Atmos Suggestions

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Timrod

Atmos Suggestions

Post by Timrod » #19296

I've been playing Atmos quite a bit recently, and I've noticed a bunch of things that could really use some improvement. Most of it has nothing to do with actual atmos code - so there shouldn't be any fear (as far as I know) of causing runtimes and/or lag. Here's some of what I'd like to see:

1. Analyzers showing mole counts rather than just pressure.

Not everyone is familiar with how Atmos works, so I'll explain it here. Gases on /tg/ are measured in Kilopascals - kPa, a measure of pressure. The problem is that there's also a hidden count of moles - how much of the gas there actually is in the container. The reason this is an issue is that pressure can be wildly misleading. For instance, it is entirely possible to have a canister of pure plasma, heated up to 5000+ degrees with 200,000+ kPa of pressure.. but very few moles of actual plasma. The game already keeps track of mole count, this is why the Captain's oxygen jetpack (and the larger oxygen tanks) last longer than the emergency O2 tanks when used as internals. I'd like to see the mole count become visible when using an Analyzer or PDA cart with a gas analyzer (Science, Atmos, CE) on it. This would make it a lot easier to figure out how much of a gas is actually in a container.

2. Ability to attach add-ons to canisters.

Right now, canisters are kind of dumb. You can't, say, attach a signaller to one and use it to open the canister remotely. I think this should change, in that canisters should be able to accept a single add-on assembly. This would be especially useful for canister bombs. Here's how they should work:

Signaller - When signalled, opens the release valve on the canister. Very simple.

Timer - After the timer counts down, opens the release valve on the canister. Also very simple.

Igniter - When attached to a timer or signaller, will spark when the canister's release valve opens. Useful for doing burn mix and starting plasma fires.

Mini-Analyzer (new) - When attached to a canister, will monitor the air each tick for pressure. If the pressure goes below a set amount, opens the release valve on the canister.

Voice Analyzer - When attached to a canister, allows you to open the release valve via voice command. Useful for pre-placing air canisters in areas likely to be bombed and setting them off on command via radio.

3. Move the Incinerator next to Atmos.

The incinerator is something that could potentially be very useful for Atmos, in that right now they have no easy way of getting into space without breaking a window. Atmos could use this as a door to space, while it would still remain publicly accessible from maint.

I'll post more later as I think of them.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Atmos Suggestions

Post by paprika » #19359

When you have internals connected, there needs to be a calculation done to determine how many seconds (or ticks) you have left of breathable oxygen. This would help so many people. It should also display on the UI.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #19389

Number 3 is a map issue as it's already next to atmos on Metastation and therefore Artyom.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #19422

paprika wrote:When you have internals connected, there needs to be a calculation done to determine how many seconds (or ticks) you have left of breathable oxygen. This would help so many people. It should also display on the UI.
There's an icon for a 'flashing' internals icon, which I think was meant to have it switch to that icon if you were running low.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #19456

All of the ideas suggested so far sound excellent and easy to implement. Too bad very few good ideas suggested on this forum actually get pulled.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #19463

I don't think analyzers should display mole counts per-say, but they should display volume. I think volume would give a much more meaningful representation of "amount of gas" than moles, since everyone understands volume but not many understand moles.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Timrod

Post by Timrod » #19468

One other:

4. Make pumps do their job.

Right now, there's this really weird bug where if you pump a pure gas into a pipe and then try to pump the gas out (ie; put plasma in the pure loop and then pump it out to replace with oxygen), trace amounts of the first gas will remain in the pipes no matter what kind of pump you're using. These amounts are usually a fraction of a KPA (dunno how much by volume) but can completely screw things up. For instance, if you have to fill a plasma canister for Engineering and then want to cool some O2 for super-internals, you can't because the trace amount of plasma makes the O2 unsuitable for internal use.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #19692

paprika wrote:When you have internals connected, there needs to be a calculation done to determine how many seconds (or ticks) you have left of breathable oxygen. This would help so many people. It should also display on the UI.
why is this needed.
oxygen tanks last hours.

It's a cool feature but it wont get used unless we drastically reduce the amount of oxygen you get from tanks.
Also depending on how you do it it would be either rather inefficient or rather prone to bugs. (calculate every tick vs calculate once and then countdown)
Reimoo wrote:All of the ideas suggested so far sound excellent and easy to implement. Too bad very few good ideas suggested on this forum actually get pulled.
this post pisses me off.
1. we are currently in a feature freeze
2. these are just suggestions.
3. You're underestimating the complexity of pipe atmos.

Adding assemblies to canisters would be really cool and is probably viable, I'm just not sure how assemblies really work.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #19751

Someone made assemblies pretty easy to work with, actually. All the interfacing is done via a handful of procs. Handling when to actually fire the assemblies is all done by them. All the canister needs to care about is tracking/storing the assemblies themselves, creating a way to attach/detach them, and handling what happens then they get a signal.

Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #19830

Oh, cool. For some reason I felt like assembly code would be really bad and hard to work with, but it looks like I was wrong.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #20742

MisterPerson wrote:I don't think analyzers should display mole counts per-say, but they should display volume. I think volume would give a much more meaningful representation of "amount of gas" than moles, since everyone understands volume but not many understand moles.
Not really.

A canister that holds 10L of gas at room temperature holds 10L of gas at boiling/freezing, and will hold 10L at max capacity and 10L when half full.
The volume of the container doesn't change as pressure increases, and gas will always attempt to fill the container, barring external forces such as gravity.
So to calculate (read: waste cpu cycles) the volume of gas you would have to extrapolate the value by using preset variables such as: temperature being room temperature, the external pressure being 1 atmosphere, and.... an imaginary container of a fixed sized.
Basically you'd just be giving a different form of pressure measurement, and the only use would be that it would give consistent read outs across all containers regardless of their size or the temp of their contents.

If you want to know the true level of the amount of gas in the sample just stick with moles. Its the proper term, and when atmos looks like something which was written for some dude's physics degree (which it was IIRC) you may as well use the proper terms for sake of consistency. Plus there's the fact that moles are held as a variable in air datum so displaying them requires zero calculation.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #20795

Volume is held in Liter form as a var on most (all?) gas containers. It also requires no calculation, so I'm not sure what your point is. Either way it's something that should be displayed in-game as it currently isn't. For the record, I was literally talking about the container's volume, not volume of the gas at STP, which is what I think you thought I was talking about.

Yes, with PVT you could calculate n out-of-game if you wanted, but I question how many players would actually use n if displayed. I consider the complexity increase of displaying it not worth the gains to the very small percentage of the population that actually knows what moles are and gains a benefit by having them displayed. I'm pretty sure most of the bomb whizzes know how PVT relate to each other and may even have an idea of what moles represent without knowing the term or what it means.

Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #21663

Vessel volume in liter should definitely be displayed on examination, IRL it's usually stamped on any pressure vessel, from fire extinguishers to scuba tanks.

Volume in Mole is irrelevant because it depends of the gas type and of it's temperature/pressure, it is not suitable to express the volume of a container.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #22639

>enormous remote detonated canister bombs

Yes please.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #22983

Kyrah Abattoir wrote:Vessel volume in liter should definitely be displayed on examination, IRL it's usually stamped on any pressure vessel, from fire extinguishers to scuba tanks.

Volume in Mole is irrelevant because it depends of the gas type and of it's temperature/pressure, it is not suitable to express the volume of a container.
Yes but it accurately describes how much the rate of reaction will be. A lower more concentrated gas with more moles reacts faster than a spread out, low molar gas. Moles are useful for scientists for obvious reasons and Atmosphere techs trying to get pure as fuck gas or flood shit. Volume is the everyday unit that's used but in science professions you use molars because you can use a relation to find the volume if you know the moles.
crack is whack but smacks got your back