Raising the bar on requirements

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Saege Tilth
Byond Username: Ulrichenstein

Raising the bar on requirements

Post by Saege Tilth » #595484

I'm in medbay as captain of the entire station dying and there's maybe five people who need medical attention, but one doctor. I noticed there was another medical doctor on the floor dying. Had the medical doctor fixed them up after me, there would be two medical doctors to fix everybody up, but instead, they literally went through all four of the others and by the time they made it to the other doctor, they weren't revivable anymore. There was no sense of priority other than "save the captain first", which I still didn't entirely agree with because I'm just able to call the shuttle and have people executed (like a boss). Another thing is that most doctors don't know to unbuckle people from stasis. In chemistry, there's a tutorial built into one of the machines on how acid and basic buffers work. This made me think that these same standards could be used in the holodeck for training. Another thing came to my attention, which is the fact that the game stat tracks players on how many times they beat bosses on lavaland. This gave me an idea, which is that you could stat track players on completion of various holodeck training courses. These stats can then be used to allow players to get behind the "wait timer" wall of playing a certain rank and to actually allow the player to have the skills they need before playing as that role.

Here is how it would be executed.

Players who unlocked a head of staff position will be able to make suggestions about specific skills players should have in order to play that role. When a specific role has its standards created, for example, players who play the head of security will suggest very specific skills for security officers, then the wait timer for the role will be replaced with an achievement requirement you can only get from the holodeck. If the holodeck explodes, then you can't get it, obviously. Once all achievements are met for a certain role, then the player gets to play that role. The standards are basic and advanced, in which players who just want to play security officer will only need the basic requirements in skills depending on what head of security players think. This turns playing roles into a technocracy without being a dictatorship, as anybody can unlock captain obviously. If a player wants to play the head of security, then they need basic skill requirements for that role. If a player wants to play captain, then they need skills for playing the captain in which captain players don't get to choose, but instead admins get to choose.

If this was to be a thing, then there would also be the option for players to argue about what "advanced" skills for specific roles should be, such as atmospheric technicians assembling the HFR, making hot ice by using specific techniques, making bz, ect. This doesn't mean players can't play as they've always been playing, however this would teach many players who can't learn on their own and don't want to read the wiki or anything, how to play the damn game.
usnpeepoo
Byond Username: Usnpeepoo

Re: Raising the bar on requirements

Post by usnpeepoo » #595632

can you make a tldr i dont want to read all of this sorry if i sound hostile or something
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #595661

i kind of read it and it sounds super gatekeepy and heavy handed and more a way to block noobs who want to get better than anything else

can you make it shorter please
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #595683

Incompetent crewmates is part of the fun
► Show Spoiler
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #595687

Farquaar wrote:Incompetent crewmates is part of the fun
This. There is not a single role you can't work around. With MAYBE the exception of a captain who doesn't pick up the disk during ops.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #595704

CPTANT wrote:
This. There is not a single role you can't work around. With MAYBE the exception of a captain who doesn't pick up the disk during ops.
Sleep Tight Disky :disk:
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #595712

It makes the game, really. If everyone was perfect things would just get boring after you've done all the content.
Hugs
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #595720

"nooooo you cant play medical doctor until you learn how to play medical doctor"
mhm and how are they supposed to learn without practice

Moving away from the cynicism, 9 times out of 10 medbay is understaffed to begin with. I would rather have an absolute noob to help teach med basics to than nobody there, so long as said beginner at least comes with the attitude of wanting to learn instead of screeching like an autistic manchild and pushing me into the glass tables for having wings and antennae. Given that I play sybil, the autistic manchildren are like a 15% rate but honestly I've learned to ignore those odds.

TL;DR I would rather have a complete beginner than nobody at all. They're not going to learn to be a competent medical doctor if they don't get at least a dozen rounds as an incompetent medical doctor either. Everyone has to learn, and I think that making what's essentially a "ree they didn't heal people how I wanted them to when I'm not playing as the job that heals people" post after someone decided to heal your ass first is remarkably rude to those still trying to learn.

On the ODD chance that medbay is completely staffed and someone who's a competent medical doctor did not manage to get the medical doctor job, they can either ask the HoP for a job change, or even just wander into medical and act like a medical doctor despite not actually being one. (this probably doesn't work on manuel but hey I think that claiming that I'm a part-time bartender to pay off my medical school bills should totally work as reasoning for why I'm a competent MD despite mixing drinks for a paycheck.)
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #595728

Omega_DarkPotato wrote:"nooooo you cant play medical doctor until you learn how to play medical doctor"
It seems like you didn't even read the op.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #595764

MrStonedOne wrote:
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:"nooooo you cant play medical doctor until you learn how to play medical doctor"
It seems like you didn't even read the op.
My take on it is if you're going to make a holodeck practice sim why not just have them actually play MD - see the thing about medbay being usually understaffed.
forgot to include that in my first response.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!