Spectral Instruments - Conversion non-antags

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Spectral Instruments - Conversion non-antags

Post by conrad » #679282

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'll preface this by saying I am very, very mad. If I come across a little direct, I apologize.

The subject is how the spectral instrument skeletons should be treated, and how other conversion non-antags (if they exist, or come to exist) should be treated.

From what I understand, the spectral instruments are a very, very rare piece of maintenance loot. However, just in the last two weeks, we saw, I believe, three rounds where someone found the loot in maintenance, used it to convert a bunch of people, which leads to two problems: the skeletons aren't antagonists, which means they're bound by escalation policy, and so are most of their victims.

This generates a ton of ahelps since they are not antagonists, and can spawn controversial notes/bans.

I see three solutions for this:
  • Remove spectral instruments from the maintenance loot pool. Would require a code change for this and, fuck it, I'll do it
  • Treat instrument converted skeletons as regular team conversion antagonists (this is my preferred solution). Setting an antagonist flag for converted skeletons would also require a code change (I could do it but I have no idea how to even start)
  • Maintain escalation rules where the skeletons are not antagonists and make it optional for them to convert (I think everyone is gonna hate this, but it doesn't require a code change.)
I know some of these require code changes, but hell, it's a fucking ballache to admin a round where people find the fucking spectral instruments. I can only imagine what ballache it must be to be bwoinked senseless as a player from them as well.

If I said something incorrect, please let me know.

Thoughts? Thank you for your attention :)
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug: ⋆ :beer: 𝒯𝒢𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒢 π“ˆπ’Άπ’·π’Άπ“‰π’Ύπ’Έπ’Άπ“. :faggot: ⋆ :heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: ↑Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: ↑Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: ↑Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
conrad

Re: Spectral Instruments - Conversion non-antags

Post by conrad » #680034

TypicalRig wrote: ↑Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:57 am
conrad wrote: ↑Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:20 pm Thank you Jacquerel, Fikou and NecromancerAnne for flagging this and getting it solved so soon. Indeed, with this merged we revert to what it was before where finding the spooky stuff in maints is just a rare treat, almost like an event.

I'll leave this open, but I feel that discussing this is now moot, since the root of the issue is solved.

Thanks again!
The root of the issue isn't solved though, as it still exists as a rare spawn in maint. It was only the lavaland one that was removed. There would still be an admin related stress on what to do in these kinds of scenarios if it rolled, and we need a concrete ruling on how to handle it. The PR that would actually solve the issue is https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/74720, which hasn't been merged.
What I have heard, from admins and players I asked about the subject, is that in years of playing they have never seen this item.

And, in the last two weeks while I've been adminning, I've seen it three times.

The issue was the item appearing every round and causing a disturbance. Watermelon crunched the numbers and it seems to be rare enough that it stops being a problem and becomes an event (just like it's supposed to be in Halloween).

I think we're good.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug: ⋆ :beer: 𝒯𝒢𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒢 π“ˆπ’Άπ’·π’Άπ“‰π’Ύπ’Έπ’Άπ“. :faggot: ⋆ :heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: ↑Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: ↑Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: ↑Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #680041

Now that we know the cause is lavaland loot (another case of lavaland loot causing problems), I'm fine with the sax as it is.
Harusha wrote: ↑Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
conrad

Post by conrad » #680111

Right, I'm gonna close this. I think we're good.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.