Savage Security Speedster Sabotaged by Scheming Shotgun scheme

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Savage Security Speedster Sabotaged by Scheming Shotgun scheme

Post by Blacklist897 » #717331

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35552
Ban itself seems bullshit but jeff has hit that time of note critical mass
if Manny loses its most active hos main then someone will have to fill the gap and I really don't want to play hos more
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Re: Savage Security Speedster Sabotaged by Scheming Shotgun scheme

Post by conrad » #717512

Jezzared wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:36 pm You're right, players won't go to headmins or MSO if they think theyre in on it. They'll just leave. And I don't want that for us.
If they think this supposed stink rises up to the host and headmins obviously they'll leave. I wonder what makes them think other servers are gonna be different.

Maybe if they're THAT worried, then SS13 isn't the sort of game they'll enjoy.

There's no secret admin kabal that bows to the grace of the all-knowing host and his headmins. It's just a multiplayer game bro lmao
Last edited by conrad on Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #717514

I pray to my shrine to MSO every night
Jezzared
Byond Username: Jezzared

Post by Jezzared » #717517

conrad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:40 pm There's no secret admin kabal that bows to the grace of the all-knowing host and his headmins. It's just a multiplayer game bro lmao
I don't think that there is. You're the one who brought the whole thing up. All I'm saying is that this ban has kicked the hornets nest, and so handling it with tact is a better course of action than saying "trust me bro" when part of the ban that doesn't sit right with people is lorwp dragging the admin team into it by proxy of things like "they're just telling me to ban you" and "we don't like you here". Lorwp has implicated more than just themselves in the distrust by doing this, and so handling that with delicacy is better for the health of the discussion and for player-admin relations as a whole.

I'm not a conspiracy nut. Largely I'm pro-jeff and pro-admins and just want yall to not get dragged down because of poor word choice or tact because I think we can all come to a respectable conclusion about this in the end. I just don't want the path there to get messy and heated.
AsbestosSniffer
Byond Username: The Asbestos Sniffer

Post by AsbestosSniffer » #717520

Well, guess that's that then. I can foresee this thread having a long and prosperous future.
Observer main. Otherwise I play Lucy Trelawney on Manuel.
conrad

Post by conrad » #717522

Jezzared wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 pm You're the one who brought the whole thing up.
Ye ye you're right, I just feel the need to try and reiterate that (seems I'm not the only one that does) 'cos all it takes is for someone to use the wrong/less savoury words for people who inexplicably still play here despite hating the entire admin team as this one evil organisation hellbent on ruining their fun (yes, I'm talking about you in the peanut gallery audience reading this, yes you specifically, no not you, the pretty one) to come out of the woodwork and spill vitriol about every person with a coloured name. Calling this exercise silly is just par for the course I feel.
Jezzared wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 pm All I'm saying is that this ban has kicked the hornets nest, and so handling it with tact is a better course of action than saying "trust me bro" when part of the ban that doesn't sit right with people is lorwp dragging the admin team into it by proxy of things like "they're just telling me to ban you" and "we don't like you here". Lorwp has implicated more than just themselves in the distrust by doing this, and so handling that with delicacy is better for the health of the discussion and for player-admin relations as a whole.
I sorta skimmed through the ban's thread and the nut, so I didn't see this. I kinda focused on the "hurr durr admin team bad" part. If what you're saying is true then yeah it's pretty bad, and I personally trust the current head administration to steer this in the right direction, bollockings provided as needed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the peanut doesn't matter and we shouldn't get mad at each other over a ban.

E: nevermind ban lifted horray
Jezzared wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 pm I'm not a conspiracy nut. Largely I'm pro-jeff and pro-admins and just want yall to not get dragged down because of poor word choice or tact because I think we can all come to a respectable conclusion about this in the end. I just don't want the path there to get messy and heated.
Fam I'm with you 100% here ong fr fr
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #717523

basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything

MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Jezzared

Post by Jezzared » #717525

Jezzared wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:37 pm Dendy based as always.
conrad

Post by conrad » #717526

lmao sigged for obvious reasons
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #717527

In hindsight, it really was pretty bad of a ban. A lot of nuance was missed and we forgot that we shouldn't ban for non-ideality of handling things, only outright stupidity.
Something we forget is that players don't play perfectly.
Yes, Jeff has a lot of non-lethal tools, but that doesn't matter much if he shot the person to crit just from two shotgun blasts and allowed him to be revived from crit (not even death)
We also tend to forget that people don't mentally calculate health, and we shouldn't expect people to know how much rubber bullets deal when the use was for stunning.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #717529

E: lorwp lifted the ban, the system works
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #717532

we have our first lolcow ban of 2024
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #717533

TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 pm we have our first lolcow ban of 2024
Incorrect.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #717534

Vekter wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:28 pm
Incorrect.
you make a good point, which is why i remembered to specify that this is the first lolcow ban, and not the first lolcow ban appeal. Both are fun but lolcow bans are magnitudes more entertaining than a dogpile on someone who should really just be tossed out (which are the more common ban appeals by lolcows aka lolcow ban appeals)
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #717535

MothNyan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:04 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:03 pm I can't post the logs for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that other conversations were had about the ban in general and that Sight's comment likely didn't play into why the ban was placed. Everyone pretty much immediately recognized it as a joke.
That is not as reassuring as you think it is.
We really can't to preserve secrecy into discussions between admins, so we're really sorry we can't reassure you of this.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
conrad

Post by conrad » #717536

TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:36 pm
Incorrect.
you make a good point, which is why i remembered to specify that this is the first lolcow ban, and not the first lolcow ban appeal. Both are fun but lolcow bans are magnitudes more entertaining than a dogpile on someone who should really just be tossed out (which are the more common ban appeals by lolcows aka lolcow ban appeals)

Yeah but your name literally has lol in it and your character is a cow so you have a bias.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #717537

MothNyan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:27 pm It does not inspire confidence when the very first post on this thread is;
Sightld2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:06 am My honest, live reaction
[2597-13-56 00:53:18.008] GAME-INCOMPAT: ADMINPRIVATE: ASAY: sightid2/(Terrabyte) "he used a shotgun, we finally got him."
Regardless if it was posted as a joke or not.
Jezzared wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:12 pm Vekter, I love both you and Sight.

"I can vouch that nobody took this joke about banning a guy who got banned seriously, no you cant see the logs, take my word as truth." Is not a great look for the admin team when part of the discontent here is that the admin team might not be able to be trusted.
It was a joke. The log is dated to the year Two thousand five hundred and ninety seven. Dated to the time BOOBIES spelled backwards. It says Game-INCOMPAT. Sightid2 is not my ckey. It wouldn't be possible for me to be adminned as Terrabyte given that it's a silicon role. It's not even a real but edited log, I wrote it in discord last night. I had first posted that the night before in response to this:
image_2024-01-05_153856228.png
But I get that that context doesn't show. Still, the title of his ban appeal references an Anti-Shotgun Mafia, and I was ribbing off that as well.

If you think it was an insensitive or in poor taste, that's fine, I'm sorry.

But I was joking about this to the guy we're actually talking about and I thought he seemed fine with them as seen here:
image_2024-01-05_154250640.png
If you weren't Jupiter, my bad.
Last edited by Sightld2 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #717538

he used a shotgun, we got him.
Jezzared

Post by Jezzared » #717539

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:46 pm snip
It seemed immensely out of character for it NOT to be a joke. All that data is garbage data to me typically so my brain (and probably most other peoples) just filtered it out.

[Insert Dark Souls Humanity Restored Gif here]
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #717540

oranges wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:51 pm he used a shotgun, we got him.
I used the shotgun. You know why? Cause the shot gun doesn’t miss: and unlike the shitty taser it stops a criminal in their tracks in two hits. Bang: bang: and they’re fucking done. I use four shots just to make damn sure. Because: once again: I’m not there to coddle a buncha criminal scum sucking *******: I’m there to 1) Survive the fucking round. 2) Guard the armory. So you can absolutely get fucked. If I get unbanned: which I won’t: you can guarantee I will continue to use the shotgun to apprehend criminals. Because it’s quick: clean and effective as fuck. Why in the seven hells would I fuck around with the disabler shots: which take half a clip just to bring someone down: or with the tazer bolts which are slow as balls: impossible to aim and do about next to jack shit: fuck all. The shotgun is the superior law enforcement weapon. Because it stops crime. And it stops crime by reducing the number of criminals roaming the fucking halls.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #717541

Hey space-fellows, it's your citrusy comrade oranges here, one-third of the unholy trinity of game designers over at TGStation. Today, let's talk about the absolute absurdity that is the shotgun in our spacelicious masterpiece.

Now, imagine you're cruising through the vast vacuum of space, right? Everything's all high-tech and futuristic, and what do we decide to arm our crew with? Shotguns! Yes, because when I think of space station defense, I definitely picture a grizzled janitor with a double-barreled blaster, ready to take on hostile alien life forms.

I get it, it's iconic and all. Shotguns are like the mullets of weaponry – business in the front, party in the back. But seriously, do you really think in the far-flung future, we'd still be relying on 19th-century Wild West technology to defend our floating metal can of science?

Picture this: You're a brilliant scientist, a mastermind of technological wonders, and suddenly, an alien menace breaches your pristine laboratory. What's your defense? A shotgun! Yes, because apparently, pellets and gunpowder are the pinnacle of intergalactic security measures.

And let's not forget the logistics here. We're on a space station, people! Do you know how messy it is to clean up after a shotgun blast? It's not like we have space Roombas floating around to suck up the shell casings and alien goo. No, it's the poor janitor, armed with his trusty mop, dealing with the aftermath of space-buckshot mayhem.

"But oranges," you say, "it's just a game, lighten up!" Well, my fellow spacefarers, that's where you're wrong. Games are a reflection of reality – a warped, exaggerated, and sometimes downright nonsensical reflection, but a reflection nonetheless. What kind of message are we sending to future generations when we teach them that shotguns are the epitome of space defense?

So, dear players, the next time you pick up that shotgun in TGStation, just remember: oranges is watching, and he's silently judging your questionable taste in intergalactic weaponry. Let's aim for the stars, not scattergun pellets.
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #717542

conrad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:36 pm
Incorrect.

Yeah but your name literally has lol in it so you have a bias.
yeah i know a thing or two about lolcows which is why i was able to declare the first lolcow ban for the new year :D
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #717543

Lisa wheres the nanotrasen wrestling league i want to see Kobe beat the shit out of more fools who dare oppose him
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Dawnseer
Byond Username: Dawnseer

Post by Dawnseer » #717545

Shotguns are indeed what I expect, and hope to defend space stations with. The patron saint of less-than-lethal, Doomguy would want me to.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #717546

how is this at 175 posts already

Anyways this can easily be solved by having shotguns 2 shot people again and entirely removing the stamina damage shells. That way, there's no debate about intent.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
MothNyan
Byond Username: Moffifuwa

Post by MothNyan » #717547

dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:36 pm i'm not going to insinuate that people shouldn't vent, because they should and it's why we have open discussions like this, but i do feel like it's worth considering what's actually productive in the end. using a steamroller to address jeff and his note history is unfair because it disregards nuance, and i would say the same about tearing down manuel and every admin because of a ban that is in the early stages of being appealed and investigated. save some torches and pitchforks for the conclusion.
I'm apologize for the strong words I shared earlier, and I agree it's not fair to blanket all admins together as untrustworthy. We're all humans who are not infallible to mistakes or having our intentions misread. The implications of an admin saying that they've talked with other admins behind the scenes and then saying "we don't want you here", was rather concerning to me and honestly along with certain experiences with admins that still give me discomfort when I think back on them; I couldn't help but feel pretty emotional when I wrote my original comment too. I have also had many amazing experiences with admins which I did not acknowledge, and again; I'm sorry.
conrad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:31 pm I don't understand the whole "I don't trust the admin team" rigmarole. Who do you expect is gonna fix that? The headmins? Those are admins too. Even when kieth was ellected, he was an admin and took most of his decisions in tandem with the overall objectives of the admin team.
conrad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:40 pm If they think this supposed stink rises up to the host and headmins obviously they'll leave. I wonder what makes them think other servers are gonna be different.
Maybe if they're THAT worried, then SS13 isn't the sort of game they'll enjoy.
I understand that there are many players that get very heated about the idea of admins yet continue to play the game while continuing about their distaste, and that it must be difficult as admins to have to be dragged through the mud like that. Typically the hope would be that people (both admins and players) could self reflect and find ways to compromise, but not everyone is capable of doing so either. Personally, due to my sensitivity and feeling upset to the point that I have gotten nightmares over an event I have been wondering if SS13 is really a game for me too. I have friends on Manuel and I don't particularly have fun on other servers because it's not the same people or atmosphere - if I give up on Manuel I would simply move on to other games. Something I still consider as I don't want to bother people with my emotions.
Archie700 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:40 pm We really can't to preserve secrecy into discussions between admins, so we're really sorry we can't reassure you of this.
I appreciate it, I understand some degree of secrecy is necessary.
Sightld2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:46 pm It was a joke. The log is dated to the year Two thousand five hundred and ninety seven. Dated to the time BOOBIES spelled backwards. It says Game-INCOMPAT. Sightid2 is not my ckey. It wouldn't be possible for me to be adminned as Terrabyte given that it's a silicon role. It's not even a real but edited log, I wrote it in discord last night.
Honestly it's funnier in hindsight now that I know the full context, and I want to also apologize to you that it came off as if I was shit-talking about you. I have no problems with you as an admin and I believe I've only really seen good things from you - I want you to know that it wasn't a personal vendetta against you when I shared my discomfort earlier and I took the joke the wrong way.
At the time I felt uncomfortable because it gave the impression that you were just waiting for a moment to lynch Jeff lol, which sounds absolutely silly honestly. I also do love the shotgun copypasta, it's pretty iconic.
Jezzared wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:30 pm Just as Vekter doesn't like Sight being "attacked", I don't much appreciate Moth being "attacked" like this. I've only ever seen them be a positive and kind person and to hear that they are this scared of current admins and then have an admin accuse them of slander and "shittalking" while describing their discomfort sits very poorly with me.
Thank you.

I'm glad things are resolved now.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #717550

MothNyan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:02 pm
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:36 pm i'm not going to insinuate that people shouldn't vent, because they should and it's why we have open discussions like this, but i do feel like it's worth considering what's actually productive in the end. using a steamroller to address jeff and his note history is unfair because it disregards nuance, and i would say the same about tearing down manuel and every admin because of a ban that is in the early stages of being appealed and investigated. save some torches and pitchforks for the conclusion.
I'm apologize for the strong words I shared earlier, and I agree it's not fair to blanket all admins together as untrustworthy. We're all humans who are not infallible to mistakes or having our intentions misread. The implications of an admin saying that they've talked with other admins behind the scenes and then saying "we don't want you here", was rather concerning to me and honestly along with certain experiences with admins that still give me discomfort when I think back on them; I couldn't help but feel pretty emotional when I wrote my original comment too. I have also had many amazing experiences with admins which I did not acknowledge, and again; I'm sorry.
thanks for your post and kind words. there really is no apology necessary; i think it's entirely fair to be critical of making a decision, then when questioned about its reasoning referring to a secret conversation that is going on in the background.

we have internal discussions about almost every ban that's in the process of being made, because the game is so complicated that depending on a single person's interpretation isn't very reliable. but when we put our name down on a note or ban, it's ours, and we are the ones that have to answer for its reasoning. this is part of the high level of trust and responsibility that's placed on us.

sometimes bad bans just happen. admins run out of patience or goodwill, they might have been singlehandedly dealing with a stressful round or juggling a bunch of tickets or any number of things. it's important that we keep each other in check in those moments and have faith in the systems that are in place to ensure that they're investigated properly and fairly. equally i would not expect bans to be lifted on the merit of public response alone either. it is actually quite easy to drum up people into a frenzy over something. but the discussions are valuable and should not be dismissed. we should deal with things by the content of people's analysis and the facts of the matter, not by opening the windows of the court and listening to how much yelling is going on outside.

finally (sorry for this being a novel), for what it's worth, i think it wouldn't be a waste of time to consider reaching out to any admins you trust to maybe discuss the event that made you uncomfortable. i have faith that whoever ran that event wouldn't have intended to have made you feel that way, but it doesn't change that reality and it might be a conversation worth having. but this is entirely up to you, and i'm really sorry to hear that you went through that.
NSFW:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #717554

Cheshify wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 pm Anyways this can easily be solved by having shotguns 2 shot people again and entirely removing the stamina damage shells. That way, there's no debate about intent.
I'm admitting to a bit of lack of info here because I honestly thought this was about beanbag slugs (the ones we give to the bar) and got real mad about this post.

But looking at it they're reasonably comparable. same amount of stam (five out of six shots landing) leads to like 5 more points of brute with shells but like, that's nothin.
These are less then lethal weapons. They might BE lethal if used with that kind of intention, and removing the brute just to make the bartender able to crowd control without commiting lethals is fuckin dumb man.

So no, we aren't removin em (tho I admit to thinking we only really need these or beanbags, not both). I feel quite strongly that you need to develop better policy on this, cause your current one is real dumb.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #717555

oranges wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 pm Hey space-fellows, it's your citrusy comrade oranges here, one-third of the unholy trinity of game designers over at TGStation. Today, let's talk about the absolute absurdity that is the shotgun in our spacelicious masterpiece.

Now, imagine you're cruising through the vast vacuum of space, right? Everything's all high-tech and futuristic, and what do we decide to arm our crew with? Shotguns! Yes, because when I think of space station defense, I definitely picture a grizzled janitor with a double-barreled blaster, ready to take on hostile alien life forms.

I get it, it's iconic and all. Shotguns are like the mullets of weaponry – business in the front, party in the back. But seriously, do you really think in the far-flung future, we'd still be relying on 19th-century Wild West technology to defend our floating metal can of science?

Picture this: You're a brilliant scientist, a mastermind of technological wonders, and suddenly, an alien menace breaches your pristine laboratory. What's your defense? A shotgun! Yes, because apparently, pellets and gunpowder are the pinnacle of intergalactic security measures.

And let's not forget the logistics here. We're on a space station, people! Do you know how messy it is to clean up after a shotgun blast? It's not like we have space Roombas floating around to suck up the shell casings and alien goo. No, it's the poor janitor, armed with his trusty mop, dealing with the aftermath of space-buckshot mayhem.

"But oranges," you say, "it's just a game, lighten up!" Well, my fellow spacefarers, that's where you're wrong. Games are a reflection of reality – a warped, exaggerated, and sometimes downright nonsensical reflection, but a reflection nonetheless. What kind of message are we sending to future generations when we teach them that shotguns are the epitome of space defense?

So, dear players, the next time you pick up that shotgun in TGStation, just remember: oranges is watching, and he's silently judging your questionable taste in intergalactic weaponry. Let's aim for the stars, not scattergun pellets.
Funny but also consider: Shotgun cool.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #717556

oranges wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 pm And let's not forget the logistics here. We're on a space station, people! Do you know how messy it is to clean up after a shotgun blast? It's not like we have space Roombas floating around to suck up the shell casings and alien goo. No, it's the poor janitor, armed with his trusty mop, dealing with the aftermath of space-buckshot mayhem.
And that's why we have laser guns. The same weapons that can't be reloaded if the power happens to go out. What were you saying about logistics again?

I'm being flippant here, but the whole "it doesn't make sense to have shotguns on a space station" thing shouldn't be any more of an issue than "the way these laser guns are designed (20 or so shots maximum, then maybe 30 seconds of downtime in a stock recharger) makes no sense."
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #717557

Another thread resolved by the banning admin suddenly realising they actually were wrong all along and subconsciously knew they were making a mistake and hadn't properly considered it during the very long and detailed ticket or their thorough rejection in the thread which they scoured and edited logs for.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
JupiterJaeden
Byond Username: JupiterJaeden

Post by JupiterJaeden » #717559

Archie700 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:15 pm In hindsight, it really was pretty bad of a ban. A lot of nuance was missed and we forgot that we shouldn't ban for non-ideality of handling things, only outright stupidity.
Something we forget is that players don't play perfectly.
Yes, Jeff has a lot of non-lethal tools, but that doesn't matter much if he shot the person to crit just from two shotgun blasts and allowed him to be revived from crit (not even death)
We also tend to forget that people don't mentally calculate health, and we shouldn't expect people to know how much rubber bullets deal when the use was for stunning.
I also didn’t even realize the guy was apparently crit because he was healed out of it so fast. I would have healed him immediately if I knew, just like I healed him later when I did notice he was crit from something else.
JupiterJaeden
Byond Username: JupiterJaeden

Post by JupiterJaeden » #717560

Cheshify wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 pm how is this at 175 posts already

Anyways this can easily be solved by having shotguns 2 shot people again and entirely removing the stamina damage shells. That way, there's no debate about intent.
Cheshify with the 100% correct take
#BringBackImprovs
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #717563

he posted in the peanut, we finally got him

re-apply the ban
NSFW:
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #717565

conrad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:31 pm I don't understand the whole "I don't trust the admin team" rigmarole. Who do you expect is gonna fix that? The headmins?
I'm not going to mention anything I did because self jack off in public is cringe but I think timber did a good job during his term to work to raise player trust.

The decisions that were made had very clear reasoning- with an opportunity for back and forth a lot of the time. A lot of the decisions were very sound and a lot of my admin hating friends found a respect for him despite talking a lot of shit previously.

He seemed to always be present in the very right places and I think he did an awesome job. When it came to bans or appeals, he always was able to whip out logs and provide justification ect and be present everywhere.

At least in the groups I've been in this certainly did raise players perception of the administration as a whole and timber hasn't played for like 90000 years.

I do not think that's it's an impossible task for the headmins to positively influence perception becuz I saw it happen in real time with t-dog.

Edit: for clarity, I'm not commenting on this term or anything (I've not been active enough forums side to see what they've been doing) I just wanted to take a moment to make the comment that certainly yes, headmins can positively influence perception
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #717567

I approve of making shotguns a two shot down with LETHAL damage. I want bartenders to be WEAPONIZED.
Walter brought back Crack.
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #717569

dendydoom wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:25 am he posted in the peanut, we finally got him

re-apply the ban
He posted in it back on page 1 you fool
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #717570

DrAmazing343 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:49 am I approve of making shotguns a two shot down with LETHAL damage. I want bartenders to be WEAPONIZED.
They can already do this just make shotgun darts at an autolathe and then fill them with bacchus or something lol
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #717571

Guess 2024 won't be the year I decide to learn to be a seccie.
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #717574

Yulice wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:06 am
DrAmazing343 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:49 am I approve of making shotguns a two shot down with LETHAL damage. I want bartenders to be WEAPONIZED.
They can already do this just make shotgun darts at an autolathe and then fill them with bacchus or something lol
Yeah but shotgun darts are fucking LAME I want BUCKSHOT
Nist
Byond Username: Nist

Post by Nist » #717606

Vekter wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:19 pm
E: lorwp lifted the ban, the system works
based lowrp
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #717609

oranges wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 pm

Attachments
20221211_085338.jpg
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #717611

Glad this ban was lifted
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #717617

I didn't look at the forums for a couple days...

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #717623

Hopefully the admin takes this as a moment to reflect in not following what asay/others tell you without first having a concrete foot to stand on(which feels like what happened, a lot of "we's" in this ticket). Glad this is resolved and hope going forward it's taken as a learning experience.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #717625

shotguns should do no damage, apply a "shotgunned" wound
being shot by a shotgun while "shotgunned" causes you to die instantly

this satisfies all parties because technically the first shot does no damage so you can fire a shotgun non-lethally as long as you only do it once
iansdoor
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Iansdoor

Post by iansdoor » #717629

Jacquerel wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:54 pm

this satisfies all parties because technically the first shot does no damage so you can fire a shotgun non-lethally as long as you only do it once
I would argue for organ damage by shotguns. Particularly if they were non-lethal, since being shot by a rubber buck would knock the air out of your lungs.
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #717630

Jacquerel wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:54 pm

this is actually straight up how shotguns work in Fear and Hunger 2
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #717636

Sightld2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:15 am Well. No. The Disabler would have taken five shots, to the shotguns two. It's more comparable to a baton. Except faster. And dealt 30 damage.
I have nothing to say about the rest of your post but saying the shotgun beats the baton is crazy.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
DATAxPUNGED
Byond Username: DATAxPUNGED

Post by DATAxPUNGED » #717720

Also i just wanna say the title is impeccable, godspeed
- Brazilian Manuel Player

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #717721

kieth4 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:27 pm Hopefully the admin takes this as a moment to reflect in not following what asay/others tell you without first having a concrete foot to stand on(which feels like what happened, a lot of "we's" in this ticket). Glad this is resolved and hope going forward it's taken as a learning experience.
how u look saying this
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #717913

I can't believe how Jeff could do this. This is insane, deranged and wrong. How could he do something as indefensible like using light mode on Windows.