[GUIDE] How to play SS13 on Linux with a simple script

General SS13 Chat
Dr. Chef
Byond Username: DrChef

[GUIDE] How to play SS13 on Linux with a simple script

Post by Dr. Chef » #404431

Hello spacemen. Today I'm going to teach you how to play SS13 on linux properly or what Richard Stallman calls GNU/Linux or GNU + Linux. I was skeptical about this working, but it works flawlessly for me.

This guide was created by Xaltonon on the SS13 subreddit and I found it to work great.

I used the latest version of Ubuntu 18.04 but it should work for other linux distros.

Copy these commands into the terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
sudo apt update
sudo apt install wine-stable winehq-stable
sudo apt install winetricks
I was able to install Winetricks without using the extra commands, so if you want to add the repository you can, or you can just type

sudo apt-get install winetricks
and that should work too. If you are using another distro that isn't based on Ubuntu or Debian, then use whatever package manager you have to install Winetricks.

Now, you need to create a directory, in your home directory. You can do this with the terminal or you can just create a new folder with your file manager of your choice. To create a new directory in the terminal, type

mkdir filename_here
My folder is called SS13. Now, go into the folder by using the change directory command. Type cd filename here, or in my case, I typed cd SS13. Now you need to copy this command and use it in the terminal. This will install Byond, Internet Explorer, and all the other necessary things like Direct X.

curl https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Xaltonon/8a70f057b263ab697c666619d753a5bc/raw | bash
If you don't have curl installed type

sudo apt-get install curl
or use your package manager of choice.

ss13.sh does the following:

sets up a 32 bit WINEPREFIX
installs the DLLs required for BYOND from winetricks
installs IE for BYOND
downloads the latest version of BYOND and updates old versions
installs gecko for better javascript
installs directx so you don't have flashing lights on servers with smooth lighting
installs corefonts so your eyes don't bleed
installs a desktop entry so you can launch BYOND from the comfort of your start menu
When you finish installing, you go into your file menu and click on Byond and log in. Someone said on the digg thread that using wine will get you banned/sticky banned from some servers because the CID (computer id) variable that byond uses doesn't work properly on wine, but I was able to connect to /tg/ without problems.

Everything works for me so far. I haven't found any glitches or items that aren't working. I haven't tried other codebases, but it works well on /tg/ station.

Thanks for /u/Xaltonon on digg for creating this guide. Have a good day.

I will post screenshots of it working when the round is over.

Edit: Here you go. Screenshots from a round.
Linux.png
tgonlinux2.png
tglinux3.png
The only thing I can't get to work is web links. I have to copy them and use them in my browser. I also was able to play Goonstation with the fancy lighting. There are some tiny issues with Goonstation, but the game is very playable, but /tg/ station runs a lot nicer under wine.
Last edited by Dr. Chef on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: [GUIDE] How to play SS13 on Linux easily with a simple script

Post by Luke Cox » #404747

Brainlet question: What do I do after I run the install script via curl? The ss13 folder is there, but I can't find where Byond installed.

Edit: Okay, I checked again and the script stops at "Setting up Windows DLLs". Also, it says that wine-gecko cannot be loaded. I'm using Arch if that makes any difference.
Dr. Chef

Post by Dr. Chef » #404772

Luke Cox wrote:Brainlet question: What do I do after I run the install script via curl? The ss13 folder is there, but I can't find where Byond installed.

Edit: Okay, I checked again and the script stops at "Setting up Windows DLLs". Also, it says that wine-gecko cannot be loaded. I'm using Arch if that makes any difference.
I haven't ran Arch in like two years. This script might be created for debian based systems, but you could manually install all the stuff you need for it to work. You need to setup a 32 bit wineprefix, install the DLL's manually, install Internet Explorer 8, byond, gecko, and direct X. Installing the required fonts in the script should also be something you do.

I think someone else got it to work with Arch, but using a different version of wine. On the digg thread, someone else was having problems with it not working on Arch, but someone else said they got it to work by installing wine-gaming-nine from the aur instead of using wine.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #404774

"easily"
Dr. Chef

Post by Dr. Chef » #404775

NikNakFlak wrote:
"easily"
Correction: Easy if you have a debian based system.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Re: [GUIDE] How to play SS13 on Linux with a simple script

Post by pubby » #404779

I used Arch.

I followed the directions here and it worked: https://www.digg.com/r/SS13/comments/ ... _on_linux/
Dr. Chef

Post by Dr. Chef » #404786

pubby wrote:I used Arch.

I followed the directions here and it worked: https://www.digg.com/r/SS13/comments/ ... _on_linux/
I think I tried that guide years ago with minor success, but sometimes it didn't work at all, but I used Ubuntu or Elementary OS (Ubuntu based). I would suggest adding gecko.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #404812

Now how do I get it on android
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #404961

Lazengann wrote:Now how do I get it on android
Use a real linux distro you goddamn normie
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #404981

pubby wrote:I used Arch.

Trying this, I get the following:
Note: command wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_wsh57\override-dll.reg returned status 53. Aborting.