2k17 /pol/

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Re: 2k17 /pol/

Post by Professor Hangar » #303280

Bottom post of the previous page:

ColonicAcid wrote:thats because that is what it is exactly.

it was a book that bound all the arabian tribes together. islam and government have been intrinsically linked due to this. That's why throughout majority of muslim nations they've been caliphates and sultanates rather than kingdoms and republics. when middle eastern countries finally began to shed the link between state and religion the west tactically intervened to prevent BAH GAWD COMMUNISM EISENHOWER.
Kind of ironic given that the current powerhouse of Islamic extremism is Saudi Arabia, a full on absolute monarchy that no one wants to say out loud is funding ISIS and Al-Quaeda (Bin Laden himself was a goddamn Saudi Arabian aristocrat pissed that he didn't get every cent of daddy's money) because they have the real life Infinite Money cheat code, and pushes probably the most puritan and extreme version of Islam with a significant following (Salafism is basically everything the right believes Islam is). It's like if Fred Phelps' clan were literal kings and princes with a near-monopoly on desperately needed resources.

Though I think it should go without saying that religious extremists are pretty much always hypocrites who pick and choose and outright rewrite anything in their holy book that they don't like. Though so are the nice religious people. The sane people ignore the crazy bits and the crazy people ignore the sane bits. (and the bits that are the wrong kind of crazy)

Medieval Islam actually was by law tolerant of Christians and Jews, just making them pay higher taxes as an incentive to convert. (Ironically, this resulted in regional Muslim leaders discouraging their Christian and Jewish subjects from converting, because without the extra religious taxes they'd go broke) The whole extremist routine is actually an incredibly recent thing pretty much entirely coming from Uncle Sam murdering anyone who looked like they might be friendly to the Commies and installing religious fanatics and literal kings in their place. (Hence why Iran is really pissed at the USA, and yet also probably the most stable and sane Muslim country)

(Though that's a huge oversimplification, given if you go further back you get the British, the French, the Ottomans and god knows what else involved. Also literally Dracula)

Reality is so much more interestingly crazy and damning of everyone involved than conspiracy theories.
Last edited by Professor Hangar on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #303284

CosmicScientist wrote:How different were the caliph and the sultans to the pope and the kings ruling by divine right? Did christian nobles, clergy and burghers often have more to threaten and enforce overthrowing the above with?

How did republics happen after the romans gave up the idea? And were they particularly christian on either of the two main branches of the religion?
The history of the Catholic Church is amazing, just start with the Borgias. They were basically predecessors to the Mafia in many, many ways.

But in general, the answer to your questions is 'It varied and is almost always ridiculously complicated'. The Caliphate in particular is unusual to track succession of given it went by order of seniority in the governing clan rather than strict patrilineal succession, and also made succession crises common, difficult to track and the source of literal religious schisms. (Like the biggest division of Islam, Sunni and Shia, comes from ultimately a conflict over the legitimacy of the Caliph's successor)

And it's more or less a rule of thumb that the nobility of any society are ALWAYS constantly quarrelling, scheming and warring amongst each other for influence. Democracy can even be said to basically succeed by making that an inherent, legal and regulated part of the system.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #304015

I missed this thread.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304459

Brits either get to vote for May, an idiot, but one who'll go through Brexit and possibly get a good deal too, and Corbyn, a stupid pacific, commie hippie who's only relevant because May got greedy and dumb

What an election
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #304487

ShadowDimentio wrote:possibly get a good deal too
shadowmemes showing once again how delusional he is

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #304492

He isn't wrong this time. May is a fucking moron but she's the only one who has any sort of plan to go through Brexit without letting the UK get fucked by the EU.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #304506

"Plan" might not have been the best way to phrase it, but she's the only candidate who doesn't seem intent on deliberately sabotaging the UK during negotiations.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #304515

My con leaflet had a photo of the candidate that must've been taken with a greasy potato

Oh, and he lives in Wimbledon. Couldn't be more removed from the north if he tried.

My independent choices are a former Lib Dem, by the way did anybody else forget that Lib Dems were in this Coalition with the cons?
Or the owner of a software development company who may have the Asperger's.

I of course voted for the aspie.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #304593

As far as those choices go, the aspie is probably the better one
At least those don't have a history of political intrigue and fucking over people for their own profit

Britain is somehow worse than the US when it comes to politics, I don't know how you did it
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304621

DemonFiren wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:possibly get a good deal too
shadowmemes showing once again how delusional he is
She'll TRY to get a good deal, as opposed to bending over and getting fucked by the EU like Corbyn plans to, if he doesn't just throw Brexit out the window because he doesn't want it.

May at least knows that if she just says fuck you to the EU and walks out, the EU will get hurt more than Britain will, so no deal is in a way better than a bad deal.

You're right though the EU has every reason to try and fuck over the UK for leaving and no reason to play nice.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304740

Brexit without a deal will still sting Britain, but the pain will fade as the EU collapses and Britain long since moved on. It's still infinitely preferable to a shit deal that'll almost certainly hurt more over the long term.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #304746

ShadowDimentio wrote:Brexit without a deal will still sting Britain, but the pain will fade as the EU collapses and Britain long since moved on. It's still infinitely preferable to a shit deal that'll almost certainly hurt more over the long term.
Are you trying to kill me, or do you only want to remotely amputate my sides?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304748

Keep telling yourself that, lizard
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #304751

Shadowmemes confirmed for internet assassin.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304786

Weaponized autism
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
XSI

Post by XSI » #304840

To be fair there, the EU has been "About to collapse" for pretty much decades now
It's on the edge and yet they've holding on tighter than a jew to a sack of coins

They don't want to let go, yet they completely and utterly fail to explain why it's a good idea not to
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304842

The JEWS globalists have untold fortunes invested into the EU, if it breaks apart they lose all their money and power. It's totally unsurprising that they're digging their nails into the floor, clawing and screaming, trying to hold on.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
XSI

Post by XSI » #304844

Except they still have the same powers invested in the national governments, and they could more easily just push through the same shit on a treaty than using the EU
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #304845

Some do, but a lot of them are only employed as bureaucrats by the EU.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305040

The rich assholes will be fine either way, their only problem is their high score might be smaller if things go one way or the other.

I find it hilarious to call any politician some variant of starry-eyed dreamer who can't do REAL SERIOUS POLITICS nowadays, because it has been abundantly clear that the Very Serious People in charge of major political parties are even more massive blatant clownshoes who are incapable of even pretending to be competent any more. I think it's the result of decades of entrenched nepotism meaning higher office is almost completely locked off to anyone who isn't already a spoiled monster, except when you have those flukes of actual democracy allowing some charismatic fucker to steamroll the flailing brats.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #305206

Brit election is today, you have two shit choices but I believe in you!
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #305208

ShadowDimentio wrote:Brit election is today, you have two shit choices but I believe in you!
correction

in my constituency I had four shit choices
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #305211

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #305221

Comney also had his big day today, and exonerated Trump while also revealing himself as a leaker and the old attorney general Lynch as having meddled in the Hillary investigation.

Wew lads
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #305309

Wtf is Norsefire?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #305312

Malkevin wrote:Wtf is Norsefire?
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #305313

The authoritarian bad guy party from v for vendetta
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #305342

Ah that movie where Stephen Fry said the Koran was a book of peace.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #305430

So far it looks like no party is going to have a majority, although the Conservatives are still the largest. Lib Dems have said that they are not willing to form any coalitions. Realistically, it's going to either be a minority government or a re-election.

Here I bitched about choosing between a clown and a criminal and a clown. Now the UK has to choose between Hitler and Stalin.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #305470

Voted Ukip because greens live on another planet where the ideal of clean planet stands above our state of living on it and will just tax us more, meanwhile major parties are just a shitshow.

Spoiler:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #305582

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Voted Ukip because greens live on another planet where the ideal of clean planet stands above our state of living on it and will just tax us more, meanwhile major parties are just a shitshow.
so u vote ukip...

the party that has LITERALLY already done what it set out to do.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #305635

tl'dr as I see it

May gambled on the UKIP voters ditching UKIP as being no longer relevant post-referendum and hoped that'd swing her a bunch of marginal seats, instead got fucked because May is actually pure electoral poison to the more libertarian leaning of the marginal tory voters. Basically she massively underestimated the "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" wing that usually vote tory but don't want anything to do with the person that made the investigatory powers bill a thing and wants to go even further with the internet censorship and literally repeal the human rights act.

The tories can pretty much be summed up right now by the whole porn bill thing, where they banned the plebs from anything other than the missionary position while the PM at the time was someone who literally jerked off into a dead pig. One rule for me and another for thee is never going to sell well.
XSI

Post by XSI » #305657

British election results are in
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #305702

Calling it now, Tory/DUP coalition. RIP UK. At least Brexit will happen though.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #305719

2010 and the resulting coalition fucking ravaged the Lib Dems. Granted, they were pretty ideologically opposed and the coalition was seen as the ultimate sell-out by many. DUP is basically Conservatives albeit slightly more insane, so it might work out for them.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #305721

The Lib Dems did wind up blunting a lot of the crazier Tory policies, but their voters never forgave them for the tuition fees thing. That was seen as a massive sellout on their part.

Latest reports are saying the DUP aren't entering a formal coalition, but they're doing a "deal" with the tories that pretty much amounts to "fuck Corbyn, we'd rather literally anyone else be in number 10" on account of his being pally with Sinn Fein.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305742

From all I gather, people are measuring Theresa May's remaining tenure as PM with a stopwatch, and the only question is who's going to be next to take the poison chalice of Prime Ministership.

The ol Poms are reaching Australia levels of political backstabbing at the worst possible time, or maybe just a running gag of Tory PMs resigning after calling elections they assume they'll win and then losing.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #305799

Enough about britpol its time for stuff that really matters!

A transgender killed 3 people in Pennsylvania because he thought he was possessed by the ghost of Ember from nickelodeon's Danny phantom and people made fun of his fan animations and fanfic. Should people like this be preemptively locked up? Should autistic transgenders be considered extremely dangerous? Should we put them in a camp and electrocute then until they stop obsessing over children's cartoons and sutogynephilia? Discus. Frisbee.
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305812

I think it's great progress that transgender people have broken the spree killer glass ceiling, with achievements equalling those of radical islamic terrorists and angry white guys who are most definitely lone wolves.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #305818

Dont forget black dudes with machetes, ex cops, and Hispanic drivers!
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #305821

I think the Victorians had the right idea of keeping the rabid retards locked away from the normal people
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #305822

And charging fees to watch them fight and shit themselves!
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305823

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Dont forget black dudes with machetes, ex cops, and Hispanic drivers!
Are we recruiting for the next Fast and Furious franchise?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #305836

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Enough about britpol its time for stuff that really matters!

A transgender killed 3 people in Pennsylvania because he thought he was possessed by the ghost of Ember from nickelodeon's Danny phantom and people made fun of his fan animations and fanfic. Should people like this be preemptively locked up? Should autistic transgenders be considered extremely dangerous? Should we put them in a camp and electrocute then until they stop obsessing over children's cartoons and sutogynephilia? Discus. Frisbee.
I hope the transgender community comes forward to disavow and condemn the actions of this individual, and make a clear statement that they do not support violence.

Am I doing it right?
XSI

Post by XSI » #305842

Sounds more like classical insanity and inability to separate fact from fiction

It's easy for someone who is already insane to be either convinced that they are transexual by various media and people who don't always mean what's best for them, or for them to adopt it for the attention and praise it is given in modern society. Either way, the whole "Ghost possessed me so I shot people" is probably more of a problem than "Thinks the bits in their pants don't fit who they are"
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #305843

Grazyn wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Enough about britpol its time for stuff that really matters!

I hope the transgender community comes forward to disavow and condemn the actions of this individual, and make a clear statement that they do not support violence.

Am I doing it right?
Don't u get it the REAL victims are all the Danny phantom fans that will now be subject to phantophobia
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #305876

XSI wrote:It's easy for someone who is already insane to be either convinced that they are transexual by various media and people who don't always mean what's best for them, or for them to adopt it for the attention and praise it is given in modern society.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #305985

I think after Eliot Rodgers, no one cares about video game shooters anymore except feminists that even the tabloids don't listen to.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #306109

DemonFiren is just being an eternal Hans again.

>There's no WAY you can beat EU.
>We will fuck you one way or another!
>DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES
Bring back papercult.

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #306401

EU is a sinking ship. They can't punish the UK for a hard Brexit without fucking themselves in the ass, and they know it.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #306417

There's nothing the EU can do to Britain that won't hurt them worse, unless there's some mumblefuck like Corbyn on the other side that'll sign anything they ask him to.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz