The BRAWLENING: Thoughts and Retrospectives

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

The BRAWLENING: Thoughts and Retrospectives

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719182

Bottom post of the previous page:

This probably would go better in some GitHub goon’s review cave but I’m a player and I want to talk to you guys so I’m putting it here.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on The Brawlening now that we’ve all had time to more or less get acquainted with it? Do you think it’s shaken up combat in a meaningful way, or is it simply a nice addition to systems? Do you hate it? If so, what GIVES?

I think The Brawlening fucking ownzones big time and I had no idea just how much I missed it until I played some downstreams that didn’t have it. A lot of the shit makes sense, but more importantly, it allows for decent tech and shakeups to normal matches where in a straight click battle you’d get your ass handed to you.

I don’t think it’s overpowered or has done too much crazy shit for me, but it’s fun, and I love to abuse it to become a bare knuckle boxing legend.

Tl;dr the brawlening owns
Walter brought back Crack.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: The BRAWLENING: Thoughts and Retrospectives

Post by Jacquerel » #719359

This alone is a far better argument. I'd like to see it based on doing combat moves on thresholds of stam damage, maybe? I.e. a shove on <30% stam would be a knockdown?
its a 50/50 when you punch then shove and when you knock someone down, the chance for it is so high that its a perma-stun and guaranteed death for the knocked down party
I feel like a lot of the things folks are commiserating over here could be addressed with a numbers tweak or a rework of the PR removing the RNG factors in favor of some other more consistent system entirely. Personally, I'd like to see how a thresholds of stamina damage+shove = knockdown sort of system would work. Like, say, 20% stamina and shoved would lead to a knockdown like a punch would with current system? It'll be interesting to see where we go from here, as long as we don't throw away the rest of the good the PR did. I like it a lot.
These are posts which prompted me to explain the actual mechanics behind what is going on, they largely seem to be based on an assumption that there is some kind of rng knockdown occuring(there is, but it's the old one we have always had) and that you would be introducing a change by making it based on stamina thesholds (you would not, that is how it works already).

I'll be honest I am also just like, super onfused about the tone this exchange is taking, the defensiveness when I am telling people how the code works is real weird.
I am legit not trying to like "get" anyone here, I am explaining how the code works because it's a combination of not obvious, not explained in game, and not even particularly easy to tell why anything is happening in the game (even if you have a 24/7 medhud it doesnt show the opponent's stamina level).
It would be almost entirely impossible to tell why anything that this change has introduced is happening just by punching someone repeatedly because the information is not displayed to you, even less so in a hectic actual-round scenario.

No idea why this has turned into an interrogation but I guess I forgot that Player's Club is a PvP enabled zone and so I guess there's a baseline assumption that any post must be an attempt to ridicule someone in some way
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #719361

nah
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #719367

i aint reading all this but sorry it happened or happy for you ig.
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719387

Jacquerel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:06 am -runescape tangentially related snip-
Yeah, PvP enabled zone is real shit. I'm glad I made the thread either way, because I hope some of the player feedback is useful, but I was hoping for a bit more positivity so we could share anecdotes and shoot the shit. Someday, perhaps.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #719398

I find it interesting that the dominant component of this discussion has been around the RNG mechanics of unarmed combat. That wasn't something that I reintroduced into the system. And I suspect what has happened here is that the whole unarmed combat system has a degree of, well, let's just call it misunderstanding and misinterpretation as to what is happening. The Toolbox Tournament featuring it prominently definitely caused a stir, even though I suspect it wasn't the Brawlening that resulted in what happened in the tournament.

It's a very soulful system, and also very obtuse. Why do you think people still think aiming for the mouth has a higher knockdown chance? (it doesn't)

Before the Brawlening, this PR by PKPenguin had defined a large portion of our unarmed combat for a bit. It's a bit messy to read, so take your time. It isn't particularly that involved, however.

I believe this was before knockdowns were no longer full stuns (as in, losing all hand use and movement). So, when it says knockdown here, I believe this is actually a hard stun. He introduced more involved accuracy mechanics, for one, and made it so that accuracy was separate from damage (you would miss on a roll of 0 our of 0-9 for humans, for clarity on how this worked). He retained critical hits being attached to damage, however. So, a max roll would result in a knockdown. For normal humans, that's a 10% probability. We have had this particular set of mechanics for about 5 years, with the mechanics around it changing the effects of a critical punch from a stun to a knockdown, as it is today. Entirely RNG.

What I introduced was the opposite of RNG. I added deterministic mechanics based around the staggered status effect (which shoves apply). Namely, if an opponent has been staggered before being punched (such as from being shoved), your punch cannot miss (but the damage still rolls between your normal values), and if they hit a damage threshold of combined brute and stamina of 40, they will be knocked down. This means you have to string shoves and punches to take advantage of this mechanic. You punch less, but you punch more reliably. That's what I introduced.

If in any instance you've landed a lucky knockdown on a few swings after having not staggered an opponent in any way, you did not actually utilize the Brawlening mechanics at all. You're using much older mechanics that I haven't altered beyond introducing more granularity. That is PKPenguin's five year old mechanics that still very much exist in the current version in the form of unarmed effectiveness. Which, for humans at a baseline, is a value of 10%. That's used as the probability for a knockdown punch, separated out from damage. Notice that it is basically the same probability as PKP's version. Baseline humans do now deal more stamina damage overall, so the raw force of unarmed attacks are higher (and less swingy), but that does not influence the RNG probability of a knockdown under normal circumstances.

The Cyberbrawlening introduced some ways to increase your unarmed effectiveness and make you more likely to get those RNG blows and suffer less of a accuracy malus from your own damage, but I feel as though fewer people engage with that content, as it is all attached to robotics. Much in the same way people avoid utilizing cybernetics, few people are looking to get their limbs upgraded to advanced cyberlimbs.

What I didn't touch in the Brawlening;
The RNG probability of grabbing: I did touch this in a PR a long time ago, but it wasn't as part of the Brawlening. That PR made it less reliable, not more reliable, because at the time the mechanics combined too strongly with shovestunning to allow someone to restrain anyone very reliably so long as they landed that shovestun. If you think currently shoestunning is too strong, it was much stronger at the time. The Brawlening did introduce a mechanic for when you have to resist. Namely, you will have to resist passive grabs if you are staggered you have taken 30 stamina damage or more. Ostensibly, the same process of shove > some other attack combination that my other changes in the Brawlening introduced. And even then, you can't just do it to anyone who isn't already fatigued (such as from having been shot by a disabler, hint hint).

Shoving: It's the same as ever, and it is as effective as ever. Whenever someone is knocked down, you shove them and they are stunned. You have no idea how much unarmed combat is focused around shovestunning and not shoving in of itself. Namely, waiting out those shovestun timers of about 3 seconds before you can re-apply the shove stun and combining other stuns while doing so. So you usually see people weave grabs and tabling during a shove stun if they don't outright cuff you off the first shovestun. Shovestunning is really the old RNG disarm stun on crack once you get good at it. The main reason I didn't touch shovestunning was because I suspected there would be a good deal of politicizing around it, and that's too annoying to bother with. I'm just trying to help pave the way towards its removal by adding more nonlethal/less-than-lethal methods of restraining people besides shovestunning. Which is what the Brawlening was about. (seriously, nervere is gone we can get rid of shovestuns now)

What Probably Happened in the Toolbox Tournament
So, some Manual players already sussed this one out, but hitting someone with a toolbox on the chest has an RNG chance of knocking you down. That probability is based on the force of the object in question. For a toolbox, that's 12%. Higher than a punch. Hitting someone in the head does not cause this knockdown. Instead, it causes brain damage, and maybe a concussion. The only way to avoid these effects is to be wearing armor on the hit location of 50% or higher. AKA, riot suits. People in the tournament were not wearing riot suits.

Players were probably aiming for the head, because everyone is taught early on 'aiming at the head does more damage', even though blunt force trauma to the chest has a chance to cause a knockdown, and some kind of disabling effect is what will actually push you closer to a victory.

If a bunch of people all gang up on one person, the numbers game is a bit of a crapshoot. Even the mechanics I introduced, where the effects were reliant on hitting thresholds, are only really balanced around a 1v1. If three or even two people are beating down on someone, even if they don't shove that person to get the more reliable punches, they're probably going to get a knockdown much sooner than attacking one person at a time and not ganging up on a single individual. It doesn't matter whether they were using their fists or a toolbox; hit them enough times and aiming for the chest, they will get a knockdown. It has always been there. You just didn't know it existed and you probably weren't exploiting it enough until right this moment when you've come to discover it.
Last edited by NecromancerAnne on Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #719399

NecromancerAnne wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:33 pm (seriously, nervere is gone we can get rid of shovestuns now)
BIG MISTAKE. his web crawlers have been notified and there will be shezza drama within t-3 weeks.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #719401

TheWolfbringer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:44 pm Really unbalanced imo, it's a stun meta buff and that's crazy. Fists don't care about riot armor or a nukie hardsuit because they'll just stun through those anyway. Wallshove grab combos got a giga buff because of it. The fact that the toolbox tournament almost looked like a fistfight tournament really says it all. Should be reverted because it is ass.
This post in particular is odd. Armor has had extremely little impact on RNG mechanics as a prevention method except for blunt force hits causing a knockdown. So, even if you did get what you wanted, and the PR was reverted, you would still have the exact same problem of someone potentially getting knocked down in full nukie armor. You aren't asking for a revert, but a new feature.

Now, if what you're asking here is indeed to introduce parity with this other mechanic, and have these knockdowns respect armor as a prevent/respect riot suit knockdown protection, then I would actually agree with you. And I think that would be an excellent change you could do. I could do it if people want this to happen. I'm actually looking at a relatively similar mechanic that probably needs the same treatment.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #719404

oranges wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:56 am i aint reading all this but sorry it happened or happy for you ig.
:silentman:
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #719412

I don't think my opinion around this can ever really be changed, it takes stuff away from improvised weapons because fists are so good. Maybe this mechanic can be nerfed in the future.
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719427

TheRex9001 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:48 pm I don't think my opinion around this can ever really be changed
Lame. Improvised weapons are just as viable as before, if not moreso because there's more opportunity to stamcrit your opponents to lead into wailing on them with capitalized time with a weapon. It's fun as hell, and makes it more interactive than just fucking pixel hunting your opponent down with your toolbox. But, if your opinion can never really be changed, so be it; I just think it's a shame that so many hate seemingly all changes to combat/the way it is
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #719438

TheRex9001 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:48 pm I don't think my opinion around this can ever really be changed, it takes stuff away from improvised weapons because fists are so good. Maybe this mechanic can be nerfed in the future.
Now, before I get into it, I would like to say I'm gonna make some adjustments that I think will probably help the situation. Mostly for the sake of parity. However, let me ask you a few questions. Not to change your opinion, but to more get you thinking about things a little more deeply.

Were you aware of this mechanic up until the tournament? Unarmed knockdown punches have been in the game, unchanged, longer than your current account has existed. And remains the same as the day it was introduced (for the most part). Has it ever actually impacted you whatsoever in all that time? Can you think of any time, before the Brawlening, that you've experienced that kind of cheap shot?

The game, as dense as it is, has a habit of harbouring systems that only a select few master and keep secret to maintain an ace up their sleeve. But nothing remains a secret forever. What is strong one day is weak the next, and what is seen as weak can become strong if someone demonstrates proficiency. If you weren't aware of the mechanic until now, is that actually the problem, or is it a strong reaction to having taken a peek beneath the curtain to see how unfair the game can be at times? What line do you draw between acceptable and unfair?
Dalmationer
Byond Username: Dalmationer

Post by Dalmationer » #719440

I really like the brawlening. I feel like it's made unarmed combat much more interesting, and practicing it somewhat has definitely let me turn the tables in ways i couldn't before, especially with the ability to use fists to deal nonlethal stun damage.
Lately i've taken to playing fisticuffs security guard somewhat: getting advanced cybernetics and beating down baddies to stamcrit them, rather than baton or laser. It's certainly not as effective, but it's very characterful and feels really cool when I pull it off.
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719453

Dalmationer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:07 am -DALMSNIP IS REAL-
This is exactly how I feel, as well; it’s an additional nonlethal method that can give you time to restrain or talk down your target without beating them to fullcrit. I like that a lot.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #719458

I didnt even know this change was made and I dont think ive seen it in practice, i only see people beating the tar out of each other anyway.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #719479

NecromancerAnne wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:53 am Now, before I get into it, I would like to say I'm gonna make some adjustments that I think will probably help the situation. Mostly for the sake of parity.
can we get a bit of a scoop as to what you're thinking here? giving non-unarmed attacks a stamina damage coefficient? making knockdowns with regular weapons deterministic after some threshold too? very curious as to where you see this going to best achieve parity such as it might be
feedback appreciated here <3
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #719510

Higgin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:52 pm
NecromancerAnne wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:53 am Now, before I get into it, I would like to say I'm gonna make some adjustments that I think will probably help the situation. Mostly for the sake of parity.
can we get a bit of a scoop as to what you're thinking here? giving non-unarmed attacks a stamina damage coefficient? making knockdowns with regular weapons deterministic after some threshold too? very curious as to where you see this going to best achieve parity such as it might be
It's honestly just looking at defenses and stuff. Respecting armor a bit more, and what not.