change who is eligible for team antag roles

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

change who is eligible for team antag roles

Post by Deitus » #234137

before we start, yes i ded pls nerf, salt salt salt, lelelelel

now that that's out of the way, i genuinely think that we need to screen who is eligible for team antag roles. newer players should not be allowed to play them, period. if they play solo tator or ling, sure, whatever, but if they actively screw over their teammates in a team antag role through ignorance of how to play it then they should not be allowed to play.

and before you say "learn by experience:" there is a difference between going in blind like so many newbies do and AT LEAST reading the damn wiki page. i have seen/played way too many rounds where cultists put runes in hallways, or nuke ops that dont use their pinpointers, or abductor partners that have no idea what they're doing. there is a time limit before people are allowed to play head roles and ai, this is literally no different, even more so. hell, i legitimately think there should be a quiz you have to take first just outlining the absolute brainless basics that you have to pass before you're allowed to play team antag. solo antag? sure learn by experience. but thats not an excuse to ruin the round for your teammates.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: change who is eligible for team antag roles

Post by danno » #234139

Deitus wrote: if they actively screw over their teammates in a team antag role through ignorance of how to play it then they should not be allowed to play.
What is: Jobban
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #234148

danno wrote:
Deitus wrote: if they actively screw over their teammates in a team antag role through ignorance of how to play it then they should not be allowed to play.
What is: Jobban
via ignorance, not intentional. the latter deserves a jobban yes.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #234178

How is a time lock of an arbitrary length going to test whether or not they've read the wiki page?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #234186

Mandatory quizzes after timers when
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #234208

WYCI
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #234213

I was thinking like a button on the ready up panel for new players that says something like "unlock antagonists" that takes you to a panel with all the antag types you can't play yet, then just pick the one you want to unlock, and have simple multiple choice questions like "Is it a good idea to free the singularity as a revolutionary?" "No, unless your head rev gives the okay", "After a long struggle, a gangster has managed to convert you to his gang. What level of violence is now appropriate towards him?" "None, now that you're converted you're on his side", etc
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #234558

this needs more legitimate discussion, the sheer amount of stupidity people exhibit during team antag roles needs to be at the VERY least curbed to an extent. changes need to be made to force these people to put in the effort to at least not be an outright hindrance to their teammates.
IrishWristWatch0
Byond Username: IrishWristWatch0

Post by IrishWristWatch0 » #234568

>ss13
>playing to win
╔═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╗
<Shaps> I still firmly believe a drunk kor is more responsible than a sober irish
Zoey Webb(Firecage): Irish. You can break any coherent discussion by mentioning 2 words
420weedscopes: I once proposed to a girl with my dick in her ass
Lzimann's best friend.
° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  ° ○ • .  .:  ★  ¸ .¸ ☆ ☾ °
╚═══════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════════╝
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #235020

While Kor is correct in the matter that a time lock won't get people to read the wiki pages, I do think that it *would* ensure that someone who is brand new to SS13 or /tg/station doesn't enable a role that they're completely unprepared for, which even if it doesn't help much, it probably can't hurt.

I really love PK's idea of a mini-questionnaire to unlock antag roles. It seems like it might be a bit tough to implement, but if we got someone capable enough to make something like that happen, I think it would be great. The best part about stuff like that is it really can't do any harm. It won't effect the seasoned players, and it might prevent a few ruined rounds, at least. It's certainly better than just relying on jobbans, because even though those will still get doled out occasionally, it would be better to prevent the round being ruined in the first place rather than to administer punishment after the fact.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #235026

Affect.
Not effect.
REEEEEEEEEE
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #235028

Time locks do nothing as most of these rolls are trial by fire to learn in the first place. They are called team antags because you're supposed to work as a team, veteran and more experienced players should be doing what they can to help new players to the role, and if that's not working just ahelp and maybe the gods will smile upon you with an admin who gives a fuck willing to show the newbie the ropes to the role, or more likely just force ghost and replace them.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #235041

Davidchan wrote:Time locks do nothing as most of these rolls are trial by fire to learn in the first place. They are called team antags because you're supposed to work as a team, veteran and more experienced players should be doing what they can to help new players to the role, and if that's not working just ahelp and maybe the gods will smile upon you with an admin who gives a fuck willing to show the newbie the ropes to the role, or more likely just force ghost and replace them.
While I agree that many of the more complicated antag roles (especially things like clockwork cult) basically require you having read the wiki or played it thoroughly, some of the simpler ones can absolutely be improved with simple experience. Things like rev and nukeops are mostly about being robust and having common sense (aka, not flashing people in full view of security, knowing how to fill your jetpack and oxygen tank so you don't die the moment you leave the syndicate ship, etc.) Having even a small modicum of experience with the game before being thrown into those roles (and god forbid, being the leaders in those roles) is a huge help.Things like knowing how to build false walls (and general construction), how to not speak over the wrong comms channels, not accidentally maiming your fellow antags, etc, can all be solved by knowing the game a bit better. It certainly won't solve all of the issues, but it could help.

And as I mentioned in the earlier post, it certainly couldn't hurt. All of us who are regulars (or were regulars) will still be able to play our favorite roles. If it turns out I'm wildly wrong and it doesn't improve things at all, no harm no foul.
DemonFiren wrote:Affect.
Not effect.
REEEEEEEEEE
YOUR GRAMMAR NAZISM DOESN'T AFFECT ME

L O O S E C A N N O N
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #235049

IrishWristWatch0 wrote:>ss13
>playing to win
The realest cancer
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #235066

Playing to win is cancer, but on the other extreme, hiding in maint as the SS Sicherheitskraft arrests everyone for processing and implanting isn't fun either.

The only real solution is ahelp if you're not sure you're up to the task. Add it in big bold 64 typeset red letters.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #235185

I think the wiki page for the antag should pop up when you get antag. Also a VERY short and simple quiz for the antag when a new player enables it
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #235339

I am banned from all team antag rolls because I said I'd suicide if I got implanted as a gangster
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #235349

How about a big, red notice that explains 1) communication is the key to successful teams and 2) how to communicate with said team?

That's like, 95% of why team antags fail. No one fuckin communicates.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #235360

Wyzack wrote:
IrishWristWatch0 wrote:>ss13
>playing to win
The realest cancer
>Not hunting those sweet, sweet valids
Do you even greyshirt?