I regret voting for Timberpoes

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

I regret voting for Timberpoes

Post by ekaterina » #696518

Bottom post of the previous page:

I just read one of the dumbest rulings ever made on tgstation. viewtopic.php?p=695750#p695750.

What the fuck does "can't use it to fight back" even mean? Expecting a player to just sit there and let himself be beaten is absolutely immersion-breaking. It's beyond stupid.

Even if that wording doesn't actually mean that and I just misinterpreted it, this is still an awful ruling. Something as trivial and basic as calling a ligger that resulting in something as major as a player being "valid" is absurd!
Last edited by ekaterina on Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Re: I regret voting for Timberpoes

Post by kinnebian » #699908

Chadley wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:06 pm
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
What the fuck, Beedell.
i mean, he was an admin on skyrat
respect (let him do his thing)
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #699912

ekaterina wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:13 pm
dendydoom wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:59 pm i would say i've dealt with more rule 8 incidents ahelped by felinid players who have been made uncomfortable by others making a pass at them.
That backs one of my points. Felinid players aren't necessarily the problem, but the people who want to keep them around for their own sexual gratification are.
then it seems much more productive and fair to me to punish the people that cause the issue, which we already do. it seems totally unfair to deprive innocent players of something they enjoy for something they're not responsible for.

you are fully entitled to have a personal distaste for felinids because they're cringy anime bullshit that you think is stupid. i'm sure many people would agree with you. but it seems a bit silly to get bent out of shape trying to reinforce that distaste by calling its proponents literal animal fuckers. the sentiment behind this approach seems to ironically be the very thing you're against when it comes to defending your epic lizard word.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #699913

SEVEN PAGES YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Truly a thread of all time.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
This election time is giving up so much good premium forum sig stuff I'm running out of room.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #699923

thank god kieth can't connect to the servers right now.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #699926

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:06 pm thank god kieth can't connect to the servers right now.
he can
respect (let him do his thing)
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #699931

kinnebian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:10 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:06 pm thank god kieth can't connect to the servers right now.
he can
ah fuck I can't believe spookuni did that, terry is doomed.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #699949

Can I start calling timberpoes timbertoes
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #699997

dendydoom wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:40 pm then it seems much more productive and fair to me to punish the people that cause the issue (...) it seems totally unfair to deprive innocent players of something they enjoy for something they're not responsible for.
That is a good and reasonable point. One that might even be able to persuade me if combined with something nobody's been able and willing to provide me with thus far: a reason why anyone would enjoy playing as a felinid that is not sexual nor derived from a sexual reason.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #700002

ekaterina wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:03 am
dendydoom wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:40 pm then it seems much more productive and fair to me to punish the people that cause the issue (...) it seems totally unfair to deprive innocent players of something they enjoy for something they're not responsible for.
That is a good and reasonable point. One that might even be able to persuade me if combined with something nobody's been able and willing to provide me with thus far: a reason why anyone would enjoy playing as a felinid that is not sexual nor derived from a sexual reason.
I dunno, they're cute? Why do you wear the clothes you wear? Why do you have the haircut that you do?
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700005

Riggle wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:12 am
I dunno, they're cute? Why do you wear the clothes you wear? Why do you have the haircut that you do?
The stat buffs:

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #700013

my only static since i started playing is a pink haired felinid. i'm asexual, so it is absolutely not to elicit a sexual response, because i don't feel that. i do it because i like it. it's cute. there are tropes attached to the species that i enjoy using and undermining in my rp. i like the idea that at first glance my character is the most stereotypical anime bullshit imaginable but then you meet them and they're a professional working woman in their 30s who has a degree and works on a research class space station. she just so happens to eat fish and drink milk and take naps under the radiator where it's warm and get distracted by laser pointers all while taking her job and her career seriously.

it's just a nice way to play a character that i enjoy putting time into. it is a fantastical setting, so it's enjoyable to lean into the fantastical elements and play with them. there is no sinister ulterior motive, and having played on the catgirl hugbox roleplay server for a long time, it's pretty apparent that the case is similar for almost everyone there too. if people really wanted to get horned up over 4 pixels worth of cat ears, then there is no shortage of servers where that's perfectly fine and encouraged. but they're not on those servers, they're playing here where anything more than handholding and blowing someone a kiss gets the admin erp police deployed on you before you can finish saying "dorm 4."
NSFW:
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #700014

Funnily enough I had a conversation with a maintainer about this in admin channels recently, so I'm just going to quote myself from there

"Sometimes I want the AI to kill me for fun
but I don't want to play a lizard
I'm not in the mood to powergame so no ethereal
plasmamen suck in general
and moths are right out.
and that's what we have felinids for."

Having a "human except not really" species that is specifically exempt from the protections of Asimov while also not really being alien in the way the other (actually alien lul) species is good in my eyes, it makes it much easier to take bog-standard character designs which fit best on boring humans and spice up playing them a little by removing an intentionally powerful gameplay/interaction element locked to humans.

Every Felinid static I have is a felinid explicitly to make it easier to kill them, and while they would otherwise be mostly identical if they did not have cat ears, the fact that robots would not try to kill them quite so often would make me sad.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #700019

Riggle wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:12 am Why do you wear the clothes you wear? Why do you have the haircut that you do?
I wear a red jumpsuit so that I'm easily identified as a member of security, duh. As to my hair, it's what I've had for a long time and I see no reason to change it.
Riggle wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:12 am I dunno, they're cute?
dendydoom wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:38 am i do it because i like it. it's cute.
It baffles me that someone can look at the mutant abomination that is a felinid and think it "cute", but I can accept that you somehow do.
spookuni wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:42 am Having a "human except not really" species that is specifically exempt from the protections of Asimov while also not really being alien in the way the other species [are] is good in my eyes, it makes it much easier to take bog-standard character designs which fit best on boring humans and spice up playing them a little by removing an intentionally powerful gameplay/interaction element locked to humans.
This is actually a surprisingly good answer, much better than what I had expected I might get.
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #700020

ekaterina wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:05 am I wear a red jumpsuit so that I'm easily identified as a member of security, duh. As to my hair, it's what I've had for a long time and I see no reason to change it.
See? Not all choices need to be for a specific reason, some can be arbitrary. And yes, people find different things cute. It's a big world.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #700023

felinids are for sure top 1 nonhuman species just because they are 99% of the time easy on the eyes unless they go out of their way to look obnoxious. seeing moths and lizards walk by is a huge mood debuff
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #700033

Just because something is cute, doesn't mean I inherently want to fuck it.
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700041

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:45 am
Just because something is cute, doesn't mean I inherently want to fuck it.
Some people really operate off the "you think 'x' is cute you must want to fuck it" mindset

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #700044

“someone can look cute wearing cat ears” is such an overwhelmingly mainstream opinion that a literal human with funny ears a “mutant abomination” probably makes you the weird one
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700055

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:11 am “someone can look cute wearing cat ears” is such an overwhelmingly mainstream opinion that a literal human with funny ears a “mutant abomination” probably makes you the weird one
I'm pretty sure felinid fandom would fail the "would highschool jocks bully me over it" test so hard that it's shocking to me that somebody would claim it's an overwhelmingly mainstream fandom. Maybe make some friends outside of the anime club.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700064

anime is also mainstream now, are you gonna pretend that video games are a weird niche hobby next
you’re behind the times
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #700066

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 am
Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:11 am “someone can look cute wearing cat ears” is such an overwhelmingly mainstream opinion that a literal human with funny ears a “mutant abomination” probably makes you the weird one
I'm pretty sure felinid fandom would fail the "would highschool jocks bully me over it" test so hard that it's shocking to me that somebody would claim it's an overwhelmingly mainstream fandom. Maybe make some friends outside of the anime club.
Is.... is this your measuring stick? Whether or not an imaginary jock from a late 80s/early 90s comedy flick surrounding US high schoolers would bully someone over a hobby? :honkman:

Is this the standard we go by whether something is good?
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #700068

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:25 am
Is.... is this your measuring stick? Whether or not an imaginary jock from a late 80s/early 90s comedy flick surrounding US high schoolers would bully someone over a hobby? :honkman:

you would get rammed into a school locker if you were very open about humans with cat ears that go nya and that’s just true
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #700071

saprasam wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:33 am
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:25 am

you would get rammed into a school locker if you were very open about humans with cat ears that go nya and that’s just true
What kind of literal psychopaths did you go to school with?

I went to three different high schools across three different states and never saw this kind of assault.

I feel bad for you now.
Fren256
Byond Username: Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #700093

Cringe culture ruined an entire generation.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #700097

Fren256 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:24 pm Cringe culture ruined an entire generation.
Cringe culture is in and of itself, kind of the exact thing it tries to hone in on. It's hard to sit around calling people enjoying their life's losers without looking like the biggest loser that's ever existed.

Anyone that engages with it instantly becomes someone I don't want to interact with.

People really have existed out here on the planet Earth trying to inject themselves into everyone's lives so they can force their resentful contempt driven morals and values onto others like lmao.
Hugs
conrad

Post by conrad » #700101

Misdoubtful wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:54 pm
Fren256 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:24 pm Cringe culture ruined an entire generation.
Cringe culture is in and of itself, kind of the exact thing it tries to hone in on. It's hard to sit around calling people enjoying their life's losers without looking like the biggest loser that's ever existed.

Anyone that engages with it instantly becomes someone I don't want to interact with.

People really have existed out here on the planet Earth trying to inject themselves into everyone's lives so they can force their resentful contempt driven morals and values onto others like lmao.
There just so much edginess and it makes ol'Conrad sad. The whole "cringe culture" extends to compliments and shit. Like if I compliment someone they're so alienated from being treated like a human being since that'd be "cringe" that they'll call me "cringe".

The only winning move is to belittle someone else and out insult them when *surprised_pikachu.jpeg* it turns out that belittling is actually not a nice thing to do.

We should just be nice to each other and tell each other to hydrate fr
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #700104

conrad wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:22 pm

There just so much edginess and it makes ol'Conrad sad. The whole "cringe culture" extends to compliments and shit. Like if I compliment someone they're so alienated from being treated like a human being since that'd be "cringe" that they'll call me "cringe".

The only winning move is to belittle someone else and out insult them when *surprised_pikachu.jpeg* it turns out that belittling is actually not a nice thing to do.

We should just be nice to each other and tell each other to hydrate fr
Instead generations may continue on an increasing trend of feeling like they constantly being recorded or that they could be at any moment and and have to watch everything that they say or do.
Hugs
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #700105

It's a great thing it has died down over the years. I remember mid 2010s there were a lot of "cringe compilation" videos on Youtube (furries were the main target most of the time), but now they aren't as prevalent anymore, or at least don't get the hundreds of thousands of views they used to get. I guess the folks that used to watch them grew up and thought to themselves "Yeah making fun of other people's niche hobbies is just awful, we should stop doing that".

Of course there are still remnants of this culture, this thread being a good example. What's ironic in this case is that they'd get the same treatment they preach for playing a sci fi roleplaying videogame.
Last edited by Fren256 on Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conrad wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:25 pm I want you to know that I value you as a person.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700106

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:18 am anime is also mainstream now, are you gonna pretend that video games are a weird niche hobby next
you’re behind the times
Anime is mainstream, video games are mainstream.
SS13 conversely is a weird niche game. Pretending you're a character wearing cat ears and going nyaa in SS13 is a weird niche thing. People who know about that and don't tease you about it are either similarly weird, being polite, or they simply accept you in the spirit of Mr. Rogers saying he likes you just the way you are.
I'm not saying it's good or bad but your claim it's normal is laughable. It's not. It's a game played by like 5,000 people and wouldn't even have the server capacity to be played by just about any multiple of that amount. That's one of the reasons I like the game and I won't accept your claim that it's normal.
Actually I do believe felinids in general are bad but it has nothing to do with how normal it is.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700107

I never said anything about ss13 being normal, we were talking about the concept of people with cat ears vis a vis whether people generally tend to think that they’re horrid detestable freaks or pretty cute
did you believe they were tg’s original creation?

the concept of a person with a cat’s ears is one that most people will find familiar and generally acceptable, an attitude of immediate revulsion to the concept would be abnormal
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700109

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:46 pm I never said anything about ss13 being normal, we were talking about the concept of people with cat ears vis a vis whether people generally tend to think that they’re horrid detestable freaks or pretty cute

the concept of a person with a cat’s ears is one that most people will find familiar and generally acceptable, an attitude of immediate revulsion to the concept would be abnormal
Alright go walk around in public wearing clip on cat ears then and tell me what kind of looks you get. I anticipate mixed expressions.
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #700111

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:50 pm
Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:46 pm I never said anything about ss13 being normal, we were talking about the concept of people with cat ears vis a vis whether people generally tend to think that they’re horrid detestable freaks or pretty cute

Alright go walk around in public wearing clip on cat ears then and tell me what kind of looks you get. I anticipate mixed expressions.
In the downtown area of Mexico City sometimes you'll see people in weeb cosplays and no one bats an eye. Wanna know why? Because normal people don't judge others for what they wear.
Last edited by Fren256 on Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700112

people literally would not look twice if i walked around birmingham with cat ears, you are out of touch
there’s a guy around here who busks to get money for a wedding ring and anonymises himself by wearing one of those full rubber horse heads every week
nobody would give a single shit, most people would not even notice

at most negative they would think “huh weird” and being disgusted would be extremely abnormal
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700113

Well I don't recall saying they'd be disgusted.
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #700115

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:02 pm Well I don't recall saying they'd be disgusted.
Sure because that totally isn't what you've been trying to imply:
dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 am I'm pretty sure felinid fandom would fail the "would highschool jocks bully me over it" test so hard that it's shocking to me that somebody would claim it's an overwhelmingly mainstream fandom. Maybe make some friends outside of the anime club.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700116

Fren256 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:59 pm
dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:50 pm

In the downtown area of Mexico City sometimes you'll see people in weeb cosplays and no one bats an eye. Wanna know why? Because normal people don't judge others for what they wear.
"Normal" people judge others based on what they wear all the time, that's a ridiculous claim that they don't. Why do you think the fashion industry exists? We don't walk around wearing burlap sacks for outfits.
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700117

Fren256 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:10 pm
dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:02 pm Well I don't recall saying they'd be disgusted.
Sure because that totally isn't what you've been trying to imply:
dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 am I'm pretty sure felinid fandom would fail the "would highschool jocks bully me over it" test so hard that it's shocking to me that somebody would claim it's an overwhelmingly mainstream fandom. Maybe make some friends outside of the anime club.
Yeah adults out in the world are more polite than highschool bullies and probably won't express disgust if they're not into something. Doesn't mean that they think dressing up like an anime cat is normal.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #700118

this is the post you disagreed with
if you no longer think that “damn that’s disgusting” would be the reaction to seeing a person with cat ears then we don’t disagree

normal adults do not have strong opinions about the hats of strangers
dirk_mcblade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #700119

Dammit i need someone to disagree with
Fren256

Post by Fren256 » #700120

dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:10 pm "Normal" people judge others based on what they wear all the time, that's a ridiculous claim that they don't. Why do you think the fashion industry exists? We don't walk around wearing burlap sacks for outfits.
That's cool and all but we're talking about a subculture, not an entire mainstream industry. Obviously people have different tastes and may or may not like what you wear, but if a sane person doesn't like what someone wears they won't go around saying: "Man, I fucking hate those weebs wearing their shitty costumes. They shouldn't be allowed to wear those eye sores in public."
dirk_mcblade wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:56 am Yeah adults out in the world are more polite than highschool bullies and probably won't express disgust if they're not into something. Doesn't mean that they think dressing up like an anime cat is normal.
Of course wearing a catgirl costume isn't normal, because it's not a common thing to do. However, just because it's unusual to do so doesn't mean it's inherently a bad thing.
Avid lizard player
Spoiler:
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #700122

being obnoxious about things is the easiest way to get picked on for it and it isnt specific to "felinid fandom" or whatever. Nobody will actively seek you out for something that small and if they do its not because they are athletes lol but that might just be me graduating in 2021 and not having to experience high school in the early 00s or 10s.

Edit: How the hell would highschool jocks even be able to bully you??? Just go to the Athletic Director the athletes are supposed to represent the school and
Last edited by TheLoLSwat on Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #700123

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:45 am Just because something is cute, doesn't mean I inherently want to fuck it.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:21 am Some people really operate off the "you think 'x' is cute you must want to fuck it" mindset
Did you guys just skip the entire thread page or something? Nobody made that argument. I didn't even imagine someone could think that mutant genetrash is "cute" until Riggle and dendydoom said so.
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:37 am I went to three different high schools across three different states and never saw this kind of assault.
I always found it ridiculous how various forms of media tried to trivialise literal assault and theft taking place in schools.
Fren256 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:59 pm normal people don't judge others for what they wear.
Did I really just read something so absolutely ridiculous and so out of touch? What you wear is one of the primary sources of judgement. What people may not do anymore is verbalise that judgement, especially in your presence, but they're certainly judging you for what you wear, consciously or otherwise, in their own heads.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #700127

for the record the only people i've seen do the nya thing are doing it to mess with people who have a kneejerk hatred of seeing a felinid. it is funny to mess with people who are that sensitive over it. or to undermine people's expectations when they have such a poor initial opinion of what you're going to be like.

if someone does it unironically then i will be there right with you with my silly little cat ears pushing them into a locker just before math class.
NSFW:
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #700148

i imagine this entire discussion was started because of my thread but you will have to pay me a million and three dollars to read opinions about Cat Boys and Girls. they just don’t give me the same chuckle as stupid fucking bug eyed giant moths walking around or lizards who have 2 brain cells whose name is like “Skibids-The-Toilet”, or damn even walking lightbulbs or bone men with a purple fungi infection who have a habit of bursting into flames - the joke of felinids is… cat? really? that’s it?
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #700150

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:42 pm i imagine this entire discussion was started because of my thread but you will have to pay me a million and three dollars to read opinions about Cat Boys and Girls. they just don’t give me the same chuckle as stupid fucking bug eyed giant moths walking around or lizards who have 2 brain cells whose name is like “Skibids-The-Toilet”, or damn even walking lightbulbs or bone men with a purple fungi infection who have a habit of bursting into flames - the joke of felinids is… cat? really? that’s it?
Sinful started it all, no one has even mentioned your thread.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #700152

👍
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #700249

iwishforducks wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:42 pm the joke of felinids is… cat? really? that’s it?
The joke of moths is... moth? really? that's it?
RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #700255

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:37 am
iwishforducks wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:42 pm the joke of felinids is… cat? really? that’s it?
The joke of moths is... moth? really? that's it?
The joke of humans is... somewhat less hairy apes? really? that's it?
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #700263

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:04 am The joke of humans is... somewhat less hairy apes? really? that's it?
This gave me an idea for a species that would be a thousand times more interesting than felinids. Diogenes' featherless bipeds.
conrad

Post by conrad » #700267

YOOOOOO EIGHT PAGES FIUUJÎUJUUUUYGVCCKKKKKO
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #700281

Jacquerel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:00 pm people literally would not look twice if i walked around birmingham with cat ears, you are out of touch
there’s a guy around here who busks to get money for a wedding ring and anonymises himself by wearing one of those full rubber horse heads every week
nobody would give a single shit, most people would not even notice

at most negative they would think “huh weird” and being disgusted would be extremely abnormal
>Entertainer wears something eye-catching
Wow you're right that is 100% the same as going grocery shopping in a gimp suit.
Image Image