Limit Permabans to Yearbans

Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Limit Permabans to Yearbans

Post by Tunder » #91255

Because, honestly, if someone you banned a year ago is still an active member of the community, they're worth keeping around and giving another chance.

And a lot can happen in a year, people can learn from their mistakes given a lot of time, which a year more than adequately represents.

It's 1/100th of a lifespan for the lucky, but usually less.

Life is too short for saltiness over a 2d spessmen simulator, and questionable permabans create a metric shit ton of drama, grievously injuring the legitimacy of the administration.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Limit Permabans to Yearbans

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91260

This is an administration issue, I believe.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #91263

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:This is an administration issue, I believe.

It's an idea. I posted it to Ideas. It doesn't break any of the subforum rules.

Kindly don't derail.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91269

Does that mean that 2beard and terbs could come back if they wait a year?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #91270

DemonFiren wrote:Does that mean that 2beard and terbs could come back if they wait a year?

Ideally it would be retroactively effective.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91272

In that case: Hell no.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #91275

DemonFiren wrote:In that case: Hell no.

I legitimately don't remember ever playing with you, and I doubt you played much with either of them. They had their moments, but both were robust, capable, useful players much more than they were bored shitters, a state with which anyone who has been here for a significant amount of time is familiar, and would not hold against anyone else.

2beard is a forum meme than he ever was a threat to server fun, and I played with Terbs for years, long enough to know that he's a decent player with some mediocre greytiding under his belt.

Nobody deserves permabanning, when humans have the ability to change and improve as they do.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91290

BeardBeard and terbs' bans aren't just permabans, they're literally on bans.txt or something.
And this should be in Policy Discussion, unless you want to actually remove permabans from the code.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #91304

yes, this should be in policy discussion.

sadly i dont have ABSOLUTE DOMINION over the coding subforums for some reason so somebody else has to move this.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #91318

Ehhhhhh

This is a bad idea, Beard beard was toxic, and there are a few others who burned their chances already.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #91327

There are some people who aren't active in the community and would come back to grief after the year just because.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #91333

People dont change so easily. If you honestly think a year of hanging around the forums makes you a better person and warrants an unban, then you are delusional.

As i understand it, there already is a policy that lets you appeal permabans after a year, so i do not see the need for this. If you get permad, play on other servers, come back in a year with a recommendation and you will probably get an unban.
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #91367

TechnoAlchemist wrote:There are some people who aren't active in the community and would come back to grief after the year just because.
I'm not saying all records should be expunged, and obviously if they come back shit they should be shipped off again.

But assuming that many people, considering how many permabans have been dished out over the years, are gonna come back shit is unfair. There have been plenty heavily argued permabans that stuck, and equating questionable bans with clear cut cases of metafriend griffing or other such plainly unacceptable behavior is unfair to the person being banned for, say, spraypainting a swastika on a server where erotic role play is a morally acceptable action.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #91379

We currently let players appeal their bans once a year. I think the system is fine as it is.

If we implement this I would push very hard for it to not be retroactive. We have many folks that we have made an active choice to remove from the community (namely 2beard, Tonto and Terbs) that have proven they have nothing to offer us and are purely detrimental (and in one case, an actual danger) to our community.

In short, please god no why
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #91382

I think the idea is that permabans, barring contriving circumstances, are very rarely actually permanent. Rather, they're barriers of entry to the game that force people to take a half year - a year off, at least, before making a new appeal to try and get back in. This system means that we only get people who actually wish to make strides to improve their gamestyle back here, and those people typically wind up under closely-watched probation or whatever.

Making them auto-expire after a year means that the barrier to re-entry is much much lower (time), meaning the quality of the re-entrants will be lower, and there would be no permanent filtration system for 'bad' players. Not sure how appealing that sounds.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91392

Also it's funny whenever someone appeals a permaban from 2012 or whatever for killing a clown on the shuttle with a long list of woe about how they've changed their ways and they just get told "You were only permabanned for logging before we could ask you why you dunked the clown"
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #91415

This idea is a bad one.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #91458

Like sticky is alway's saying there's no obligation to let people play here
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #91616

Tunder wrote:
I legitimately don't remember ever playing with you, and I doubt you played much with either of them. They had their moments, but both were robust, capable, useful players much more than they were bored shitters, a state with which anyone who has been here for a significant amount of time is familiar, and would not hold against anyone else.
Oh look this meme again.

Who the fuck are you?
I too can do this.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #91624

Tunder wrote:

2beard is a forum meme than he ever was a threat to server fun, and I played with Terbs for years, long enough to know that he's a decent player with some mediocre greytiding under his belt.

Nobody deserves permabanning, when humans have the ability to change and improve as they do.

Tunder can you stop being a pain in the ass with this I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I'M SUPER POPULAR AND KNOW EVERYONE SO YOU MUST BE IRRELEVANT thing.

You've been doing it everywhere and it's really fucking boring.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #91627

I just want to say I got a warning for pretty much saying what you said but in a less PC way.

Thanks moderators!
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #91633

Shit niggly I was about to type up a big ol' thing but looks like I already got beaten to it. I'll just quote.
Stickymayhem wrote:Tunder can you stop being a pain in the ass with this I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I'M SUPER POPULAR AND KNOW EVERYONE SO YOU MUST BE IRRELEVANT thing.

You've been doing it everywhere and it's really fucking boring.
Also literally who, never saw him before his being an admin, some standard of experience or time played on /tg/ before adminship would be nice.
Literally who, I never saw him before he was an admin, which makes me worried that he didn't spend much time immersed in the server/community culture before being given power over regular players.
Also literally who, he wasn't a player for very long if at all before being made admin, which I feel has detracted from his ability to administrate very well.
Another literally who, never saw him before he was admin and I've been here a long time.
Terbs is a long-time and valuable member of this community with a lot of seasoning, and one of the most robust players we still have amidst the sever brain drain and the floods of newbs we've been getting.
We get it, you want to hang with your shitty metafriends.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #91652

ColonicAcid wrote:I just want to say I got a warning for pretty much saying what you said but in a less PC way.

Thanks moderators!
Oh wow its almost like I warned Sticky too for ad hominem attacks.

Too bad Sticky doesn't have three previous warnings for being a dick in Policy Discussion.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #91668

Hah, oh my god did you actually warn people for that?

Next you'll be banning people for correcting people of wrong opinions because people need safe spaces to express themselves right?
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #91684

So I guess we can't call people out on their bullshit in fear of reprisal?

Alright okay Vekter I see how it is. We're throwing away the big boy toys and becoming men huh?
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #91704

Might as well. Permabans are a joke, the majority of them are lifted with a stern but loving "don't do that again."

These days it seems bans are either 5-30 minutes or permabans. Things like month bans should be more common and permabans should be much rarer but much more serious.
LA MAYONESA
Byond Username: LA MAYONESA

Post by LA MAYONESA » #91706

i agree!
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #91731

Loonikus wrote:Might as well. Permabans are a joke, the majority of them are lifted with a stern but loving "don't do that again."

These days it seems bans are either 5-30 minutes or permabans. Things like month bans should be more common and permabans should be much rarer but much more serious.
Even if permabans are a joke, its better to have them actually make an effort to come here and act like they know they fucked up rather than just have the ban auto-expire and they come back thinking "hur hur time to fuck around some more."

I said this somewhere else, its literally an idiot filter. If you can't stop acting like a screaming child for 5 seconds then theres no point in lifting bans.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #91746

Fair enough, but in that case can we really call them permabans if theres no intention for them to be permanent? I know at this point its just semantics but it could be seen as misleading.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #91772

Personally don't agree with this, and look at my rank ayy lmao. The whole point of it being permanent is to get the person to appeal it rather than just sit by the sidelines for a year and go back to doing the same thing. Essentially it forces you to change your personality, whether you like it or not. Granted, I don't think BeardBeard even plays SS13 anymore, but there's always the chance he could come back, and that's not something anyone wants.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #91847

Even if this goes through, for some insane reason, it won't have any affect on beardbeard or terbs. They are both on the blacklist, not just a permaban. Changing perma policy is not going to affect that.
Tunder

Post by Tunder » #91891

palpatine213 wrote:Even if this goes through, for some insane reason, it won't have any affect on beardbeard or terbs. They are both on the blacklist, not just a permaban. Changing perma policy is not going to affect that.
But it will help in the future, and hopefully prevent future blacklistings by limiting saltiness from banned players who feel they've been unfairly treated.
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #92080

Here is how you get off a perma ban right now, as far as I understand it:

1. Don't do something super fucking creepy, no we shouldn't unban for that.

1.a.Or do not meta communicate.

2. Go play on another server and don't be shit. Follow their rules.

3. Make a polite appeal acknowledging you will follow the rules here.

Anyone who can not abide by these three things really shouldn't be playing here.

Maybe 1.a. can be changed as long as they meet 2 and 3.

Perma bans are on until you prove you can be trusted. Week+ bans are actual punishment.
mosquitoman
Byond Username: MosquitoMan

Post by mosquitoman » #92316

why is this even an issue? can people really not just make a new account and refresh ip? is this an unknown and forgotten skill in 2015?
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #92332

mosquitoman wrote:why is this even an issue? can people really not just make a new account and refresh ip? is this an unknown and forgotten skill in 2015?
If your implying people should ban evade, thats not particularly great advice.

Plus we have other ways of spotting similar users, plus niknakflak's hat of super sleuthing, so when you get caught your just going to make it more unlikely for you to ever have your appeal accepted.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #92492

then you just evade again lel
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #93421

ColonicAcid wrote:I just want to say I got a warning for pretty much saying what you said but in a less PC way.

Thanks moderators!
Not anymore you don't.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #96159

Loonikus wrote:Fair enough, but in that case can we really call them permabans if theres no intention for them to be permanent? I know at this point its just semantics but it could be seen as misleading.
Changing "ban length: permanent" to "ban length: indefinite" would technically be more accurate, but eh.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #96248

Emphasis on the phrase "/DIRTY FUCKING CRIMINALS/"
Not everyone is a "/DIRTY FUCKING CRIMINAL/"
Only "/DIRTY FUCKING CRIMINALS/" ban evade.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #96258

John_Oxford wrote:Not everyone is a "/DIRTY FUCKING CRIMINAL/"
Are you sure?
Are you really sure?
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #96289

OK this is way off topic, the original things have been discussed and its turning into yet another stupid argument.
Closing.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box