Robot upgrades and changes

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Robot upgrades and changes

Post by Weepo » #243219

Robots in this case refers to cleanbots, securitrons, floorbots, medibots and ED-209.

First up, robot hacking. Opening up the maint panel of a robot with a screwdriver should let you get at the wires same as most machines, they have wires that correspond to their basic behaviors, (on, off, detain/arrest) and a map of the wiring layouts of robots is found in the RD's locker same as CEs. This way you could set up voice analyzers to issue orders or signalers to shut down / turn on your bots. There should also be a wire that toggles the emagged behavior of an emagged bot. This does not allow you to emag the bot without an emag, but allows you to cover up their emagged behavior till you need it.

Second up: Upgrades!! Screwing open the panel should allow you to install basic household items into most types of bot to increase their functionality and add new behaviours, mostly they'll be self explanatory but I'll go over some ideas.

:clean:
-Spray bottle, causes the cleanbot to shoot sprays of space cleaner at stains random, in range stains as it works. Drastically speeding up the cleaning process.

-Light replacer, causes the cleanbot to replace broken / unlit lights that it sees. Useful for when surges roll through and keeping the halls lit.

-Cleaning grenade, adds a single use cleaning grenade to the bot that it will deploy against extreme mess (basically if the bot is surrounded by enough messy tiles it will foam up)

:tile:
-RCD, the bot will fix damaged walls and grilles (the damaged floor ones) it will also check for grilles and windows next to repaired grilles and if so replace the window, won't use r-glass even if the neighboring window is reinforced though so mostly it just helps keep the air in.

-Multitool, bot will repair emagged / damaged airlocks. Cannot fix half constructed / massively damaged airlocks. Mostly as a side gig to fixing the floors, it helps stop the air slipping out.

:medbot:
-Defibrilator, the bot will attempt to revive any corpse it spots with its defib, if it fucks up it'll forget that corpse.

-Body bag, adds ONE bag to the borg's equipment, it will attempt to bag any corpse it spots (this behavior happens AFTER attempting to defib). You can add multiple body bags to one borg.

-Handheld Crew monitor, If your sensors are on full automatically summons the nearest medbot with one of these to your location when you go crit, behavior controls can also change that threshold, (although bots are notoriously uncaring about door sanitation and having a bot that fixes everyone's minor boo-boos may lead to grey tides getting everywhere)

:thelaw:
-Flash, Adds an autoflasher that turns on when the securitron is apprehending / arresting someone. Stops grey tides and assistants without eye protection from attacking the tron.

-Cuffs, the sectron uses real cuffs instead of crappy zipties for as many times as numbers of cuffs it has.

-Handheld crew monitor, SEEK AND DESTROY, The securitron will automatically dispatch itself to people who have suit sensors on and are set to arrest.

-ED-209

-???all of the securitrons I guess???

*Universal*
- Grenades / flashbangs, activated either when the conditions are met (timer times down, voice analyzer voices...) or when the bot is destroyed in the case of basic grenades, use an acid bomb to stop grey tides from getting beepsky's baton, cleaner grenade your cleanbots so the don't leave oil after death. A grenade of any kind going off inside the bot will destroy it however, use a voice analyzer with 'Level 10 infraction' to stop people emagging beepsky.

- :peel: :honk: - HONK

- ID Card. Destroys itself along with the bot, but can be removed manually. A bot with an ID card can pass through doors appropriate to its access. Beware an ED with all access and seek and destroy powers. (or just turn off your suit sensors)

These aren't the only things you can put in bots though, there should be a ton of random crap that has uses.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Re: Robot upgrades and changes

Post by Doctor Pork » #243234

Fund it. :capid:
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #243321

Can the medibot dispose of the corpse at the morgue aster it picks up a body?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #243322

I really like the cleanbot ones, especially the light replacer bot. Electrical surge is fucking annoying garbage and i hate it. I think that making the secbots better at acquiring valids is a mistake and will not go over well. There is also some balance concerns with allowing floorbots to fix emagged doors, but emags have so much damn functions i dont really give a shit if they get a small nerf
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Weepo

Post by Weepo » #243327

Wyzack wrote:I really like the cleanbot ones, especially the light replacer bot. Electrical surge is fucking annoying garbage and i hate it. I think that making the secbots better at acquiring valids is a mistake and will not go over well. There is also some balance concerns with allowing floorbots to fix emagged doors, but emags have so much damn functions i dont really give a shit if they get a small nerf
I mean I guess, there should be some way? Thinking about it now I literally dunno how to fix emagged doors without destroying them and rebuilding from scratch.

Also as for sec hunting valids... maybe, actually come to think of it as long as 'detain' exists, absolutely not.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #243362

Cleanbot and floorbot are pretty cool, medibot and sec bot are hugboxy save for the real cuffs and real bodybags
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #243372

Isn't the point of beepskers using zipties instead of cuffs that you can't bait him into arresting you just to get a pair of handcuffs that you can then reuse?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #243430

Yeah that's why they got given zipties in the first place. Sec offs would use the Beepers for infinite handcuffs.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #243435

Yeah but if you have to load in the handcuffs manually then it's no issue
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #243440

Weepo wrote:R
-Spray bottle, causes the cleanbot to shoot sprays of space cleaner at stains random, in range stains as it works. Drastically speeding up the cleaning process.
Should not be too difficult to code.

-Light replacer, causes the cleanbot to replace broken / unlit lights that it sees. Useful for when surges roll through and keeping the halls lit.
This one could be a bit difficult due to how often they are blocked, and might require a second scan loop/additional checks.

-Cleaning grenade, adds a single use cleaning grenade to the bot that it will deploy against extreme mess (basically if the bot is surrounded by enough messy tiles it will foam up)
I would rather make the emag foam burst be an actual cleaning grenade reaction!

-RCD, the bot will fix damaged walls and grilles (the damaged floor ones) it will also check for grilles and windows next to repaired grilles and if so replace the window, won't use r-glass even if the neighboring window is reinforced though so mostly it just helps keep the air in.
Not sure how well this one would work. Would you want it to scan for wall girders to fix a wall, or what?

-Multitool, bot will repair emagged / damaged airlocks. Cannot fix half constructed / massively damaged airlocks. Mostly as a side gig to fixing the floors, it helps stop the air slipping out.
Detecting and fixing emagged and damaged airlocks would not be all that hard.

-Defibrilator, the bot will attempt to revive any corpse it spots with its defib, if it fucks up it'll forget that corpse.
Would you have the bot do the viability tests itself, or simply see a corpse and attempt once to revive it?

-Body bag, adds ONE bag to the borg's equipment, it will attempt to bag any corpse it spots (this behavior happens AFTER attempting to defib). You can add multiple body bags to one borg. Conflicts with defib, unless a viability check is done first. Defib the good ones, bag the bad? I am not sure this one is worth the work it would take to have it functional.

-Handheld Crew monitor, If your sensors are on full automatically summons the nearest medbot with one of these to your location when you go crit, behavior controls can also change that threshold, (although bots are notoriously uncaring about door sanitation and having a bot that fixes everyone's minor boo-boos may lead to grey tides getting everywhere) Nope. This one would be a nightmare to code and manage! PDA control was messy enough!!

-Flash, Adds an autoflasher that turns on when the securitron is apprehending / arresting someone. Stops grey tides and assistants without eye protection from attacking the tron.
Hilarious! What exactly would trigger the flash? Being attacked?

-Cuffs, the sectron uses real cuffs instead of crappy zipties for as many times as numbers of cuffs it has.
If you just want the bot to apply stored cuffs and use the zipties after it runs out, this is fine as it would not bring back the exploit.

-Handheld crew monitor, SEEK AND DESTROY, The securitron will automatically dispatch itself to people who have suit sensors on and are set to arrest.
Against this one. It discourages use of suit sensors, plus it would be as painful to code as the medibot version.

-ED-209

*Universal*
- Grenades / flashbangs, activated either when the conditions are met (timer times down, voice analyzer voices...) or when the bot is destroyed in the case of basic grenades, use an acid bomb to stop grey tides from getting beepsky's baton, cleaner grenade your cleanbots so the don't leave oil after death. A grenade of any kind going off inside the bot will destroy it however, use a voice analyzer with 'Level 10 infraction' to stop people emagging beepsky.
I am too lazy to add wire datum/assembly support, but grenading someone on the bot's destruction is something I would love to bring to life!

Make bots slippery when crossed, similar to how Beepsky works? I can get around that!! :honkman:

- ID Card. Destroys itself along with the bot, but can be removed manually. A bot with an ID card can pass through doors appropriate to its access. Beware an ED with all access and seek and destroy powers. (or just turn off your suit sensors)
Bots already have ID card items stored which determine their access. Would it be acceptable if the user could just upload his additional access to the bot's own card? Fun fact: I coded PDA commands to give bots any additional access a caller has so the bot can reach him in more cases. In the case of the AI's Botcall feature, it is Captain level access.

These aren't the only things you can put in bots though, there should be a ton of random crap that has uses.
Weepo

Post by Weepo » #243470

Shit i fuk up my postign reeeeeee
Last edited by Weepo on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #243472

The multitool floor bot one is 100% gucci. 2burbs with one stone: makes floor bots useful and makes mass emagging less nightmarish for engineering
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Weepo

Post by Weepo » #243474

Weepo wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:
Weepo wrote:R
Should not be too difficult to code.
Ok cool, I have no idea how difficult things are to code.

This one could be a bit difficult due to how often they are blocked, and might require a second scan loop/additional checks.
I guess, I'd just have it see a light and replace it if possible similar to how cleanbots pick and choose stains and mess right now, like if they see a light out they attempt path, fail they move on success they replace the light. Cleanbots can pass by inaccessible messes in departments just fine as it stands I'm guessing they could be made to behave the same again. Although the extra checks could be a bitch.

I would rather make the emag foam burst be an actual cleaning grenade reaction!
Cleaning grenades are pretty robust, I was mostly just padding out my list here~ I dunno what other janitorial / stationy equipment would be applicable since the idea is maintaining the main bot's function but enhancing their ability

Not sure how well this one would work. Would you want it to scan for wall girders to fix a wall, or what?
Yeah, if it sees a girder it puts metal to it same as a player might. Floor drones are mostly employed after bombings and they see a lot of half walls. They'd just buzz up and slap some metal on it to help keep the air in.

Detecting and fixing emagged and damaged airlocks would not be all that hard.
Neat, I dunno about emagged in retrospect but they should definitely mend the wires, fix manual door damage and close the panel up at least

Would you have the bot do the viability tests itself, or simply see a corpse and attempt once to revive it?
Well what I'd do is make the borg attempt one defibrillation, regardless of viability, if the corpse is dead dead they'd play a cheesy one liner and mark that corpse as 'dead', preventing them from defibbing the next time they spot it, alert medbay and move on to the next item on the agenda

-Body bag, adds ONE bag to the borg's equipment, it will attempt to bag any corpse it spots (this behavior happens AFTER attempting to defib). You can add multiple body bags to one borg. Conflicts with defib, unless a viability check is done first. Defib the good ones, bag the bad? I am not sure this one is worth the work it would take to have it functional.
Yeah, the bagging happens after the defibrillation. I guess if I was doing a logic tree it'd be [See corpse -> Defibrilate] [if alive: heal] [if dead: bag it] as for what happens if the bot has body bags but no defibrillator, I guess they just bags regardless of time of death.

-Handheld Crew monitor, If your sensors are on full automatically summons the nearest medbot with one of these to your location when you go crit, behavior controls can also change that threshold, (although bots are notoriously uncaring about door sanitation and having a bot that fixes everyone's minor boo-boos may lead to grey tides getting everywhere) Nope. This one would be a nightmare to code and manage! PDA control was messy enough!!
Okiedoke. Although you can PDA summon bots... why not just make it so they get a similar summons the moment you dip into crit?

Hilarious! What exactly would trigger the flash? Being attacked?
The moment the beepsky spots a baddy! weather it be because they just got attacked or because they saw them walking along with a weapon or really any time beepsky enters their arresting / detaining state. Autoflashs threaten their tile and all tiles diagonal and cardinal, going off when you pass in those areas, the securitron version would be the same, autoflashing anyone who is near to the bot while its working. Maybe couple it with some aggressive 'nothing to see here' and 'get lost punk's

If you just want the bot to apply stored cuffs and use the zipties after it runs out, this is fine as it would not bring back the exploit.
Yeah, exactly this.

Against this one. It discourages use of suit sensors, plus it would be as painful to code as the medibot version.
See I figured suit sensors are a double edged sword already. I don't think people maliciously don't use suit sensors they're just lazy since it is manual and often overlooked. But the idea is that as a traitor you should already probably not be reporting your position at all times anyhow.

-ED-209

*Universal*
I am too lazy to add wire datum/assembly support, but grenading someone on the bot's destruction is something I would love to bring to life!
For the assembly support, could you just kinda... hide the grenade in the bot? Like give it an inventory box and stick it in that? It'd achieve the same ends and has a ton of precedents. I mean each bot should definitely drop its upgrades on exploding since no way in hell am I gonna vaporize my defib just for the sake of a dumb medbot

Make bots slippery when crossed, similar to how Beepsky works? I can get around that!! :honkman:
Also honking... Maybe cleanbots use regular mops as well... Go ham!!

Bots already have ID card items stored which determine their access. Would it be acceptable if the user could just upload his additional access to the bot's own card? Fun fact: I coded PDA commands to give bots any additional access a caller has so the bot can reach him in more cases. In the case of the AI's Botcall feature, it is Captain level access.
Yeah, the ability to modify a bots default access with cards would be ideal really. I don't actually like the idea of stealing ID cards from bots since it'd be too easy. I like that last change a lot myself since I often summon cleanbots to my science wing. Also there should definitely be 'bot only' access doors, since sometimes bots get caught in the bot only chutes like the one in box station medbay.