Readd secborgs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Readd secborgs

Post by InsaneHyena » #261884

Wait, wait, wait\. Hear me out.
Traitor chaplain has His Grace. Clown has a trick revolver\. I'm not really sure if librarian's tome was merged, but that's not the point. Roboticist so far has nothing - but I've got an idea. It's a limited use upgrade board that A) immediately emags the cyborg B) changes his module to security. Cyborgs hacked in such a way can't be locked down or blown from the console - they need to be directly confronted.
However.
A) NanoTrasen has long banned security module from civilian use due to captains regularly re-enacting the plot of Robocop 2. Thus sightings of security cyborg should immediately cause a panic.
B) Also, since only roboticists know how to unlock the forbidden module, the traitor will be immediately obvious.
C) This board only works a few times - so you can't build a self-sustaining army of cyborgs.
Bring back papercult.

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Re: Readd secborgs

Post by Screemonster » #261897

Adding them as a module that isn't available to traitor AIs to murder the entire station with an unstoppable army of laserbots might solve some of the original problems, but you might as well just make them their own thing if you're going for a "unique module that only traitor robos can make" rather than secborgs.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #261911

Could just bring them back with just the security batons.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #261913

Screemonster wrote:Adding them as a module that isn't available to traitor AIs to murder the entire station with an unstoppable army of laserbots might solve some of the original problems, but you might as well just make them their own thing if you're going for a "unique module that only traitor robos can make" rather than secborgs.
Come to think about it, what's syndicate equivalent to laser rifle? Bulldog?
Bring back papercult.

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #261949

I bet i could do this
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #261966

Do this
Bring back papercult.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #261969

This is a server policy question
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #261972

No its a fucking traitor item suggestion learn to FUCKING READ
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #261973

Then it goes in the shitty ideas thread.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #261975

I didn't read i Just moved it lol
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #261977

rename thread title to "give traitor-robos syndieborgs that are totally not identical to secborgs honest"
lollerderby
Byond Username: Lollerderby
Github Username: lollerderby

Post by lollerderby » #261982

this isn't policy discussion Oranges take your trash back
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, ">rylie talking shit and not actually doing anything again"
DEAD: Tim Ebow says, "What a twist"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #261984

Awful idea, I traitored with secborgs before and they allow you to basically murderbone and hijack the shuttle every time if they're even half competent, I know this because I would murderbone and hijack the shuttle every time I rolled traitor roboticist
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #262050

I've put forward a similar suggestion before, emagging should just give the borg a verb to repick modules once and they would get to be secborgs too.
But this is fun too.
PKPenguin321 wrote:Awful idea, I traitored with secborgs before and they allow you to basically murderbone and hijack the shuttle every time if they're even half competent, I know this because I would murderbone and hijack the shuttle every time I rolled traitor roboticist
It would not be like that in this case, now seeing a secborg would be the same as seeing an esword or a dark mauler.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #262052

leibniz wrote:I've put forward a similar suggestion before, emagging should just give the borg a verb to repick modules once and they would get to be secborgs too.
But this is fun too.
PKPenguin321 wrote:Awful idea, I traitored with secborgs before and they allow you to basically murderbone and hijack the shuttle every time if they're even half competent, I know this because I would murderbone and hijack the shuttle every time I rolled traitor roboticist
It would not be like that in this case, now seeing a secborg would be the same as seeing an esword or a dark mauler.
except for migrants from other servers, who won't know redborg is dedborg.
私は完璧
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #262059

until they see somebody turn the redborg into a dedborg and explain
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #262100

i have always and will always be of the opinion that secborg removal was a bad move based solely off the incessant and loud shitposting of a few tators who got dunked and whined about it for long enough and across enough threads that eventually it happened. remember they tried to get rid of the AI too because "hbloobloobloo ai why did you stop my murderbone NERF NOW." thats LITERALLY all it was, and the whole fiasco left me disgusted enough to leave for about half a year or more. especially on sybil, where sec force is often low or nonexistent, having borgs able to give at least token resistance to antags is entirely necessary.

"b-b-but Deitus they're not following asiimo--" yeah shut the fuck up. thats a PLAYER issue that needs to be solved on a PLAYER basis, not a change across the server. if there was a golem that didnt follow its master's orders that would be a bwoink to the player, not a removal of golems from the game. the whole meme with peacekeeper borgs only rubs salt in the would of both sides, though the idea that they turn to secborgs when on red alert was a great idea that should have been implemented.

secborgs should be brought back, but at this point they're such a meme that they never will be, which is always something i will be salty about.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #262102

Thread is about adding secborgs as a traitor item, please read the OP before posting.
Bring back papercult.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #262103

leibniz wrote:I've put forward a similar suggestion before, emagging should just give the borg a verb to repick modules once and they would get to be secborgs too.
But this is fun too.
My roboticist murderbones were not subtle, they were extremely loud. People would casually mention on the radio that my borgs and I were killing everybody and not to go to robotics. I had the HoS, captain, and two officers try to gank us through mech bay maint, but the borgs just stunlocked them all, cuffed them, and beat them to death with fire extinguishers. I didn't even have to close robotics shutters because there was just nothing anybody could do about my rampage.

Tldr you underestimate how good secborgs are, they will still be busted even if they're a meta tell that you're a traitor
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #262117

InsaneHyena wrote:Thread is about adding secborgs as a traitor item, please read the OP before posting.
They closed our containment thread.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #262468

I'm tempted to code this myself. The problem is, I know nothing about coding beyond "Hello world". How fucked am I?
Bring back papercult.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #262470

InsaneHyena wrote:I'm tempted to code this myself. The problem is, I know nothing about coding beyond "Hello world". How fucked am I?
While I disagree with the idea I still encourage you to learn to code, byond isn't especially difficult so it's a good place to learn. Try reading others code and learning from that and asking around in #coderbus
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #262753

Okay, so I actually read the wiki, begged for help from coderbus and wrote the code that I think may work. Maybe. At least Gun Hog thinks so.

Code: Select all

/obj/item/borg/upgrade/traitorsec
	name = "Despot upgrade module"
	desc = "Ilegal upgrade board that unlocks the banned security module"
	icon_state = "cyborg_upgrade3"
	require_module = 1
	origin_tech = "data=4;combat=4;syndicate=3"

/obj/item/borg/upgrade/traitorsec/attack()
	return

/obj/item/borg/upgrade/afterattack(atom/target, mob/user, proximity)
	var/atom/A = target
	if(!proximity && prox_check)
		return
	if(!isrobot(target))
		return
	A.emag_act(user)
	A.transform to(/obj/item/weapon/robot_module/security)
I'm currently too dumb to understand how to open pull requests, though.
Bring back papercult.

Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #262789

Deitus wrote:i have always and will always be of the opinion that secborg removal was a bad move based solely off the incessant and loud shitposting of a few tators who got dunked and whined about it for long enough and across enough threads that eventually it happened. remember they tried to get rid of the AI too because "hbloobloobloo ai why did you stop my murderbone NERF NOW." thats LITERALLY all it was, and the whole fiasco left me disgusted enough to leave for about half a year or more. especially on sybil, where sec force is often low or nonexistent, having borgs able to give at least token resistance to antags is entirely necessary.

"b-b-but Deitus they're not following asiimo--" yeah shut the fuck up. thats a PLAYER issue that needs to be solved on a PLAYER basis, not a change across the server. if there was a golem that didnt follow its master's orders that would be a bwoink to the player, not a removal of golems from the game. the whole meme with peacekeeper borgs only rubs salt in the would of both sides, though the idea that they turn to secborgs when on red alert was a great idea that should have been implemented.

secborgs should be brought back, but at this point they're such a meme that they never will be, which is always something i will be salty about.
yes
sybil is suffering esp. on off hours
low effort desword/gun/martialarts murderbones errywhere

though at least flashes achieve something now sometimes if they are very stupid.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #262889

After what seemed like forever, the code was written. Hope it gets merged.
Bring back papercult.

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #263163

It will be good to go once you make the suggested code changes.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #263371

tbh I think secborgs should be re-added as a properm odule but only be available via late-game R&D where everyone is rolling around in gear by then.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #263502

Anonmare wrote:tbh I think secborgs should be re-added as a properm odule but only be available via late-game R&D where everyone is rolling around in gear by then.
I second this, and have the TraitorSec item create a Syndieborg (Medical or Assault). That could possibly be a little TOO much muderbone though...
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #263503

The ass borg has the strength of a nuke op, one of those faggots could slaughter the entire crew.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #263506

I retract that portion of my comment then. They would be better than even a double e-sword. I would interested in the medical borg though. You could have a Medic/Heavy relationship going there.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #263588

So to everybody who still wants traitor only sec borgs: Why?
Spoiler:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #263621

because you don't and it makes you upset
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #263708

I would rather have them back in full capacity, but the Silicon Hate Brigade will prevent that, so this is the best I could ever get.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #263714

I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #263727

Yeah, I need help. It's been requested that syndicate secborgs (TM) have an obvious syndicate paintjob. Since syndicate assault cyborgs are essentially secborg reskins, I'll use their sprites. Now, there are two options of how to handle this.
1) I could make up an entirely new module largely identical to secborgs, but with syndicate assault cyborg sprite. They could also have a ballistic weapon instead of a laser gun.
However, I'm not sure coderbus will like it. Even to me it seems like a bad solution.
2) Somehow retain the secborg module, but adopt the syndicate sprite.
I don't know how to do that. In fact, I don't know how to code, period, I'm just stealing code that already exists and beg coderbus for help with things I don't udnerstand. I've thought that Ripley should have sprite change code, since they change after being upgraded with goliath plates, but I can't find it.

Any help?
Bring back papercult.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #263790

Gun Hog wrote:I would rather have them back in full capacity, but the Silicon Hate Brigade will prevent that, so this is the best I could ever get.
So you just want them for the sake of wanting them? You've expressed that you hate dual esword murderbones before, and this iteration of secborgs would only be worse.

Is there any reason to want these aside from mindless fanaticism or spite?
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #263964

So, now PR finished and ready. Thanks to all who helped me make this a reality.
Bring back papercult.