A Mime’s Misdeeds

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

A Mime’s Misdeeds

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #699098

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34671
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Re: A Mime’s Misdeeds

Post by BONERMASTER » #699192

Just saying guys, but if I was that mime, I'd stuff my backpack with the maximum amount of bombs possible in the videogame of SS13 that is being the context of this discussion, and give that doctor a real tight hug before deleting them and their entire department.

Of course, this is all just hyopthetical, because I will never play a mime and have no interest of doing so. But just saying! And also, you're being honest to god cowards with this escalation policy: If you're already going to void someone's life over something as trite as using their voice, at least let them fight back against all the idiots that are coming for them. It's only fair!

With emotional regards
-BONERMASTER
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #699193

Talking Mimes dont deserve revenge. Using your voice is the one fucking thing you can’t do as a mime, simple as. Also talking mimes should get a 15min role ban for every word spoken but thats a seperate issue.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #699195

I've never been opposed to valids fighting back lethally but apparently the admin concern is kill baiting or something?
And I am okay with admins talking to people and not noting them. I guess maybe if they log off make it a temporary note or just not note them at all. If all ot takes not to note someone is them replying "ok" maybe you shouldn't note them either if they log off?
Just seems unclear to me why some notes are removable.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #699198

in all honesty, i've never been a huge fan of people dropping everything to kill someone because they did something harmless that makes them valid. we try not to encourage this sort of kill hungry behaviour in other circumstances, but then in a handful of situations we totally allow it. it sometimes seems to demand that we ignore all the nuance around a situation when otherwise it would be part of our due diligence to consider that nuance. sometimes it helps the ss13 style fun of a situation to relax escalation for something that makes sense, but a lot of the time these situations are people out for blood just because the rules said they're allowed to do so, disconnected from any tangible IC reasoning.

however, on the other hand, the mime spoke. kill them. parade their body through the streets as a warning for all.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #699199

dirk_mcblade wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:01 pm Just seems unclear to me why some notes are removable.
I felt like it

Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #699200

if I fought to keep it, Kieth might've had to read all that :skull:

BrolyButterfingers
Byond Username: DurrHurrDurrHurr

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #699207

dendydoom wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:27 pm in all honesty, i've never been a huge fan of people dropping everything to kill someone because they did something harmless that makes them valid. we try not to encourage this sort of kill hungry behaviour in other circumstances, but then in a handful of situations we totally allow it. it sometimes seems to demand that we ignore all the nuance around a situation when otherwise it would be part of our due diligence to consider that nuance. sometimes it helps the ss13 style fun of a situation to relax escalation for something that makes sense, but a lot of the time these situations are people out for blood just because the rules said they're allowed to do so, disconnected from any tangible IC reasoning.

however, on the other hand, the mime spoke. kill them. parade their body through the streets as a warning for all.
There are three things that flip my switch like I'm a fucking sleeper agent being activated and I become a validhunting NPC until it's resolved: Space Dragons, people who say slurs, and talking mimes.

I will forever die on the "Mimes getting their ass beat for talking makes well-timed choices to talk far funnier" hill and vow to defend the institution of mime beatings to my very last breath.
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #699208

I also beat the shit out of clowns who take off their shoes so they can run faster.
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #699219

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:00 pm I also beat the shit out of clowns who take off their shoes so they can run faster.
Beware:
remanseptim wrote: make clowns who take off their shoes valid
the only thing wrong with this is that people could remove shoes to make said clown valid, I have a suggestion for that but that's more a coding thing.
Coconutwarrior97 wrote: No thanks.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: No.
Phuzzylodgik: No.
TWATICUS: No.
Taken from here.

Unless I'm mistaken and you can find a more recent ruling saying otherwise, please do not kill Clowns for the sole reason of them taking their shoes off.

On a less serious note, clown shoes make you slower?
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
BrolyButterfingers

Post by BrolyButterfingers » #699220

Justice12354 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:20 pm
BrolyButterfingers wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:00 pm I also beat the shit out of clowns who take off their shoes so they can run faster.
Beware:
remanseptim wrote: make clowns who take off their shoes valid
the only thing wrong with this is that people could remove shoes to make said clown valid, I have a suggestion for that but that's more a coding thing.
Coconutwarrior97 wrote: No thanks.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: No.
Phuzzylodgik: No.
TWATICUS: No.
Taken from here.

Unless I'm mistaken and you can find a more recent ruling saying otherwise, please do not kill Clowns for the sole reason of them taking their shoes off.

I know about this ruling, I do it anyway because I think it's incredibly funny (and also invite it upon myself when I play clown). A sacrifice I am willing to make for comedy.
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #699222

BrolyButterfingers wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:22 pm
Justice12354 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:20 pm
<ruling>

I know about this ruling, I do it anyway because I think it's incredibly funny (and also invite it upon myself when I play clown). A sacrifice I am willing to make for comedy.
Funny.
I do feel sad when I see a Clown with their shoes off. Like, why would you not want to waddle around and make funny honk noises?
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #699229

the only good time to take off clown shoes is to replace them with meown shoes or ducky shoes
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #699246

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:56 am killing a mime for breaking their vow is stupid unless they're breaking their vow to say something shitty
it was literally added as a ruling on the spot by the griefer headmin term out of the blue and everyone just went along with it. We spent years removing "annoying thing that makes you valid to the whole crew" policies then as soon as ones added back in people started salivating for free kills all over again
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #699247

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:24 pm
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:56 am killing a mime for breaking their vow is stupid unless they're breaking their vow to say something shitty
it was literally added as a ruling on the spot by the griefer headmin term out of the blue and everyone just went along with it. We spent years removing "annoying thing that makes you valid to the whole crew" policies then as soon as ones added back in people started salivating for free kills all over again
which was the griefer headmin term? please help me to recollect i am old
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #699337

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:27 pm
which was the griefer headmin term? please help me to recollect i am old
all of them
► Show Spoiler
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #699339

I thought it was based on a law in France
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #699343

on one hand i dont think round removal for vow breaking is a good idea but on the other hand i feel like mime is essentially a challenge class the same way clown is (clumsiness) and having a social punishment for abandoning the challenge isn't an inherently bad thing, and being de-tounged for it isnt something i would personally note the other party over as long as they arent like, de-tounging and nuggeting and stripping you naked and throwing you into disposals and effectively completely ruining your whole round (unless you're just taking mime and going HEY LOOK AT ME IM TALKING COME KILL ME in which case im going to knot your shoes as soon as anyone with a baseball bat approached)

if you pick mime theres an expectation that you're opting into playing on hard mode, i think if you break your vow you have to make sure the way you do it is funny/"""epic""" enough that people forgive you for doing it
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #699344

The fact that crew go mental at talking mimes like someone activated a bottle of mayhem is just hands down funny and is exactly the kind of interaction I want in my funny spaceman game. Like, coders could remove the ability of mimes to speak at all and that would be sad because we'd lose that.

I would've hands down rejected the appeal based on word count alone.
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #699387

mime being more difficult is fine but clowns should get the exact same treatment in the form of a vote at the end of the round which asks if they were funny or not

this does nothing, except for if the clown gets less than a 20% approval rating, at which they are jobbanned for a week

why its good for the game: it'd be funnier than most clowns
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #699420

There are occasionally funny clowns though so it evens out.
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #699494

I'm of the opinion that security who deliberately antagonise the Mime / baiting them into talking should also have their tongues ripped out and deep-fried. Shit-sec can really bring out the worst type of frustration in any player. Being unable to defend yourself/talk makes it all the worse.
And yes, I do understand Mimes shouldn't talk. But I've personally been the victim of sadistic shit-sec myself and sadly understand full well how frustrating it is to be caught in a situation that doesn't really warrant admin help but also puts you in a situation that you cannot really get out of IC'ly. Admins will tell you to fuck off, shit-sec know this and will just abuse their power to bait Mimes into talking.

Not an uncommon situation. At least from personal experience.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #699500

kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:45 am I'm of the opinion that security who deliberately antagonise the Mime / baiting them into talking should also have their tongues ripped out and deep-fried. Shit-sec can really bring out the worst type of frustration in any player. Being unable to defend yourself/talk makes it all the worse.
And yes, I do understand Mimes shouldn't talk. But I've personally been the victim of sadistic shit-sec myself and sadly understand full well how frustrating it is to be caught in a situation that doesn't really warrant admin help but also puts you in a situation that you cannot really get out of IC'ly. Admins will tell you to fuck off, shit-sec know this and will just abuse their power to bait Mimes into talking.

Not an uncommon situation. At least from personal experience.
this is definitely frustrating. for what it's worth, a relatively recent headmin ruling was made regarding this, which asks admins to consider a player's reasonable IC choices when under the thumb of sec's escalation: viewtopic.php?p=689250#p689250
When a meta-protected player initiaties a conflict, admins should keep in mind before IC issuing it what realistic IC actions the player can take to resolve it. Be cautious if your decision is indirectly forcing them to just suck up and take the meta-protected player's behaviour because the only reasonable alternatives lead to death.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #699554

That's reassuring to know dendydoom. Thanks for the reply. Good to know that a Mime can expect a fair response in ahelps if they're being baited into talking then.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #699556

If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #699558

Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
Similar sentiments.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #699559

Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
Sig content yooooo
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #699564

kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm
Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
Similar sentiments.
to be fair though, clowns have plenty of funny reasons to take their shoes off, and they are generally trusted to alter themselves how they see fit because of funny. When a mime speaks they betray who they are. When a mime speaks, their connection to mime ancestors is severed, like so

Image.

A talking mime just isnt a mime anymore, and you cant take that back. They are also violating their contract by not respecting the mime vow, and its only right they are beaten to death as a response
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #699566

I agree and I appreciate the very detailed gif.