Top Gimmicks All Time

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Top Gimmicks All Time

Post by DrAmazing343 » #707761

I just played one of my favorite rounds ever as Snake Plisskin, which is to say I took elements from MGS2, MGS3, AND MGSV in a very time-defying schizoid way to make an incredibly fun round.
I'm very proud of how it turned out, from having people help me get gear (OSP!) to an Engineer posing as a FOXHOUND forward scout!
My idea going into the round was to truly be like Snake; that meant proper gear (Theater autodrobe for my "sneaking suit,) cardboard boxes from botany, a non-lethal approach, and total or totally comedic stealth whenever possible.
I completed literally all of my goals by the end of the round, garnering support from many crewmembers to get a guide to the Vault's wires, several box-evasions from passing Sec and Command, and then eventually, I made it inside!
When I got inside, I took the secret documents from the file cabinet, and photocopied them in the library before putting them back in the vault.
Hilariously enough, I also got a photo of the Station Blueprints because I took the photographer perk. I sent a message back to Otacon...
It was far from undercover, as before long, I found myself taking up arms ALONGSIDE the crew I was supposed to be stealthing through!
It wasn't the closest fight with a blob ever, but it was thematic, and helped rouse support.
By the end of the round, when the shuttle was called, the HoP had been uncovered as an Internal Affairs traitor and was thoroughly lynched. Pirates were attacking, and had declined the offer to take Lady Penelope Dreadful's hand in marriage.
Overall, it was a total shit-show. What better time for some sort of filthy shapeshifter to assume the identity of the late Head of Security? And thus, in what may be my favorite announcement to ever hear...
The Captain herself recruited me as a mercenary! By the time the shuttle departed, however, the perp had already been dealt with. While a little anticlimactic, we had almost the entire crew alive on the shuttle, and we extracted safely.
That isn't to say, of course, that the flight had no bumps. I noticed one of the people in sec gear had an ID identifying them as a Private Military Contractor... which could only mean one thing. I had to hold them up for information on my operation!
And thus, ended one of my favorite rounds EVER. It was absolutely fantastic, a complete and total victory both in gimmick and in just being REALLY fun!

Now, I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say about their favorite rounds! I think the stories that come from this game are the absolutely best part of it, and I really enjoy sharing them.
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Re: Top Gimmicks All Time

Post by BlueMemesauce » #707763

my favorite gimmick is setting up a toll road in the primary hallway but this was on terry so people kept bombing it because they didnt want to pay tolls
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #707768

BlueMemesauce wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:57 am my favorite gimmick is setting up a toll road in the primary hallway but this was on terry so people kept bombing it because they didnt want to pay tolls
Sounds similar to a Papers, Please! gimmick I want to do as HoP! Also sounds like it's begging to be bombed, even if it's funny as hell. Maybe even especially so, actually. Just like how Space Court is really fun, but also is BEGGING for a good maxcap or chem nade or three
Walter brought back Crack.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #707769

DrAmazing343 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:22 am
BlueMemesauce wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:57 am my favorite gimmick is setting up a toll road in the primary hallway but this was on terry so people kept bombing it because they didnt want to pay tolls
Sounds similar to a Papers, Please! gimmick I want to do as HoP! Also sounds like it's begging to be bombed, even if it's funny as hell. Maybe even especially so, actually. Just like how Space Court is really fun, but also is BEGGING for a good maxcap or chem nade or three
On Tram, the HoP can basically force new arrivals through their line as a checkpoint.

Assistants and engineers might have a maintenance door they can use to bypass, I can't remember.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #707770

zxaber wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:30 am
DrAmazing343 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:22 am
On Tram, the HoP can basically force new arrivals through their line as a checkpoint.

Assistants and engineers might have a maintenance door they can use to bypass, I can't remember.
It does feel like it'd take the least modification to do so, yeah! I really like the idea as a gimmick. Take ID, examine, pass back, let through. Maybe shake 'em down for some creds or the admins have some fun and send in a few people sneaking in contraband or who have cardboard ID's. More fun with manifest fuckery, too. There's many ways to go about it! I like it!
Walter brought back Crack.
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #707772

I miss Snake Plissken, he doesn't play much anymore
help
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #707795

Papers, please HoP is so much fun. It was brilliant back when people actually requested ID changes and you could make them go round the line several times. "Oh this form doesn't have a HoP stamp, back of the line for you!"
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #707804

WineAllWine wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:00 am Papers, please HoP is so much fun. It was brilliant back when people actually requested ID changes and you could make them go round the line several times. "Oh this form doesn't have a HoP stamp, back of the line for you!"
The “Form Request Form” is an amazing tool for this gimmick
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #707806

WineAllWine wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:00 am Papers, please HoP is so much fun. It was brilliant back when people actually requested ID changes and you could make them go round the line several times. "Oh this form doesn't have a HoP stamp, back of the line for you!"
I don't get why people have such an irrational hatred for paperwork, as long as it isn't taken to the extreme (e.g. requiring the form to be stamped by the QM when there isn't actually a QM). If you don't know what to write down on the form just make shit up. It won't come back to bite you like it would in real life.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #707807

GPeckman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:08 pm
I don't get why people have such an irrational hatred for paperwork, as long as it isn't taken to the extreme (e.g. requiring the form to be stamped by the QM when there isn't actually a QM). If you don't know what to write down on the form just make shit up. It won't come back to bite you like it would in real life.
no the real fun is taking it to the extreme. If there's no QM they'll have to fill out form DX-199-b "Absence of head form". Obviously this requires a HoP stamp to be valid - NY-1a "HoP stamp request form". Make sure to take a ticket between submitting forms!
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #707808

WineAllWine wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:11 pm
GPeckman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:08 pm
no the real fun is taking it to the extreme. If there's no QM they'll have to fill out form DX-199-b "Absence of head form". Obviously this requires a HoP stamp to be valid - NY-1a "HoP stamp request form". Make sure to take a ticket between submitting forms!
If the HoP is making outright impossible to get access/job changes, then I'd consider it just as bad as the HoP giving themselves sec access and running off to validhunt instead of doing their job.