Deadeagle
Byond Username: Deadeagle

[Cheshify] Deadeagle - Temp Ban and Note

Post by Deadeagle » #703653

BYOND account: Deadeagle
Character name: Tate Brier
Ban type: Server
Ban length: 7 days
Ban Reason: "In an external Discord with friends, was a spectator to numerous instances of metacomms. Evidence gathered suggests they engaged in some of these discussions knowing it was metacomms."
Time ban was placed: 7 days
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 214015
Evidence provided after a request:
Figure 1.png
Figure 2.png
Your side of the story:
So far as I can possibly remember: I was never in that Discord to metacomm, or for an in game advantage. I did not engage in discussions of such, and what I was talking about in the pictures was completely irrelevant to the other, rule infringing content. I did not act on any information I had seen there, and I never shared any in round information. With that said, here's the rest of the story.

I left the Discord server in question less than a month after the events in the included pictures. The timestamp for Figure 1. dates itself to December 1, 2022. From checking some DMs, I had left on December 23, 2022. I left specifically because I was bothered by certain things, specifically xPokee. Furthermore, in both pictures, I was talking about something completely off topic. In Figure 1, I was talking about a previous TG round, since I failed to find an associated log near the time of posting, but it was around the time that I was frustrated how people acted when interacting with chefs and the kitchen. In Figure 2, I recall it being a joke about character height not being very important. From trying to find the context, Figure 1 did not even seem to be related to TG, and it appeared to be promptly pointed to the correct avenues of communication.

For transparency, since it is quite far in the future from the incidents in question: I rejoined that server, reluctantly, in order to watch anime and movies together, because someone mentioned they were having a watch party, and said there when I asked where. Similarly from before, checking DMs, I was in there for a grand total of 2 weeks, from April 19 to May 4. So far as I remember, during that period, I only really came in to watch and discuss streamed media. At this point I am quite confident I was not paying much attention aside from what I came there for, and I generally avoided interacting with people like xpokee, vecter, and vaporwhisp, because they made me uncomfortable.

I am in a lot of Discord servers. Every single one of those servers is also muted - instead, I check my inbox on occasion. With that in mind, confirming whether something that I was not 100% involved with was a major rule infraction isn't something I do, and I wouldn't expect anybody except for active admins to do so, if only for the fact that they'd be trained and involved in the work at the same time. Admins will see more ahelps in 10 minutes than most players will see in their entire lifetime. I think that difference in perspective, experience, and context is important. It strikes me as too harsh to lay a ban on me for talking about completely different topics, over something I remembered so little of that it took me multiple days to gather my thoughts on, and mentally prepare to share.

Why you think you should be unbanned:
Considering all the above, I do not think I am guilty of what I'm charged with. I was talking about completely different topics from the other people included in the images, and otherwise do not recall ever engaging in behaviour that would break the rules, unless failing to notice a problem would count as a punishable offense.

Anything else we should know: It took me this long to post my appeal, because this situation was dropped on me by surprise, with no communication. I took my time to try and work out what had happened, and overcome the slew of negative emotions or anxiety related to it. So if it seems petty to appeal with so little time on the ban itself, it's because I used the time to try and be diligent, and after consideration, still think it's unjust. The time is not my main concern - I'm concerned that the note unfairly represents my situation, and will be referred when looking at me in the future.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Re: [Cheshify] Deadeagle - Temp Ban and Note

Post by TheBibleMelts » #703661

as i understand things, you were a part of the initial investigation which didn't yield anything due to the lack of the logs that we'd been given today, and while you didn't utilize or engage in the round information shared during that time, you were still knowingly present for it being posted in the screenshots above. we did recognize your lack of direct involvement in the metacomms by not applying one of the harsher bans compared to others, more of a 'lie with dogs, wake up with fleas' type of warning for you.

it seems like, for one reason or another, you'd chosen to wisely stop hanging out with that group - and so the note shouldn't be invoked or held against you unless such an extremely specific serious of events like this repeats again in the future.

if the intent of this appeal is to adjust the wording of the note, i am open to that and can run it by the others to see if it can be customized to represent an increased amount of context regarding some new information provided in this appeal itself.
Deadeagle

Post by Deadeagle » #703818

TheBibleMelts wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:53 am if the intent of this appeal is to adjust the wording of the note, i am open to that and can run it by the others to see if it can be customized to represent an increased amount of context regarding some new information provided in this appeal itself.
I thought this wouldn't need clarification, but in hindsight I may have worded it poorly. To put it simply, I only do not care about the time in the most literal sense. Its not the end of the world if I can't play for a week, obviously. However, the ban is attached to a ban reason (the note), and I fundamentally disagree with the ban reason, which is why I am arguing against it. If the note were edited, then the punishment that followed would have to be considered alongside it, since it was based on the original reason.

I do not agree with the ban reason, and it should logically follow that I do not agree with the ban itself.
Deadeagle

Post by Deadeagle » #703822

Related to the ban: I'd like to say that I think both images were rather over censored. In particular the second one, due to it having all timestamps completely removed, making it significantly harder for me to verify the context in a game log. I also pretty heavily suspect that the first image is missing some additional context but I won't dig unless someone wants to confirm that. I assume that names were mostly uniformly censored, so not to make them identifiable via length for example, but given that I asked Cheshify for additional context and received no reply, I assume that I got an unfairly censored version of the evidence, regardless of intent.

This was something basically impossible to remember off hand, since it was 10 months ago. It was significantly harder for me to get my bearings as a result, for something that could have been easily resolved if we got to actually talk.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #703910

TheBibleMelts wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:53 am we did recognize your lack of direct involvement in the metacomms by not applying one of the harsher bans compared to others, more of a 'lie with dogs, wake up with fleas' type of warning for you.
i don't think anybody on the team is interested in budging on this being the core of why the note and ban was applied, and my offer to you stands to adjust the context listed in the note itself - but otherwise, i'm going to be denying anything else you're trying to appeal here. the logs you were given were dated december 4th, of '22.

did some scrubby diving on one of those screenshots and it looks like this was the round - https://scrubby.melonmesa.com/round/195 ... e=game.txt - regardless if you were playing in that one or not, this does show you were knowingly active and saw things that you knew were current-round reveals. i think this was a private DM chat, but unless you can show me that you peaced the fuck out immediately upon realizing the type of crew you were brushing elbows with here, i am even less inclined to change anything about the ban. here's the linkups to the round vs the time these things were shared.

03:38:55 SAY Noobsky Boi/(Ruben Stephenson) "Marianne, you already have like, 8 wives." (178, 116, 4)

aaand

04:27:46 SAY Noobsky Boi/(Ruben Stephenson) "Oh no, they found Marianne's first wife." (165, 124, 4) Mech Bay

i spent the better part of an hour making sure these times lined up with actual rounds to make 100% sure you weren't being falsely held accountable for being present around IC in OOC - and am pretty satisfied with what action was taken regarding your ban and note in relation to your part in this whole ordeal. to break down the note -

Code: Select all

In an external Discord with friends, was a spectator to numerous instances of metacomms.
yup, the above is enough for this part to stick pretty firmly.

Code: Select all

Evidence gathered suggests they engaged in some of these discussions knowing it was metacomms."
now this is the only part i am willing to adjust considering our lack of logs to the private discord DM's not revealing you engaging with this information, only being immediately present for it. that said, i think suggests is a key word in this part of the note, as it only implies the extreme likelihood that you engaged in these things - which, i feel in conjunction with the fact this group was already lying to the team about these things happening in the first place over the course of almost a year, is a very reasonable suggestion to make without the full scope of the conversations shared in these DM's.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #704433

Hey gamer, this ban ends in like 24 hours and no response has been posted. I'll give you a few more days to respond and see if you want to escalate this further, otherwise we'll call it resolved.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #704776

alright, i'm going to call this resolved with a denial on my end. it'll be locked in 24 hours, and shuffled along to resolved in 48.