Re-Work of the Portable Chemical Mixer

A place to record your ideas for the game.
LordVollkorn
Byond Username: Flocool

Re-Work of the Portable Chemical Mixer

Post by LordVollkorn » #583047

A long time ago I submitted the Portable Chemical Mixer (originally Portable Chemical Dispenser) to github and this Forum. After some good feedback and a few changes, it was merged.
It looks like this, can be printed at the medical lathe and the original need for an anomaly core has been removed after a poll.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/51964

Since then some time has passed and so far it did not seem to cause a lot of mayhem.
And while I still think this item is very future-proof to any changes to the chemistry system, I still have this feeling that it should get the chance to do what it was originally intended to do.

So I would like to pick up an idea that somebody has suggested once, and ask what you think about it:
The item would work the same as it does right now, but: If you still add an anomaly core to it, then you get a fully functioning portable dispenser that works like a normal chemical dispenser (Actually generating its own chemicals)

What are your thoughts on this?
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Re: Re-Work of the Portable Chemical Mixer

Post by thehogshotgun » #583052

Very good idea, I like
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #583055

baroque sprite
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #583056

just make the pr?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #583075

it goes against where we want chems to go, which is not to come out of magic machines but actually be produced/stored and brought in from the outside world or converted from materials
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Post by thehogshotgun » #583084

oranges wrote:it goes against where we want chems to go, which is not to come out of magic machines but actually be produced/stored and brought in from the outside world or converted from materials
That is stupid tedium
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #583089

okay arcade player
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #583093

oranges wrote:it goes against where we want chems to go, which is not to come out of magic machines but actually be produced/stored and brought in from the outside world or converted from materials
Agreeing with orange man.

Just walking around with a magic pot of "yep I can just summon heal chem I want wherever I go out of the ether" is nonsense

Infinite lexorin supply for antags.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #583100

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Agreeing with orange man.

Just walking around with a magic pot of "yep I can just summon heal chem I want wherever I go out of the ether" is nonsense

Infinite lexorin supply for antags.
Except that lexorin DOES need outside materials - it needs plasma and not as a catalyst, but as a reagent. You could not possibly have picked a worse example.

Just remove the ability to record recipes from it so you actually have to take time and work to get chems instead of pressing a single button for shit on tap. Should also have a limited energy supply and not self recharge - you should have to swap the cell or charge it like a defibrillator.
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #583101

Our plans are to remove the magical chem dispenser in lieu of something like a chem silo plus chembotany as an example.

The current state of the chem belt is actually the ideal end scenario. To change it to magical reagent generator would be a reversion and go against intended future plans.

Your chem belt is the future of chemistry.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
LordVollkorn
Byond Username: Flocool

Post by LordVollkorn » #583190

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:just make the pr?
I did not want to invest that kind of effort until we had this more or less sorted out here. In my first PR (the chem mixer) that was the first lesson I learned
Timberpoes wrote:The current state of the chem belt is actually the ideal end scenario. To change it to magical reagent generator would be a reversion and go against intended future plans.
I can understand that as admins you have a more long-term view on things (steady stream of new players, departmental interdependence etc.) and since you have been doing this for far longer than me (and with more effort), I think I can see your viewpoint.
I mean, still, I would love to have this mechanic in the game, but if it will be patched out with a chemistry update, there wouldn't be any reason to have it anyway.

Thanks for the replies yo ✌