Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

[Discord] GOODWIN#2703 - I'm just a silly little guy

Post by Jackraxxus » #676587

Discord username: GOODWIN#2703
Commonly used names: V This Post is Bait V, 𝒥𝒶𝒸𝓀𝓇𝒶𝓍𝓍𝓊𝓈
Banning admin: OmegaDark (Nutella/Ewe Kant) / Omega_DarkPotato#1232
Ban reason: ?timeout apply 10m rules apply to you too, please communicate in good faith
Time ban was placed: Approximately 1:01 AM, AEST, 07/04/2023 in #admin-moderate-rat-posting | formerly #admin-skyratter | formerly #admin-chatter
Your side of the story: I was shitposting in the designated admin shitposting channel. My specific messages were:
"Leftist wall of text"
"Look at these bozos effortposting in #admin-moderate-rat-posting"
"I

Must

Place

A newline

Between each point

So that my fellow redditors can read them"
Last post reconstructed from memory as it was deleted. I may have been more or less liberal on the newline count. Definitely not the most harmless form of shitposting but it's not THAT bad.
Why you think you should be unbanned: In complete and utter fairness I feel as though I may have gotten what I was asking for. I was being disruptive - though I would argue good-natured shitposts in the designated shitposting channel were in no way the not-in-good-faith communication the timeout reason would imply they were. The crux of my argument, however, is that my posts were made directly in response to a post made by the banning admin. I feel as though the "flaming" nature of my posts may have incensed the banning admin to administer punishment to me in a way that may not have been neutral. Now while this is purely speculative - I would wager heavily that if any other administrator had timed me out for my posts I would have only contested it jokingly with phrases such as "1984", rather than appealing against the administrative action taken on the forums.

In exchange for my concession that the post I was replying to's spacing did indeed greatly aid its readability and upon reflection was in no way "digg" as I mistakenly accused it of being, I would like the administrator who timed me out to admit to playing a moth - and thereby concede the argument. Thank you for your consideration.

Also if I don't appeal this I'll eventually make a joke like "Well I WOULD make a comment but I'd be timed out" and I'll think smugly to myself (Like the smug wojak) "Damn that's such a zinger man I'm on FIRE today" and Omega will reply with something like "Rent free" and I'll be owned forever. So this appeal is partially to prevent that unfortunate eventuality.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: [Discord] GOODWIN#2703 - I'm just a silly little guy

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #676612

Jackraxxus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:45 pm The crux of my argument, however, is that my posts were made directly in response to a post made by the banning admin. I feel as though the "flaming" nature of my posts may have incensed the banning admin to administer punishment to me in a way that may not have been neutral. Now while this is purely speculative - I would wager heavily that if any other administrator had timed me out for my posts I would have only contested it jokingly with phrases such as "1984", rather than appealing against the administrative action taken on the forums.
Considering that this is a fairly important component to an otherwise jokey appeal (I play a moth) I'll try and shed a lil bit more light on this specific component - Had it been myself alone complaining I don't think I'd have interjected with a mute. When it got to the point that another administrator told you to "shut up" (not mentioning their name as I'm not gonna leak) I figured it had gone too far, since it wasn't affecting just my experience alone in the conversation. The fact that other people were also affected is one component to my counterargument - it's not me making judgements or handing out timeouts purely on my own preference in an issue that relates to me, but rather me making judgements based on how it's affecting other people.

The second component, whether I handled it neutrally or not, I don't think I can really provide a perfect defense to - I'm human and prone to bias just like anyone else. What I will say is that I purposefully gave a short timeout (10m) which is within the limits of any game admin - a GM, trainer, or codermin could've given you the same timeout I could. Part of it was because long timeouts directly inhibit your ability to do your job as an admin (you wouldn't be able to post in bus, and I don't have any form of authority to strip you of your powers!), and part of it was because I didn't want to bring any privileges beyond those granted to every admin into a case that's "shitposting in chatter" in a way to try and inhibit any "lack of neutrality" issues presented.

Hopefully that all makes sense!
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin

Post by Jackraxxus » #676634

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:49 pm (I play a moth)

Ok I will not post annoying multi-line shitposts in response to serious arguments (Or in response to other comments while serious arguments are happening) in chatter in future. I can see how that can be annoying and disruptive to the flow of a conversation.
However it is my God given right to continue to post "Leftist wall of text" in response to leftist walls of text in chatter so I will not stop doing that. Ever heard of a little thing called the first amendment, commie?

On a more serious note though I feel as if you are under the impression that I was uninvolved in the topic at hand, but I had been involved in the conversation in question for more than forty minutes at the time of my timeout. While I completely understand - as I said - that the newline spam post was irritating - I'm unhappy with the idea that you would look so harshly upon bringing levity to an argument in a non-serious-business channel with something quite so tame as "leftist wall of text". I believe neither that, nor "look at these bozos effortposting in (whatever the name of admin chatter is at the moment)" to be over the line when it comes to the shitposting channel.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #676684

Jackraxxus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:11 pm[...]something quite so tame as "leftist wall of text". I believe neither that, nor "look at these bozos effortposting in (whatever the name of admin chatter is at the moment)" to be over the line when it comes to the shitposting channel.
For the record: I don't, so long as it's non-disruptive. The multi-line message about digg spacing or inability to read I took issue with because it's like 10 lines for no contribution, but I'm not going to get anal over a joke in a channel that's meant for joking to be able to occur :P
You're all good to say "leftist wall of text" when someone posts a leftist wall of text, haha
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin

Post by Jackraxxus » #676694

I understand the errors I made, and I will endeavour to not repeat them. Furthermore I feel as though my concerns have addressed in a thorough and exemplary manner and am more than content with the resolution of this appeal.
Thank you for acknowledging my complaints so quickly, and for having read the leftist wall of text that was the OP. I feel many others would've dismissed the OP as just that, but you took the high road and I am grateful for it.