Add "upon being caught" Rule 5 Subsection 2

Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Add "upon being caught" Rule 5 Subsection 2

Post by Bmon » #698175

Right now Rule 5.2 reads as follows:
Ghosting out, going AFK, suiciding, or logging off when converted to a team antagonist position can result in warnings from an admin; extending to bans for repeated behaviour from an individual. This also extends to when Command/Security mindshield implanting an individual to their side in said modes. At most within team antagonist, it is expected players to not maliciously harm their team's progress and assist if they are able to the best of their abilities.
I believe the first part should be changed from "when converted to a team antagonist position" to "upon being caught or when converted by a team antagonist".
A few servers already have a rule like this in place, it is incredibly lame to abuse your suicide/ghost verbs upon being caught by a team antagonist to deny them a conversion. Simply ahelp after being converted and ask an admin to offer yourself up to the ghosts if you do not wish to play.
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Re: Add "upon being caught" Rule 5 Subsection 2

Post by Jackraxxus » #698180

I think this would be a good change. Not for clarity's sake, but to stop people from baiting themselves into rules-lawyering in PMs and getting dunked harder for it.
"But I was not actually converted tho :( I was just cuffed on an offer rune with 2 cultists adjacent to me :smirk:"
Death.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #698209

I'd personally be for this change, is there is a better way to word it?

If there is I'm not seeing it.
Hugs
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #698255

ghosting bad. suicideing while there are cultists banging at your locked door is ok.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #698265

I support this, but on the condition the same applies for antagonists caught by security. When I play security nothing makes me sadder than capturing a traitor who then ghosts. Put in at least a little bit of effort, or at least wait till you’re dead.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #698267

I don't like this change. I think people should be able to opt out of being converted if they haven't actually been converted. They're choosing to die instead of help the antags, I don't see a problem with that.

My biggest issue would be where you would draw the line. Would it be okay if someone locked themselves in a room and suicided as cultists were breaking in to convert them? What if they hadn't been caught yet but knew cultists were nearby and didn't want to be converted?

I don't see a gameplay benefit over the RP benefit of being able to choose outright just leaving the round over being converted. The rules should stay as they are now.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #698275

Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:59 pm I don't like this change. I think people should be able to opt out of being converted if they haven't actually been converted. They're choosing to die instead of help the antags, I don't see a problem with that.

My biggest issue would be where you would draw the line. Would it be okay if someone locked themselves in a room and suicided as cultists were breaking in to convert them? What if they hadn't been caught yet but knew cultists were nearby and didn't want to be converted?

I don't see a gameplay benefit over the RP benefit of being able to choose outright just leaving the round over being converted. The rules should stay as they are now.
I think it would be fine if the person killed themselves by natural means. Ghosting is not RP at all and kinda sucks. Suicide is instant, OP and auto DNRs. Should probably not DNR immediately if they're attempting to get you converted. Just ahelp or ask for a role ban if you really don't want to get converted.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #698306

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:54 pm I'd personally be for this change, is there is a better way to word it?

Maybe "when converted to a team antagonist position or when conversion to a team antagonist position is imminent"?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #698311

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:48 am Maybe "when converted to a team antagonist position or when conversion to a team antagonist position is imminent"?
But how do you define that? What counts as "imminent"?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Bmon
In-Game Admin

Post by Bmon » #698380

Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:59 pm I don't like this change. I think people should be able to opt out of being converted if they haven't actually been converted. They're choosing to die instead of help the antags, I don't see a problem with that.
The only reason someone would suicide immediately after being captured by a conversion antag is if they're being a sore loser and trying to deny the conversion antag any gain from capturing them, it's not fair to the conversion antag who had to go out of their way to capture and try to convert them. Players can already request rolebans if they do not wish to play a conversion antag which will automatically offer themselves to the ghosts upon conversion, that failing they could always ahelp and have it manually done by an admin.
Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:59 pm My biggest issue would be where you would draw the line. Would it be okay if someone locked themselves in a room and suicided as cultists were breaking in to convert them? What if they hadn't been caught yet but knew cultists were nearby and didn't want to be converted?
The key word here is caught, if you could have reasonably offed yourself I think it's fine. Was the player in question fighting the cult and only suicided after getting stunlocked? It was probably done out of spitefulness and deserves enforcement.
Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:59 pm I don't see a gameplay benefit over the RP benefit of being able to choose outright just leaving the round over being converted. The rules should stay as they are now.
If anything it's bad RP to be committing suicide after being captured. I'll specifically point to Paradise as an example who put this rule under their RP standards, it makes zero sense to be able to kill yourself while you're cuffed and being dragged off by a conversion antag to be converted. Using roleplay as a shield for this type of behaviour is not valid in my eyes for the reasons mentioned above.
Last edited by Bmon on Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmon
In-Game Admin

Post by Bmon » #698383

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:54 pm I'd personally be for this change, is there is a better way to word it?

I think the word captured works better than caught.

Something like:
"Ghosting out, going AFK, suiciding, or logging off upon being captured by a team antagonist or when converted into team antagonist position can result in warnings from an admin; extending to bans for repeated behaviour from an individual. This also extends to when Command/Security mindshield implanting an individual to their side in said modes. At most within team antagonist, it is expected players to not maliciously harm their team's progress and assist if they are able to the best of their abilities.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #698486

Bmon wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:54 am Players can already request rolebans if they do not wish to play a conversion antag which will automatically offer themselves to the ghosts upon conversion, that failing they could always ahelp and have it manually done by an admin.
I agree with the general sentiment of the post, but "If you don't like these modes, you CAN just ask admins to make it so that the modes just instantly round remove you with nothing you can do about it, with the added bonus of watching some mouthbreather run around with your name" has never sat right with me and it feels wrong for it to be smugly offered whenever people raise concerns about these modes.
Bmon
In-Game Admin

Post by Bmon » #698529

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:16 pm
Bmon wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:54 am Players can already request rolebans if they do not wish to play a conversion antag which will automatically offer themselves to the ghosts upon conversion, that failing they could always ahelp and have it manually done by an admin.
I agree with the general sentiment of the post, but "If you don't like these modes, you CAN just ask admins to make it so that the modes just instantly round remove you with nothing you can do about it, with the added bonus of watching some mouthbreather run around with your name" has never sat right with me and it feels wrong for it to be smugly offered whenever people raise concerns about these modes.
Ghosting/Suiciding already round removes you, there's no coming back from it. If you're more concerned about somebody else playing as your character you kind of just have to accept that it'll happen every once and a while, this is the game with paradox clones and changelings after all.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #698582

Bmon wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:54 am Right now Rule 5.2 reads as follows:
Ghosting out, going AFK, suiciding, or logging off when converted to a team antagonist position can result in warnings from an admin; extending to bans for repeated behaviour from an individual. This also extends to when Command/Security mindshield implanting an individual to their side in said modes. At most within team antagonist, it is expected players to not maliciously harm their team's progress and assist if they are able to the best of their abilities.
I believe the first part should be changed from "when converted to a team antagonist position" to "upon being caught or when converted by a team antagonist".
A few servers already have a rule like this in place, it is incredibly lame to abuse your suicide/ghost verbs upon being caught by a team antagonist to deny them a conversion. Simply ahelp after being converted and ask an admin to offer yourself up to the ghosts if you do not wish to play.
I have been told before by an admin in a ticket that ghosting before conversion, even without letting an admin know, was okay. If you got converted, however, then you had to ahelp before ghosting since you were a part of a team antag.

I feel like no one should be entitled to having a player forced to play another 20+ minutes with them that they don't enjoy, and that it should be that player's responsibility to find a sub to fill in if they're not up for it. If you haven't converted them then they have no obligation to you and have no allegiance, they're allowed to leave the game at any time IMO.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #698727

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:10 am ... and that it should be that player's responsibility to find a sub to fill in if they're not up for it.
As much as I agree with the point you're making, do you mean it's an admin's responsibility? How would it work if it was a player's?
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #698729

Vekter wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:00 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:10 am ... and that it should be that player's responsibility to find a sub to fill in if they're not up for it.
As much as I agree with the point you're making, do you mean it's an admin's responsibility? How would it work if it was a player's?
Oops yeah, I meant to say admin’s there.
Spoiler:
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #699900

Code issue, bodies who have had players ghost out of them should just be offered to ghosts upon being converted

All it takes is a variable on an entity be set to true when its sentience is ghosted out , then have it set to false again when a new player takes control/it becomes sentient.

When this variable is true, any changes to faction offers the body

Note that cultists can already offer an already converted body to ghosts if someone ghosts out after being converted by just putting that person on an offering rune.

So (currently) ghosting after you are converted is preferable and I would say perfectly acceptable when it comes to cult.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Bmon
In-Game Admin

Post by Bmon » #700130

MooCow12 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:52 pm Code issue, bodies who have had players ghost out of them should just be offered to ghosts upon being converted

All it takes is a variable on an entity be set to true when its sentience is ghosted out , then have it set to false again when a new player takes control/it becomes sentient.

When this variable is true, any changes to faction offers the body

Note that cultists can already offer an already converted body to ghosts if someone ghosts out after being converted by just putting that person on an offering rune.

So (currently) ghosting after you are converted is preferable and I would say perfectly acceptable when it comes to cult.
Definitely not a single var change, cult would be able to make a hoard of cultists out humanized monkeys or slime clones, same with revs. On top of it what of suiciding?

I see this as an admin issue, no one here wants to force someone to play an antag they don't want to. The only issue I have is when your suicide and ghost opinions are used in a disruptful way to try to get a final "haha this was all for nothing" over a conversion antag when you were obviously about to be converted by them.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #700157

How would you make a horde of cultists out of monkeys if those monkeys never had a soul in them, the only way this would be exploited is if you use mind magnification helmet then had that person ghost…wait

I think you can already do that

Put a mind mag helmet on a monkey, convert that monkey to cult, tell that monkey to ghost, take the helmet off, offering rune the body which should theoretically still be cult alligned. (As far as i know there is implementation in place that offers souless cultists to ghosts)

Repeat

Eitherway this exploit is irrelevant to my proposal which simply makes it so people that ghosted before conversion can still be converted and offered to ghosts.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #700457

Can we extend this policy to people being force borged too? We have a decent amount of people that will sit in an MMI in robotics and wait until the exact second the cyborg suit is finished to ghost just so they can OOCly waste as much of a person's time as possible after getting caught. In the case of an MMI it's blatantly obvious a person is taking the time to borg you, so there's not really an argument against this. At the bare minimum they should be obligated to ahelp for a ghost to take control of their MMI.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #700592

I'd like to state, for the record*, that you cannot suicide while stunned or cuffed. As such, if you're able to use the suicide verb, you're not yet truely caught, and also had the ability to use any other available item to attack or otherwise resist conversion. So this policy should only really apply to ghosting.

*Unless it recently changed
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #705211

I would also like to contribute that of the conversion antags we have, one group of them has a code solution for people ghosting after being converted.
Unless it was changed, cult can slap a living SSD person on a Revive rune to offer the body to deadchat, costing them nothing except the time/effort to draw and use the rune.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #705733

Personally I'd be ruling it as inclusive anyway. You're not already denying a conversion/teammate either way, and it is just bad sportsmanship.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #705738

What is the line where the admin team goes from "you must do everything you can to avoid being converted or we'll antag ban you" over to "if you prevent your own conversion we'll ban you"?

If that line looks like a spirograph doodle, probably best to just leave things as they are. Especially if there's no really easy way to communicate to a player they just crossed over from the line where they're breaking the rules if they get converted, to the line where they're breaking the rules if they don't get converted.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #705766

i think doing ooc actions like ghosting or suiciding via verb are pretty clear cut actions of misuse. Both indicate you do not want to play the game anymore, they are not meant to be used as a get out card for IC denial.

This is consistent with the policy that AIs cannot suicide verb to avoid subversion but CAN depowerkill themselves to do so.

If you are able to stab yourself to avoid being converted then thats also fine, but you wouldnt realistically do that for certain modes like cult since it would still offer them a shard or whatever.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #705771

The suicide verb is generally considered an IC action. Calling it OOC is like arguing that using the say verb to avoid being converted successfully is an OOC action.

It can only be used while alive and while the appropriate set of IC restrictions are met.

It's pretty much a fancy emote at this point. Don't want people using it? Skill issue, restrain them.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #705786

Timberpoes wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:01 pm The suicide verb is generally considered an IC action. Calling it OOC is like arguing that using the say verb to avoid being converted successfully is an OOC action.

It can only be used while alive and while the appropriate set of IC restrictions are met.

It's pretty much a fancy emote at this point. Don't want people using it? Skill issue, restrain them.
It's OOC because it unbinds their soul and DNRs them.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #705854

Timberpoes wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:01 pm Skill issue, restrain them.
Shame about signaller suicide.

Let's not fall into the trap of enabling sweaty verb-based gameplay of all things. If someone is abusing it too much and seem to have a tendency to do because it is mechanically (crew-sidedly) stronger than conventional suicide/death due to the DNR removing the ghost mobs attachment to the body (a part ic part ooc concept), then we should maybe ask those people to stop. After all, if it matters more to the suicider if they care more about the converter being harmed by their actions than their inability to play, maybe that isn't the best mindset to be approaching the game.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #705886

Timberpoes wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:01 pm The suicide verb is generally considered an IC action. Calling it OOC is like arguing that using the say verb to avoid being converted successfully is an OOC action.

No its not? The headmin policy of AI using said verb clearly states its considered an OOC action. Just because it communicates the OOC action in a flavorful way IC doesnt make the action itself an acceptable tool to utilize in character, which is also consistent with the aforementioned policy.
Headmin Policy wrote:You're free to depower yourself as an AI to put the subverter/traitor on a timer but you shouldn't use the OOC verb to suicide.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #705888

Don't take OOC reactions in response to IC actions, if you want to suicide to prevent a conversion, that's a skill issue on the cult's part, since they should have had you restrained or stunned. However, if you ghost in response to IC actions, that's taking an OOC out and is not allowed. If you don't want to be a cultist ever, request a cult ban or ask an admin to replace you.

Imagine the police arresting someone and they just go "NO I DONT WANT TO BE ARRESTED" and they instantly go comatose. While funny in the context of ss13, it doesn't work like that.

Cheshify - Wrote it
TheBibleMelts - "thwarting conversion via round removal verbs - fine if it's the suicide verb, not fine if it's the ghost verb."
Fikour - Approved it
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta