Lavaland

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Re: Lavaland

Post by Bombadil » #181035

Bottom post of the previous page:

Accelerators 2 shot ashwalkers its kinda bullshit. If you got an asshole miner they can easily kill you
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #181038

Real jobs have priority over ghost roles.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #181039

At the same time, you can get 15 ash walkers just by dunking a few legions, and you get super easy corpse gibbing if you down a miner and want to fuck him out of his round just because
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #181041

In no particular order:

@Cheridan

Either of those mob things would be fun

@Steelpoint

Kinda taking a break in regards to grand design goals, the only plan right now is to flesh out what there is currently and maybe try lavastation

@tetra

I will nerf player dragons
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #181051

Ashwalkers aren't even that hard to kill unless they someone manage to land like 3 spear embeds in a row.

Ran into what was a ransacked survival capsule with blood and a supply headset, the nest was like 10-15 tiles to the east of it. Ashwalkers ended up coming back to gather the rest of the loot and it essentially ended with one of them trying to suicide bomb me with gibtonite I had mined earlier while the others chucked spears. Shit got pretty intense as I got knocked down by a spear and was saved solely by 2 goliaths who roamed into the battle and managed to pull the heat off me.

Pushed them back and killed the tendril, was probably one of the more memorable PvP moments in this game that wasn't solely from shit like rev/gang murder. Was actually pretty fun, would fight off ash liggers again.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #181089

MMMiracles wrote:Ashwalkers aren't even that hard to kill unless they someone manage to land like 3 spear embeds in a row.

Ran into what was a ransacked survival capsule with blood and a supply headset, the nest was like 10-15 tiles to the east of it. Ashwalkers ended up coming back to gather the rest of the loot and it essentially ended with one of them trying to suicide bomb me with gibtonite I had mined earlier while the others chucked spears. Shit got pretty intense as I got knocked down by a spear and was saved solely by 2 goliaths who roamed into the battle and managed to pull the heat off me.

Pushed them back and killed the tendril, was probably one of the more memorable PvP moments in this game that wasn't solely from shit like rev/gang murder. Was actually pretty fun, would fight off ash liggers again.
I was the one who tried to bomb you

Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Re: Angel wings. The new slippery slope.

Post by Tornadium » #183301

I should clarify I fucking hate Lavaland.

More on principle because they thought adding a PvE loot dungeon with shit that doesn't fit the setting was okay but giving security ballistic weapons was a shit idea because it didn't fit the setting.
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #183310

Tornadium wrote:I should clarify I fucking hate Lavaland.

More on principle because they thought adding a PvE loot dungeon with shit that doesn't fit the setting was okay but giving security ballistic weapons was a shit idea because it didn't fit the setting.
hahahahaha!!!!
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183368

Kor wrote:
Tornadium wrote:I should clarify I fucking hate Lavaland.

I don't think objecting to something violating NT's theme is entirely equivalent to an enemy/alien/outside force having its own theme.

Wizards have magic but I wouldn't want security to start with wands. Each faction should have some internal consistency at least.

If you hate PVE on principle though then whatever, not gonna change your mind there. It's the only way to really alleviate the zero sum game of antag vs security and general angst though.

All that said I didn't add angel wings.
You basically turned mining into an away mission, and the biggest complaint about away missions was that they were just used to grab loot for power gaming.

At least the away missions were kinda fitting to the theme and universe.

I would argue that adding the shit that lavaland adds is a much much worse breach than giving security fucking ballistics in terms of consistency. The special snowflake meme shit is just getting out of control, Not sure about others but each new addition is just making me go "what the fuck".
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #183377

>away missions were fitting to the universe and setting

Like when you visit wizard school, raid a maze full of Faithless, or shoot skeletons in hell? How is lavaland out of sync with maps like that?

>you turned lavaland into an away mission

Yes, and it's pretty popular. People liked away missions.

But away missions had really boring lazy mobs, way too much loot, and were generally just really easy to memorize and exploit.

You can't go into lavaland with a toolbox and come back with 30 c20rs.

>shit that lavaland adds is a way bigger breach

Like what?
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183378

Kor wrote:>away missions were fitting to the universe and setting

Like when you visit wizard school, raid a maze full of Faithless, or shoot skeletons in hell? How is lavaland out of sync with maps like that?

>you turned lavaland into an away mission

Yes, and it's pretty popular. People liked away missions.

But away missions had really boring lazy mobs, way too much loot, and were generally just really easy to memorize and exploit.

You can't go into lavaland with a toolbox and come back with 30 c20rs.

>shit that lavaland adds is a way bigger breach

Like what?
I never played the maze or hell away missions, so I can't comment on those. They sound fucking retarded. The wizard one is fine because wizard has been part of the game forever so the crew being ordered to get some payback isn't out of the realms of possibility.

It's only popular because people love to powergame and grab the gear. Lets be serious no one enjoys BYOND PvE, it's not engaging at all. You do everything for the sweet powergame items.

I'm unsure of the full list of what is available from lavaland but the dragon loot from what I recall seemed particularly fucking stupid. If there is a full list of what can be acquired I'd be happy to point them out. It just seems comical that breaking NT laser weapon theme isn't acceptable but turning mining into "powergame PvE for gear" where absolutely no one mines ever is acceptable.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183379

I dunno, I enjoy it and I think lots of other people do too. It is fun
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183381

Wyzack wrote:I dunno, I enjoy it and I think lots of other people do too. It is fun
I would argue that the vast majority enjoy getting the powergamey loot over the actual PvE experience.

Especially with the lag spikes getting you killed before you can react sometimes.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #183382

Ironically one of the most widespread compaints about lavaland is that there isn't enough loot to justify the danger level.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #183383

Tornadium have you actually played the new mining or are you just theory-crafting out of your ass at this point I mean really.

The loot is a side-benefit of the job as a miner. It can give them an edge but seriously unless you're killing the ash drake most of the loot mining can get ahold of is easily matched/out-done by the shit research can pump out with the ore you get them.

It'd be pretty hard to justify getting eaten by an ash drake/turned into a mass of legion/frozen to death on a lavaplanet/fucked by a goliath if there wasn't some sort of reward involved past "RnD might give you some toys if they're competent".
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183386

MMMiracles wrote:Tornadium have you actually played the new mining or are you just theory-crafting out of your ass at this point I mean really.

The loot is a side-benefit of the job as a miner. It can give them an edge but seriously unless you're killing the ash drake most of the loot mining can get ahold of is easily matched/out-done by the shit research can pump out with the ore you get them.

It'd be pretty hard to justify getting eaten by an ash drake/turned into a mass of legion/frozen to death on a lavaplanet/fucked by a goliath if there wasn't some sort of reward involved past "RnD might give you some toys if they're competent".
I've played it, but never to the point of really testing it due to lagging out for 10 second periods and coming back dead.

I do know that there are fucking lava staffs and shit coming out of the ash drake though, which for me is past the point of bullshit for loot.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #183390

MMMiracles wrote:Tornadium have you actually played the new mining or are you just theory-crafting out of your ass at this point I mean really.

so xray, ert armor, katanas, staffs of honkmother, champion belts, zombies, some shit i am probably forgetting, lots more cool shit I am probably forgetting, morph (kor said this is also free antag), hijack objective free antag, hijack objective free antag with all superpowers, fucking forms of null rod, TAROT CARDS WHICH GIVE YOU A RANDOM HOLOPARA, cubes which allow you to teleport, a meat hook staff that fits on your belt, stuns, teleports people to you, and can 3 hit kill (and 1 hits a borg if used at point blank), voodoo dolls, clusterbangs of fire, ai malf upgrades (including the ability to nuke if you subvert it), more shit I am forgetting, recall spells, soul shards, and much much more shit I am forgetting, all of that is outmatched by.. lets see... research has no smgs or laser gatlings... uh, durands? (durands need mining by the way) also, dragons aren't that hard to kill, and lava staff with that thing (especially with your Xray) is hilariously lethal. did I mention the malf upgrade that makes miners the only job besides traitor ai that can nuke the station? or that they can potentially sentience potion a tendril and its first few minions, move them to the station, and fuck shit up, leaving a 5x5 lethal chasm if the crew somehow wins? or the facehuggers? or the stroke I am going to have?
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #183391

The unloved rock wrote:

so xray, ert armor, katanas, staffs of honkmother, champion belts, zombies, some shit i am probably forgetting, lots more cool shit I am probably forgetting, morph (kor said this is also free antag), hijack objective free antag, hijack objective free antag with all superpowers, fucking forms of null rod, TAROT CARDS WHICH GIVE YOU A RANDOM HOLOPARA, cubes which allow you to teleport, a meat hook staff that fits on your belt, stuns, teleports people to you, and can 3 hit kill (and 1 hits a borg if used at point blank), voodoo dolls, clusterbangs of fire, ai malf upgrades (including the ability to nuke if you subvert it), more shit I am forgetting, recall spells, soul shards, and much much more shit I am forgetting, all of that is outmatched by.. lets see... research has no smgs or laser gatlings... uh, durands? (durands need mining by the way) also, dragons aren't that hard to kill, and lava staff with that thing (especially with your Xray) is hilariously lethal. did I mention the malf upgrade that makes miners the only job besides traitor ai that can nuke the station? or that they can potentially sentience potion a tendril and its first few minions, move them to the station, and fuck shit up, leaving a 5x5 lethal chasm if the crew somehow wins? or the facehuggers? or the stroke I am going to have?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183392

I dont give a shit about the loot. Coolest thing i ever got was a SPESS MEHREEN hardsuit one time. I just like it because it gives an interesting PvE experience and chilling in a pod shelter while an ash storm rages is comfy as fuck
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #183399

The unloved rock wrote:

nicely memed, my friend.
Spoiler:
  • xray (something genetics can get in literally minutes if they're lucky!!)
  • theres 3 total armor sets that can be obtained, 2 are random drops from a tendril and one is from actually managing to kill the ash drake. its a bit better than the chaplain's crusader armor in terms of general defense. If you want then I can also bring in miner's explorer suits that can be buffed to 60 melee resist by just killing a few goliaths(!!!)
  • i dont know about a katana but theres a pretty kickass sword you can potentially get from the ash drake loot chest
  • a staff that shoots bananas and requires you to go through literal slip hell to obtain
  • zombies don't exist anymore on lavaland which also means no more championship belt
  • oh boy time to eat the armory and become the world's biggest pianta as the crew kicks your shit in like every other morph
  • you mean the wishgranter behind 2-3 layers of indestructible walls that you can't actually get into?
  • i dont really understand why maybe getting access to a nullrod is such a huge deal with all the other shit on-station just as good/better
  • i don't honestly see the issue with the potential of getting tarot cards if you're lucky enough for that to roll as a drop from all the other useless shit you can potentially get (what the fuck am I suppose to do with rune metal?)
  • so bluespace crystals/teleporters/jaunter. your point being?
  • meat hook drags things to you and for some reason the cyborg stun thing isn't being fixed, also if it is a feature there's also these things called flashes and laser pointers, melee AND ranged cyborg stuns holy moley.
  • voodoo dolls are shit man what are you talking about
  • seems pretty well-themed for where its found tbh
  • an upgrade from a random ruin that benefits the AI, but not the miner? also if your AI is trying to nuke the station after getting this then maybe you shouldn't of set it to anti-mov (seeing how it only gives them malf abilities but no actual malf laws)
  • tendrils can't be sentience potioned anymore besides they're anchored how the hell are you going to move it on-station?
  • lavastaff is iffy, might be over the top honestly
also use a fucking list you fucking lizard
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #183400

MMMiracles wrote: zombies don't exist anymore on lavaland which also means no more championship belt

also use a fucking list you fucking lizard
that was removing just the cursed shovel I thought
also ur fat
also
Wyzack wrote:I dont give a shit about the loot. Coolest thing i ever got was a SPESS MEHREEN hardsuit one time. I just like it because it gives an interesting PvE experience and chilling in a pod shelter while an ash storm rages is comfy as fuck
the spess mehrine is the ert armor, and it is ash storm proof you fucking lizard
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #183402

Almost everything you listed is outclassed by a taser though. Most of the rest was already removed or disabled. Half of it was just ported from old mining loot which existed for years without complaint.

And as impressively long as the list is, its not like you get all of that reliably every round. I am sure if I just listed everything cargo could buy (infinite traitor items!!!) or everything RD could build it'd look pretty crazy as well

@Tornadium

Lucky you got to emptyquote someone who actually played lavaland
Pilgrim
Byond Username: Suspilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » #183412

Yeah the mining gear isn't too overpowered because not only do miners die like flies but they don't really have anything to counter a good stun or two. Haven't had any problems as security facing off traitor miners with intimidating loot.

However, there's definitely a line being crossed in terms of how much shit you can get out of lavaland. It's starting to get a little ridiculous, and most of it is not thematically consistent. SS13 isn't an anime. Just because it's popular with players it doesn't mean it's a be-all end-all... players liked away missions but those were just cheesed to get muh boomsticks. What players "like" does not necessarily reflect in an improvement of gameplay.
First: do no harm.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #183424

I've been trying to keep it thematically consistent, but it's of course a bit harder now that others are contributing to it (not to say I might not have added something dumb to it).

What do you think is out of place? I axed the zombies recently for being a problem, I'm plenty open to pruning bad stuff from it.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #183697

Kor wrote:>shit that lavaland adds is a way bigger breach

Like what?
Lavastaff a.k.a. a weapon that pretty much crits any player the moment they get shot, while creating an unerasable obstacle that sets everyone passing through on fire.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #183755

Sligneris wrote:
Kor wrote:>shit that lavaland adds is a way bigger breach

Like what?
Lavastaff a.k.a. a weapon that pretty much crits any player the moment they get shot, while creating an unerasable obstacle that sets everyone passing through on fire.
1. it can be erased with an rcd
2. it does not always instacrit, and good luck aiming when you are moving
3. it has a delay of like 10 seconds in between shots holy dicks
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #183776

I've been killed as AI with Lavastaff +xray combo from outside of the core.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #183881

2 tendrils next to eachother is the worst even if you kill one you dont get the loot from the 2nd.

Please prevent tendrils from spawning right next to eachother

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #183925

i think lavaland is too dark and would be vastly improved by some sort of luminescent crystal growth or plant or fungi.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #183949

Bombadil wrote:2 tendrils next to eachother is the worst even if you kill one you dont get the loot from the 2nd.

Please prevent tendrils from spawning right next to eachother
Unless you have a meathook so you can pull from eachother
The future is horrible!
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #184024

you dont need a meat hook just bluespace crystal
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #184077

Wait... you can bluespace tendrils?

This changes EVERYTHING

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #184078

Super Aggro Crag wrote:i think lavaland is too dark and would be vastly improved by some sort of luminescent crystal growth or plant or fungi.
Crystals would be cool maybe they could grow like fungi and could be cultivated near lava. There you go Tribal lanterns/flashlights

Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #184098

Without coding anything new, you could have glowshrooms spreading naturally
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #184124

Takeguru wrote:Without coding anything new, you could have glowshrooms spreading naturally
Liggers cant make growshroom seeds and the glowshrooms only spread so far from a single point

Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #184140

Yes, I'm aware

I mean have them growing naturally in caves

Any ligger-made tunnels will need to be manually lit
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #184144

I still think a cool idea would be a Doom (2016) esque 'light pole' that each miner carry's in a large stack, you can throw/place these around to mark your way as a sort of life line.

I also think there should be a natural light source aside from the magma, but not something that spreads like glowshrooms.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #184146

Add fissures in the rock that spew out fire for light every so often.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Jike
Byond Username: Jike

Post by Jike » #186924

Colossus spawn too often, period.
Lavaland generation should limit boss monsters to only one or two per round
Also, maybe boss monsters should be forced to spawn far away from the mining outpost, otherwise it can ruin mining for people too quickly.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #186926

Jike wrote:Colossus spawn too often, period.
Also, maybe boss monsters should be forced to spawn far away from the mining outpost, otherwise it can ruin mining for people too quickly.
This. Also they seem to have a weird penchant for spawning wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too close to mining outpost/other spawns in general, it seems. Most of the time I've seen the boss monsters other than drake and they were sitting right outside someones door pretty much. This is bs enough with normal lavaland monsters, bosses spawning right the fuck there is awful.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #186961

Gamarr wrote:
This. Also they seem to have a weird penchant for spawning wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too close to mining outpost/other spawns in general, it seems. Most of the time I've seen the boss monsters other than drake and they were sitting right outside someones door pretty much. This is bs enough with normal lavaland monsters, bosses spawning right the fuck there is awful.
knock knock
The future is horrible!
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #187057

Gamarr wrote:
There's a patch I have up on GitHub right now that causes colossi to spawn via a randomly-spawned ruin. That might help solve the problem to a degree.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #187280

Xhuis wrote: There's a patch I have up on GitHub right now that causes colossi to spawn via a randomly-spawned ruin. That might help solve the problem to a degree.
Not sure code-wise how ruins are handled, if there is a 'cap' on the amount allowed and if so, I hope you take that into account when setting up such a 'boss spawn' area so as not to cut into the other ruins spawn chances, lest we get '3bosses and one normal ruin' or such thanks to rng.

Also saying again because it NEEDS to be said: Remove ghost observation/movement on lavaland ffs, it breaks Everything.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #187282

If ghosts and observers can not zip around lavaland how will they take the ashwalker/golem/plantman roles? Also what exactly do you think it breaks? Ghosts are already not allowed to use information they obtained in death in the round, and it is bannable to do so
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #187286

Wyzack wrote:If ghosts and observers can not zip around lavaland how will they take the ashwalker/golem/plantman roles? Also what exactly do you think it breaks? Ghosts are already not allowed to use information they obtained in death in the round, and it is bannable to do so
Firstly, the roles show up as orbit targets, meaning you do not need to be able to maneuver around lavaland to be able to discover them. Orbit, bottom of the list, there you go. Would like that actually changed, because someone can put ash eggs in a crate and you cannot 'click' them to spawn because of game mechanics but that's a minor issue compared to the present Ghost Problem.

As for the metagaming ghosts? Never seen any kind of enforcement on lavaland spawns ever regarding the behaviour, and this is probably because of how bs it is to usually handle 'metagaming ghosts' that nobody seems to want to bother? I'm not going to stop harping on it, because it is an issue given the now prevalent amount of loot and different spawns in the lava.

Ashlanders going in a straight line for the outpost or a nearby Envy knife/Morph syringe is something I've watched more than once, which is enabled by ghosts pretty much scouting their entire area and having that influence their 'do I play' or not. It's supposedly against the rules to use that knowledge to do that but how many times have I seen an admin pm to a spawn that did it? Zero. Maybe they police it more on Sybil, but I somehow doubt this.

This is why it is just better to remove ghosts movement on the z-level codewise, when it can be done. I know I've made the comparison before, but Goon? Adventure maps have it turned off to protect ruining of the adventure in the different worlds by ghosts that would scour their secrets if allowed. This is no different, and it is a good choice; there is nothing gained by letting the ghosts maneuver there and as I already pointed out, you can access the spawns via orbit.

Edit: Final thing I forgot to mention, the prevalence of spawns in the lava going for the loot that they can see likewise robs miners of the opportunity. Rarely see a miner get morph for instance, instead it's some ash walker or whatever else hitting it because its 20 tiles away from their spawn, then faffing around/dying since morphs don't have night-vision.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #187290

Good point, fund it

Even if admins did start enforcing it properly they can not exactly orbit every single lavaland spawn at once
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #187374

Metagaming as a ghost like this happens on the station as well anyway. It's not a big deal outside of using it to take someone out of the round.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #187393

Gibbed has this tho where you cant explore away mission z levels wouldnt be too special for lavaland would it you could still orbit poeple on the land but just not explore it by yourself
The future is horrible!
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #187394

Ezel wrote:Gibbed has this tho where you cant explore away mission z levels wouldnt be too special for lavaland would it you could still orbit poeple on the land but just not explore it by yourself
Someone already tried this and people complained enough to have the PR closed. Main argument being 'its an open source game so why bother trying to hide secrets'.

I personally think its a stupid argument because most of the community doesn't even look at the forums, let alone the github to find said secrets but w/e.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #187396

Yes its a open source game
But random generation tho you cant beat that by looking into github
The future is horrible!
Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #187399

MMMiracles wrote: Someone already tried this and people complained enough to have the PR closed. Main argument being 'its an open source game so why bother trying to hide secrets'.

I personally think its a stupid argument because most of the community doesn't even look at the forums, let alone the github to find said secrets but w/e.
The logic of hiding hiding our map from ghosts other than Observing/Orbit has nothing to do with hiding secrets of that type, because goon adventure mode is a gigantic puzzlefuck and lavaland is not.
What we have is a massive PVE maze, with rng spawns for pvp. Except the ghosts that make up the pvp element are fucking allowed to cheat and fully do so to get all the cool shit ASAP if they at all can, then cheat/meta they way towards the station to be the biggest asshole they possibly can. It has to do with keeping shit from being exploited because of the randomly spawned locations and loot, that sometimes happens right outside a doorstep.