Some changes.

General SS13 Chat
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Some changes.

Post by MrStonedOne » #422185

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be unifying the forum administration with the game administration team.

Meaning in game admins will have limited mod powers in the on topic sections, game masters will have global mod powers, and headmins will be forum admins.

The most important part is i'll be making a set of unified community rules that apply equally to ooc, forums, discord, and irc, as right now we have a mess of rules and conflicting standards.

This also means admin complaints, ban appeals, and admin feedback will grow in purpose, something that players have asked for for a while.

In regards to the current bit of drama, I'll be encoding some standards relating to communication with banned users about why they are banned. (as a side note: This will also include a general rule for admins against announcing to other users that users are banned or why they are banned.)

If you are wondering what direction I'm going to go with all of this, I'll leave you with a quote.
hornygranny wrote: This was so long ago not many people will remember, but we left goonstation because we wanted a place to play where we would all be treated fairly and transparently, rather than according to the whims of an admin team who didn't feel the need to justify their actions.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Some changes.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #422186

Muh snowflake global mod role
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #422192

MSO putting the leathers on the administration.
I play Boris Pepper.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #422193

Goofball died for our sins.
I play Boris Pepper.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #422196

>This will also include a general rule for admins against announcing to other users that users are banned or why they are banned.

Will this include in ahelps? I often let the victim know of what action was taken, especially if they seem especially wronged.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #422197

Is there still going to be an announcement made about the recent stupid drama bullshit surrounding the goofball ban? I think it is a long time coming for the amount of shit stirring it has caused
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #422206

Admin accountability when?
help
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #422211

I can't say it's an outright bad idea but I want to point out major reasons we never did something like this in the past was to try to give the forums a bit more of a "neutral zone" territory between the administration and playerbase. It wasn't until late in the Erro forums era that in-game admins were even given forum mod powers, and even then it was only a very few of us who were extremely active on the forums (Ie like the whole cleaning up FNR thing) and dedicated to keeping the discourse neutral and fair.

I think the recent situations, my own situation that lead to my hut confiment as well, shows how important it is that maybe game admins and such DON'T have control over the discussion forums.

Having a unified code of conduct sounds great, but I think it would be best served if the forums had their own independent staff that was intended to remain impartial when it comes to SRS BSNS.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #422213

Dax Dupont wrote:>This will also include a general rule for admins against announcing to other users that users are banned or why they are banned.

Will this include in ahelps? I often let the victim know of what action was taken, especially if they seem especially wronged.
To add to this, sometimes someone did something particularly notorious (BoHbombing the shuttle as a non-antag, etc etc) and it tends to eat up OOC for a while with people asking if they got banned/if anything's being done. I wouldn't say we need to supply the information in those situations but I definitely think it's helpful to players who otherwise can end up feeling like the admins are letting people get away with stuff.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #422219

I share Dax's question. It's quite irritating to a player if they get no closure when they adminhelp.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #422220

Giving both more power and responsabilities to every single admin after the recent headmin fiasco seems counterintuitive.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #422221

Half the reason we had the fiasco was because of a lack of clarity over power and responsibilities
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #422227

I think a better solution is to just get a better forum team rather than give the people who just made the mistakes even more control over the whole playground, no?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #422233

To put it another way:

Iterating that people don't have a right to know why other people have been banned
At the same time that you give everyone responsible for the bans power over the #1 vehicle for communication outside the game

You put these two things together and it starts to look like shit is heading in a real skeevy direction.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #422243

Timbrewolf wrote:To put it another way:

Iterating that people don't have a right to know why other people have been banned
At the same time that you give everyone responsible for the bans power over the #1 vehicle for communication outside the game

You put these two things together and it starts to look like shit is heading in a real skeevy direction.
Are you really saying that admins announcing that people were banned doesn't look like preschool banter?

Its unprofessional and kinda shitty
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #422316

How do admins new to the staff or are currently being trained by others factor in? A large influx of new staff over the course of this and last year leave the question whether they will manage to slip into the new system, either aren't needed or if aren't retrained again under new guidelines could re-establish the problem.

Eitherway, the culture change is appreciated.

Spoiler:
shabang50
Byond Username: Shabang50

Post by shabang50 » #422367

What the fuck is all this it’s just a fucking game guys chill :honk:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #422387

As far as telling people someone got banned, it can help a lot in cases where someone is obviously griefing and then at round's end, when they're not antag, you get a flood of ahelps at round end and the beginning of the next round all going "HEY SO URIST MCDUMBFUCK TOOLBOXED ME TO DEATH AND 10 OTHER PEOPLE CAN YOU LOOK INTO THIS."

edit: basically what arianya said, but this happens all the time
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #422430

The not telling people you banned someone is halfbaked and I doubt it will get enforced with much enthusiasm by the admin team, it's quite common to let people know the griefer last round was banned so they know it was handled etc.

I mean we don't tell everyone the specifics but it's not uncommon.

Also the ban will be public when they appeal it anyway.

Merging the forum and admin teams is fine I guess, there was never a really active forum moderation team and our community clearly isn't big enough to support both.

Besides if people want to post without fear of the admins they know where they can go!
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #422439

although actually looking at the points timbre was making he makes good points, maybe we should still aim to have a neutral forum admin team

lord knows some of our admins like ausops are quick to abuse their forum powers on people they don't like
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #422474

Why wouldn't you communicate to a banned individual why they were banned? That's like a police officer throwing you in prison without telling you the reason or letting you appeal.

Am I just misunderstanding this but for example a blacklist ban like what happened to goof (with no prior warning or probation) would just pop up as "you were banned for x reason goodbye". Nobody would "be the wiser" but the admin team who banned him and people who "leak" information to the public would be punished?

In my mind if someone is banned for a reason you should tell them that reason and then allow them to appeal the issue on the forums. If this happened to begin with the whole recent incident would have never happened.

As far as making admins accountable for their actions on the forums, I'll believe it when I see it.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #422534

starmute wrote:Why wouldn't you communicate to a banned individual why they were banned? That's like a police officer throwing you in prison without telling you the reason or letting you appeal.
Reread the thread, he clearly states that admins shouldn't tell OTHERS if and/or why a person got banned .
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #422560

The problem is that our bluenames are all literally whos that have bursts of activity and then vanish for years. Make me one I am still shackled to this place after all these years
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #422677

Wyzack wrote:The problem is that our bluenames are all literally whos that have bursts of activity and then vanish for years. Make me one I am still shackled to this place after all these years
Wtf Wyzack....I thought we were better than this...
Freedom
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #422686

Wyzack wrote:The problem is that our bluenames are all literally whos that have bursts of activity and then vanish for years. Make me one I am still shackled to this place after all these years
Most of them but not all, I'm one (I just never wear the blue name) for example
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #422692

*unsheathes post count and teleprots behind u*

Heh, nothing personnel kid

Also I forgot about multi color names and my best pal stevo
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #422727

CosmicScientist wrote:
IF THIS LITERALLY WHO GETS ONE, I DEMAND ONE. pretty please your benevolence.

I HAVE +0.47 POSTS PER DAY UP ON WYZACK. and I have never ever abused power before.
Who are you?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #422742

That is the secret cosmic, I abused my power on behalf of the people who matter and that is why my ascent is assured
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #422878

Cosmic is a pretty cool guy he posts cards and doesn't afraid of anything
Spoiler:
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #422879

CosmicScientist wrote:I feel Wyzack has just tipped his hand. He is pure evil and now no-one can stop him. Though what to do with this information, well, do we have a mary sue hero who can save the day?
MrStonedOne wrote:Who are you?
>conflicted as to take this ironically or unironically
Spoiler:
15 issues reported in detail, no memes, some of critical importance

28 PRs of varying quality ranging from JUST DON'T LOOK, I'M FOREVER EMBARRASSED AT MISTAKES, to sprites, to memes, to finishing PKP's timestop code, to perhaps overzealously pushing for a role's removal, to trying to hard to change communication balance, to the dehydrated carp nuke ops memes that wound up a valid tactic, to grammar, to revisiting dehydrated carp code to fix my own mistakes when I was capable

>made this, realised a fault, the currently use version still has the fault of the dark line between the nuke op's legs
>never dived into the site's github to find out if I could edit the image there to not bother you

>active contributor to singulo even when no drama fuels it as to counterbalance the depression posts and lack of imageposting on an imageboard

Shitposters!

>reported various emoji/assorted special character issues with these forums

produced several newspapers to raise awareness of tgstation's elections in a goofy format that invited lack of srsness

boulder

random sawrge thing from years ago to show that I totally don't have deep ties in the sawrge conspiracy so don't worry, I'm on the right side, ;)

I play the game for fun, hence doing this in a gang round instead of breaking it and then demanding its removal:

I made a collage of almost everyone I can name or describe the character of back when I think the hut was the shack, ignore the continued sawrge appearances as there is no conspiracy here, nudge nudge:

The founding inspiration for Kor giving the Chaplain DEUS VULT armour

Proud tesla wrangler from a simpler time:

I have a referee who has known me most of the time I've played here and I think this best sums up their opinion of me:
another quote from said referee is in my signature

further referees are anyone from any of the quotes in my spoilers sig, none of them, including the slime above, authorised me to use them as referees so don't tell them!

I edited someone else's edit of you as my most recent glorification of your visage

I have existed since before Ned's logging of users and recall a time of a different forum.

I still have an antag token I don't want to spend because I don't want to forget Icepacks/Bryce Pax who gave me it.

I have no other notes of bad behaviour. Probably. I did IC in OOC once.
who are you?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #423696

I ask for nothing and deserve nothing.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #424025

I am personally of the opinion that there should be a separation of powers. A /tg/station trias politica, with the server, the forums and the codebase. If you want to make changes it should be to the checks and balances between them, rather than merging two branches of power into one.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #429765

[quote="MrStonedOne"
hornygranny wrote: This was so long ago not many people will remember, but we left goonstation because we wanted a place to play where we would all be treated fairly and transparently, rather than according to the whims of an admin team who didn't feel the need to justify their actions.
[/quote]
Interesting sentiment, but perhaps Horny 'Separation of Codebase and Serverbase is Absolute' Granny isn't the best spokesperson for it - one may even say they're worst person for it.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #429783

you're late
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #430281

this is racist tbh
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #430952

We should adopt a seniority system for forum mods. Clearly.

Firecage for headmod.
Ricotez wrote:I am personally of the opinion that there should be a separation of powers. A /tg/station trias politica, with the server, the forums and the codebase. If you want to make changes it should be to the checks and balances between them, rather than merging two branches of power into one.
We had that. It was shit and fell apart when the few people that cared left.

Why pretend that there's any separation between forum, code and server? In the time I've been playing we've been through three (four?) hosts, three forums, two code bases, literally endless drama and somehow the community has managed to stay together. There's people that don't even play the fucking spaceman game anymore but they're still here.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #440703

CosmicScientist wrote:Did this happen?
no lol
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #455555

MrStonedOne wrote: Its unprofessional and kinda shitty
This actually matters to you? Coulda fooled me with all the shitposting some of the staff around here does in serious topics. Seems like unprofessional and shitty is par for the course.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #455655

Zarniwoop wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote: Its unprofessional and kinda shitty
This actually matters to you? Coulda fooled me with all the shitposting some of the staff around here does in serious topics. Seems like unprofessional and shitty is par for the course.
t. shitpost
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #481719

MrStonedOne wrote:
Timbrewolf wrote:To put it another way:

Are you really saying that admins announcing that people were banned doesn't look like preschool banter?

Its unprofessional and kinda shitty
It should not be announced by an admin speaking in OOC, or any other way on the game server, that so-and-so got banned for this-and-that but I would be in favor of a banlog similiar to the one 4chan employs (for reference), except that the ckey of the banned account would be shown.
This eliminates any possible interpretation done by players in how the admin words it and there will be no ongoing lengthy discussion about it in OOC right after the ban. It's neutral and transparent for all sides, and if you don't wanna be put on the spot and have everybody know you got banned, then don't get banned.

It wouldn't need to be fancy, a sample could look like this:
CKEY - Reason - Duration - Admin
Terranaut - Maxcapped the escape shuttle as it was arriving on CentComm but before the round had ended due to lag, killing three others. Please be aware that rules are in effect until the round end message is displayed. - 1440 - Penterwast
Optionally the Round ID could be displayed aswell. Personally I can't think of a good use for the Round ID right now but I haven't been an admin for years so that doesn't mean anything.

Doing it this way also eliminates any and all hear-say and unrealiblity of second-hand information and enables a better base to discuss policy and handling with in the future. A banning admin is encouraged to give a clear and concise reason (more so than anyway). Furthermore it gives unexperienced admins an idea of how long a ban could be for a given action without them having to worry about being too lenient or too harsh when there's nobody around to ask.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]