Destroying the brain combat meta

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Destroying the brain combat meta

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644252

A feature once intended to incentivize roboticists to do the surgery instead of skipping it. Is now commonly being used as a way to prevent revival, (by the time they find you your organs will be decayed + they gotta put all new organs into your head too. + fix your brain. So its usually just ignored)

Should it stick? Should it be changed so it keeps its intended purpose but is no longer viable in combat?

I think temporarily getting blinded from blood splatter would be a good way to disincentivize needlessly perma-deathing other players. After you've already turned them horizontal.
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Destroying the brain combat meta

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #644263

You are right, we should have the potential for decapitation during combat rather than after the fact. It would be infinitely more badass. When's the last time you killed someone by cutting their head off? It was probably through something lame like surgery (still cool honestly)
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #644400

There was a time when you could insta-decap/disembowel people. Sometimes it was in between ticks so you would stumble forward for a bit before instantly dying. Freaky as hell.

You don't want that back it really sucked to be on the receiving end of it.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #644401

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:44 pm There was a time when you could insta-decap/disembowel people. Sometimes it was in between ticks so you would stumble forward for a bit before instantly dying. Freaky as hell.

super brutal and atmospheric if life on ss13 wasn't so precious
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #644477

It'd be better if we could agree on a hyper lethal combat in general. If things were just straight up rocket tag, where even lasers and bullets and most lethal weapons could absolutely murderize you anyway, it'd be really damn thematic. But we're in an awkward inbetween state and a general trend towards being more permissive with how long it takes to kill people due to wanting a competitive edge to combat.

It's why so many people view the era of parasting and tasers with glee. There was a kind of cheapness to life that made people really appreciate that state of the game.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #644478

Disagree. I think round removal sometimes has justification. Like if you’re trying to be a stealthy traitor and get an assassination objective - you ought to hide the body so you don’t get outted right after they’re revived. Or even if you're just a lone murderboner on highpop and need to delete security's numbers without having them pop back up every few minutes to harass you.

It’s okay to die and even to get removed from the round in my opinion, there will be a new round in 20 minutes or so anyway. Same reason I think the heretic sac auto-reviving you is silly. It's really not that big of a deal to die and not be able to play for a bit, it's part of the game. Whole reason cloning was removed was so death could have consequences, but if people don't actually care much if they die because they'll probably get revived soon anyway that takes away from the roleplay.
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644479

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:04 am Disagree. I think round removal sometimes has justification. Like if you’re trying to be a stealthy traitor and get an assassination objective - you ought to hide the body so you don’t get outted right after they’re revived. Or even if you're just a lone murderboner on highpop and need to delete security's numbers without having them pop back up every few minutes to harass you.

It’s okay to die and even to get removed from the round in my opinion, there will be a new round in 20 minutes or so anyway. Same reason I think the heretic sac auto-reviving you is silly. It's really not that big of a deal to die and not be able to play for a bit, it's part of the game. Whole reason cloning was removed was so death could have consequences, but if people don't actually care much if they die because they'll probably get revived soon anyway that takes away from the roleplay.
Yeah but I mean they're already dead, horizontal round removed. Beheading adds an extra surgery they have to do, and de-braining adds several more surgeries they have to do.

It's beyond cruelty at that point, and with how many people antags down there's no chance of revival for said players.

Turning people horizontal and even beheading is fine. But post-combat debraining feels like someone's just bloodlusty. Adding a longer timer to it, or increasing failure chance would make people end it a step prior with them already making revival difficult.
► Show Spoiler
massa

Post by massa » #644487

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:29 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:04 am Disagree. I think round removal sometimes has justification. Like if you’re trying to be a stealthy traitor and get an assassination objective - you ought to hide the body so you don’t get outted right after they’re revived. Or even if you're just a lone murderboner on highpop and need to delete security's numbers without having them pop back up every few minutes to harass you.

Yeah but I mean they're already dead, horizontal round removed. Beheading adds an extra surgery they have to do, and de-braining adds several more surgeries they have to do.

It's beyond cruelty at that point, and with how many people antags down there's no chance of revival for said players.

Turning people horizontal and even beheading is fine. But post-combat debraining feels like someone's just bloodlusty. Adding a longer timer to it, or increasing failure chance would make people end it a step prior with them already making revival difficult.
If I want to ensure you are not revived, there are a million ways.

Back in in my fucking day there was no such thing as "round removing", it was called dying. For some reason people EXPECT to be surgeried and revived.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644489

massa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:07 pm Back in in my fucking day there was no such thing as "round removing", it was called dying. For some reason people EXPECT to be surgeried and revived.
>He doesnt remember cloning and the auto-scan upgrade that'd auto revive you as soon as you'd die

Revival was a lot easier two years ago. Supremely so during taser combat

This "I win you die forever get out of my sight" meta is fairly recent from post-cloning /tg/station
► Show Spoiler
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #644491

what is brain combat
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644492

iamgoofball wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:31 pm what is brain combat
just my way of describing the step people take after murdering someone with a sharp weapon like an e-sword or a spear because its so easy.

>Turn Horizontal. >Attack some more until their head pops off. >Attack their head until their brain (gets damaged by this), eyeballs, and ears pop out.

Add 10 minutes of no one finding your body because antag is killing more people/did it in an undisclosed location and now you have a VERY hard to revive fella.

Even if it is found easy and all the organs are still reusable. They still gotta heal your brain with mannitol and pop all the organs back in.
► Show Spoiler
massa

Post by massa » #644493

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:13 pm
massa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:07 pm Back in in my fucking day there was no such thing as "round removing", it was called dying. For some reason people EXPECT to be surgeried and revived.
>He doesnt remember cloning and the auto-scan upgrade that'd auto revive you as soon as you'd die

Revival was a lot easier two years ago. Supremely so during taser combat

This "I win you die forever get out of my sight" meta is fairly recent from post-cloning /tg/station
dude the cloner got removed because it was so frequently and constantly bombed that medbay was unusable that's how critical it is to ensure people stay dead. they rat. when i get sloppy with a kill they rat. also, dead sacs need to stay dead too.

We all hated the cloner because it was bullshit. And for the reason it was bullshit, I ensure my victims do not come back for the brief 20 minutes they sit the round out.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #644523

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:44 pm There was a time when you could insta-decap/disembowel people. Sometimes it was in between ticks so you would stumble forward for a bit before instantly dying. Freaky as hell.

You are 100% wrong thats badass
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644527

It's significantly cooler to have your limb or head come off to an unlucky swing or two than to have some dude hacking at your neck for 30 seconds to decapitate you, then spill your brains.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #645278

This meta also cucks cult by making the revival rune not work

Maybe the issue is surgery is just too long.

Then again I was using makeshift toolbox tools.
► Show Spoiler
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #645295

I don't think people realize how easy it is to restore a brain if you got a body for it. If the round is quiet enough to let me I try to keep one on hand full of cybernetics just incase I get a husk just to skip the synthflesh mess.
Image Image
celularLAmp
Byond Username: Celulamp

Post by celularLAmp » #645539

massa wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:14 pm

super brutal and atmospheric if life on ss13 wasn't so precious
The real issue is that you don't really require other players to play the game

also because md players are braindead most of the time

they don't know how to fix brain damage or blood loss so they'll revive you and then be confused while you died instantly after revival and then just send you to robotics.

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:20 pm This meta also cucks cult by making the revival rune not work

Maybe the issue is surgery is just too long.

Then again I was using makeshift toolbox tools.

People never ever use the sterlizine or other stuff to make surgery go faster/better for some reason

also the real issue with cult is that all of their weapons are insane bloodloss and even if you get converted you'll die of bloodloss and iirc revive rune doesn't remove wounds?? correct me if im wrong on that but it does heal your blood levels. The crystals also don't so you'll just die of blood loss in the base because they converted you after stabbing you five times.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #645887

Im so peeved at this meta because of all the work that stacks up for MD's and Roboticists when its so easy to debrain is crazy

So heres what im thinking of (bountying)

1. Ghetto Brain-Removal (How nearly everyone debrains people instead of doing the surgery) now has a 25% chance of success. So it can still be used in a pinch, but it no longer feels like a combat overkill combo.

2. Heads have a lot of blood. So when you decide to crush someones skull and pop out all their head-organs, that blood sprays on you like a spray-can to the face effect/cream pie effect. So your temporarily blinded by bloody juices and gain the confusion effect for 10 seconds. (So pretty much just the red-spray can effect but we pretend thats blood.)

Simply killing already requires immediate revival or else they have to replace the rotted organs. Beheading adds an extra-step and is still cool for combat flair so that wont be touched. But de-braining post-combat is annoying overkill that was never intended to be used as a method of the murder gameplay loop. It was intended to prevent roboticists from skipping borging surgery by simply beheading.
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #645889

25% chance of success? What does failure do?
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #645891

san7890 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:29 am 25% chance of success? What does failure do?
nothing you just gotta manually redo the surgery over again. To satiate your round removing blood lust

Considering its one of those surgery steps you can spam 10 times..maybe forcing it to only be done once at a time would be good too.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #645959

celularLAmp wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:45 pm People never ever use the sterlizine or other stuff to make surgery go faster/better for some reason

also the real issue with cult is that all of their weapons are insane bloodloss and even if you get converted you'll die of bloodloss and iirc revive rune doesn't remove wounds?? correct me if im wrong on that but it does heal your blood levels. The crystals also don't so you'll just die of blood loss in the base because they converted you after stabbing you five times.
It's typically slower to acquire sterilizine than to just power through it and most chemists would rather make meth

And yeah I love watching cultists stab a dude into crit, convert them, and then let the person go to 0% blood. its my favorite thing for very good and cool cult rounds
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #645966

It got removed for being too fun
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #645997

I distinctly remember one time fighting Brick Carr in a joust. He had a desword, and I had a baton. I smacked him with the baton as he smacked me with the desword, I stunned him and he disemboweled me. A 25% chance to hit him, about a 10% chance to disembowel me on a single blow. And he still wins in the end.

As a friend of mine recently said. "The die has many faces, most of them laugh."