Robotic Organs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Robotic Organs

Post by cancer_engine » #217286

Create robotic versions of all the organs so that if someone loses a lung or a heart, roboticists can give them one.
Give the robotic replacements tiny buffs like robot lungs are resistant to hot and cold air, and robot heart cannot have heart attacks that are caused chemically. Balance it by making the organs fail when emp'd.
Robotic tongues silence someone when they are empd.
Robotic eyes blind when empd, but should have the advantage of being easier to add augments to.
Also make it possible to put robotic brains in humans that are augmented with an android head.

This should sync well with the recent code change that added the "android" race. Now there can be actual legit androids that have no human parts at all instead of being weird metal boxes filled with flesh.

Also, completely augmented humans/androids should be immune to chemicals and have no blood.

Edit: robotic heads should also prevent ear damage because ear organs arn't a thing and androids cant receive ear fixing chems. Alternatively, make ears an organ and give robotic ears the advantage of not being deafable, but the disadvantage of failing for a short time if there is an emp.
Last edited by cancer_engine on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Robotic Organs

Post by PKPenguin321 » #217288

Prosthetic organs, sure. Prosthetic organs with buffs? Ehhhhhh balance memes
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #217289

PKPenguin321 wrote:Prosthetic organs, sure. Prosthetic organs with buffs? Ehhhhhh balance memes
They have huge downsides though. If you get empd you have a heart attack, cant speak, cant see. Sounds rough.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #217291

yeah true but EMPs are kind of a balance anomaly because rare etc
Spoiler:
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #217292

PKPenguin321 wrote:yeah true but EMPs are kind of a balance anomaly because rare etc
Perhaps robotic eyes can cause sensor overload from flashes?
What if the robotic head is taken as a bundle that comes with the robotic eyes and robotic tongues (and robotic ears if those are added), so as to add a bunch of downsides.
Same for the chest, it can be taken with the really dangerously emp-able heart and lungs, and perhaps it can be made so that shocks stop the lungs temporarily as well?
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #217295

also I'd like to make the distinction that robotic organs from robotics should be different from prosthetic organs grown in the medbay organ machine, but yeah, I think that prosthetic organs should be added too.
Prosthetic - no upsides or downsides
Robotic - upsides and downsides
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #217381

Before you worry about balance, remember that RnD has an implant that shortens an stun to 2 seconds and it STILL is rarely used. Requiring someone to do surgery is a big downside to implants, which justifies them having a few buffs, on top of their EMP vulnerability.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #217394

'Requiring another player to be cooperative and remotely competent' is always a downside.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #217437

Professor Hangar wrote:'Requiring another player to be cooperative and remotely competent' is always a downside.
Last time I've wanted to be augmented, the roboticist killed me due to his incompetence. He then tried to revive and cryo me repeatedly, but he fucked up surgery so bad, I died instantly after being revived due to all the blood loss.
Bring back papercult.

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #217485

I wanna know how people still fuck up surgery in this day and age when you have a computer console in both dedicated surgery areas that literally tells you what to do next.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #217488

I'm willing to code this while trying to fix/update my pr
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #217493

I am fully okay with removing mechs from robotics (it's not like anybody actually uses them), if robotics gets full Deus Ex treatment in return.
Bring back papercult.

cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #217499

InsaneHyena wrote:I am fully okay with removing mechs from robotics (it's not like anybody actually uses them), if robotics gets full Deus Ex treatment in return.
I like mechs quite a lot, the super duty tier tools and weapons are pretty amusing to me. I think it's funny how strong a ripley's "fire extinguisher" is for instance.
However, I do think it would be cool if robotics moved away from a mech focus and towards an augmentation focus.
Really late in research tech levels there should be some kind of automatic self surgery machine.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #217511

If they streched into the bio 6 or + territory i would be fine with it given the the buffs and downsides attached.

EMP's are not as rare as you think, you can make a easy EMP with a yellow slime or uranium emp reagent mixture.

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #217556

>they are not that rare guys, you can make them with (random slime that takes significant time to breed) and (uncommon material only found on the asteroid plus access to a chem dispenser)
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #217562

And at least 2 TCs from a traitor uplink/Wizard's spell/Changeling evolution/Blob reagent/Cult magic/Armoury rifle/R&D rifles and, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Special OPs crate from cargo (that come with a box of EMP grenades) freely available without an emag now?

EMPs are common as muck for the people who are the ones who are bound to make the most use of them, you're turning EMPs into a meme now.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #217577

it is funny when people reference 2 TC EMPs because i'm the guy that made them cost that much

despite this you still wont see an EMP used in some (most?) rounds
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #217578

That's really more of a player problem.
People don't realise how much the EMP flashlight absolutely wrecks sec. It turns off their headset, drains their taser, partially depletes their stunbaton and burns out their flashes. If they have NVGs or HUD implants, they get blinded and stunned and if they have augments can be 2 hit critted if completely augmented. If they have the reviver implant, they'll get a heart attack, no-drops? More like yes-throws. I believe the CNS rebooter is also a free stun if that gets EMPed but I can't recall.

It can also unlock lockers/crates, stun borgs, drain APCs, break consoles and shock doors - if you're savvy enough to make use of them. Getting chased into maint? Close the door behind you, EMP it a few times and enjoy the sound of a sec off getting roasted because their gloves aren't shock-resistant.

You could make EMP flashlights free and people still wouldn't use them because it doesn't really occur to people how useful they are.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #217616

Anonmare wrote:I wanna know how people still fuck up surgery in this day and age when you have a computer console in both dedicated surgery areas that literally tells you what to do next.
Utter ignorance and refusal to follow instructions, generally.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #217636

PKPenguin321 wrote:>they are not that rare guys, you can make them with (random slime that takes significant time to breed) and (uncommon material only found on the asteroid plus access to a chem dispenser)
Botany too dont forget (glowberry). Slimes are RNG and slimes only mutate as fast as they eat monkies even with the most efficient xenobio setup.

Ion guns and carbines (rnd buildable with silver) too, so a well placed shot/random event might short circuit them.

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #217769

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:>they are not that rare guys, you can make them with (random slime that takes significant time to breed) and (uncommon material only found on the asteroid plus access to a chem dispenser)
Botany too dont forget (glowberry). Slimes are RNG and slimes only mutate as fast as they eat monkies even with the most efficient xenobio setup.

Ion guns and carbines (rnd buildable with silver) too, so a well placed shot/random event might short circuit them.
>berries that take significant time to grow/mutate
>the one gun in the deepest depths of security that the warden will never let you have/that got lost
>the guns science never prints and needs significant time to research + lavaland exclusive materials
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #217771

Remove emps so people will stop using them as an excuse to add op stuff
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #219048

Bring back stungloves but give them EMP effects instead of stunning [unless the EMP would cause you to stun, then rip] :^))))
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jembo
Byond Username: Jembo

Post by Jembo » #219225

We already have implants / organ manipulation that gives a nice bonus effect. As well as mega viruses with the proper materials are very useful. What's the big deal about adding organs? People are way to quick to shit on a fun idea that barely effect the game. And require the complete trust of another player / players to get.
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #219228

Jembo wrote:We already have implants / organ manipulation that gives a nice bonus effect. As well as mega viruses with the proper materials are very useful. What's the big deal about adding organs? People are way to quick to shit on a fun idea that barely effect the game. And require the complete trust of another player / players to get.
Its not about robotic organs being better, its about how stupid it is that a fully augmented person still has meat inside of them
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #219347

For balance, and I agree with the addition of this, I would think that flashes would be a better way to balance. Now, that obviously wouldn't make sense for anything but robotic eyes, but uh, add it for robotic eyes.
Also, aren't positronic brains already robotic brains and would systematically function the same? Could this not be a way to get people back in the round? To make androids that have positronic brains? Like how do you make a robotic brain? Isn't that just a computer? The brain is only part of the body that is "necessary". It's the system that holds the host, so even code-wise it wouldn't make sense, would it?
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #220167

420goslingboy69 wrote:Also, aren't positronic brains already robotic brains and would systematically function the same? Could this not be a way to get people back in the round? To make androids that have positronic brains? Like how do you make a robotic brain? Isn't that just a computer? The brain is only part of the body that is "necessary". It's the system that holds the host, so even code-wise it wouldn't make sense, would it?
Sorry buddy, I already beat you to that idea: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/14054, but was met with rejection. I wish you luck if you want to try it.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #220750

the thing is balancing them to be weak to emps but not making it an instant kill.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #220901

InsaneHyena wrote:I am fully okay with removing mechs from robotics (it's not like anybody actually uses them), if robotics gets full Deus Ex treatment in return.
Remove all combat mechs and this is golden. We will also not likely get an auto-surgery machine of any sort (I suggested some time ago myself), because then R&D will just do all the research, and then jack himself full of augs with the auto-machine and be a walking shithead. No real way around it and needing cooperation is one of the few stop-gap measures for keeping augs from being super prevalent given their perks and (not often used) downsides.

We do need replacement organs of some sort, even maybe a 'medium' range that is more robust than the normal organ to prevent damage but not really there to give a perk outside of durability. Why, you may ask, and will explain: We need more organ-failures, through varied means. Being radiated by the singulo should make your lungs go 'bad' where you start coughing up blood every so often. Brain tumors. Spontaneous, inflamed appendix (in this case, it should actually be explosive thanks to the magical rays of lord sing), mutated split tongue for random rasping you radiated hillbilly you, and blood clot problems, because why not, we need more blood-related issues.

Several augs (blood-cleansing filter on the heart) or prosthetic replacement/upgrades could easily be the answer, letting us actually mess with organs more. Because really, we had inflamed appendix for years. We actually have lungs and such now, they need to get used as a mechanic outside of just having them spill out from an e-sword.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #220911

>Removing all but the ripley, oddy and debatably the honk

GENIUS
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #220934

Add Cybernetic enhancements on the same line as Reviver, CNS booster, etc for this. Still require a large amount of research and materials to achieve, and provide minor boosts all around for the effort to make them. Add in EMP weakness to compensate for it, but if you have gotten the research needed to get them, odds are you have access to Uranium, the ion carbine, etc.

Don't make it possible to install right at round start, something that needs a bit of effort and work. As it stands, the various implants are kind of lack luster. I've dropped stuff while I had an Anti-Drop implant installed. What?

Cybernetic Heart: Produces small amounts of O- blood until owner is back at 100% blood.

Cybernetic Lung: Filters anything besides O2 from the air, making you immune to No2, plasma, etc.

Cybernetic Liver: Filters toxin damage slower.

Cybernetic Eyes: Just like normal eyes, but you can install eye augments by just targeting your eyes and clicking yourself with help intent.

Cybernetic Ears: Prevents deafness. That's it.

Skull Jack: Allows you to install brain implants like cybernetic eyes.

Triple Strength Myomers: Reduces slow from exosuits

Wired Reflexes: Gives a small bonus to movement speed.

All of these can be locked away behind a high tech requirement, and a fairly pricey building cost. Then you need to get them installed by a doctor or roboticist. Yes, a lot of them are OMG overpowered! But really, the selection for implants leaves MUCH to be desired.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag