FLASHBANG SEMI-REWORK

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Stats as mentioned in the posts

Too powerful for security/not enough skill needed.
13%
Too weak for security/too much skill needed.
20%
Leave them as they are.
33%
Probably good, try it this way.
33%

Total votes: 15

kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

FLASHBANG SEMI-REWORK

Post by kevinz000 » #252718

I propose changing up flashbangs to something like this: (no 3 page ramble because i'm sleepy as fuck and lazy as fuck)

RANGE: (For those who can't code, 0 is 1x1 centered on itself, 1 is 3x3 centered on itself, 2 is 5x5 centered on itself, etc etc, in a square.)
--
0 tiles/holding it/standing on it: Just like now, large amount of eye/ear damage, large stun, HOWEVER, WITH ADDED BURN DAMAGE, AS WELL AS CONFUSING AND SLOWING YOU.
1 tiles: With protection: Stun for moderate amount of time. Minor burn damage. Shorter confuse/slow. Without protection: Stun for large amount of time, moderate confuse/slow.
2 tiles: With protection: Stun for short amount of time. Short confuse/slow. Without protection: Stun for large amount of time, moderate confuse/slow.
3 tiles: With protection: Flash. Without protection: Stun for moderate amount of time, short confuse/slow.
4-5 tiles: With protection: None. Without protection: Stun for very short amount of time/drop items, confuse/slow.
6-7 tiles: With protection: None. Without protection: Confuse/slow, drop items.
8-10 tiles (offscreen): With protection: None. Without protection: Flash, sound effect, no ear damage/eye damage.

Hopefully this would flashbangs more rewarding for people who can make them actually hit their target, and more punishing for people who toss it out like candy without bothering to time it.
Last edited by kevinz000 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: FLASHBANG SEMI-REWORK

Post by ShadowDimentio » #252719

I'm okay with this.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #252720

kind of interesting, more powerful at center but significantly weaker as it spreads outward

worth trying at least
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #252726

It won't last though. Some buttbaby will inevitably get dunked by it and petition coderbus to remove flashbangs because they're 2gud, and the dumbasses will listen
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #252728

Flashbangs should just blind for a few seconds and then disorient tbh
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #252733

need a way to make sticky grenades.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252734

ShadowDimentio wrote:It won't last though. Some buttbaby will inevitably get dunked by it and petition coderbus to remove flashbangs because they're 2gud, and the dumbasses will listen
This is MOST LIKELY going to be weaker than they are now and they're not revmoed, they can cry about it if they want, complete removal isn't happening.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #252738

>Weaker than they are now

Buff them to at least the status quo you chucklefuck
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252742

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Weaker than they are now

unless they're used right
aka make security players time their grenades instead of clicking once on them and clicking once in half a second on a random turf and hope it works.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #252743

Kev you forgot multiple levels of protection memes. Also OFFSCREEN FLASHES FUCK RIGHT OFF.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #252757

kevinz000 wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:>Weaker than they are now

unless they're used right
aka make security players time their grenades instead of clicking once on them and clicking once in half a second on a random turf and hope it works.
I rarely have any luck with flashbangs. More than once I've held a bang, pressed Z, dropped it in front of the dual esword guy and died because my input was eaten and the bang wasn't primed.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #252778

>still flashing the person with protection at stun radius

I'm not happy.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #252798

kevinz000 wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:1 tiles: With protection: Stun for moderate amount of time. Minor burn damage. Shorter confuse/slow. Without protection: Stun for large amount of time, moderate confuse/slow.
Wait, does this mean you only take burn if you're wearing ear/eye protection? And what about if you only have eye or ear protection?
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252799

Davidchan wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:1 tiles: With protection: Stun for moderate amount of time. Minor burn damage. Shorter confuse/slow. Without protection: Stun for large amount of time, moderate confuse/slow.
Wait, does this mean you only take burn if you're wearing ear/eye protection? And what about if you only have eye or ear protection?
no.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #252812

Seems overly complex. Also people above this ping pong need not to apply.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #252813

This seems to be adding a lot more complexity to Flashbangs.

However I do see what the aim is, to make the flashbangs very powerful if you can get the target within three or so tiles of the area, but anyone outside of that hit zone, while will still be affected, will not be as negatively affected as is currently.

I think it may be worth a test, at best.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #252816

The problem I have with this is that Flashbangs, unlike in real life, are primarily a defensive weapon. You drop them when someone gets a jump on you, when you run out of taser etc.

Breach bang and clear happens very rarely. There's usually no need to.

So here's an idea. Remove stun from flashbang, increase length of blind. Create a brand new concussion grenade which would stun the fuck out of people, and work roughly as you want. Put one of each into sec belts. Profit.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #252830

If you want breach+bang then add a system where if you touch a door with a flashbang you'll prime and toss a flashbang into the door. Make the game allow you to adjust how many tiles you wanna throw you're flashbang.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #252846

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252859

Lumbermancer wrote:The problem I have with this is that Flashbangs, unlike in real life, are primarily a defensive weapon. You drop them when someone gets a jump on you, when you run out of taser etc.

Breach bang and clear happens very rarely. There's usually no need to.

So here's an idea. Remove stun from flashbang, increase length of blind. Create a brand new concussion grenade which would stun the fuck out of people, and work roughly as you want. Put one of each into sec belts. Profit.
I love my waveclear one use deafening taser gun.
All jokes aside I try my best to time them to use them in hallway chases and this actually nerfs that because the range will be slightly less.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #252870

I don't understand the burn damage. Do these flashbangs have mini-suns in them?? What would possibly justify the burn damage????
A flashbang buff doesn't need to happen regardless.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #252876

The chemical reaction is exothermic.
danno

Post by danno » #252893

that's stupid.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #252895

Lumbermancer wrote:The chemical reaction is exothermic.
So is the reaction of water freezing.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #252907

I think a flashbang with a serious blind, deafen en disorient (stumble) effect instead of the stun would be good.

Makes the item useful for crowd control but removes the "I win" button against everyone without protection.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252992

danno wrote:I don't understand the burn damage. Do these flashbangs have mini-suns in them?? What would possibly justify the burn damage????
A flashbang buff doesn't need to happen regardless.
This isn't necessarily buffing it.
I dunno the flashbang explodes with intense light and sound.
What do you think will happen if you're holding it..?
danno

Post by danno » #252994

You get blinded and go deaf.
???????
is this a trick question?
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #253050

It's literally an explosion in your hand. Like 2-3 burn is appropriate as a YOU FUCKED IT.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #253094

danno wrote:You get blinded and go deaf.
???????
is this a trick question?
A grenade that uses chemicals that burn hot enough to produce a sonic shockwave and temporarily blind people across the room.
Shouldn't burn?!

anyways when i'm less burned out from coding random bs i'll code the stuff i listed for maybe a testmerge to see how it goes.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #253127

captain sawrge wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:The chemical reaction is exothermic.
So is the reaction of water freezing.
False equivalence.