Wizard Spell Combos

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PathOfChaos1
Byond Username: Pathofchaos1

Wizard Spell Combos

Post by PathOfChaos1 » #220868

So the name of the game is combining your spells to have Improved versions of them, but as "this tidbit credit to steelpoint" Is that you lose out on the individual spells themselves. Each of these combo spells has a number of disadvantages tied to them. Longer cooldown, perhaps a loss on certain effects that made them good/bad in the first place, but it gives wizard a new variety, and twist on certain spells. Without being that code intensive as you would (Hopefully) Use already present code to make the spells function. I hope this gives inspiration to the great coders out there to tweak this,or mull over for a while.

Flame Seekers
Spoiler:
Magic Missile + Fireball
It turns magic missile into a damaging spell allowing fireballs to track and fire at everyone in the room. The downside is Fireball loses out on its AoE explosion, Some damage, and the stun time is shorter than what MM proper gives. It retains fireballs ability to catch you on fire. Fire the Flame Seekers in a room see everyone drop for a moment take a bit of immediate damage, and be caught on fire (or have a chance to be caught on fire)
Safety Blink
Spoiler:
Blink + Repulse
Longer cool down but safer blinks allowing you to clear the area where you land every blink. Perhaps having a shorter knockback radius?
Time Collapse
Spoiler:
Repulse + Time Stop
A delayed time stop that attempts to pull in as many near by people perhaps giving time stop a projected 1 or 2 tile extra range by pulling in people from outside time stops normal range? Down side is Less time stopped, and longer cooldown, but whats better more time or safety time?
Lightning Barricade
Spoiler:
Forcewall + Lightning Bolt
Relinquishing your offensive tool to improve upon a defensive one. Instead of creating a silly wall that only blocks passage. It now has a shocking touch like electric grilles. The plus side is you can use it robeless, and has a shorter cooldown than lightning bolt but slightly longer than forcewall. Of course you could hurt yourself, and the crew can dodge the damage with the prized yellow gloves!
HorseHead Switch!
Spoiler:
Mindswap + HorseHead Curse
Leaving your victim with a horsehead gives you ample time to run, and secure your spare wizarding outfit or to hide among the crowd. If they can't tell everyone your a wizard of course they will attempt to seek righteous vengeance! While you cry for help, and let the sec team put the boots to the hapless citizen. He will only be able to Eye you in disgust as you saunter off to replace another crew member.
These Ideas, and more can be expanded upon. I could keep coming up with more ideas that fit somewhat well together, but I will leave it at these few to sell the idea. I think it would bring a lot more fun to wizarding rounds, and allow the wizard to really switch up play styles while still incorporating their favorite spells somehow. Each can have Greater, or lesser disadvantages, and advantages associated with combining spells. I believe it is worth a try considering most people expect absolute memes from wizard rounds. Thanks for reading.

Tl;Dr Make spells mesh together to make a new, but similar type of spell.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Wizard Spell Combos

Post by D&B » #220879

Seems like it makes two spells weaker rather than one stronger spell.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #220883

They can be balanced so they're worth their cost, for example by reducing the cooldown.

Other ideas:
Teslaball
Spoiler:
Fireball + Lightning
Replaces the explosion with tesla bolts (not the machinery-blowing kind). This means a wider-range stun and more damage, although it's less effective on insulated targets.
Cryptomancy
Spoiler:
Knock + Electromagnetic Disruption
Emags all machinery/borgs in range. Mostly a gamble, since if there are no borgs it's worse than both the original spells.
Blinding Smoke
Spoiler:
Blind + Smoke
Smoke that causes temporary blindness, much like the old shadowling smoke.
Teleport Other
Spoiler:
Teleport + EI NATH
Like Disintegrate, but you pick a location and you'll teleport the target there instead of gibbing it. Much lower cooldown. Targets could have some magical cuffs on arrival, like swarmers do. Can be used on self, without cuffs; it's not inherently better than base teleport due to the need for hands: can't be used if stunned.
Disable
Spoiler:
Mutate + Blind
Provokes a random disability on the target.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #220892

The reason I think this idea is fine is simply because the Wizard is, by nature, a very overpowered antagonist. Really only constrained by the skill of the player.

Considering these spell combos are, while unique, are not as powerful as going for ole faithful such as jaunt/fireball/blink/etc. It encourages people to experiment with different spells.

If anyone dislikes the power of the wizards, offering them ways to experiment with unique, but not as powerful, spell combos may be a interesting way to liven, enhance and diversify the experience.
PathOfChaos1

Post by PathOfChaos1 » #220933

My thought process was to balance them so that it wasn't always an obvious choice. You may want fireballs AoE over the area damage. The gist was to have spells of Similar worth as the two spells making it. I wanted to point out possible dis-advantages because wizman is always a balance if your not picking Ei nath, mm, jaunt and what have you. I wanted engaging, but equally powerful spells for what you are paying into them. If you wanted to go the route of both spells simply make a grander spell with little to no downside I'm all for that. I just wanted to present possible balancing acts. To induce a discussion on how the spells would react.

I personally like one I thought about.

Rupture.
Ei'nath + Lightning bolt.
Instead of gibbing a target it leaps from target to target inducing massive bleeding, and or organ failure dependent on the charge of the lightning bolt.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #220939

I was also leaning towards giving spells for niche playstyles (I.E. the teleport other spell). Wizard mode relies on the wizard doing gimmicks to be fun, so let's give him a wide choice of gimmicks.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #220941

The more gimmicks the wizard has, the more entertaining it is for everyone involved.

I remember when the Number One load out was MM+Jaunt+Teleport+EINATH. It was the most boring of play styles, because all that happens is "Wizard jaunts in, MMs, Ei-naths one person, and teleports away. That was it, and it was so boring.

Now we got staves, wands, relics, curses, a GOOD array of robeless spells, and all that other jazz. Comboing spells together will just make things even more hilarious when fighting them/as them
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #220943

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:The more gimmicks the wizard has, the more entertaining it is for everyone involved.

I remember when the Number One load out was MM+Jaunt+Teleport+EINATH. It was the most boring of play styles, because all that happens is "Wizard jaunts in, MMs, Ei-naths one person, and teleports away. That was it, and it was so boring.

Now we got staves, wands, relics, curses, a GOOD array of robeless spells, and all that other jazz. Comboing spells together will just make things even more hilarious when fighting them/as them
technically is a wombo combo
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #220979

Grenade Trick
Fireball + Disintegrate
Touch attack that stuns the victim, confuses them, and causes them to explode after several seconds.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #220992

ethereal jaunt + fireball = flame cloak
you can still pass through walls etc like with jaunt but are no longer invisible during the jaunt (you're still damage immune though). you turn into a ball of fire that deals burn and ignites any targets it touches, and when the spell ends it triggers a medium explosion around the wizard that damages everything but the wizard himself. it could also leave trails that ignite, which could damage the wizard. basically less stealthy offensive jaunt with the potential to backfire and kill the wizard the same way fireball can kill him

ethereal jaunt + smoke = cloak of smoke
like regular jaunt, but you now spew concealing smoke constantly during the jaunt and release an extra big cloud once the jaunt is over, heavily concealing you but also potentially giving away your position via smoke trails. good if you prefer using jaunt as a defensive option instead of using it to travel.

blink + magic missile = telemissiles
very, very fast magic missile bolts that cause the target to blink on hit and stuns them for about half as long as a regular mm. essentially a more defensive magic missile.

forcewall + knock = blight of bolts
closes, bolts, and disables AI control of any nearby airlocks
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #221010

Lightning Bolt + Blink: Shocking Stride.

Like blink, but instead of making smoke on exit, it causes a lightning bolt to arc from where you were to where you are, shocking anyone caught between in. Slightly longer cooldown, and no smoke to help cover your escape. An offensive blink.

Charge + Knock: Overload

Causes all doors within sight to become shocked and have their timing and safety features disabled.

Knock + Fireball: Meteor

Shoot a meteor shot (Like the tech shotgun shell) that explodes on impact, and sends doors flying (Like meteor shot). More brute damage, no burning.

MM + Mind Swap: Who's Who?!

Any target hit by the MM has their mind swapped with the next target hit by the MM. Does no damage, very short stun.

Mutate + Fireball + Ei Nath: Dragon Form
Turn into a lesser ash drake for 20 seconds.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #221058

Ei Nath and Knock should be a Falcon Punch.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
jaxy15
Byond Username: Jaxy15

Post by jaxy15 » #221083

Flesh Meteor
Disintegrate + Repulse
Works like Disintegrate, but the victim is thrown back, destroying objects and dealing heavy damage to any mob in their path. After 5 seconds, they are gibbed.

Imbue Fire
Fireball + Charge
Enchants the object in the caster's active hand with fire magic. Melee attacks will do an additional 30 burn damage and set fire to mobs.

Imbue Lightning
Lightning Bolt + Charge
Works similar to Imbue Fire, but instead of a fire effect, it gives a weaker version of Mjolnir's knockback and stun.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #221085

Make 'em gib when hitting a wall instead.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #221093

I think the common ground here is not exactly Spell Combos as much as spell mods, which are proably easier to code and to use.

Basically, if you buy Fireball, for example, you then get the option to buy the Teslaball modifier; buying it will morph your fireball spell into the new spell. Basically so you can code the modded spell as a variant of the original one instead of a new spell. Plus it allows for better price ranging: some mods may even be free, if they offer no direct benefit and are instead a sidegrade.

So, how i'd write the list so far:
Magic Missile
-✓Flame Seekers: Throws fireballs, which explode in an AoE, instead of missiles. The AoE makes it really dangerous to use in melee, though. Cost: 2 points.
-✓Telemissiles: Faster missiles, and blinks targets on hit. Better at defense, bad for stunning and killing. Cost: 1 point.
-Mind Melders: Swaps the minds of the targets hit. Wizard is unaffected. Less stun. Cost: 1 point.

Fireball
-✓Teslaball: Tesla bolts on hit instead of explosion, resulting is a more reliable stun and more AoE, but lose on fire damage and can't hurt shock immune targets. Cost: 1 point.
-✓Meteor: Shoots a meteorshot instead of a fireball. no AoE, but high-ish damage and can knock machinery back. Cost: 1 point.

Blink
-✓Repulsion: Repulses after blinking. Higher cooldown. Cost: 2 points.
-Shocking Stride: Causes a tesla shock between the start and arrival, stunning and damaging targets hit, but revealing your new location. Cost: 1 point.

Ethereal Jaunt
-Flame Form: Turn into a (visible) cloud of fire, igniting on touch and keeping the mobility, but not the stealth, of jaunt. Cost: 1 point.
-Smoke Form: Emit smoke clouds while jaunting, clouding the enemies' vision. Reveals your position, though. Cost: 0 points.

Smoke
-✓Blinding Smoke: The smoke causes temporary blindness on those that cross it. Cost: 1 point.
-✓Hippie Smoke: Smoke contains mindbreaker and space drugs. Cost: 1 point.

Horsehead Curse
-✓Curse of the Cluwne: Curses the target with clown (i couldn't find cluwne sprites) clothes and clumsiness. They will only be able to speak in HONKS. Requires robes and has a longer cooldown. 1 point.

Lesser Summon Guns
-✓Summon Chaos Guns: Summons a random high-power weapon every time it's fired. Sniper Rifle, staff of chaos, pulse rifle, tesla gun, x-ray rifle, gyrojet pistol, all with one shot. Five guns instead of 30. Quick-fire at your own risk. 2 points. (3?)

Blind
-✓Disable: Instead of blinding, causes a random, permanent, genetic disability. Cost: 1 point.

Time Stop
-✓Timefall: Attracts mobs/objects before activating, trapping them within. Delays the activation, but mostly an upgrade. Cost: 2 points.
-Time Shatter: Turns everyone affected into statues. Should probably be temporary, to keep it a bit fair. Higher cooldown. Cost: 2 points (basically extra duration)

Instant Summons
-Disarming Bolt: Shoots a bolt that teleports the target's held items into your own hands. Will work like fireball for targeting. Cost: 1 point.

Spacetime Distortion
-Remove Friction: Lubes the floors in a long range around the wizard. The wizard is not immune. 0 points.

Force Wall
-✓Lightning Barrier: The wall schocks targets who touch it without gloves. Direct upgrade, but not particularly strong. Cost: 1 point.
-✓Firewall: The wall can be crossed, but sets you on fire if you do. Cost: 1 point.

Mindswap
-✓Mute: Mute the mindswap target after the switch, to prevent being ratted out instantly. Cost: 2 points.

Disintegrate
-✓Teleport Other: The target is not gibbed but teleported to a beacon you set, much like an instant support holoparasite. Can be cast on self. Cost: 1 point.
-✓Grenade Trick: Does not directly gib. Instead, it confuses the target, and after some time the target will explode causing damage around him. (Minibomb size?) Drawback is that the target isn't harmless while you wait for the boom. Cost: 1 point.
-Flesh Meteor: Target is thrown away, and is gibbed on hit, dealing high damage to other targets hit. Cost: 1 point.

Charge
-✓Imbue Fire: Makes the weapon deal burn damage instead of brute, doubles the damage and adds the ability to ignite, if the target has fire stacks. No longer charges. Cost: 1 point.

Lightning Bolt
-✓Rupture: Causes bleeding/organ failure instead of a direct shock.

Knock
-✓Cryptomancy: Emags machinery/bots/cyborgs instead of opening them. Drawback: no longer opens bolted doors, higher cooldown. Cost: 0 points.
-✓Blight of Bolts: Closes, bolts and cuts AI control (Power too?) of airlocks near the wizard. Cost: 0 points.

Wild Shapeshift
This spell would start out with harmless animals, like a mouse, a parrot or a corgi, and costing 1 point, then you could buy more potent forms as mods. You should be able to swap forms instead of being locked into one.
-✓Dragon Form: Lesser Ash Drake, transformation not permanent. Cost: 2 points.
-✓Construct Form: Unlocks cult construct forms, of either cult. (Cogscarab, wraith, juggernaut, anima fragment). 1 point.
-✓Magicarp Form: Unlocks Magicarp and Chaos Carp. 1 point.
-✓Bot Form: Unlocks station bots forms, from floorbot to ED-209. 1 point.
-✓Lava Form: Unlocks Lavaland mob forms: legion, goliath and watcher. 1 point.
Last edited by XDTM on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Kel-the-Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #221318

A few more ideas for the less picked ones:

Smoke > Hippie Cloud: Releases a cloud of mind breaker toxin

Blind > Seizure: Instead of just going blind, the target has a brief seizure

Force Wall > Wall of Flames: Passable wall, but hits the target with the same flame stacks as running over lava, making death almost assured if they don't have a fire suit or extinguisher handy.

Lightning Bolt > Lightning Storm: Causes lightning bolts to spawn randomly around the wizard for as long as they channel. Can't move while channeling, but they are immune to lightning while doing so

Mind Swap > Baleful Polymorph: The targets mind is swapped with the nearest AI mob.

Time Stop > Haste: The wizard has all stuns cut in half and move speed doubled
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #221537

these ideas are creative and I like them :)
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #221813

[youtube]93Ij5WIcok[/youtube]

Lightning + Forcwall: toss bottles full of mini tesla balls that create shock traps, or bounce off walls and people doing shocks.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #222666

FYI these are being coded right now (look at my last post to see the progress). If you have any more suggestions i'd like to hear them.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

PathOfChaos1

Post by PathOfChaos1 » #222690

Thanks XDTM I can't wait to see what magic you make of these pun fully intended. Mods, combos it doesn't matter I just hope the rest of the community thinks it will be just as cool as I do if not more.

Time Stop
Time Shatter: Delayed activation but those caught inside it are turned into statues forever. 2 point (3?)

Horse head curse
Clowning Around: Instead of just giving a stuck horse head. It strips them of all gear and gives them cursed clown clothing , with disabilities :honkman: 1-2 points.

Space Time Distortion
Lube Space: You've absolutely ruined your chances of moving around without jaunt but the crew have already been slipped. They are doomed. 1-2 points

Lesser Summon Guns
Overkill: These guns are not nearly big enough. Summon grenade launchers in each hand dropping the empty ones only for freshly filled explosive death to be in its place. High chance of self harming the user but with this much power who cares? 3 points

Instant Summons
Disarming bolt: Fires a bolt that whoever it hits summons everything in their hands in your hands instead.

Disregard all, or think of better names, or point costs for each. I may come up with more ideas later. Thanks again XDTM for coding the idea I thought would be really cool.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #222735

Pretty nice ideas, added to the main post
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #222739

PathOfChaos1 wrote:Clowning Around: Instead of just giving a stuck horse head. It strips them of all gear and gives them cursed clown clothing , with disabilities :honkman: 1-2 points.
Name it Curse of the Cluwne and make the sufferer unable to say anything but honk and it's got my vote.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #223392

I'll be done soon, if you have other ideas post them before i put up the PR.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #223394

Summn Guns -> Summon Grenades one with random payloads and timer lengths