Skeleton Colonists

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Skeleton Colonists

Post by PKPenguin321 » #224036

I've ran this on sybil a whole bunch and the players love it
Lavaland ruin that is kind of like golems. Their only rules are to 1. pretend humans (living and dead) don't exist. 2. stay away from non-skelly unnatural structures (mining outpost, the station, etc). 3. Not to harm their fellow skelly.

It starts with a single Calcium King. When running it as an admin event, I've given him a locker with 50 sheets of every material, a crown, an RCD with one extra ammo cart, mining jumpsuits, a bluespace shelter capsule, and a toolbelt with an experimental welder and welding goggles. When they use their shelter capsule, I place an autolathe in it. I usually hide a pickaxe somewhere, and once they start mining I place an ore redemption machine someplace. This is probably really excessive and could be cut back a lot with official coded-in features, but I'll get to those in a little bit.

The way it works is simple. The main skeleton starts on a stranded island that's around 4x5 in size, surrounded by lava on all sides with the mainland just out of reach. Every structure that has at least 2x2 tiles of space in it complete with floor tiles, air-tight walls/doors/windows, and some form of lighting (including a flashlight on the floor) that was built by a skeleton and deemed a new area got a new skeleton spawned into it that a player could jump into. Rooms that are larger follow a formula of (tiles - 4)/6 rounded down to at least 1 = # of new skellies spawned. Following just these simple rules, skellies are able to quickly make a nice little colony.

The real deal would obviously be different. I don't think giving them a full locker with every material in it is super balanced for an official ruin thing, so instead we could perhaps give the Calcium King a large pickaxe and a boat to go to/from the island to collect materials. He could have a custom bluespace capsule that has an ore redemption machine instead of a GPS, and an autolathe built into the corner. He'd also need a mining ID to use the ore redeemer. Special blueprints could be given that automatically spawn the correct number of skeletons when a new area is declared with them. A special RCD that can take any form of unrefined ore as ammunition would also be greatly beneficial.

I also think a new feature could be added to area creation, where when the area is declared, a prompt appears asking what type of room it should be. A civilian dorm could be made, which would cause mixed wardrobe lockers and a dresser to spawn. A botanical area could be made, which creates a seed vendor, seed extractor, a puddle, some dirt piles, a nutrient bottle or two, and maybe a biogenerator (more proper botany equipment, like buckets, could be made in the autolathe). A mining area could spawn a pickaxe per new skelly created, with one kinetic accelerator and one ore scanner.

It might be convoluted, but I've run it manually and it's really, really fun. If somebody were to tackle it and code it to be official, that'd be really cool.
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Skeleton Colonists

Post by ShadowDimentio » #224040

It'd be way easier to roll this into ash liggers by giving them a smelter machine from old mining, then in addition to getting your UNGA on you could build a camp and UNGA civilization.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #224042

Shit i'd rather just see this outright replace ash liggers
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #224053

I watched PKP run this and it definitely would be a cute addition to lavaland.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #224082

Eh free golems are pretty chill you don't really need huggies rules other than to maybe not cannibalise the mining station. Which wouldn't be worth it anyway time wise versus just walking pick axes into walls.

If you make them unable to use guns fucking with miners fnr really gives little of worth other than their explorer suit.
Saegrimr wrote:Shit i'd rather just see this outright replace ash liggers
No lavaland role needs to replace the others and they can be complimentary or predatory upon each other. I remember wading through a suicide plantman's insane bomb lemon kamikaze attacks as an ash walker it was sorta fun.
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #224105

That sounds neat, but the skellys themselves don't really have anything to do with the rest of the idea, which seems like a waste of a perfectly good theme
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #224107

You should code it I believe in you.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #224108

letshavecake wrote:That sounds neat, but the skellys themselves don't really have anything to do with the rest of the idea, which seems like a waste of a perfectly good theme
I guess you could make them like lemmings or something but it's just easier to use existing assets
Kor wrote:You should code it I believe in you.
I might look into it later
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #224112

PKPenguin321 wrote: I guess you could make them like lemmings or something but it's just easier to use existing assets
I meant more like, make it skeleton-themed colonization
Necromancers do need stuff built, and they can't always be assed to keep track of their minions
Could be as simple as having claimed areas turn metal structures into cult walls/floors, and maybe having a simple soulstone-red supermatter recolor be the macguffin in charge of spawning
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #224166

letshavecake wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote: I guess you could make them like lemmings or something but it's just easier to use existing assets
Necromancers do need stuff built, and they can't always be assed to keep track of their minions
Could be as simple as having claimed areas turn metal structures into cult walls/floors, and maybe having a simple soulstone-red supermatter recolor be the macguffin in charge of spawning
Rogue AI reanimating humanity in any way it can.
bingo there's your theme roll with it.

(don't look at SOMA it's not theft I swear)
私は完璧
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #224175

goddamnit now I just imagined little green-haired guys wandering lavaland in straight lines and stumbling blindly into lava and NOW i have this fucking midi playing in my head
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #224183

Screemonster wrote:
goddamnit now I just imagined little green-haired guys wandering lavaland in straight lines and stumbling blindly into lava and NOW i have this fucking midi playing in my head
Grand.
[youtube]i_Bf59JHb3w[/youtube]
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #228432

letshavecake wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote: -snip-
-snipping-
Swap the palette for the ashwalker hut then, and give the ashies a ooga booga tribal hut with some kind of thatching/bones or something.

Because ashwalkers don't really need cult walls they can't touch whilst the skellies if they are literally a separate cult religion (to stop siding with nar nar/ratvar and tie into the ssreligion PR) could probably recycle the HOG stuff especially all the freaky magic xray eyes popping out and in all the time
letshavecake wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote: -snip-
-snip-

So a bit of lore we could work with, they are stranded autonomous wizard cast off's working off the magical dark energies. (feasable lore if they aren't happy go lucky undead eskimos?)

I also touched upon this in my own thread Skeleton Colonists/Undead Eskimo Ghost Role
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Based roughly on recent rounds in which admins ran a experiment of putting skeleton to live within a (sort of) self sustainable sphere materially because they are not acted on by hunger or temprature really.

Inside a full wilderness microcosm biospehere/(alternative map?), the skeletons live by cutting down the trees for bonfire wood, making shelters and such. Surrounded by snow they'll quickly outgrow their cold home and have to go out and face dangerous monsters who have *BONES* and corpses needed to turn into bone brothers by literally constructing them on a altar.

> Ideally would want to be seperate to ashwalkers by some definition (similar scavenging style) else this would just be powercreep, in my own mind the undead eskimos are somewhere between full teched golems & stone age scavenger ashwalkers by having greater reliance on preserving & utilising limited resources and how to manage the basics of collecting and applying those.

This isn't a terrible fleshed out (har har) idea, but some more feedback as to mechanics to snowball it up would be great. :honk:
ShadowDimentio wrote:SNOWMEN

+HEALED BY COLD TEMPERATURES
-MELTS IN WARM TEMPERATURES
-TAKES X3 BURN DAMAGE

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #228440

Am I the only one on this god damned server who opposes compartmentalization of fun instead of focusing on station proper?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #228443

Lumbermancer wrote:Am I the only one on this god damned server who opposes compartmentalization of fun instead of focusing on station proper?
These off-station civilizations are currently pretty barebones, but could eventually evolve into things that have entertaining interactions with the station, rather than being isolated autism forts that occasionally visit with and/or murder miners
Being a negative nathan will only make coders afraid to improve them for fear of angering the playerbase, but also afraid to remove them for the same reason, so they'll be shit forever
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #228444

Lumbermancer wrote:Am I the only one on this god damned server who opposes compartmentalization of fun instead of focusing on station proper?
Make more imaginitive suggestions for the station then tbf.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #228451

Move station to lava planet.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #228466

Go look in the lavaland compound thread, you'll be like that Indian guy with the trash.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #228640

Lumbermancer wrote:Move station to lava planet.
I have actually been working on a lavabase map for awhile now. But its nowhere near finished since I keep disliking it and starting from borderline scratch.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #229409

Lumbermancer wrote:Move station to lava planet.
Boss rush every shift
The future is horrible!