[Armhulen] Fren256 - I did NOT blow that whistle!

Appeals which have been closed.
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

[Armhulen] Fren256 - I did NOT blow that whistle!

Post by Fren256 » #677369

BYOND account: Fren256
Character name: N/A
Ban type: Board warning
Ban length: N/A
Ban reason: This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=676317#p676317
Bigotry is not allowed. Intentionally seeking to demean others due to their actual or perceived race, sex, gender, disability, orientation or the like is not tolerated.
Server you were playing on when banned: /tg/Station 13 Forums
Round ID in which ban was placed: N/A
Your side of the story: I posted a thought provoking words list, which includes a series of speciesist slurs for players to use in-game. Armhulen saw my post and concluded that I broke Rule 11.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I disagree with the ruling regarding my post. While it may look like I'm breaking Rule 11, I do not believe this is true. I am following MSO's ruling regarding the usage of derivative slurs for non-human species that come from real-life slurs: viewtopic.php?p=624234#p624234
References of good conduct: N/A
Anything else we should know: N/A

Edit: Minimal typo
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: [Armhulen] Fren256 - I did NOT blow that whistle!

Post by Armhulen » #677391

I'll give two reasons behind the warning, but regardless of the reasons, I think it makes sense for MSO to give his thoughts. He has a vision for rule 11, I'm here to enforce it fairly.

1. The thread's opening examples end up being just too close to slurs in a way that isn't obvious. "Faggonid" in particular fails to be a species-related slur, imo. Even if unintentional.
2. Even if I didn't feel that way about the OP, the thread in general was a challenge for people to get as close as they can to breaking rule 11, with examples given I don't think are reasonable. If it was an important discussion about what specism is allowed, that's a different question, but if it's just a thread about inventing slurs, my willingness to repeatedly warn, ban, and make judgement calls on whether "Megroe" or whatever other slurs are invented in the thread pass my common sense check runs thin.
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #677444

I was hoping to bring my points to policy discussion, but you figured it out, so I'll point them out here:

The goal of my post was, in some way, to protest against MSO's ruling regarding Precedent 2 of Rule 11, or in other words, "ligger" not being a bannable word. I tried to write it in a satirical manner -hence the crossed out word "white"- following the same (unoriginal) format the L word uses. However, I apologize to anyone that has seen my post and felt targeted by it, it wasn't my intention to offend you.

Now, why am I opposed to the ruling? I don't like allowing players use that word for a variety of reasons:
  • It's an obvious attempt to say a real-life slur without the consequences. Anyone can see that from miles away.
  • It sets the precedent that other derivative slurs can be said in-game. One of the words in the list, "megroe", was actually said by a banned (idiot) user, whom was noted for it but later removed after he pointed out the inconsistency: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33145&p=661930
  • It drives away new, well adjusted players while attracting the bigoted ones (you know which ones). Is this really the kind of crowd we want to draw into our community?
  • It goes against the values of the game. The rules say that bigotry is not allowed, good. But then MSO comes in and says "you can say ligger though lol"? That doesn't make sense, it contradicts Rule 11. It's hypocritical.
With my rant over, I'd like to apologize to you, as well. I'm sorry if my post made it look like I was just trying to troll, and I understand if you want to keep the warning. I just want to let you know that by no means I support the usage of slurs or any other "variants", that's simply not who I am.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #677457

Reading your post, you have earned my utmost respect. Even before this post, I didn't think you were dogwhistling, rather just a player who accidentally, well, as I said in the now locked thread, flew too close to the sun.

So how does this sound? I lift the warning, but also we agree not to do that for quite awhile, and I say this to you and more generally the tg forum goers who see this thread. Awareness has been achieved, further awareness can go towards a policy thread so people can join in on the discussion and revisit it proper. Last time it was discussed at least what I'm seeing is viewtopic.php?p=630775#p630775 which is by far a reasonable cooldown to reapproach the issue. Cool beans?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #677459

"that" being thread topics that are dangerously close to being a rule 11 issue to the point where I discuss with others about it
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #677468

Armhulen wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:25 am Reading your post, you have earned my utmost respect. Even before this post, I didn't think you were dogwhistling, rather just a player who accidentally, well, as I said in the now locked thread, flew too close to the sun.

So how does this sound? I lift the warning, but also we agree not to do that for quite awhile, and I say this to you and more generally the tg forum goers who see this thread. Awareness has been achieved, further awareness can go towards a policy thread so people can join in on the discussion and revisit it proper. [...] Cool beans?
Absolutely! I appreciate your time for reading my appeal, and I'll make sure to open a proper debate in policy discussion.
Armhulen wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:25 am Last time it was discussed at least what I'm seeing is viewtopic.php?p=630775#p630775 which is by far a reasonable cooldown to reapproach the issue.
Unfortunately I cannot see the link, I assume it says when the topic can be brought up again?

Edit: Minimal typo, again
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #677469

My bad, it got sent to hidden trash. It's a post on Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:13 am by Boot (oh my god that is hilarious now that I noticed) about in character specism. Basically, it's been a year. Seems good.
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #677505

Armhulen wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:44 am My bad, it got sent to hidden trash. It's a post on Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:13 am by Boot (oh my god that is hilarious now that I noticed) about in character specism. Basically, it's been a year. Seems good.
Ey nice, I'm gonna prepare my post then. Thanks again for your time! That is all on my part.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #677518

Last note, warnings take a little while to clear. But it will be