10+ minute brig sentences

Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

10+ minute brig sentences

Post by Fikou » #630042

from the security policy part of the rules
"For arrested players, timed sentences up to a total of 10 minutes, buckle-cuffing, and stripping, are considered IC issues and are not actionable by admins. Brig sentences totaling more than 10 minutes can be adminhelped"
i think that this isnt clear in who it applies to, is it only security? is it all crew? all players? does it apply to people you can validly kill?
and also, is it always actionable if it happens or only sometimes?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: 10+ minute brig sentences

Post by iamgoofball » #630043

i believe the spirit of the rule is to block unjust briggings for 30 minutes because 30 minutes in the AFK box sucks absolute ass
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #630048

Fikou wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:32 pm from the security policy part of the rules
"For arrested players, timed sentences up to a total of 10 minutes, buckle-cuffing, and stripping, are considered IC issues and are not actionable by admins. Brig sentences totaling more than 10 minutes can be adminhelped"
i think that this isnt clear in who it applies to, is it only security? is it all crew? all players? does it apply to people you can validly kill?
and also, is it always actionable if it happens or only sometimes?
Can be adminhelped =/= actionable.
Admins would still have to investigate if the long brigging is unjustified for it to be considered actionable. (basically the incident leading up to the brigging)
The rule is on whoever decides the time for brigging.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #630050

it applies to arrested players as the rule would imply (bar maybe rule 4).

It's there to protect security from getting into a ahelp match literally everytime they make arrests, with that in mind the rule tells them that protection is gone >10 minutes so they should expect ahelps (not necessarily because theyre in the wrong) after this point.

The answer is only sometimes because some people deserve 10+ minute timeout for being a shit.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #630052

Like all things in life it really depends on context.

Sentences under 10 minutes are just IC. You don't want security being shit scared of being bwoinked every time they arrest someone for any actual or perceived incident.

Sentences over 10 minutes/perma sentences are just when an arbitrary line is drawn and the sentence is capable of being ahelped because it may be (or be approaching) a rule break.

Why can it not be codified into a hard and fast rule? For every scenario you can imagine, our players can play out two completely different scenarios that invoke the spirit and letter of the ruling differently.

When and where it applies? My approach is that if a player is acting as security, they'll be held to the standards of security.

Why? Why should we hold security to some higher standard if they could do the same job with none of the policy and restrictions by signing up as assistant or paramedic or geneticist? Makes no sense.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #630093

I think it's a very important distinction between "can be adminhelped" and "is simply not allowed". One that is very context dependent. If someone's doing a 15 minute over something as minor as stealing a water tank from botany? That's an issue. If someone's doing a 15 minute because they need the person to be held until the Captain or HoS can authorize execution, or they caused enough/major issues warranting it? It should be allowed.

But as was mentioned in that appeal thread that inspired this one; What's the difference between slapping him in there with a high timer, and finding a room to bolt them in while he waits for Security? Context has to matter, otherwise you're punishing people for going about the situation *properly*.
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #630098

Invalid arrest = not allowed regardless of sentence length
Valid arrest = can be over ten minutes with decent justification
guy stole clowns shoes = shouldn't be in brig for 15 minutes
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #630105

Well now I have another question. Does this rule apply to everyone, even antags? Antags infiltrating sec and putting people in the afk box for the entire round seems possible but very unfun.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #630111

I mean you can ahelp it but I’m not going to do anything because they’re an antag assuming LRP (GBJing fnr on Manuel seems unbefitting a la kill policy”
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #630117

"For arrested players[...]"

The rule is in sec policy so it applies to security. Other players don't have business brigging people, so if they're not deputized and they brig someone for 10 minutes on a wrongful accusation then that'd probably be actionable is my guess, whereas a sec player's metaprotections would make it an IC issue so long as they were acting with good intentions.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #630118

Yeah. Invalid, I assume, means "obviously groundless or without even the most basic due diligence by a real security member (or someone acting as such)," rather than things that might appear legit to the officer but be based on fucky information (someone gives you the wrong name accidentally, traitor impersonation of an officer/witness/perpetrator, false reports, etc.)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #630137

Shadowflame909 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:36 am Well now I have another question. Does this rule apply to everyone, even antags? Antags infiltrating sec and putting people in the afk box for the entire round seems possible but very unfun.
It's not any different to round removal so no. Gulagging half the station is a valid and funny meme as antag.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #632580

Security standards can be applied to anyone acting as security, not just roundstart security officers.

10+ minute brig sentences are ahelpable, but may not be strictly actionable. However, if you are in a position as a brigging officer where you think a 10+ minute sentence is reasonable, consider alternatives such as using the labour camp or having the arrested party spend their timed sentence in the permabrig.

Headmin Votes:
Dragomagol: Agree
NamelessFairy: Agree
RaveRadbury: Agree
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: