Simple Questions Thread

General SS13 Chat
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Simple Questions Thread

Post by DemonFiren » #146973

Bottom post of the previous page:

On mech-mounted weapons, does the light or the heavy laser have a higher DPS?

I mean, the heavy laser has higher damage, but if I recall correctly, it fires much more slowly.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #146983

DemonFiren wrote:On mech-mounted weapons, does the light or the heavy laser have a higher DPS?

I mean, the heavy laser has higher damage, but if I recall correctly, it fires much more slowly.
If I am reading the code right the Immolator laser has a cooldown of 8 doing 20 damage, the Solaris has 15 CD while doing 40 damage.
Also: considering everything can just walk away from a mech if it isn't an overloaded gygax, I'd say the solaris offers more DPS in any case. Sometimes you only get one or two shots on your target, make em count.
And Solaris one-shots swarmers. So yeah, it's the heavy laser all the way for me.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #146984

Yeah, it's literally the damage distinction between a laser gun and a laser cannon. The lasgun does 2.5 damage per tick, the lascannon does 2.6 recurring per tick.

What I'm struggling to see is whether the pulse rifle you can mount (well, I don't know if you can but they're in the code) is 50 damage, or whether it's more. It is listed as a 'heavy' variant of the projectile, but I can't find anything relating to that, only the base pulse projectile. Well, I can, but it says var/life=20. Does that just mean you get set to 20 out of 200 health?

Also, which of the ballistics is better? The AC-2 fires 4 bullets that each do 20 normal damage and 65 stamina damage. However, it has a slightly higher deviation and a smaller capacity (it holds 40 bullets, which I assume don't recharge). The AC-10 fires 3 bullets that each do 20 normal damage, with no stamina damage. It has a lower deviation and a capacity of 300 bullets (which I assume don't recharge). I think I'm not asking 'simple' questions at this point...
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #146990

The mech LMG's rounds can be reloaded, for all I know, and it's basically a SMG for mechs.

That is to say, basically a revolver for mechs.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #146991

Cheimon wrote: What I'm struggling to see is whether the pulse rifle you can mount (well, I don't know if you can but they're in the code) is 50 damage, or whether it's more. It is listed as a 'heavy' variant of the projectile, but I can't find anything relating to that, only the base pulse projectile. Well, I can, but it says var/life=20. Does that just mean you get set to 20 out of 200 health?
WARNING HEAVY SPECULATION, AMATEUR CODE-READING SKILLS INVOLVED:
Maybe it's the 'endurance' of the projectile. Meaning it can pass through more than one mob before disappearing. I assume the damage is still 50.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/obj/item/projectile/beam/pulse/heavy
	name = "heavy pulse laser"
	icon_state = "pulse1_bl"
	var/life = 20 <---- endurance set
/obj/item/projectile/beam/pulse/heavy/Bump(atom/A) //this is just awful
	A.bullet_act(src, def_zone)
	src.life -= 10 <---- something was hit, endurance gets lowered
	if(ismob(A))
		var/mob/M = A
		add_logs(firer, M, "shot", "[src]")
	if(life <= 0) <---- projectile dies
		qdel(src)
	return
Cheimon wrote: Also, which of the ballistics is better? The AC-2 fires 4 bullets that each do 20 normal damage and 65 stamina damage. However, it has a slightly higher deviation and a smaller capacity (it holds 40 bullets, which I assume don't recharge). The AC-10 fires 3 bullets that each do 20 normal damage, with no stamina damage. It has a lower deviation and a capacity of 300 bullets (which I assume don't recharge). I think I'm not asking 'simple' questions at this point...
(Didn't you get the two ballistics backwards?)
I'm a fan of the AC2. It's a LMG, it does what it says on the tin. You can cover an entire hallway in boolets. Kinda hard to dodge a constant stream of projectiles. If you want to be up close and personal with your mech so the AC10 becomes actually better, you might as well just mech punch the suckers.
Also, rearming either of those weapons is somehow magically 'free' and infinte. Use the mech interface for reloading.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #147004

Reloading uses a crap ton of energy iirc
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #147017

It's weapon-dependent, and also depends on how much ammo therei s left.

Clusterbang launchers are the most expensive mounted weapon to reload.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #147032

I like Hades.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #147665

If AI, or some other antagonist with all access, how do I go about wiping the research levels completely? All I could see last time I tried (a while ago) were options to wipe technologies one by one, which is obviously a slow process.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #147667

All that I know you can do is disconnect the terminals from the server.

You might also be able to overheat the server by shutting down cooling, but don't quote me on that.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Reece

Post by Reece » #147722

Is there anything wrong with the counterfeit exosuit machine? Or is it okay to use.
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #147739

Cheimon wrote:If AI, or some other antagonist with all access, how do I go about wiping the research levels completely? All I could see last time I tried (a while ago) were options to wipe technologies one by one, which is obviously a slow process.
Kill the servers, decon the R&D console?
Or kill the servers and hit the reset button on the R&D console?
Either way, start with killing the servers.
Reece

Post by Reece » #147941

Is there a way to play singleplayer to just test certain things out on TG's code?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #147942

Reece wrote:Is there a way to play singleplayer to just test certain things out on TG's code?
Download the code https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station here ("Download ZIP", then unzip), download Dream Maker if you don't already have it, then edit yourself into admins.txt (it's in the config subfolder) as "Game Maker" or "Host", giving you the admin equivalent of all-access. Next, go to Dream Maker, open the tgstation DME (I think?), Compile, then Run. If you did it right, you'll start up your own server - nobody else can join - and you can spawn in things to test.

(Also, there's a "make powergrid" button or something similar in Debug verbs, in case you don't want to bother with the engine. You can also "Start Now" in Server verbs, skipping the wait for the round starting. Play around with the ones that sound interesting.)
Reece

Post by Reece » #147943

Thanks.
Reece

Post by Reece » #147955

I editied the config to make me an admin, compiled it and ran it. But I'm just spawning in as a guy.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #147958

double check you got the formatting down pat, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass. also IIRC there's a second admins.txt in the cfg folder, try editing both. if all else fails, don't be afraid of replacing another admin on the txt/erasing every admin but the host and replacing his ckey with yours.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Reece

Post by Reece » #147980

Thanks, got it working now after gutting the admin file and replacing the host with my key.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #148201

Reece wrote:Is there anything wrong with the counterfeit exosuit machine? Or is it okay to use.
It behaves exactly the same way as a regular exosuit fab, though it's not near an R&D console so it won't get any updated research levels (But grabbing the spare R&D console board from tech storage is easy and no one misses it).
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #148453

Does anyone know the exact healing properties of doctors delight?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #148458

Zilenan91 wrote:Does anyone know the exact healing properties of doctors delight?
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... ts.dm#L398
looks like it heals 0.5 of each damage type per tick and drains hunger (unless you're a doctor)
Spoiler:
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #148463

It drains nutrition (unless you're an MD), so you get more hungry, not less. It's weird that the CMO doesn't benefit from it, though.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148466

Would anyone be opposed to it healing 1 of everything per second instead of 0.5?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #148469

Zilenan91 wrote:Would anyone be opposed to it healing 1 of everything per second instead of 0.5?
A bit pointless because you need omnizine to make it. But I doubt anyone would be opposed
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148471

You need Cryoxadone for it now, not Omnizine.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #148473

o sick
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #148554

Is there a list of all the fancy non-human organs you can implant and their effects?
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #148561

1g88a wrote:Is there a list of all the fancy non-human organs you can implant and their effects?
Not sure what you mean. Xenomorph organs? Abductor glands? R&D implants?
Spoiler:
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #148688

PKPenguin321 wrote:
1g88a wrote:Is there a list of all the fancy non-human organs you can implant and their effects?
Not sure what you mean. Xenomorph organs? Abductor glands? R&D implants?
All of the above.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Broomstick
Byond Username: Broomy

Post by Broomstick » #148691

1. Are there any good up-to-date Toxins guides yet?
2. With the advent of the pimpin' ride, how can I be a more efficient janitor?
3. How can I assist RnD and the station with the Experimentor?
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #148697

Broomstick wrote:3. How can I assist RnD and the station with the Experimentor?
By not using it. You can sometimes maybe get lucky using irradiate(?) to upgrade an item and get some good illegal tech research but in most other cases: it's a death trap/waste of time
Reece

Post by Reece » #148702

Indeed, the most useful thing you can do is use 'discover' to summon up shit loads of corgies for the cook, or accidentally summon a legion of really pissed off mobs who will geefully fuck you up and then (assuming you're being a moron and used the new item outside the blast door sealable chamber) gleefuly fuck up the rest of science, thus ruining the round for a good half an hour.

Thing needs to get improved or cut.
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #148708

Errr, what. Experimentor gets you xray guns, thermal implants, xray implants all that jazz. It's insanely useful for research.
Just don't upgrade it and put in a durand weapons board, smash buttons until the experimentor draws your blood... this adds one level to all techs on the item - the former combat 4 circuit board is now a combat 5 board, allowing you to reach combat 6 without combat shotties.
Do the same with MMIs (use the ones from robotics if they have any left because reliability) for bio 6.
Experimenting on crossbows gives you illegal 5.

No idea if there is a limit... other than your patience.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149867

How does bleeding work?

Whats the most reliable way to make someone bleed out?
How can you check someone is bleeding?
Do spessmen's wounds clot or are they hemophiliacs?

I need to know for reasons involving meat spikes and killing piggies.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149904

Bleeding happens when there's too much brute damage on a particular limb. It never stops on its own, examining will always tell you if someone is bleeding if they are bleeding out no matter how much covering they have, and bleeding never clots. You need to tear up bedsheets, use gauze, or heal the wound to get rid of it.

Meatspiking people does not cause any bleeding, but it does cause brute everywhere.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #149924

Note, though, that if you thunk someone's chest 2 times with your harmbaton, they *will* start to bleed out when meatspiked. So you can crucify people if that's what you're into.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #149979

You know - speaking of the experimentor, what does upgrading it actually do?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #149991

Malkevin wrote:How does bleeding work?

Whats the most reliable way to make someone bleed out?
How can you check someone is bleeding?
Do spessmen's wounds clot or are they hemophiliacs?

I need to know for reasons involving meat spikes and killing piggies.
bleeding makes you slowly loose blood, wowie
the less blood you have the more oxy damage you take and at some point (usually below 80% blood) you start passing out. iirc about 200u of blood is 35% worth, and the blood bags in medbay are 200u each, meaning if you have about 65% blood or higher you're generally safe with a blood transfusion. at absurdly low blood levels such as 20% or whatever, death is not only practically guaranteed but recovery of the patient with a defib is extremely difficult. 0% is instant death. getting a blood transfusion with incompatible blood is extremely toxic and a very underused method of murder. blood is regenerated if the subject consumes iron or food.

the most reliable ways to make someone bleed out are embedding and brute damage. if any one damage zone has too much damage, they will begin to bleed. if they have anything embedded in them at all, they will bleed.

check if somebody's bleeding by examining them. under the text like "They have severe burns!" and "They have severe bruising!" there will be text that says "They are bleeding!" and they will also drip little dots of blood when they walk. if you are bleeding but not sure, you can examine yourself by clicking yourself on help intent, and text at the bottom will say that you're bleeding.

spacemen will always bleed should they either have something embedded or have any limb with enough brute damage on it, as i already said. bleeding can be temporarily stopped with gauze (or improvised gauze which lasts shorter, and is made from using wirecutters on bedsheets). if embedded items or removed or brute damage is healed, bleeding stops instantly. iirc cryo at certain temperatures also slows your heart enough to stop bleeding while you're in the tube.
Spoiler:
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #150093

DemonFiren wrote:You know - speaking of the experimentor, what does upgrading it actually do?

Code: Select all

/obj/machinery/r_n_d/experimentor/RefreshParts()
	for(var/obj/item/weapon/stock_parts/manipulator/M in component_parts)
		if(resetTime > 0 && (resetTime - M.rating) >= 1)
			resetTime -= M.rating
	for(var/obj/item/weapon/stock_parts/scanning_module/M in component_parts)
		badThingCoeff += M.rating*2
	for(var/obj/item/weapon/stock_parts/micro_laser/M in component_parts)
		badThingCoeff += M.rating
Manipulator resets the machine more quickly.
Laser and scanning module reduce the chance of getting something bad.
So, if you want to advance tech levels, it'd be best to only upgrade the manipulator.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #150097

What's "something bad", though? Anything but a "the machine fails"?
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #150109

TheNightingale wrote:What's "something bad", though? Anything but a "the machine fails"?
It might be that increasing the risks also enhances the rewards.
Experimentor can clone items, or can release a TB virus smoke grenade in your face.
When unupgraded, these things never happen though (you largely only get runtimes, corgis or the tech upgrade).
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150132

CosmicScientist wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:bloooood
Isn't it at a flat 30 brute damage on any body part that causes bleeding? I know that's what it was when originally added.
pretty sure that's it, yeah
Spoiler:
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #150350

How do you make black powder nades?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #150351

Black Powder has to be lit. Usually you just make like 49 black powder 1 unit ClF3
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

confused rock

Post by confused rock » #150366

Zilenan91 wrote:Black Powder has to be lit. Usually you just make like 49 black powder 1 unit ClF3
What is clf3? and if it were a bluespace beaker, would it still be 299-1?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #150367

CLF3 is a chem that lights you on fire. ALso the most efficient way to do chem grenades is to have another chemist give you tooth implants. You can pop all of htem at once immediately and it can't be taken away from you or stopped by stunning you.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #150378

How close do Blob resource and factories need to be to a node to work?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #150380

Every so often, a blob core or node will send out a blob pulse. Any special blob on those tiles then procs its effect. So if a node procs a factory, a nugger will spawn, and if a node procs a resource, it will give you resources. They can technically be very very very far away, yet still in pulse range, just far less efficient.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

confused rock

Post by confused rock » #150386

Zilenan91 wrote:CLF3 is a chem that lights you on fire. ALso the most efficient way to do chem grenades is to have another chemist give you tooth implants. You can pop all of htem at once immediately and it can't be taken away from you or stopped by stunning you.
but what If I DON'T want to suicide bomb, and, you know, actually not die?
Buggy
Byond Username: Buggy1234

Post by Buggy » #150389

I though that anything that isn't just a reaction/chain reaction in a grenade doesn't work. Eg, you can't make a grenade that has black powder and CFL3, because the CFL3 has to react first and heat up the black powder, and then the black powder has to react again to detonate. Same goes for cryostylane/pyrosium, etc.

You can, however, make black powder grenades by preheating the ingredients for black powder so they make black powder and the black powder immediately reacts to form a black powder explosion because it's above the reaction temp.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #150391

Zilenan91 wrote:Every so often, a blob core or node will send out a blob pulse. Any special blob on those tiles then procs its effect. So if a node procs a factory, a nugger will spawn, and if a node procs a resource, it will give you resources. They can technically be very very very far away, yet still in pulse range, just far less efficient.
Ah right so technically infinite range but making them closer causes them to trigger more often