Kirbykraze
Byond Username: Kirbykraze2

[Thunder12345] Kirbykraze2 - Generic ban appeal

Post by Kirbykraze » #654750

BYOND account: kirbykraze2
Character name: Whitaker Davis
Ban type: Server
Ban length: 2 days
Ban reason: As an engineer, built an unlabelled, exposed, disposals chute leading directly into the SM engine in the engineering foyer. This resulted in two other members of engineering getting dusted by it.
Time ban was placed: 2022-10-25 16:04:48
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed: 193067
Your side of the story: I suggested the idea of an SM chute, and the CE said it would be funny, so we worked together to make one. A couple people did walk in, yes, but when I walked in, I was not pushed into the SM - and I don't believe my magboots were enabled. I had ample time to walk right one tile and into a holofan.
Why you think you should be unbanned: The SM chute was a lot less dangerous than one would expect, as even when it launched me into the crystal, I wasn't dusted. For it to kill me, I had to manually walk into it. Any engineer that knew a single thing about their job would know that they could simply walk into the holofan right next to them and deconstruct the disposal outlet to simply walk out, so I have reason to believe that the people who walked in were intending to kill themselves - did you even ask them?
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: [Thunder12345] Kirbykraze2 - Generic ban appeal

Post by Thunder11 » #654752

You built a disposals chute pointing into the SM chamber.

You assumed this would not kill people because you knew of a specific way to get out based on your knowledge of the trap you set up, knowledge that other people who fell into it would not have.

This was not a reasonable assumption, and two people died as a result.

There really isn't anything more that needs to be said here.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Kirbykraze
Byond Username: Kirbykraze2

Post by Kirbykraze » #654755

It was not a "specific way to get out based on my knowledge of the trap I set up", but rather walking through a door - no, really. The way to exit was literally just walking through a door. It would be unreasonable to expect somebody to NOT try to walk out the door unless they were trying to kill themselves.
Scriptis
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #654765

It's important to note that an active crystal pulls anything not bolted down towards it in a three-tile radius. This is usually fatal for anyone without magboots, doubly so if they're disoriented from suddenly being in the engine. Here's a video demonstrating how lethal this is. You'd need to have extraordinary luck to stand near the crystal for more than three seconds without mags without being atomized.

edit: For reference, every time you hear this sound, that's the engine pulling everything in by one tile.
edit 2: Since this isn't atmos, it also doesn't care if you're standing under a holofan--if you're within the radius, you're going in, and the space wind is probably going to make things worse. Odds are you're not going to be able to deconstruct something with the crystal moving you.
Spoiler:

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #654790

movement in the SM chamber used to be because of atmos, it wasn't always hardcoded to be from the SM itself and we don't really communicate that it's NOT because of atmos

i think it's a fair assumption that the atmos holofan would stop the supermatter pulls since it's assumed that the pulls are the result of the airflow around the SM and not the actual SM crystal itself

I've made a pull request to make this more clear to players
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/70808
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #655044

In my defense it was added in 2017, the guy just implemented it wrong. I fixed it in 2020, so like 2 years ago now. It's not a matter of age, it's just a bit niche since people aren't in a running sm that often and don't get airflow
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #655472

Thunder said this was resolved on Discord.

E: By which I mean, he told me "this is resolved" on Discord, not that he resolved it via Discord. You know what I mean.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you