Women's studies majors make a video game (Mass Effect 4)

Talk about video games here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Re: Women's studies majors make a video game (Mass Effect 4)

Post by DrPillzRedux » #270762

Bottom post of the previous page:

>that scene where Vetra gives you a big burnt steak

Shit, that was too uguu~ for me.

Why is the story so short, god damn.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #270773

For the most part, as the SCIFI geek that I am, there are a lot of points where I can only think "Did they had that big of a death wish?"

The Andromeda initiative goes to colonise another galaxy, ok, cool, so they choose a cluster... With a black hole in the middle. Isn't that a big issue? They rely on communication systems that could simply fail by virtue of having a black hole in the middle of their territory.
They choose six planets, of the garden variety, that they will be able to settle in without too big of an issue.... Only six? What if they get natives? What if they get destroyed, or damaged? What if none of them are compatible with Turian physiology? I wasn't surprised in the least that none of them were ideal, but I was surprised that they didn't have a B plan to fall on, apparently the nexus crew were only too happy to starve to death instead of looking for less hostile planets while waiting for the arks.
For a crew with very limited numbers (20k individuals can run out if things go wrong) safety first isn't that important to them, for starters Ryder's helmet got broken twice, you gotta have in mind that Shepard's maintained his brain intact even after PLANETFALL. No breathing mask for emergencies either, apparently if your trusty ommitool fails, you should accept death, or something.
They trust a lot of the important stuff to AIs... Ok, I gotta understand that 634 years is a lot of time to keep people awake doing rounds keeping the ship stable, on route and so on, but in this setting, AIs are always bad news, and NO ONE bats an eye of leaving a lot of important decisions to AIs when everyone is sleeping (Did they really got the Quarian to cooperate with this project?) Surely they could keep key staff awakening every so often to check on reports, and having an alert system, so they would get defrosted if something goes wrong, so the ships reach the target, instead of slamming against some bad energy thingy.
They brought Krogan on board... Ok, I guess they're the best you can get when it comes to colonise... but then they simply use them, and enrage them.

The tempest looks like a pimping yacht, not a spaceship, I like my spaceships to look like Submarines, I'll admit, keeping them military, dark, armored, without windows and functional, but even the SR2 Normandy (the Cerberus version) was more military savvy that the tempest, it's full of windows everywhere, Ryder's room looks like an ERP wet dream, hell, it only needs the condom box besides the bed, they have a lab, while they could simply send everything to the real scientists in the nexus, they show a disturbing lack of normal crew, and everyone looks on vacation rather than having some excuse of military chain of command to make things work.

People also revolted because they thought the whole affair was a con... Apparently they thought the 600 year travel was an excuse to get their money or something.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #270849

Tomorrow is going to be the real day of reckoning. I'm very curious to see how well this sells, considering that the initial reaction has been pretty negative. I'm not usually one to want games/movies/etc to fail, but given what it represents a part of me can't help but to cheer for it crashing and burning. Developers need to get it through their heads that shitting on their fanbases for virtue points isn't just shitty, but also financially suicidal.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #270853

The Tempest is a civilian scouting vessel, not a Frigate like the Normandy, hence its lack of weaponry and tech compared to the Normandy (which had reaper parts in it after 1). You've gotta remember, the entire initiative was just a private civilian gig, like that one we have that's about going to Mars. It just had "someone big" funding it.

Speaking of the milky way...
Spoiler:
It's confirmed soon after Ryder's dad wakes up that all radio waves from the Milky Way have stopped, and their Andromeda contact stations back home are busted. Alec seals the records so people wouldn't hear about the Milky Way being fucked.
Every normie guy I know is buying it so buckle up for Andromeda 2.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270854

Venture Beat: http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/20/mass- ... da-review/ rated 55/100

Games have to fit into our lives, and that’s not always fair. Mass Effect: Andromeda might’ve worked a decade ago on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but it doesn’t work in a world that is delivering games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this reality, BioWare’s latest role-playing game is old, broken, and often boring.
holy fucking shit
Limey wrote:its too late.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #270857

That's pretty brutal, but also true.
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #270872

ME4 is FO4 all over again.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270879

DemonFiren wrote:ME4 is FO4 all over again.
not quite imo, fallout 4 almost seems to relish in doing everything the way the OG games wouldn't and laughs at fans who miss the old games

andromeda just seems like they were really eager to make a sequel and it just fell apart
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270882

FO4 was beloved by normies, so I wouldn't say so
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #270884

Qbopper wrote:
not quite imo, fallout 4 almost seems to relish in doing everything the way the OG games wouldn't and laughs at fans who miss the old games

andromeda just seems like they were really eager to make a sequel and it just fell apart
Fallout 4: they didn't care
Andromemes: they didn't care
I don't see the difference.

Luke Cox wrote:
FO4 was beloved by normies, so I wouldn't say so
Wait for it.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270887

I mean, nobody really shit on FO4 before it came out. Some longtime fans complained about how Bethesda was gutting all the RPG elements, but reception overall was pretty positive. Andromeda is a meme, and it's not even out yet. A 75 metacritic score from paid off critics is pretty mediocre.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #270912

Luke Cox wrote:I mean, nobody really shit on FO4 before it came out. Some longtime fans complained about how Bethesda was gutting all the RPG elements, but reception overall was pretty positive. Andromeda is a meme, and it's not even out yet. A 75 metacritic score from paid off critics is pretty mediocre.
also this, FO4 was better received by critics
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270915

FO4 looked like a shallow piece of shit that I still have no desire to play, but it did well with critics. Like I said, a 75 average from shills? Shit's bad.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #270916

You know which universally despised RPG has a better score at Metacritic than ME:A right now?
Spoiler:
Dragon Age II, sitting at 82.
Bring back papercult.

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #270919

Sales are what I'm really interested in. Marketing for this game has been pretty meh. The autistic faces have generated more buzz than the game itself. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #270982

a correct post by pillz
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #270998

Fallout 4 was just a case of 'more of the same' following Fallout 3.

Its plot is shit and you can easily guess half the plot after the first ten minutes, and you can see the twists coming ten kilometres away.

It made up by having engaging systems to entertain the player.

The best thing about Fallout 4, and Fallout 3, is anything that has absolutely nothing to do with the main plot.

Fallout New Vegas is essentially what if you made the original Fallout 1 or 2 but made it like a first person shooter akin to Fallout 3, it has a great plot with many interesting characters, and well made level design.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #271003

https://s1.webmshare.com/JeNBv.webm
Gets that noggin' joggin', doesn't it
Bring back papercult.

capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #271012

Steelpoint wrote:Fallout 4 was just a case of 'more of the same' following Fallout 3.

Its plot is shit and you can easily guess half the plot after the first ten minutes, and you can see the twists coming ten kilometres away.

It made up by having engaging systems to entertain the player.

The best thing about Fallout 4, and Fallout 3, is anything that has absolutely nothing to do with the main plot.

Fallout New Vegas is essentially what if you made the original Fallout 1 or 2 but made it like a first person shooter akin to Fallout 3, it has a great plot with many interesting characters, and well made level design.
In other words, NV wasn't made by Bethesda, so it came out ok.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #271028

InsaneHyena wrote:https://s1.webmshare.com/JeNBv.webm
Is that shit for real?
capi duffman wrote: In other words, NV wasn't made by Bethesda, so it came out ok.
The devs need to hire more Russians.
As it stands I'm praying that Molten Clouds doesn't fall apart and I can play 3D FO2 in a few years.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271037

InsaneHyena wrote:https://s1.webmshare.com/JeNBv.webm
Is there anything I'm missing beyond the model changes/worse lighting in this? Didn't see anything that wouldn't change between any other game pre release and post release but my eyes are really bad and I'm really bad at spot the difference
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #271041

Most people don't know that the final product is supposed to look worse than the in-dev.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #271047

It's not the first time I saw something similar (watchdogs for some retarded reason had the graphics downgraded in comparison to the E3 demo... and then people found in the code the option to restore the E3 graphics and it worked with no apparent issue.

As for why... I dunno, normally I'd say no one would want to consciously deliver a subpar project, but then I remember that Casey Hudson gave his personal approval to ME3's ending ("especulation for everyone!") While disregarding the writers who intended to give normal closure to the game.

It makes harder to understand the facial movement issue, though, that leaked footage had more facial expressions than half of the trial version put together.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #271050

InsaneHyena wrote:Image

NO BIGOTS, YOU HEAR ME

I g-guess it's up to me to save the game industry when I go to autism land. I'll make games great again!
Spoiler:
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #271053

capi duffman wrote: I remember that Casey Hudson gave his personal approval to ME3's ending ("especulation for everyone!") While disregarding the writers who intended to give normal closure to the game.
You know, this made me think. Do you remember the original endings, with mass relays destroyed, Victory Fleet stranded and Normandy crash landing on some jungle planet? But then the fandom revolted, and the Bioware had mass relays only damaged and the Normandy getting fixed.
But what if they kept the original endings? Wouldn't Andromeda's plot make much more sense then? Like it's been said - in canon, Milky Way is far from being explored and fully known. What if instead of another galaxy, the game would be set somewhere in unknown regions of the Milky Way. Without mass relays, they would HAVE to explore them and settle down.
Bring back papercult.

capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #271054

That would have been quite better, but I guess facing their own endings scared them enough to ditch 95% of their setting.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271090

InsaneHyena wrote:
capi duffman wrote: I remember that Casey Hudson gave his personal approval to ME3's ending ("especulation for everyone!") While disregarding the writers who intended to give normal closure to the game.
You know, this made me think. Do you remember the original endings, with mass relays destroyed, Victory Fleet stranded and Normandy crash landing on some jungle planet? But then the fandom revolted, and the Bioware had mass relays only damaged and the Normandy getting fixed.
But what if they kept the original endings? Wouldn't Andromeda's plot make much more sense then? Like it's been said - in canon, Milky Way is far from being explored and fully known. What if instead of another galaxy, the game would be set somewhere in unknown regions of the Milky Way. Without mass relays, they would HAVE to explore them and settle down.
I think they just wanted to distance themselves from the mess of ME3's ending entirely
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #271103

The little boy was the stupidest shit I've ever seen.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #271120

lntigracy wrote:The little boy was the stupidest shit I've ever seen.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #271145

Anderson should have been "so proud of you tier".
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #271158

That picture would have been way less cringy awful without the word tier after every joke
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #271161

How's this doing in the eyes of the general public?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #271168

Wyzack wrote:That picture would have been way less cringy awful without the word tier after every joke
no culture tier

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271205

Luke Cox wrote:How's this doing in the eyes of the general public?
I know a few "normies" for lack of a better word who were tentative because of the hubbub but they've bought the game and love it so far

Not sure what to think of that
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #271207

EA reports strong sales figures (some outlet said 6 million estimate). Devs are saying they want to fix their mess up.

So at this point expect an Andromeda 2.

a correct post by pillz
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #271212

Well... I'll be waiting for a sale since I don't participate in piracy these days.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #271227

The only discussion going on for this game is either the animations or the waifus.

Fuck.

a correct post by pillz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #271253

reviews no longer matter tbh, they can put shit out in a garbage broken state and people will still buy that shit if it had a good marketing campaign, just see no mans sky.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #271255

Luke Cox wrote:How's this doing in the eyes of the general public?
There's a crew of gamers at work that I don't engage with much because we work opposite shifts and their tastes are kinda lame. They talk about Dark Souls 3 every single day, but not in the hardcore like...dissecting builds and talking about their funtimes PVP stuff but like normal casual "oh man that part in the woods were all the guys try to stab you with the trees was so tough!" way.

They've all apparently bought Andromeda, as they have now shifted to talking about it.

The conversation I was able to overhear today was just them listing NPC's they had met and one of them saying

"Oh yeah, that guy is stupid."

And then them all agree'ing. And then one of them would be like "Oh did you meet that scientist person at the place?"

And they would be like "Yeah, they're kinda lame." or something like that.

It was just them listing every experience they had had with the games story and NPC's and concurring that it was all kinda shit.

They eventually shifted back to talking about ME2 and ME3 and hoping that somehow some of the characters from those games would appear.

tl;dr She's dead, Jim.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #271257

DrPillzRedux wrote:EA reports strong sales figures (some outlet said 6 million estimate). Devs are saying they want to fix their mess up.

So at this point expect an Andromeda 2.
Well duh, of course EA isn't going to come out and say "Yeah, this bombed, you should dump all your stock in us". Never take the developer's word for it.
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #271268

I blame preorders.
Bring back papercult.

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #271286

InsaneHyena wrote:I blame preorders.
This is the correct answer
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #271288

bruh i just remembered about that whole "STEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE" shit.

first time i heard it i had to literally pause the game because i could not see anything there were too many tears and convulsions from laughter it fucking broke me.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #271309

dont laugh at steve BIGOTS

a correct post by pillz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #271329

I blame pillz for this
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #271342

Bring back papercult.

DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #271352

I blame the gays.

Make sure to preorder Mass Effect: Andromeda 2! Grab a pack of Monster! energy drinks to fuel your gaming needs, and level up with free crates.

a correct post by pillz
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #271356

Gay people are also complaining about this game

>There is an achievement for romancing 3 people in one game
>Only 2 gay M/M options, one of which has no lines

They really didn't think this through
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #271376

Everyone is complaining about the game. This is a real example of devs trying to "pander" to the LGBTQ community but just demonstrating that they have no idea how to write such characters.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #271384

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #271416

The great emeralds powa allows me to feel
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster