Naming Policy Changes

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Moderator: In-Game Head Admins

User avatar
tinodrima7020
 
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby tinodrima7020 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:00 am #463367

Only if we get flavor text too



User avatar
Anuv
 
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:34 pm
Byond Username: Anuv

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Anuv » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:13 am #463376

Image
Image

User avatar
Karp
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Karp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:18 am #463377

Anuv wrote:snip

bad name and you should feel bad
Last edited by Karp on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby oranges » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:19 am #463378

Shadowflame909 wrote:
oranges wrote:What if I added a nickname field in prefs that shows up in your character description when you're examined?


Can we add backstories that show up when your character's examined?

https://pastebin.com/hFfYH2st

No
Image

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby iamgoofball » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:12 am #463412

oranges wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
oranges wrote:What if I added a nickname field in prefs that shows up in your character description when you're examined?


Can we add backstories that show up when your character's examined?

https://pastebin.com/hFfYH2st

No

[MENTAL STATUS]:Unstable,Autistic


it could of stopped there honestly

User avatar
sotvec
 
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:24 am
Byond Username: Sotvec

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby sotvec » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 am #463430

So does this mean Jell E. Donnit is no longer allowed? cause if so im FUCKED outta names amigo

User avatar
Bawhoppennn
Github User
 
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 pm
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Bawhoppennn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:50 am #463433

I have to reiterate my strong dislike for the fact the rules have been changed to be even more restrictive, and now will actually be enforced for the hard firstname-lastname rule. This disqualifies a large portion of Arabic and Indian naming schemes, both of which are very large population groups which would logically be present in the ss13's futuristic space setting.
Image
<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen

DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby NikNakFlak » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:31 am #463455

Nilons wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:I can't remember if it was nerv or ari but they said a name with "von" in it, as long as it's good faith, is allowed.

either youre misinformed somehow or they were lying, because I was told the direct opposite by nervere
btfo
NikNakFlak wrote:But Ostrava DeBoletaria or Ostrava VonBoletaria would probably be ok and that's what Vaina is arguing about

also the fact you're telling players to skirt policy and toe the line because its stupid means you should just not have it in the first place

I said probably also, I'm not telling you to toe the line because the policy is stupid, I'm telling you to toe the line because your name is stupid
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Steelpoint » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:07 am #463476

Nanotrasen only hires people of Western descent. Or at least fill in a Western sounding name on the employment form.
Image

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Grazyn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:17 am #463494

oranges wrote:What if I added a nickname field in prefs that shows up in your character description when you're examined?

Ostrava "of" Nanotrasen

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby iamgoofball » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 am #463495

Steelpoint wrote:Nanotrasen only hires people of Western descent. Or at least fill in a Western sounding name on the employment form.

Can I start asking people to prove they're not islamic at HoP?

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Malkraz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 am #463514

iamgoofball wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Nanotrasen only hires people of Western descent. Or at least fill in a Western sounding name on the employment form.

Can I start asking people to prove they're not islamic at HoP?

The fact that your line hasn't blown up should be enough
Franklin Khan says, " Well I know who I'm metagrudging from now on "
Istoprocent: You and Rock Steele definitely metabuddies, proving metacomms will take time but eventually people will figure it out.
Declan Cooper asks, " does rock steel have autism? "
Erik489: Malkraz, I gotta ask, and please be honest. Do you metacomm with Rock Steel?
Lumbermancer: also rock should be killed every round
Willy Willee says, " And he kept spam-tabling me, while his metafriend came over "
ATHATH: Rock Steel, I fucking hate you with a passion. I was alive on the station for less than a minute, you absolute cunt you CREMATING ASSHOLE I GENUINELY *HATE* YOU
Adam Karlsson says, " i just want rock " Shaun McFall says, " you know you'll get harshly punished for this right " Adam Karlsson says, " oh i know "

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby PKPenguin321 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:51 pm #463521

iamgoofball wrote:
oranges wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
oranges wrote:What if I added a nickname field in prefs that shows up in your character description when you're examined?


Can we add backstories that show up when your character's examined?

https://pastebin.com/hFfYH2st

No

[MENTAL STATUS]:Unstable,Autistic


it could of stopped there honestly

I saw this reply coming but laughed anyways
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

bobbahbrown
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:04 am
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby bobbahbrown » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:56 pm #463522

PKPenguin321 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
oranges wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
oranges wrote:What if I added a nickname field in prefs that shows up in your character description when you're examined?


Can we add backstories that show up when your character's examined?

https://pastebin.com/hFfYH2st

No

[MENTAL STATUS]:Unstable,Autistic


it could of stopped there honestly

I saw this reply coming but laughed anyways


I saw this reply coming but replied anyways

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby PKPenguin321 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 pm #463523

bobbahbrown wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
oranges wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
oranges wrote:What if I added a nickname field in prefs that shows up in your character description when you're examined?


Can we add backstories that show up when your character's examined?

https://pastebin.com/hFfYH2st

No

[MENTAL STATUS]:Unstable,Autistic


it could of stopped there honestly

I saw this reply coming but laughed anyways


I saw this reply coming but replied anyways

Same my ni*ga 😎
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Grazyn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:05 pm #463524

>examine someone
>client locks up from the amount of text in description

the future of /tg/

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: somewhere
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Qbmax32 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:10 pm #463525

Truly the darkest timeline
my admin feedback thread
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.

feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing

Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.

Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread

imsxz wrote:nervore

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me

Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....

Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby iamgoofball » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:39 pm #463530

I was just abused by a trial administrator in game for reporting character names that violated the specific policy set out in here. I'll be filing a complaint when the round is over.

Tell your trial mins to not fucking harass people for asking for clarification on if something is acceptable for your new fucking policy.

User avatar
Anuv
 
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:34 pm
Byond Username: Anuv

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Anuv » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:35 pm #463541

Grazyn wrote:>examine someone
>client locks up from the amount of text in description

the future of /tg/


>not min/maxing your powergame and flooding your description to crash all sec trying to see if your gun is real
Image

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: somewhere
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Qbmax32 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:39 pm #463543

Anuv wrote:
Grazyn wrote:>examine someone
>client locks up from the amount of text in description

the future of /tg/


>not min/maxing your powergame and flooding your description to crash all sec trying to see if your gun is real



The realest answer I’ve seen
my admin feedback thread
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.

feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing

Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.

Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread

imsxz wrote:nervore

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me

Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....

Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby confused rock » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:18 pm #463549

Brb adding muslim quirk that gives you burkha and make pork make sad
Image

User avatar
NoxVS
 
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby NoxVS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm #463551

To what extent does the leniency for wiz and clowns and such extend? Can you have OOC references in your name?

User avatar
Farquaar
 
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 am
Location: Somewhere north of Hogtown
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Farquaar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:58 pm #463553

confused rock wrote:Brb adding muslim quirk that gives you burkha and make pork make sad

First you’d have to add pork in the game fam

User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Head Admin
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Arianya » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:58 pm #463554

NoxVS wrote:To what extent does the leniency for wiz and clowns and such extend? Can you have OOC references in your name?


Theres an element of common sense in it for antagonists like the wizards or nuclear operatives. They're exempt from naming policy at large, but if your wizard name is "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" then don't be surprised if an admin renames you to something more normal and breaks your mirror.

OOC references is going to heavily depend on the specific reference and how it's being used. Even antagonists are still subject to OOC in IC and IC in OOC.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

User avatar
iksyp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:47 pm
Location: freedom land
Byond Username: Iksyp

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby iksyp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm #463560

how did you even do this
ignore this poster he has brain damage

User avatar
duckay
 
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm
Location: 25.3°N 91.7°E
Byond Username: Duckay

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby duckay » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:59 pm #463608

This doesn't change jackshit about before, because it still lies heavily on the admins definition of 'reasonable', only difference being that admins still have to apply it to Agent ID's, Clowns and Wizards only with more leniency, which will probably differ amongst the admins.

We arent Aurora stop implementing shit to encourage RP in a server that most of the time gets its best memes from the least RP moments.
something

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Vaina » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:29 pm #463619

duckay wrote:This doesn't change jackshit about before, because it still lies heavily on the admins definition of 'reasonable', only difference being that admins still have to apply it to Agent ID's, Clowns and Wizards only with more leniency, which will probably differ amongst the admins.

We arent Aurora stop implementing shit to encourage RP in a server that most of the time gets its best memes from the least RP moments.

Don't bother applying logic to the discourse; it'll get dismissed in a heartbeat.

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Ayy Lemoh » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 pm #463636

iamgoofball wrote:I was just abused by a trial administrator in game for reporting character names that violated the specific policy set out in here. I'll be filing a complaint when the round is over.

Tell your trial mins to not fucking harass people for asking for clarification on if something is acceptable for your new fucking policy.

Yeah, if IAmGoofball has this happen to him and not one of the other possible admemes on the time were like 'bro stop' then we have a big fucking issue.

IAmGoofball is not liked. He reports some people for reasons (probably to test the admin's reaction to said name policy if we're honest). He gets fucked with.

This kinda shows how fucking awful this policy is. If an admin doesn't like you and is unable to get over this or is a coward then he'll fuck with you by just going WEE WOO CHANGE YOUR NAME DUMBASS WEE WOO I AM THE LAW WEE WOO. If an admin doesn't like you and you report names then you'll probably be ignored because you're like fucking dirt to him. edit: this isn't to say coiax dislikes goof since I don't know if he does or not. It just seems like a possible sign of things that could happen.

edit 2:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:<snip>
[2018-12-20 13:28:18.346] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Lmwevil/(Thorium LXI)->Iamgoofball/(Patrick H. Etic-Weeb): hi it's lmwevil, i'll give the ckeys
<snip>
[2018-12-20 13:28:36.902] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Iamgoofball/(Patrick H. Etic-Weeb)->Lmwevil/(Thorium LXI): thanks, was it you or one of the trialmins, need to know who to address the complaint to
<snip>
[2018-12-20 13:28:51.670] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Lmwevil/(Thorium LXI)->Iamgoofball/(Patrick H. Etic-Weeb): wasn't me, i'm getting off actually, hold on let me check
<snip>
[2018-12-20 13:29:08.333] ADMINPRIVATE: ASAY: coiax/(Experiment 35b) "are you gonna sell us out" (Central Primary Hallway (88, 135, 2)) (Not very funny)
<snip>
[2018-12-20 13:29:23.185] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Iamgoofball/(Patrick H. Etic-Weeb)->Lmwevil/(Thorium LXI): alright because i&#39;m guessing this was Coiax going by his snarky shit-tier &#34;reply&#34; but I&#39;d like to not make assumptions
<snip>
[2018-12-20 13:29:28.466] ADMINPRIVATE: ASAY: Lmwevil/(Thorium LXI) "he can literally just look at the logs, plus not being open when someone asks" (Chapel (81, 69, 2))
<snip>
[2018-12-20 13:29:33.443] ADMINPRIVATE: ASAY: Lmwevil/(Thorium LXI) "is shitty" (Chapel (81, 69, 2)) (Only adult online apparently)
<snip>

Goof shouldn't be minimodding, but spam rejecting someones tickets without explaining why is not going to help anyone and people are just going to get angrier and angrier and then you smite them? The only place this trashfire was going to end up was the complaints forum.

Frankly the attitude of the online admins in asay was a little more dismissive than I'd like, but shout out to lmwevil for being an adult

personally I think the best part of the admin experience was when someone called for help and i fucked with them. whenever someone else goes "hi it's me john johnson lemme answer your ahelp instead now" then that just makes me annoyed. i always wondered how i was gonna prank the noobs when my dumbass admin friends wouldn't play along.

User avatar
DrunkenMatey
 
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:21 pm
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby DrunkenMatey » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 pm #463673

Does make me curious if anyone bring bad/borderline names to the attention of admins should expect similar treatment.

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby ghostecho » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:01 am #463735

I still don't see why we don't just do away with naming policy for the most part
I could make a simple one that'd do just fine, watch
1: No historical figure names (e.g., Karl Marx, Adolf Hitler, Julius Caeser, etc)
2: wackiness is allowed, but do not directly reference memes (T'khotalenuch Jellybutter, buy not Dan K. Meme)
3: Only one honorific and nickname allowed per name
Yeah sure its not a refined, perfect policy, but I imagine people would probably be happier overall
Let people have their fun with names, let them do wacky memey shit, sure have some restrictions, but don't try to act like we aren't a low roleplay station when we have greytiders uniting under GAMERS RISE UP, and conspirators whispering under hushed voices "So I've got this good meme for us to do..."

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Malkraz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:13 am #463745

ghostecho wrote:I still don't see why we don't just do away with naming policy for the most part
I could make a simple one that'd do just fine, watch
1: No historical figure names (e.g., Karl Marx, Adolf Hitler, Julius Caeser, etc)
2: wackiness is allowed, but do not directly reference memes (T'khotalenuch Jellybutter, buy not Dan K. Meme)
3: Only one honorific and nickname allowed per name
Yeah sure its not a refined, perfect policy, but I imagine people would probably be happier overall
Let people have their fun with names, let them do wacky memey shit, sure have some restrictions, but don't try to act like we aren't a low roleplay station when we have greytiders uniting under GAMERS RISE UP, and conspirators whispering under hushed voices "So I've got this good meme for us to do..."
Franklin Khan says, " Well I know who I'm metagrudging from now on "
Istoprocent: You and Rock Steele definitely metabuddies, proving metacomms will take time but eventually people will figure it out.
Declan Cooper asks, " does rock steel have autism? "
Erik489: Malkraz, I gotta ask, and please be honest. Do you metacomm with Rock Steel?
Lumbermancer: also rock should be killed every round
Willy Willee says, " And he kept spam-tabling me, while his metafriend came over "
ATHATH: Rock Steel, I fucking hate you with a passion. I was alive on the station for less than a minute, you absolute cunt you CREMATING ASSHOLE I GENUINELY *HATE* YOU
Adam Karlsson says, " i just want rock " Shaun McFall says, " you know you'll get harshly punished for this right " Adam Karlsson says, " oh i know "

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Steelpoint » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 am #463755

Just name your Wizard character your OOC name, nothing can go wrong.

Being serious, I would be disappointed if we ditched our naming policy for something even more loose. I like to pretend this is a low RP server although many people seem to act we should be a no RP server, and the naming policy is one of the only small silvers of sanity that try and act like we care about immersion to a minor degree.

Personally I've never supported even the memey names that some non-Humans use, I feel true whacky names should be reserved for the Clown, Mime and certain Antagonists like the Wizard.
Image

User avatar
Farquaar
 
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 am
Location: Somewhere north of Hogtown
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Farquaar » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:10 am #463767

Steelpoint wrote:Just name your Wizard character your OOC name, nothing can go wrong.

Being serious, I would be disappointed if we ditched our naming policy for something even more loose. I like to pretend this is a low RP server although many people seem to act we should be a no RP server, and the naming policy is one of the only small silvers of sanity that try and act like we care about immersion to a minor degree.

Personally I've never supported even the memey names that some non-Humans use, I feel true whacky names should be reserved for the Clown, Mime and certain Antagonists like the Wizard.

The metal man speaks the truth

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby ghostecho » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:04 am #463797

Steelpoint wrote:Just name your Wizard character your OOC name, nothing can go wrong.

Being serious, I would be disappointed if we ditched our naming policy for something even more loose. I like to pretend this is a low RP server although many people seem to act we should be a no RP server, and the naming policy is one of the only small silvers of sanity that try and act like we care about immersion to a minor degree.

Personally I've never supported even the memey names that some non-Humans use, I feel true whacky names should be reserved for the Clown, Mime and certain Antagonists like the Wizard.

This IS a low rp server, if we were norp then people wouldnt even be trying the mediocum they are already to be in character

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Steelpoint » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:11 am #463799

Low RP still implies some level of roleplay.

Having a somewhat realistic universe, with real sounding people and places, onboard a seemingly functional and realistic future space station, that then has to deal with the crazy and wacky shit that happens every round is what strikes me as amusing and fun.

Everyone running around with retarded names, antag hunting and acting one step below talking in OOC is not fun, interesting or engaging. At that point you may as well join the Antag Deathmatch server.
Image

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby ghostecho » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:39 am #463804

Steelpoint wrote:Low RP still implies some level of roleplay.

Having a somewhat realistic universe, with real sounding people and places, onboard a seemingly functional and realistic future space station, that then has to deal with the crazy and wacky shit that happens every round is what strikes me as amusing and fun.

Everyone running around with retarded names, antag hunting and acting one step below talking in OOC is not fun, interesting or engaging. At that point you may as well join the Antag Deathmatch server.

Yes, if we were norp then we'd see names like NIGGER BLASTER 9000 or Adolf Hitler 2 Electeic Boogaloo
Thats not what most people want from a less restrictive naming policy, we just want the ability to do shit like Janice 'Foxy' Lean or Randolph P. Checkers Esq, or Oldman Robustin(which is allowed now)

I see no good reason why on /tg/, we can't have that and the lrp status we currently have, and have had with those kinds of names allowed previously

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Steelpoint » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:34 am #463810

Nicknames are something that should be earned not stated in your name, why would an official company profile put someone's nickname in a official document?

Would Alan 'Robuster' Bentway be acceptable? Its the same quality as any other nickname.

Furthemore, titles like esquire are something I'd see in medieval UK not in the 26th century by some Cargo Technician.

Oldman Robustin at least follows the naming conventions as we see.
Image

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby ghostecho » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:55 am #463815

Steelpoint wrote:Nicknames are something that should be earned not stated in your name, why would an official company profile put someone's nickname in a official document?

Would Alan 'Robuster' Bentway be acceptable? Its the same quality as any other nickname.

Furthemore, titles like esquire are something I'd see in medieval UK not in the 26th century by some Cargo Technician.

Oldman Robustin at least follows the naming conventions as we see.


Your first point merely means a nickname field should be added that doesn't show up in records
And you clearly dont understand the usage of esquire if you think it would be "medieval UK"
And what kind of first name is Oldman, hm?

At the end of the day, I'm with the people who don't think it matters for the vast majority of players if someone is called Lady Ari, Oldman Robustin, Randolph P. Checkers Esq., Janice 'Foxy' Lean
They're not ruining immersion in a game where we have people shouting Viva just for fun as the tide, casually throwing their life away to suicide bomb a wizard, or charging headfirst against supposedly highly trained, and well armed nuclear operatives when they're merely an assistant or a medical doctor
If you can provide a good reason why all this should be allowed, but those names are a big enough issue as to why they shouldn't be allowed, Id like to hear it.
Like seriously, how does half the crew going to charge a red suited nukie with a desword and assault borg and two other nukies with LM6s, or a wizard with magic missile and fireball not break "immersion" more than someone having esquire in their name?

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Steelpoint » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:57 am #463819

Nicknames being a separate entity is a code issue, but until that is implemented (if at all) then I still nonetheless profess that Nicknames should stay out of your official name.

Esquire is a British thing, usually for upper class individuals or akin in a professional situation. Which is odd since Nanotrasen seems to take more of an American influence than British influence.

At the end of it however, its not the 'esquire' I have a issue with but the concept of an prefix or suffix in someone's name. Your name should just be FirstName LastName. Now that be Alan Bentway, George Seeman, Muhammad Hashim or whatever, and the names should be somewhat realistic or at least not completely on the nose.

Oldman Robustin is not on the nose, its tame. Chad Thunderock is very on the fucking nose.

Now, people suicidally charging Nuke Ops is not really a issue and is a waste of an argument. If anything I find it interesting when you have a crew of regular people doing outlandish things, which is at the core of SS13. Hearing that John Bradley the Janitor managed to outrobst a Nuke Op is far more amusing than hearing that Jane 'Foxy' Spread Esq did the same thing, and that now half the crew have a snowflake name with shitty titles, suffixes and nicknames that no one is going to use.

Keep it short, keep it simple and keep it sane. If you want a whacky name, play as the Clown.
Image

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby ghostecho » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 am #463820

Steelpoint wrote:Nicknames being a separate entity is a code issue, but until that is implemented (if at all) then I still nonetheless profess that Nicknames should stay out of your official name.

Esquire is a British thing, usually for upper class individuals or akin in a professional situation. Which is odd since Nanotrasen seems to take more of an American influence than British influence.

At the end of it however, its not the 'esquire' I have a issue with but the concept of an prefix or suffix in someone's name. Your name should just be FirstName LastName. Now that be Alan Bentway, George Seeman, Muhammad Hashim or whatever, and the names should be somewhat realistic or at least not completely on the nose.

Oldman Robustin is not on the nose, its tame. Chad Thunderock is very on the fucking nose.

Now, people suicidally charging Nuke Ops is not really a issue and is a waste of an argument. If anything I find it interesting when you have a crew of regular people doing outlandish things, which is at the core of SS13. Hearing that John Bradley the Janitor managed to outrobst a Nuke Op is far more amusing than hearing that Jane 'Foxy' Spread Esq did the same thing, and that now half the crew have a snowflake name with shitty titles, suffixes and nicknames that no one is going to use.

Keep it short, keep it simple and keep it sane. If you want a whacky name, play as the Clown.

You haven't answered my question
Can you or can you not tell me how the wacky shit the crew does is less "immersion breaking" than a name
And you're right, it isn't an issue because /tg/station isn't an autistic RP focused server like Bay.
So why the fuck do we care about names so much when the actions have way more effect on immersion

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Steelpoint » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:19 am #463828

This is the third time I'm stating this. I personally believe that a somewhat realistic crew setting, with authentic appearing people, in a authentic environment, suffering through horrible and amusing trials and tribulations involving whacky Wizards, cold Mercenaries and lurking Traitors is a more interesting experience.

Removing our naming policy as it stands and loosening it would, in my opinion, tarnish the game as a whole. As I've stated, I believe we are at minimum a lowRP server, that standard, despite being a low one, does imply some levels of roleplay and my belief is our naming policy is a cornerstone of that.
Image

User avatar
Floiven
 
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:20 pm
Byond Username: Brak7000

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Floiven » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:32 am #463831

Is there a way to separate the name shown in chat when someone talks and the name shown when you examine someone? By that I mean, "John Doe says: yadda yadda yadda", and when you examine them, you're reading their name off their ID, so "This is John "Hurr durr" Joe". Would make sense for titles and honorifics to be on the ID as well but not when someone's talking, kinda.

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby NikNakFlak » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:00 pm #463832

Like seriously, how does half the crew going to charge a red suited nukie with a desword and assault borg and two other nukies with LM6s, or a wizard with magic missile and fireball not break "immersion" more than someone having esquire in their name?

in what way is this immersion breaking wtf
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: somewhere
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Qbmax32 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:07 pm #463840

Yeah what are you okay steelpoint
my admin feedback thread
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.

feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing

Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.

Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread

imsxz wrote:nervore

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me

Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....

Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs

somerandomguy
 
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby somerandomguy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:51 pm #463853

NikNakFlak wrote:
Like seriously, how does half the crew going to charge a red suited nukie with a desword and assault borg and two other nukies with LM6s, or a wizard with magic missile and fireball not break "immersion" more than someone having esquire in their name?

in what way is this immersion breaking wtf

Ghostecho is probably secretly an aurora admin

User avatar
Nilons
 
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Nilons » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:21 pm #463872

Steelpoint wrote:This is the third time I'm stating this. I personally believe that a somewhat realistic crew setting, with authentic appearing people, in a authentic environment, suffering through horrible and amusing trials and tribulations involving whacky Wizards, cold Mercenaries and lurking Traitors is a more interesting experience.

Removing our naming policy as it stands and loosening it would, in my opinion, tarnish the game as a whole. As I've stated, I believe we are at minimum a lowRP server, that standard, despite being a low one, does imply some levels of roleplay and my belief is our naming policy is a cornerstone of that.

Sounds like you want med rp
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEVd4c1SV2g
Image
Image

User avatar
duckay
 
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm
Location: 25.3°N 91.7°E
Byond Username: Duckay

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby duckay » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:42 pm #463897

I'm more concerned about the shit nuke ops and traitors will get for naming themselves 'GibX Operative #1' or something similar.
Because y'know, Agent ID's aren't out of the question.
something

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Space outside the Brig
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:27 am #464004

duckay wrote:I'm more concerned about the shit nuke ops and traitors will get for naming themselves 'GibX Operative #1' or something similar.
Because y'know, Agent ID's aren't out of the question.


I guess you’ll have to trust that the future headmins wont admin a literal potato because that’s like saying “I’m afraid the admins will confuse my ckey for my characters name and ban me for it”
Image
Still, my support will always go towards the rightful Lord of Yurop, God-Emperor Donald Trump the Trumpst. Trumpingrad for life. He'll make an indiscriminate number of countries great again.


Deadcomic

User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby wesoda25 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:36 am #464040

Ghostechoes suggested policy was so ideal I just switched sides.

Also Steelpoint just as long as we don’t allow blatantly stupid or OOC names we will maintain our rp level. Tg is most definitely not no rp, not by any standards. Go visit Hippie for a week and you’ll understand what no rp means.
Chandler Bing says, "How r you"

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Unread postby ghostecho » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:42 am #464048

Steelpoint wrote:This is the third time I'm stating this. I personally believe that a somewhat realistic crew setting, with authentic appearing people, in a authentic environment, suffering through horrible and amusing trials and tribulations involving whacky Wizards, cold Mercenaries and lurking Traitors is a more interesting experience.

Removing our naming policy as it stands and loosening it would, in my opinion, tarnish the game as a whole. As I've stated, I believe we are at minimum a lowRP server, that standard, despite being a low one, does imply some levels of roleplay and my belief is our naming policy is a cornerstone of that.

But you haven't explained WHY that would "tarnish" it more than the current way people act and react to situations currently tarnishes it from being a medrp or highrp server

And keep in mind, Im not advocating for either of those two rpstyles, I like the lowrp style of /tg/, I just fail to see how having a looser, but not non existent naming policy would tarnish anything more than players currently do

PreviousNext

Return to Town Hall

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests