it would be one thing if these guys were ONLY crew sided or antag sided, but people from either can become cybermen. Is it really OP if every faction has equal access to it?
PlaugeWalker
Byond Username: PlaugeWalker

Post by PlaugeWalker » #204932

Jesus, luke you seriously had to knick the synth idea?
Image\
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #204941

PlaugeWalker wrote:Jesus, luke you seriously had to knick the synth idea?
"Synths" aren't really an original concept. Stories about robots in disguise as humans have been around since at least 1946, with "Evidence".
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #204953

If nobody minds, I could write up my own list of upsides and downsides.
  • Slightly higher damage thresholds for brute/burn and complete immunity to toxins/radiation/diseases/deathchems/disabilities.
  • Not Law_Bound.
  • Conversion must be done by someone else, that means trusting someone who can just as easy flush your brain down the toilet as they can put you in a robosuit.
  • Still affected by cold and high heat unless wearing protection or equipped with the equivalent upgrades.
  • When killed, may only be revived with a cyborg reboot module made in an exofab and the total damage to their body does not exceed their total health, or have the brain moved to another body. That means no cloning, no pod-cloning, no strange reagent revivification and no defibrillation. That also means your physical, intact body needs to be found in order to revive you.
  • You cannot change your power cell by yourself, you can recharge it but not replace it.
  • Repairing with a welder/wires requires standing still for a few moments (about as long as it takes ointment/bruise packs to work).
  • Flashes cause temporary blindness and force drops items in hands, similar to cyborgs.
  • Cannot make use of any biological enhancement (xenobiology/virology/genetics/chemistry/alien and abductor organs etc.)
  • Power cell restricted, if it is empty - you are treated as unconscious until power is returned.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #204969

PlaugeWalker wrote:Jesus, luke you seriously had to knick the synth idea?
I did say that I was going to make my own thread since it had diverged pretty significantly from your idea.
Anonmare wrote:If nobody minds, I could write up my own list of upsides and downsides.
  • Not Law_Bound.
This is better. Edited OP.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #205023

You people are retards and this is never being merged.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #205060

Like the legions of peacekeepers that were going to never get added, then were supposed to ruin the game forever?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #205062

That was a false flag so we could make the secborg retards shut up
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #205072

>It's another Goofball episode
Someone change the channel already.
PlaugeWalker
Byond Username: PlaugeWalker

Post by PlaugeWalker » #205074

Anonmare wrote:>It's another Goofball episode
Leave it and get the popcorn.
Image\
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #205084

Cybermen are only better than Daleks at dying
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #205304

I'm trying to think of some illegal tech upgrades that these guys could have. EMP shields, x-ray vision, and arm-mounted eswords sound reasonable. If these ever do get added, nuke ops could have the option of purchasing them as well.

Another consideration, how would silicon policy apply here? Would they technically be human, since they have human brains?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #205403

What if we could implant posibrains in them?
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #205453

Luke Cox wrote:I'm trying to think of some illegal tech upgrades that these guys could have. EMP shields, x-ray vision, and arm-mounted eswords sound reasonable. If these ever do get added, nuke ops could have the option of purchasing them as well.

Another consideration, how would silicon policy apply here? Would they technically be human, since they have human brains?
Generally speaking, if it changes your species or your mob type, you're not Human by Asimov basic. A Human brain in an augmented Human's body doesn't change species so they remain Human, but a Human brain in a Cyborg chassis is not Human since they change from a carbon mob type to a silicon mob type. Since the cybersuit would be using the cyborg method of conversion, I'd rule it under that.

I'd also recommend making them obviously non-Human (chrome skin with blinking lights for example) and change their say text to the silicon style, or, change their say verb to "states/alarms/queries".
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #205593

XDTM wrote:What if we could implant posibrains in them?
It would be a brain in an MMI, so yes, you could.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #205628

Not a fan of posibrains being implantable on the basis that coming back as a carbon mob with hands, no equipment restrictions and free will should be really difficult. Even golems can't use guns and xenobiology needs to roll the magicarp RNG to get a polymorph spell that gives them something useful (I.E Not a slime or F R E E D R O N E).
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #205670

Perhaps there could be a positron-compatible model that's buildable with higher material requirements. Giving roles to ghosts is a positive thing in my opinion, and these things start out with an assload of weaknesses. Plus anybody who comes back as one isn't going to have a vendetta against a crew, since positronic brains can't spawn as antagonists. There is the issue of metagaming, but that's no worse than golems.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #205684

Anonmare you can use mutation toxin to make golems human anyway. No need for carps.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #205708

Not sure if you can inject mutation toxin into golems, but you surely CAN brain-transplant them into humans.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #205712

Can this thread go fuck itself right up whatever orifice it has?
It's bad enough someone felt the need to buff Death Squad for whatever god awful reason, now someone feels like robotics needs some end game power house when they already have a Gygax?

What the fuck is wrong with you? You can't figure out how to put a higher capacity battery inside of an exosuit or stand at a recharging station for a minute or two?
I'm putting you on full blast, because mechs shouldn't even exist as battle machines on a space station in the first place. Phazons walk through walls for fucks sake.
If you can't be happy with a fully capable durand with auto-repair, you're just a power creep.
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #205791

A3STH3T1CS wrote:Can this thread go fuck itself right up whatever orifice it has?
It's bad enough someone felt the need to buff Death Squad for whatever god awful reason, now someone feels like robotics needs some end game power house when they already have a Gygax?

What the fuck is wrong with you? You can't figure out how to put a higher capacity battery inside of an exosuit or stand at a recharging station for a minute or two?
I'm putting you on full blast, because mechs shouldn't even exist as battle machines on a space station in the first place. Phazons walk through walls for fucks sake.
If you can't be happy with a fully capable durand with auto-repair, you're just a power creep.
Somebody's triggered.

Mechs being the end-game for robotics is exactly what my problem is. I want robotics to make something other than giant stompy war machines of death, that can actually be useful to the station.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #205828

A3STH3T1CS wrote:Can this thread go fuck itself right up whatever orifice it has?

Lmao this guy is triggered for sure.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #205878

> "it's ok guys they're hard countered by EMP, git gud"
> "let's give them EMP resistant implant"

What?

Make more interesting aug upgrades, and maybe a posibrain that'll fit into human bodies [with laws] instead of unrestrained human who has no actual drawbacks.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #205880

Luke Cox wrote:Mechs being the end-game for robotics is exactly what my problem is. I want robotics to make something other than giant stompy war machines of death, that can actually be useful to the station.
And I want people to stop being power hungry tools by putting shit in game for the sake of valid hunting by making excuses like "IT'S USEFUL I SWEAR" when you have perfectly available tools in R&D like X-Ray guns and bags of holding.
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #205919

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:> "it's ok guys they're hard countered by EMP, git gud"
> "let's give them EMP resistant implant"

What?

Make more interesting aug upgrades, and maybe a posibrain that'll fit into human bodies [with laws] instead of unrestrained human who has no actual drawbacks.
It would be a hard to get illegal tech upgrade, or maybe even nuke op exclusive. Like I said, I was just throwing out ideas. If you have something better, please put it out there.