Ideas for genetics

A place to record your ideas for the game.
kylefiredemon

Ideas for genetics

Post by kylefiredemon » #18227

I had a few ideas for genetics.

(Organic Radioactive Genetic Animal scanner machine) or O.R.G.A.S.M. : It takes simple mobs or certain player controlled beings and breaks them down in the machine and sends the data to genetic modifiers. Research level affects on what genetic sequences you get from each animal, scanner parts affects how long the process takes and the manipulators affects the success rate.

Each mob in the game will always have some form of code in the machine itself.

Goliath

Your skin feels really hard.: Your skin hardens to withstand melee attacks. It also changes your skin color to that of a Goliath skin plates.
You feel really, really heavy.: You wind up being weighed down and forced on walk until you get the SE cleaned.
Your tentacles have gone under the floor.: You've gained the Goliath ranged tentacle attack.
You have tentacles coming out of everywhere.: You have tentacles coming out of everywhere and look pretty disgusting. You cannot wear anything in the jumpsuit slot.
You've grown some skin plates.: your skin hardens to withstand projectile based weapons. You grow skin plates
Your plates and skin have fused together. This only happens when you have both the melee and bullet immunity together. Miners can also kill you to harvest your skin plates.

Basilisk

Your skin starts to crystallize.: Your skin gains ablative like qualities, it conflicts with skin plates.
You feel perpetually cold: It lowers your temperature somewhat and causes you to shiver non-stop.
Your hands feel ice cold.: It gives you the Basilisk freeze power.
Your two eyes fuse together.: It gives you a hideous massive cyclops eye. You cannot wear anything in the glasses slot.

Hive-lord

You feel has if your arms can think on their own.: You can detach your arms temporary to attack someone. You'll grow back your arms after a small amount of time.
Your skins starts peeling off.: You receive a small amount of brute damage per tick.
You feel really, really good.: Your immunity system is boosted till viruses can't affect you.

Gold-grub

You feel really hungry: You can gnaw on stuff that's nearby (Walls, airlocks and tables.)
Your body turns into a grub: You become a deformed fat-like creature. You cannot wear shoes.

That's all I got for now for the creatures from mining. I might do more with station boarded creatures like Ian and goats.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Ideas for genetics

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18257

Why
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #18261

I like that the only side-effect of becoming a hideous man-worm is inability to wear shoes (pants are fine)
looping
Byond Username: Looping

Post by looping » #18444

Gold-grub should transform you into a fat person with the fat sprite, they also constantly fart like one sneezes when affected by the common cold.
They can devour anything with enough time, including people. When they are attacked, you hear fat albert say "hey hey hey".

Hivelord can remove their limbs and throw it at the enemy, it never grows back and eventually they just slither around on their torso while bleeding out on the floor.

Basilisk become giant ice crystals, slowly freezing to death. Everyone around them feels cold as well, they are nicknamed giant ice coolers and the bartender can store beers in them. Due to the ultra-hard crystal skin, they cannot move in any way, the only way you can damage them is by pulse laser or being in the devastation range of a bomb.

Goliaths are awesome and fun and as such will not be coded in due to lack of disadvantages that cripple you completely.

This doesn't really seem like a good balanced idea, which is why it'll be a great gimmick. Many disadvantages and a few minor advantages, you suffer damage and eventually wear off the transformation due to genetic instability or you could just die because as it turns out injecting yourself with alien jizz via an orgasm is harmful, especially considering that this alien jizz is breaking down inside your body. Unstable as fuck.
appeal me now ok think about it admin u could have a friend a friend who comes down to ur house and listens to ur words but doesnt respond to them because he knows that words are for the weak and physical violence is the superior form of communication but u wont accept this ur scared ur stuck in the prefix of pretification yea thats right ur sitting there stuck to the floor from ur goopy liquid glue sweat unable tro answer the door guess whos there its my friend spooner who is requesting appeal me
Mono
Byond Username: Mon0

Post by Mono » #19333

I would love to see a genetics system similar to goon implemented. As it stands genetics is for the most part hella boring as you sit at your console searching for the same 4 powers every round.

All of his powers look fantastic and shall be put to the test as people constantly break into genetics, practically falling over each other in an attempt to acquire the powers they dreamed of as a young griffin.
Spoiler:
Mono was Sweeny Thyme (survived)
Objective #1: Make an example out of those who would harm the station's innocent animals. Success!
Objective #2: Do not kill them. Success!
The traitor was successful!

DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "assistants are to space stations as badgers are to the animal kingdom"
DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "too many badgers and they'd take over the world"

OOC: Arkire: Wizards, please obey the wizardly bushido code of honour in the future, so as to avoid hurting the feelings of the people you're allowed - and encouraged - to kill. I suggest falling on your staff and being impaled in order to appease them
pixelhunter

Post by pixelhunter » #19334

To me this sounds like a xcom-type autopsy. If that's what you had in mind you coulf add surgery in the process to extract vertaling bits full of DNA. I like the idea nonetheless.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #19693

Mono wrote:I would love to see a genetics system similar to goon implemented. As it stands genetics is for the most part hella boring as you sit at your console searching for the same 4 powers every round.

All of his powers look fantastic and shall be put to the test as people constantly break into genetics, practically falling over each other in an attempt to acquire the powers they dreamed of as a young griffin.
This is, for once, actually really plausible!
/vg/ got their hands on goon's genetics code, and while the system was entirely uncompatible with theirs, they adapated it into their DNA2 system.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #19945

Technically it was ZomgPonies that got the Goon genetics, but that's splitting hairs.

@looping: Please keep all ideas at least semi-serious and semi-realistic.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #20182

So uh believe it or not I created an identical system to Goon's Genetics for my XenoGenetics thing that I messed around with... Without knowing how goon did it.
I could finish it as a Genetics overhaul for /tg/ and NT if it's wanted, but I'd probably leave the current code like UIs and UEs the same, because it's huge.

or would be be best getting goon's from ZomgPonies?

Goon:
- It's finished
- It's not compatible with us by default

Mine:
- it's not finished
- it IS compatible with /tg/ branches by default
私は完璧
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #20326

For those of us not familiar with Goon stuff, can you describe what these changes would entail?
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #20331

Cipher3 wrote:For those of us not familiar with Goon stuff, can you describe what these changes would entail?
a from scratch version of this http://wiki.ss13.co/Guide_to_Genetics
basically.
私は完璧
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #20333

Goon genetics
Highlights:
Each person has their own set of powers at the start of the round. Some jobs have powers activated (like clown on /tg/), for example, chef has Swedish accent.
What powers they have exactly is unknown. You can spend materials, which is basically currency that generates over time by itself, but you have a couple of other ways to get it (by spending research budget, which is just credits and by converting chunks of DNA into 10 materials after certain upgrades), to research what power does the block have.
Blocks themselves are randomly generated puzzles. I won't go into detail, wiki explains it very well. They are not tied to RNG like /tg/ genetics. Once you solve the puzzle, the power activates. You can then print the page with solved sequence and if somebody else has the same power, they will have the same sequence.
You can make it easier to solve sequences by taking known chunks of same power from different people (or monkeys).
You can also spend materials and time to research various upgrades.

Overall it's much easier to activate powers. Powers don't roll dice on activation either. You can get all upgrades without spending department budget for like 20 minutes too.

It's much more fast, powerful, fun but the main thing is that it's a lot less frustrating. Success depends mostly on your skill with logical puzzles, not RNG.
Mono
Byond Username: Mon0

Post by Mono » #20363

Of the couple weeks I spent on goon the things that impressed me the most was their engine, wide variety of chemicals, and genetics system. Now we already have the tesla engine coming along to replace lord laguloth and while I wouldn't mind seeing some new chems put in(trust me when I say I will sarin bomb the station all day erry day as tator), I can still live with what we have. Half my time spent on goon was spent in genetics, cracking the genetic puzzles and distributing powers to myself an others. Here I'm liable to fuck off from genetics to go drink in the bar and griff the clown as having a job dependent on rng is boring as hell the majority of the time.
Spoiler:
Mono was Sweeny Thyme (survived)
Objective #1: Make an example out of those who would harm the station's innocent animals. Success!
Objective #2: Do not kill them. Success!
The traitor was successful!

DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "assistants are to space stations as badgers are to the animal kingdom"
DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "too many badgers and they'd take over the world"

OOC: Arkire: Wizards, please obey the wizardly bushido code of honour in the future, so as to avoid hurting the feelings of the people you're allowed - and encouraged - to kill. I suggest falling on your staff and being impaled in order to appease them
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #20365

Well, chemistry is great because of the closed code. You can't just look up the recipes and there are some really rare and powerful ones. Like there are recipes that include 12 ingredients, good luck figuring that out. If wiki is to be believed those recipes are guarded by admins as well, so it's a secret knowledge of a handful of chemistry gods.

Genetics is great because it's tied to randomly generated puzzles instead of RNG. We certainly need more of that, but it's kind of difficult to set those up. Admittedly the puzzles themselves are pretty simple - for example, "locked" DNA pairs are just very simple Bulls and Cows games, those would be really quite easy to code.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #20455

lol goon's engine is just the TEG we have that too
(the TEG is really fucking awesome though)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #20457

GoonGenetics would be a great addition to /tg/ just by the removal of RNG alone let alone the unqiue features it offers.

GoonChem is interesting but would not work on /tg/ since our code is not closed source. Not to mention people get antsy with GoonChem for being very secretive of chemical recipes which portrays a super secret club attitude.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #20472

I went ahead and tried goon's genetics.

It's awesome, but I feel that it would be too overpowered.
rexagon
Byond Username: Rexagon

Post by rexagon » #20588

Once while doing regular genetics stuff, the person I was testing on had his UE's/UI's changed to something called "Noise" and his sprite became a block of static. I guess this was a RNG thing, but it would be great if they added a similar effect to make H.G. Wells style invisible men. Sprite transparent, but clothes and stuff are still visible, so you have to get naked to hide.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #20592

I had a pastebin containing every single chemistry reciepe for Goon but I lost it. :(
I play Boris Pepper.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #20614

They could just change the recipe then.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #20918

Steelpoint wrote:GoonGenetics would be a great addition to /tg/ just by the removal of RNG alone let alone the unqiue features it offers.

GoonChem is interesting but would not work on /tg/ since our code is not closed source. Not to mention people get antsy with GoonChem for being very secretive of chemical recipes which portrays a super secret club attitude.
Though I guess you could have the chemistry recipes be config options read from a text file. Not saying that would work well for us, but it could be done open-source in theory.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.