Play on Sybil today :>

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #727830

Bottom post of the previous page:

The problem with Sybil having low people is caused by people not playing. I think more people should be playing, so then more people will be playing!

stairmaster
Byond Username: Stairmaster

Re: Play on Sybil today :>

Post by stairmaster » #728758

its so over
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #728759

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:23 pm snip
yeah i pretty much concur with this.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #728865

Sybil's still dead lmao
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #729064

It's not over. These past days it's been somewhat thriving. There's still hope yet!

PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #729093

Sybil has 40 pop
Like my admining? Feedback here!
Bdudy
Byond Username: Bdudy

Post by Bdudy » #729129

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:23 pm If I had to identify symptoms....
snip
Yeah all the shit you just said made sense. I don't think there's much to do that can fix any of that though unfortunately
I'll still keep playing when I can though. Nostalgia or something
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #729131

Even through sybil is recovering I still think removing Weighted Random & bumping up threat a little are good things. I don't like birdshot because its just ugly & its generally rolled only on low pop & I don't like low pop. On the other hand I don't like Northstar because its way to big too the point it makes it confusing to navigate even after multiple hours of experience playing on it. For these reasons when these maps are rolled or the server is just generally low pop I just alt f4 and come back later. Also players should have agency on what maps they want to & forcing maps to play maps they don't like is generally not going to make the player base happy. These maps have been around for a while now so I don't see why we need to force players to play them to get the feedback that should already be there.

I enjoy chaotic rounds, as such high threat make brain feel good.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #729133

weighted random is never going away.

in the beginning the map was compiled in, and could not change.

sybil had box station (now ice box, and down on a planet, previously maintained by Icarus, from cp_coldfront fame)

basil had metastation (maintained by metacide)

Then some stoner made a way to get the game to ask the server to recompile itself with a new map, and deploy that as if it was a code update. (this is why it checks when the shuttle launches from the station on the way to centcom, instead of when it lands at centcom, i needed to make sure there was enough time to re-compile the game before round end)

When he made that system, he had his tf2 days in mind. One problem with FPTP voting for maps, is if you have 3 loved map, the one 35% of people love most gets played, and the 2 maps the other 65% like get no play. you can add in previous map blacklisting, but you than have to consistently balance how many maps of history get blacklisted, and that can end up with a map only 20% of the people like, getting 33% of the play because blacklisting the last 2 maps played, has map voting basically turning into everybody picking the 1 of the 3 that is on the vote list, so the top 3 maps get played 33% of the rounds, even if one is liked by 40% of the players, and the 3rd is only liked by 20% of players.

So i thought, you know, if you did weighted random, this would mean that how often each map got playtime scaled directly with how many people like that map. my system worked like a random rotation, only people could go into preferences and pick which map they liked more, and it would skew the random rotation. So it was presented more as a way to influence what would normally be a random map rotation without any player input or map voting.

2 years go by and somebody remakes the system a bit because maps aren't compile in anymore, they get loaded at start, but this stays mostly the time.

another 2 years go by and somebody decides to add in map voting. This is where everything went wrong.

I refuse to believe going back to something that worked for 4 years killed sybil because i refuse to believe the playerbase is that entitled.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #729134

It didn't kill sybil but it would just make the players that left more likely to come back if they weren't already. In general I think its a downgrade because I just want to play on maps I find enjoyable & unique not ones I find confusing to navigate or a map I don't like the atmosphere of.

Regardless, I will continue to do what I always done before & after weighted random. Just do something else while I wait for the map I like to roll.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #729217

I played a round on sybil and it was fun
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #729301

yeah I don't think weighted random did it personally.

honestly, I have no idea what did it.

Maybe it was a bunch of little things at once.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #729716

I sure hope all of the remaining sybil players moved to manuel because the ruleset is a superior playing experience and not because its the only US server left which retains fully featured population counts 24 hours a day haha.

Also I think the illusion of choice only serves to frustrate players. I think that map voting was a mistake from the start as well but that the solution is to return to a pure random rotation as it was.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #729750

If Sybil reached like 40-50 pop when I get home I'll run flanderistation :)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #729761

Rageguy505 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:48 pm If Sybil reached like 40-50 pop when I get home I'll run flanderistation :)
everyone quick quit out of sybil
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #729783

PKPenguin321 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:55 am
Rageguy505 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:48 pm If Sybil reached like 40-50 pop when I get home I'll run flanderistation :)
everyone quick quit out of sybil
:(
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #729789

Played on sybil, got murdered as hos by a slime scientist after murdering a poor innocent miner because I was obsessed, good times.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #729885

Nothing lasts forever.