More Ghetto chems

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should there be more ghetto chems?

Nah, that's stupid
No votes
Yeah! I love scavenger hunts!
100%

Total votes: 8

Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

More Ghetto chems

Post by Falamazeer » #208373

There is very very little chemistry for non chemists. And that's sad.

Here's a small list of things you can lay hands on without overstraining yourself.
Spoiler:
Silver (grind)
You can also get plenty of variations on vitamins nutriment and sugar from grinding food
*Schaps reminded us that ash comes from burning paper, then tag it with a beaker.
Gold (Grind)
Uranium (Grind)
Plasma (Get from grinding plasma, or plasteel. easy)
Iron (Grind metal sheet)
Carbon (Grind wood)
Silicon (grind glass)
Welding feul (easy find a tank)
Water Easy (find a tank)
Oil (Scoop from floor after toolboxing a borg)
Grinding a banana gets you potassium
Grinding a bunch of stuff gives you sugar.

I propose this list grows a bit.
Grinding matches should net you 2 carbon, 1 phosphorous, 1 sulpher
Grinding the matchbox 2 carbon 2 silicon 4 phosphorous
Grinding a power cell 2 carbon 5 lithium 5 iron 10 aluminum 10 sulfuric acid, 10 hyrdrogen
Grinding a High capacity power cell should net the same, but with 20 Hydrogen as well.
Grinding cable coil piece should get you 5 carbon and 5 copper

Heating space cleaner (igniter, welding torch, lighter, whatever) should net you ammonia.
Basically everytime you click it with heat source, two units of space cleaner should disapear, and one unit of ammonia should appear.

ethanol should be extractable from mixed drinks using a chemaster.
either that or drinks should work as ethanol for chems.

Using a container like a beaker on a gas canister should get you the reagent variant of the gas in the beaker, Nitrogen, oxygen, and stable plasma. If that's too easy, then require the tank must be below a certain temperature to provide the gas as a reagent.

The space cleaner bottle in medbay should be replaced by iodine and water, and bloody unkempt tools should lose success rate % until properly sterilized with it.

Water from sinks should have a bit of flourine in them, so you could use a chem-master to pull the water out leaving the flourine in the beaker, grab more water, rinse and repeat.

Partially dissasembling a fire alarm then hitting it with a beaker should net you 5 units of radium, and disable the firealarms detection ability.

Grinding salt should break it down into it's base parts Sodium, chlorine, exclude the water or it'll just re-mix.

So far this opens the list up, while still excluding Bromide and Mercury.

Come up with some more ghetto chems!
Last edited by Falamazeer on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Falamazeer

Re: More Ghetto chems

Post by Falamazeer » #208452

also, Printers like the one in the library should have a large beaker built in filled with acetone, every print uses one unit from it, this solves the excessive printing and gives another ghetto reagent to ste- I mean... Borrow.

Grinding light tubes should net 5 silicon 2 mercury 1 bromine

And that leaves a source for all the base chems. I could come up with more over time I'm thinking.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #208454

You can also make ash by burning paper and scooping up the remains!
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #208456

What's the point of ghetto chemistry, if you can't really separate the reagents without chem master? I mean, in the real chemistry, you can boil some away or shit, but in SS13 you gonna get your mannitol and also a dose of heavy metals.
Bring back papercult.

Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #208464

InsaneHyena wrote:What's the point of ghetto chemistry, if you can't really separate the reagents without chem master? I mean, in the real chemistry, you can boil some away or shit, but in SS13 you gonna get your mannitol and also a dose of heavy metals.
There used to be a chem-master in Maint, probably still is, Can't recall, I've just been using the holo-deck chem master and grinder from the emergency surgery setting.

And yeah, short of that you're gonna be dealing with a lot of inclusions, but who really cares, Especially with buckets being so plentiful.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #208470

Maybe every reagant should have a boilout temperature, then you could filter out the things you don't want. while still having to put up with the things whose temperature exceed the mix you want. unless you build a distillery to remove inclusions that exceed the boilout temperature of the thing you want to keep, and without using those ghetto items, you'll instead just have to live with the negative side affects and weakened chemicals.

Distillery should be made of 2 pipes, 1 large beaker an igniter, an analyzer and 50 units of water. tools;wrench, secondary welder done

then you load it with a containter just like a chem master and anything that gets boiled off in the distillery ends up there.

analyzers should be able to tell the current temperature of a beaker is, and different heat sources should add different degrees of heat, like a welding torch would add 25, a ciggerette lighter would add 5, etc etc and you could use that to determine what reagants boil out when. and it adds to the fun of leaving a very hot beaker laying around and someone burns their hand trying to pick it up.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #208471

Who's gonna code this? Goofball?
Bring back papercult.

Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #208472

Doesn't seem that hard, the distillery does sure, but look at the code for the grinder.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... grinder.dm

seems pretty forumulaic to me, and I'm no coder. here is one example I can throw together right now in seconds

Here is the code for plasteel sheets being ground:
/obj/item/stack/sheet/plasteel = list("iron" = 20, "plasma" = 20),

Here would be the match I proposed earlier.
/obj/item/weapon/match = list("Carbon" = 2, "Phosphorous" = 1, "Sulfur" = 1),

edit: honestly the hardest part seems to be finding the proper names of everything
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #208578

I've been toying with coding this myself, Gonna have to look into watertanks and see if I can reverse engineer from that to see if it's possible to remove gasses as reagents based on temp, but just for grinding stuff here is what I have so far
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/obj/item/weapon/match = list("Carbon" = 2, "Phosphorous" = 2, "Sulfur" = 1),
/obj/item/weapon/storage/box/matches = list("carbon" = 2, "silicon" = 2, "phosphorus" = 5, "sulfur" = 2),
/obj/item/weapon/stock_parts/cell = list("carbon" = 2, "lithium" = 10, "aluminium" = 10, "hydrogen" = 10),
/obj/item/weapon/stock_parts/cell/high = list("carbon" = 2, "lithium" = 10, "aluminium" = 10, "hydrogen" = 10, "sacid" = 10),
/obj/item/stack/cable_coil  = list("carbon" = 2, "copper" = 5),
/obj/item/weapon/light/tube  = list("silicon" = 2, "copper" = 5, "bromine" = 2, "mercury" = 5),
/obj/item/weapon/light/bulb  = list("silicon" = 1, "copper" = 2, "bromine" = 2, "mercury" = 5),
/obj/item/clothing/mask/cigarette = list("nicotine" = 30),
/obj/item/device/flashlight/flare = list("phosphorus" = 30),
If any actual coders have any insight I'd appreciate it. even if the idea is doomed to fail I'd like to know if I'm on the right track at least.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #208713

This is all doable with basically no coding experience and copy and pasting, you could easily apply most if not all of these changes
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #208800

TechnoAlchemist wrote:This is all doable with basically no coding experience and copy and pasting, you could easily apply most if not all of these changes
Yeppers that was what I was thinking, at least for grindable things, which I'm slowly building a list of new grindables, but I'm still working out how I might be able to remove gasses because i removed reagant gasses, But I got an actual coder buddy who might be able to assist once he comes down next, If a maintainer could either thumbs up or thumbs down on whether this is gonna be a no-fly zone before I get too deep that'd be great though.

But yeah, I want it enough to try and pick this up myself, And really, who doesn't want clowns stealing fertilizer and nicknacks to make low quality meth in maintenance?