Headmin Election 16 Discussion Thread

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Headmin Election 16 Discussion Thread

Post by dragomagol » #649587

AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Headmin Election 16 Discussion Thread

Post by san7890 » #649696

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:37 pm pacifism bans will be the hot thing for a week until some shitter realizes they can just release plasma or space the station to get around it and then nobody will ever use them again
Delaminates ur supermatter :flushed:
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649700

Its crazy to think that I've been playing for a longer period of time for the majority of these headmin runners. I sure as hell don't feel qualified, so how do any of these people?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #649701

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:12 pm Its crazy to think that I've been playing for a longer period of time for the majority of these headmin runners. I sure as hell don't feel qualified, so how do any of these people?
Why do you not feel qualified?
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649702

san7890 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:14 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:12 pm Its crazy to think that I've been playing for a longer period of time for the majority of these headmin runners. I sure as hell don't feel qualified, so how do any of these people?
Why do you not feel qualified?
Not enough administration experience mostly. It starts and ends with being a moderator in an SCP:SL server for about a month.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #649703

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:18 pm -snip-

Not enough administration experience mostly. It starts and ends with being a moderator in an SCP:SL server for about a month.
Then perhaps others feel more confident in their administrative experience. Being a “good” admin is not based on your join date (assuming they’re at Game Admin for the sake of this argument), it’s how you apply yourself and direct the server while you captain that ship.

Just a small thought I personally hold.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649705

san7890 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:22 pm
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:18 pm -snip-

Then perhaps others feel more confident in their administrative experience. Being a “good” admin is not based on your join date (assuming they’re at Game Admin for the sake of this argument), it’s how you apply yourself and direct the server while you captain that ship.

Just a small thought I personally hold.
No you're right. Three years is plenty enough, its just not a confidence I hold.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #649709

So I went and checked because I was actually interested - you have less time than every single one of these headmin runners on the servers. You might've started earlier, but even matching up against me you're at half connections and time. Disregarding time entirely, there's folks with less hours than I have ingame who've done more, and players with more hours ingame than I have that are permabanned for being shitters. At some point, time slips away from being a perfect judge of quality or capability - and I think that everyone who's staff currently has passed that point.

Second, I feel qualified because I'm able to defend my arguments to a reasonable degree, and I can see that what I've done has a positive impact. There's definitely headmin candidates that are better than I am at certain things, but in terms of training, I'd like to think that I can bring about real, positive change that has a significant chance to improve the quality of the servers and administration. There's trainers who've gotten more candidates, and there's trainers who've been trainers for longer, but they're not running, and they're not championing my ideals of a more positive relationship between trainers and potential candidates.
If nobody else's going to do it, I'll step up to the plate, because I'm certain that what I'm doing will help the community going forward.
TL;DR: Qualification through capability and (also) necessity.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #649710

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:48 pm
So I went and checked because I was actually interested - you have less time than every single one of these headmin runners on the servers. You might've started earlier, but even matching up against me you're at half connections and time. Disregarding time entirely, there's folks with less hours than I have ingame who've done more, and players with more hours ingame than I have that are permabanned for being shitters. At some point, time slips away from being a perfect judge of quality or capability - and I think that everyone who's staff currently has passed that point.

Second, I feel qualified because I'm able to defend my arguments to a reasonable degree, and I can see that what I've done has a positive impact. There's definitely headmin candidates that are better than I am at certain things, but in terms of training, I'd like to think that I can bring about real, positive change that has a significant chance to improve the quality of the servers and administration. There's trainers who've gotten more candidates, and there's trainers who've been trainers for longer, but they're not running, and they're not championing my ideals of a more positive relationship between trainers and potential candidates.
If nobody else's going to do it, I'll step up to the plate, because I'm certain that what I'm doing will help the community going forward.
TL;DR: Qualification through capability and (also) necessity.
I started with the c-key mulligain2, which I since lost the password to, in 2018. I have an additional 500 living hours on that account. I don't think my current account is older than any of the runners this term. I agree with you though, there is a reason your running and I'm not.
Last edited by Itseasytosee2me on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #649711

Which headmin candidates are bad enough dudes to free Purged Silicons to do anything they want, full antag status, no mercy?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #649714

As long as purged silicons are antag-exclusive they should get antag-exclusive rights.
Purged used to be available to non antags, and thus needed to be kept in line - you're no longer allowed to purge an AI for no reason as a nonantagonist (or keep it purged) and so it makes sense to just make it into "do whatever you want" mode.
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #649717

If I win we will ride our hogs up the stairs of the 1vory tower.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/69248
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #649718

Can we just force timber to be headmin again?
Image Image
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #649732

Boot wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:04 pm Can we just force timber to be headmin again?
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #649741

kieth4 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:59 pm If I win we will ride our hogs up the stairs of the 1vory tower.

Isn’t there a rule against bribe coding?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #649742

san7890 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:16 am
kieth4 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:59 pm If I win we will ride our hogs up the stairs of the 1vory tower.

Pretty sure this is just a joke about riding animals into admin land like it's a royal horse and buggy. Not a bribe.
Hugs
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #649744

Misdoubtful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:51 am

Pretty sure this is just a joke about riding animals into admin land like it's a royal horse and buggy. Not a bribe.
Fair enough- the wording was concerning so I wanted to point it out
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #649745

san7890 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:54 am

That being said for the pr, choosing to label the meat as pork STEAKS and not pork CHOPS is a big swing and a miss.
Hugs
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #649753

Misdoubtful wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:56 am

That being said for the pr, choosing to label the meat as pork STEAKS and not pork CHOPS is a big swing and a miss.
HEY- TO BE FAIR I FORGOT PORK CHOPS EXISTED. IN THE ORIGINAL PR THAT I PORTED THEY WERE NAMED "PIG MEAT" SO I'VE MAD PROGRESS 'AIGHT?
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #649754

It was a joke, aye. There is no bribe here. I am adding pigs so I can do a hog rider gimmick completely unrelated to the admin election.

Here is a visualisation of my joke that a dear friend made, maybe it'll help you understand it better.

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #649757

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:27 pm As long as purged silicons are antag-exclusive they should get antag-exclusive rights.
Purged used to be available to non antags, and thus needed to be kept in line - you're no longer allowed to purge an AI for no reason as a nonantagonist (or keep it purged) and so it makes sense to just make it into "do whatever you want" mode.
IMO this doesn't make sense. They have no laws but also lack an antag status, so it makes the most sense that this places them into just a neutral state like any other player with normal escalation rules.
Spoiler:
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #649759

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:48 am
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:27 pm snip
IMO this doesn't make sense. They have no laws but also lack an antag status, so it makes the most sense that this places them into just a neutral state like any other player with normal escalation rules.
1) an AI gaining "antag status" currently is entirely law-based: if a traitor manages to finagle even a regular freeform law upload that causes the AI to begin killing, they're free to do so and may act like an antagonist in that manner. (Eg: "nobody on the station is human and are all actively committing human harm, revealing the existence of this law is human harm")

2) considering that only antagonists can purge an AI currently, it should be treated as any other antagonistic law added to an AI in my mind - if the only possible way for it to be (by the rules) added to an AI is by being an antag, surely it should also convey that antag status like any other antag-exclusive law.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #649760

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:10 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:48 am
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:27 pm snip
1) an AI gaining "antag status" currently is entirely law-based: if a traitor manages to finagle even a regular freeform law upload that causes the AI to begin killing, they're free to do so and may act like an antagonist in that manner. (Eg: "nobody on the station is human and are all actively committing human harm, revealing the existence of this law is human harm")
Right, but consider the fact that AIs aren’t allowed to just kill nonhumans on ASIMOV. It wouldn’t be against their laws to do so, but where their laws fail escalation rules apply. Escalation rules only cease to apply when antag status is added into the picture - this is why borged traitors are allowed to grief nonhumans FNR.
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:10 pm2) considering that only antagonists can purge an AI currently, it should be treated as any other antagonistic law added to an AI in my mind - if the only possible way for it to be (by the rules) added to an AI is by being an antag, surely it should also convey that antag status like any other antag-exclusive law.
That doesn’t make sense to me. Just because only an antag can do it doesn’t mean it should suddenly create an unwritten rule that the AI can act like an antag. If antags want to make AIs help them kill people, they can simply one-human them and then order them to harm whoever they like, plasmaflood etc. This works because the AI’s lawset allows it.

This solution seems like a forced way of making purged have a use-case scenario because of the recent policy that nonantags can’t purge the AI, imo.
Spoiler:
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #649761

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:37 pm pacifism bans will be the hot thing for a week until some shitter realizes they can just release plasma or space the station to get around it and then nobody will ever use them again

The fact that you can get job changes from the HoP to evade job bans and (if caught) have them escalated to a server ban doesn't make the concept of a lesser ban worthless. As I understand the proposal, the idea of pacifism bans is for borderline or good faith players who have repetitive issues with escalation, to enable administrative action against those players that is lesser and more targeted than a server ban - players demonstrating that they have no good faith and / or are actively griefing doesn't make the possibility of a lesser punishment worthless.

Personally I'm unconvinced either way, but I don't think the possibility of exploiting a weak punishment makes that punishment invalid, the majority of our playerbase plays in good faith, I don't think tools that potentially make it easier to prevent mistakes or punish minor infractions without entirely evicting people from the servers should be dismissed out of hand just because they can be subverted by bad faith actors.
Last edited by spookuni on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #649762

spookuni wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:55 pm

The fact that you can get job changes from the HoP to evade job bans and (if caught) have them escalated to a server ban doesn't make the concept of a lesser ban worthless. As I understand the proposal, the idea of pacifism bans is for borderline or good faith players who have repetitive issues with escalation, to enable administrative action against those players that is lesser and more targeted than a server ban - players demonstrating that they have no good faith and / or are actively griefing doesn't make the possibility of a lesser punishment worthless.

Personally I'm unconvinced either way, but I don't think the possibility of exploiting a weak punishment makes that punishment invalid, the majority of our playerbase plays in good faith, I don't tools that potentially make it easier to prevent mistakes or punish minor infractions without entirely evicting people from the servers should be dismissed out of hand just because they can be subverted by bad faith actors.
Bingo. If a tool will enable people to be better and work through their mistakes, its worthwhile to consider situationally.

There will always be those looking to subvert measures that are intended to help them, or the server, to be better.

People evade server bans, those are not without merit.

People evade job bans, those are not without merit.

People could evade pacifism bans, those wouldn't be without merit either.
Hugs
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #649783

who should i vote for
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #649784

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:49 pm who should i vote for
oranges
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #649788

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:25 pm
oranges
nah
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #649789

Iain is smart and extremely capable but probably doesn't have the spice you need to win a democratic election

I think they're a no brainer host vote choice for whoever's up next though--last I remember they're our most active admin across all servers behind Harricross, depending on the day
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #649792

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:52 am Iain is smart and extremely capable but probably doesn't have the spice you need to win a democratic election

I think they're a no brainer host vote choice for whoever's up next though--last I remember they're our most active admin across all servers behind Harricross, depending on the day
iain's a gigachad and backbone to the team but his policy opinions are literally the centrist meme (as much as this sucks to hear i think youre great iain)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #649793

Gupta
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #649794

We are now ten seconds to midnight (le dog thread)
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #649795

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:09 am
Mothblocks wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:52 am Iain is smart and extremely capable but probably doesn't have the spice you need to win a democratic election

iain's a gigachad and backbone to the team but his policy opinions are literally the centrist meme (as much as this sucks to hear i think youre great iain)
Yeah that's more or less what I mean :P
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #649835

i just wanna say even if i said some harsh stuff, if that harshness is from the fact you took a risk and had a stance that you own, that's good on you. too many people this time around afraid to take risks and stand behind their actual plans, not just general overviews
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #649853

Feel BAD man
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #649855

wesoda25 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:11 amFeel BAD man
no it feels great.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #649860

I will say no matter how much time passes I can’t shake the belief that platforms don’t matter, character does. Still fun to talk about the interesting ones tho :^)
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #649861

wesoda25 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:48 am I will say no matter how much time passes I can’t shake the belief that platforms don’t matter, character does. Still fun to talk about the interesting ones tho :^)
Your belief is 100% correct, I've been arguing this for like 3 terms now.

I completed everything I was able to in the first like, two months. Most of it is policy discussions, ban appeals, and busy work.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #649864

wesoda25 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:48 am I will say no matter how much time passes I can’t shake the belief that platforms don’t matter, character does. Still fun to talk about the interesting ones tho :^)
Which is why I'm glad Omega has really good ideas and character
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #650007

This is a callout post for candidates who write huge unformatted chunks of text in their responses:

please my brain can't take it, I beg you to use paragraph breaks.....
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #650048

dragomagol wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:41 pm This is a callout post for candidates who write huge unformatted chunks of text in their responses:

please my brain can't take it, I beg you to use paragraph breaks.....
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #650056

Spotted in the Goofball Campaign thread
Boot wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:17 pm I'll vote for you if you don't talk over someone during the debate.
😍
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #650075

MY HATS IN THE RING VOTE DOMITIUS 2022 AND WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A WILD FUCKING RIDE
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #650101

Domitius wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:41 am MY HATS IN THE RING VOTE DOMITIUS 2022 AND WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A WILD FUCKING RIDE
I don't think I can vote for someone with a Christmas avatar :cry:
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #650102

cybersaber101 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:14 am
Domitius wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:41 am MY HATS IN THE RING VOTE DOMITIUS 2022 AND WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A WILD FUCKING RIDE
CHECK AGAIN BUCKO
cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #650108

Domitius wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:17 am
cybersaber101 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:14 am
CHECK AGAIN BUCKO
YOU GOT MY VOTE THEN!
cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #650531

rip election thread.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #650570

Old boomer headmins started running and ruined it.

With all respect to them, I hope none of the past headmins win.

A fresh team of new blood and new ideas is good, and I personally don't want to see a term of status quo.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #650587

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:14 am Old boomer headmins started running and ruined it.

A fresh team of new blood and new ideas is good, and I personally don't want to see a term of status quo.
hi ive never been headmin before pick me
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin

Post by kieth4 » #650589

Stickymayhem wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:46 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:14 am Old boomer headmins started running and ruined it.

If I somehow win I will make it a goal to return your game master.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #650616

kieth4 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:23 pm
Stickymayhem wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:46 pm

If I somehow win I will make it a goal to return your game master.
>he doesn't know
mindstormy
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Mindstormy

Post by mindstormy » #650670

Farquaar wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:13 am
Gupta
he's got my vote, we could use a shake up