SS13 and Learning English

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Epoc
Byond Username: Epoc

SS13 and Learning English

Post by Epoc » #681476

SS13 is a game that, at its core, revolves around player conflict and communication. TGstation is an English-language server.
Anecdotally, as seen in ban appeals like this ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33885 ), I feel like I've seen more than a few bans for lack of/poor communication where the appellant's primary language isn't English.
This has got me thinking about our player's histories with SS13 and their own language experience.
I know I have found myself getting frustrated with people who seemingly never speak and just walk around collecting items, but it had never occurred to me that they simply might not be comfortable talking in English.

Didn't really have any specific goal with this thread, just wanted to hear people's thoughts.
General discussion topics;
  • Did you have a strong grasp of English when you first began playing?
  • Do you feel as if playing SS13 has improved your language skills?
  • Have you ever felt like being unable to fully express yourself negatively impacted your gameplay?
  • Should/can accommodations be made for people who have difficulty quickly expressing themselves?
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Re: SS13 and Learning English

Post by conrad » #681545

I learned English watching TV and playing videogames. I would then sleep during English class throughout the entirety of highschool and score straight As. Doesnae work for History tho. Apparently Age of Empires took some liberties. I started playing fluent.

SS13 made my english worse by turning me into a towerposter.

This should be an English speaking server first and foremost. Not because English is better or anything, but because we already have server tribalism and we don't need language tribalism. If you don't know what something means, just ask.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #681569

Epoc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:05 pmShould/can accommodations be made for people who have difficulty quickly expressing themselves?
It would be nice but there's no possible way to do it. Learn as you play, you don't need much English to play spacemans anyways. But maybe if someone runs into trouble because they can't speak/understand things, it should be taken into consideration by admins (like kieth is doing).
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #681570

i remember i did a big batch of message statistics back in like 2019 and the most common messages spoken were by far just all profanities. The #1 most spoken message with at least 3 words was "what the fuck"
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #681597

Shaps-cloud wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:18 am i remember i did a big batch of message statistics back in like 2019 and the most common messages spoken were by far just all profanities. The #1 most spoken message with at least 3 words was "what the fuck"
sounds about right
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #681599

This game makes my English worse
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #681603

kieth4 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm Thanks for coming clean, I'm defo a believer in second chances really.

Let me have a think and I'll get back to you.
Man Kieth can't say this and then say NO afterwards
That would be so mean
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #681610

They English they use is more than eligible though, I've definitely seen way worse.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #681611

I also think there's a large amount of people I've seen grow into great English speakers over the years actually, one of my favourite appeals is the toxic terry elitist appeal/ban (did it get appealed? I recall laughing at it.) That guy speaks solid English now which is definitely a progression in his character.