What if instead we made gunplay more dynamic and reactive?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

What if instead we made gunplay more dynamic and reactive?

Post by Lumbermancer » #232371

If you go prone, you will not get hit by stray projectiles, unless they are targeted directly at you. What if you could go prone behind a table and not be hit at all?

What if standing behind table or chair conveyed a chance to miss for incoming projectiles? Surely it would make gunfights more tactical and less spammy. What if you could flip tables to create rudimentary barricades as well?

What if lasers bounced off windows, and bullets pierced them cleanly through sending a cloud of shards behind?

I"m sure there are more things that would make firefights more engaging.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: What if instead we made gunplay more dynamic and reactiv

Post by CPTANT » #232372

The ranged stuns and most lethals being shit is what kills ranged gunplay.

But any attempt to change this has been tanked.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #232412

firefights pretty much boil down to "you cannot get hit (behind cover) and win" or "you can get hit (not behind cover) and lose"

...so actually yeah, what you propose with making more kinds of dynamic cover probably would work. sec barricades are a good (although extremely powerful) example of this, since you can shoot through them but only if you're close enough.

table flipping when? i think it's a cool idea
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #232419

Another codebase already has table flipping for a purpose like this. /vg/ I think?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #232427

CM has table flipping for marines to shoot over, it blocks ayyy spit.

If you want tactical gun play, make stuns antag only.

Change station-based stuns to stamina only.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #232460

John_Oxford wrote:CM has table flipping for marines to shoot over, it blocks ayyy spit.

stupid
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #232471

Saegrimr wrote:Another codebase already has table flipping for a purpose like this. /vg/ I think?
Yeah, they do
You flip a table and then it acts like a directional window in front of you
I think they just block all projectiles though, so no firing over them or anything

Also, this kind of deployable cover for gunfights would work really well with the object damage system, so cover can be destroyed and you can't just sit in a table fort and be invincible
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #232512

Bay has them, too.
Tables are fun.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #232549

John_Oxford wrote:CM has table flipping for marines to shoot over, it blocks ayyy spit.

So, replace tasers with 50 holodamage disablers and have the stun-baton be an 80 holodamage, force 10 weapon?
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #232552

letshavecake wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Another codebase already has table flipping for a purpose like this. /vg/ I think?
Yeah, they do
I think they just block all projectiles though, so no firing over them or anything

Also, this kind of deployable cover for gunfights would work really well with the object damage system, so cover can be destroyed and you can't just sit in a table fort and be invincible
Security barriers fulfill this purpose and they come in grenades that deploy them wherever they are needed. Sec players need to be educated on this and learn how to use them. A player standing adjacent to the barrier can fire over it unobstructed.
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #232553

Gun Hog wrote:
letshavecake wrote:
Yeah, they do

Security barriers fulfill this purpose and they come in grenades that deploy them wherever they are needed. Sec players need to be educated on this and learn how to use them. A player standing adjacent to the barrier can fire over it unobstructed.
But that's not tacticool though
Action heroes don't take the time to set up giant police issue roadblocks when they need cover in a gunfight, and most wouldn't even have one in the first place
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #232579

Cw3040 wrote:

So, replace tasers with 50 holodamage disablers and have the stun-baton be an 80 holodamage, force 10 weapon?
Tried this for tasers, people got triggered.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #232647

If you want to nerf tasers, make them have one or two shots, but after you hit someone you can keep them stunned as long as you want. You know, like real tasers work. It would be used only to make an arrest, when hit is all but guaranteed, and disablers would be more combat/pursuit oriented.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #232664

good idea luber, too bad nobody will be bothered to do it but!
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #232707

Can we have actual automatic guns.

Mortar strikes too so we can all hang around the bar before shellshock kicks in
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #233764

Hmm.

I did a pretty thorough tabletop RPG combat system that aimed to translate 3rd-person shooter gameplay (gears of war, mass effect, etc.) into tabletop. One key factor is that you chose whether your character was in an "aggressive" (gun up) or "defensive" (head down) state.

You could only shoot & take other offensive actions while aggressive. Cover was effectively a 25% miss chance when aggressive and a 75% miss chance when defensive. It worked really well, though those precise numbers were for a system where people had regenerating shields or an equivalent. Still...

You could give stuff like tables and sandbags a 35% chance to intercept a projectile (with a projectile ignoring the chance to hit any cover projectile beyond the first). Then you also have the option (some kind of hotkey toggle) to make a character crouch/huddle; this gives a flat 50% chance that any projectile which would hit them passes them by, and they can still move at walk speed or do non-offensive actions like rearranging inventory and reloading guns. Taken together, that's a 32.5% chance to be hit while crouching behind some kind of cover. Sandbags might have a 50% intercept chance and thus give a crouching target a total of 75% chance shots will miss.

No idea how you'd implement this in controls.