Fighting Games

Talk about video games here
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Fighting Games

Post by Erbbu » #39399

Anyone else playing SF4?

Bought it last year for PC when I finally got a gamepad for myself. Been getting my ass whooped ever since.

I main Hugo because throwing people around and clapping them to death is just too much fun. Also the character has a fair bit of potential for something like round 2 here happening:

[youtube]mUAcrH1MG68[/youtube]

Potato.
Last edited by Erbbu on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Re: Street Fighter 4

Post by srifenbyxp » #39419

Dont you mean HaDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKEN spam 4?
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #39420

The fireball game is surprisingly intricate after you get a hang of it. Spacing, which version to use, what to look out for, when not to use another fireball and so on are all important. Likewise when trying to get in on a zoner you need to mix up your methods of getting around fireballs not to be predictable.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #39493

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #39517

Mixed feelings about that theme. I didn't play in vanilla so I don't have the nostalgia everyone else feels towards it.

Best theme coming through.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #44095

despite SF's popularity it is one of the least fun fighters i've played
its much slower paced than other games
and i dont like the art style either
it reigns supreme in popularity because it's pretty much the original fighting game, everyone has heard of it
its also pretty balanced and what not, but i just think its boring
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44154

It's the Golden Standard of fighting games.

It's slow enough that you can pick it up and learn it as your introduction to the FGC, and it has all the depth and robust mechanics you could want. The learning curve to git gud is a comparatively flat and gentile slope.

After you've learned your basic specials, supers, and normals you can move up to focus attack/canceling, EX moves, and combos.

And that's it. Everything after that is match-ups and mindgames.

There's no crazy ass false-roman-cancels, desperation supers, or dream cancels. You've got some shit like one-frame-links and negative inputs but unless you're shooting for top-tier tournament placements you probably don't need to go that deep.

tl;dr the barrier to entry is really low and it's a game that's easy to learn while you play it for fun. It's a hard game to pick up and just be completely fucking terrible at it on a casual level. Unlike GG, BB, or KOF, which ask a lot more out of the player right from the get go.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44167

An0n3 wrote:It's the Golden Standard of fighting games.

It's slow enough that you can pick it up and learn it as your introduction to the FGC, and it has all the depth and robust mechanics you could want. The learning curve to git gud is a comparatively flat and gentile slope.

After you've learned your basic specials, supers, and normals you can move up to focus attack/canceling, EX moves, and combos.

And that's it. Everything after that is match-ups and mindgames.

There's no crazy ass false-roman-cancels, desperation supers, or dream cancels. You've got some shit like one-frame-links and negative inputs but unless you're shooting for top-tier tournament placements you probably don't need to go that deep.

tl;dr the barrier to entry is really low and it's a game that's easy to learn while you play it for fun. It's a hard game to pick up and just be completely fucking terrible at it on a casual level. Unlike GG, BB, or KOF, which ask a lot more out of the player right from the get go.
Essentially this. I'd still take KOF 13 over SF4 any day, but I haven't had the chance to play (or pick up) ultra yet. If anyone wants to start playing this or KoF on the regular let me know. I don't get enough chances to really play good non-random sets of anything living out in the boondocks like I do.
miggles

Post by miggles » #44171

i have KoF 13 on steam and i even managed to beat quarxink a few time
and hes like a master of fighting games
but he was drunk
and using a keyboard
so all in all it was a pretty fair fight

i really want a fightstick so i can play properly instead of using a shitty PS3 controller, but thats a lot of money to pay for games i dont actually play often
i would probably play them more often if i did have one since i would be able to improve much easier, but ehhh

despite my avatar i dont actually own P4:AU since its like 50 fucking dollars and then theres DLC to buy
i only have the original P4:A, but i really like it. its got a limited roster but its fun and pretty unique, also easier to pick up than most other fighting games by arc system works
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44188

miggles wrote:i really want a fightstick so i can play properly instead of using a shitty PS3 controller, but thats a lot of money to pay for games i dont actually play often
i would probably play them more often if i did have one since i would be able to improve much easier, but ehhh
I don't think not having an arcade stick really holds you back. There are a lot of bleeding edge level pad players: Smug, Snake Eyez, Tampa Bison, Alioune... Hell, this year's EVO was won by a guy using a PS1 pad. Most players just use an arcade stick because that's what they're used to from the actual arcades and it's a comfortable controller from them to play on.

Anyway I can't see SF4 as an exactly great introduction to fighting games. The game barely explains you anything and most players you face have been going at it for years. I actually lost around 150 ranked games in a row before I won one when I started. Granted, I should have been playing endless lobbies but you get the point. Something like Skullgirls does a much, much better job at explaining what you need to do.

The reason SF4 is my go-to game is that it's so much about fundamentals. The footsies and neutral game don't really exist on a similar level in many other fighting games. The combos are short but difficult to execute, so you can see people doing impressive combos without you losing control of your stick for like 15 seconds waiting for the other guy to finish up his moves.

On a different note, playing against Gouken, Juri and Poison really sucks as Hugo so I've been adamantly working on learning a new character in training mode to beat these bad matchups. She is literally ass. Like, literally.
Spoiler:
[youtube]waQgq3zHf3g[/youtube]
Last edited by Erbbu on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
miggles

Post by miggles » #44191

i just find it so hard to do inputs on the ps3 pad, since the stick is meant for 360 degree movement, not precise motions.
i feel like im button mashing just trying to do basic moves because i cant do the inputs.
it doesnt help that the rubber on the left stick of my controller is ruined. i have to push it down every once in a while so it will line up with the grooves in the stick, since its almost torn in half
kinda hard to explain what i mean, but yeah. i need a new set of rubber thingies.
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44195

Oh right, you use the analog stick. I feel that dashing in SF4 is impossible using that so while I quickly switched to using the dpad.
miggles

Post by miggles » #44197

inputs on a dpad seem even more difficult to me. how do you do that?
like, for QCF you have to hold down, then both buttons, then the direction, right? that just seems really inconvenient
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44199

The important thing is to slide your inputs. Like with the stick, it's not about the invidual inputs but the motion. To do a QCF you just slide your thumb from down to down-forward to forward, that's it.

I did get a blister from doing this when I tried getting into fightans but since then I've literally grown a thicker skin and don't get those anymore.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44203

miggles wrote:inputs on a dpad seem even more difficult to me. how do you do that?
like, for QCF you have to hold down, then both buttons, then the direction, right? that just seems really inconvenient
Let me tell you about playing SF2 on my Genesis.

We need to play some P4A or KoF though. I haven't picked up P4AU yet for the same reason.
miggles

Post by miggles » #44206

psn?
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #44223

It sucks ass being a fighting fan when you had to sell your PS3 for books and tuition and shit.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44270

miggles wrote:psn?
Cedarbridge. I know, I'm shocked too.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44458

True story:

When I was a little babby I bought my Sega Genesis used. It was my first console, and the controller it came with, for whatever reason, the person had drilled four flathead screws into at each compass point.

Training on that shit was like when you see fucking Kung Fu dudes shoving their hands into hot ashes over and over. My inside of my thumb knuckle is solid iron from years of abuse. I can crush D-Pad inputs like no problem. You want 360's? 720's? Pretzels? Fuck you bro I got that. The biggest problem for me in using a pad isn't the D-pad inputs its not being able to dial my combos in on the buttons with my other thumb.

If you want to become King of Iron thumb technique the next best thing I could recommend is playing Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on Dreamcast nonstop d-pad only. That fucking controller says "No bitches allowed" in small print on the back. The D-pad is made out of old bandsaw blades and tetanus. It will shred the weak flesh off your thumb and leave only the tendons of a champion.

This is the secret to Segata Sanshiro's power.

Also my favorite fighting game input is the HCB, F motion. Something about it is so satisfying, like winding up for big punch and letting it fly.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44493

An0n3 wrote: Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Holy hell, the last time I played that game I had to use a damn keyboard for the inputs.

For the life of me I still can't do a 720. 360s without cheating a buffer are a no-go too. No idea why and I've never been able to find a reliable way to teach myself.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44570

Everyone cheats and/or buffers. You have to do something to prevent your character from jumping on the up input. Don't be a scrub who has to jump and then try to input the 360 before landing. Babby's first spinning piledriver.

The faster you can throw the input the better obviously but if you just stand still and do nothing while trying to throw a clean 360 you jump.

It's been so long since I was cheating them but it was something like throwing a HC in one direction and then U and the opposite direction to cheat a 360. Like HCB, UF. HCF, UB. Worked in some games but not others. Obviously doesn't work for 720's.

I'm curious how a game might react to you pressing all the directional inputs on one of those dialpad type "sticks". Would it take every direction at once as a 360?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44574

An0n3 wrote:Everyone cheats and/or buffers. You have to do something to prevent your character from jumping on the up input. Don't be a scrub who has to jump and then try to input the 360 before landing. Babby's first spinning piledriver.

The faster you can throw the input the better obviously but if you just stand still and do nothing while trying to throw a clean 360 you jump.

It's been so long since I was cheating them but it was something like throwing a HC in one direction and then U and the opposite direction to cheat a 360. Like HCB, UF. HCF, UB. Worked in some games but not others. Obviously doesn't work for 720's.

I'm curious how a game might react to you pressing all the directional inputs on one of those dialpad type "sticks". Would it take every direction at once as a 360?
I think it negates all but one input. If we're talking about a Hitbox anyway. Tyrant used one for a while and when they first came out, people were worried about being able to always buffer a block no matter what. This became less of an issue when Hitbox (by buyer popular request I believe) started putting input inhibitors into their stuff to prevent "pre-blocking" by holding down the back button while also holding forward and moving around.

Back on SPDs and 720s, I'd have to actually go back and look at my inputs, but I've "cheated" by doing things like Dash HCB in the opposite direction 66+624 etc (always works on Cerebella when playing Skullgirlls.) Maybe I'm just too slow to get the whole 720 out but I mean, I can only remember pulling off Zangief's AA Ultra once. Which is weird because I tend to gravitate to heavy/grappler characters but stumble on stuff like SPD inputs. Solomon Grundy was my boy in Injustice though. No 360 inputs at all and throws that could combo into other throws or worse.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44589

I wouldn't call it "my advice" so much as it is just the general rule:

Cheat the 360's, buffer the 720's behind a dash or meaty.

I usually treat those inputs like rekka's anyway. It's rare for someone to be dumb enough to be hanging around and letting me just throw those at them raw. In Vanilla SF4 you should throw a fierce banishing flat at someone, hold the punch input, buffer the input during the animation, and then release fierce for a negative input when the flat is completed. Good fuckin' times.

EDIT: Apparently in USFIV you can roll back to up-forward or forward to up-back and get a 360 motion that way as well. As long as you input the attack button at the same time as the up-foward/up-back you wont jump.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44622

An0n3 wrote:Apparently in USFIV you can roll back to up-forward or forward to up-back and get a 360 motion that way as well. As long as you input the attack button at the same time as the up-foward/up-back you wont jump.
It didn't always work this way? Pretty sure this shortcut caused by input leniency inherent to SF4 has been there since vanilla. Anyway you're exactly right about it.

Every character has something called pre-jump frames. During these frames you are still grounded and can do grounded special moves. Most character have four of these, but grapplers like Zangief and T.Hawk have six. Hugo has a whopping total of eight pre-jump frames. The reason for this is that if you input a 720 motion and finish it before your pre-jump frames are over, you can do a standing 720 move without buffering. However, this has limited uses and is obviously very difficult to pull off even by using a 720 shortcut. Your best bet of getting that sweet 720 ultra 1 is buffering it into an another move or buffering it while you are in blockstun to punish an unsafe move or to punish the opponent for dropping his combo.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44629

Tangent:

Why don't more people like Tekken or Virtua Fighter 5?

I have a HUGE local community here in CNY for Tekken but outside of us it seems like nobody gives a fuck. The game has some faults for sure (it's really fast for a 3D fighter, the combos can be stupidly long and punishing if you know what you're doing) but people seem to avoid it like the plague.

Virtua Fighter 5 makes even less sense to me why nobody plays it. I guess it's just not flashy enough? It's fucking brilliantly balanced, just some of the hits can appear kind of "weak" because the game doesn't explode and lasers come shooting out of the screen when you hit someone.

At least fucking KoF is finally starting to get more of the attention it deserves holy shit.

But goddamn playing as Steve Fox or Brad Burns in their respective games is the fucking greatest. That feeling when you're just nimbly ducking under or weaving around your opponents hits. So good.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44641

I personally have never played any of the Virtua Fighters and only played Tekken 2 at my friend's place a few times as a kid. In general I've always been more of a PC guy and haven't had a console of my own since PS1 days, which also contributes to me being late to the party of fighting games.
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #44642

I'm a SF2 vet from the snes, I got IV on the 3ds and I'm not impressed with it. Had 3 I think on the PSP when I still had it and I kinda liked it as much as 2.
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44644

SF4 for 3DS was the red-headed stepchild of the main game. With shortcuts characters like Guile became completely unstoppable since they could use their charge specials without charge and playing the game with the control scheme of a handheld device just isn't how the game is meant to be played.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44649

An0n3 wrote:Tangent:

Why don't more people like Tekken or Virtua Fighter 5?

I have a HUGE local community here in CNY for Tekken but outside of us it seems like nobody gives a fuck. The game has some faults for sure (it's really fast for a 3D fighter, the combos can be stupidly long and punishing if you know what you're doing) but people seem to avoid it like the plague.

Virtua Fighter 5 makes even less sense to me why nobody plays it. I guess it's just not flashy enough? It's fucking brilliantly balanced, just some of the hits can appear kind of "weak" because the game doesn't explode and lasers come shooting out of the screen when you hit someone.

At least fucking KoF is finally starting to get more of the attention it deserves holy shit.

But goddamn playing as Steve Fox or Brad Burns in their respective games is the fucking greatest. That feeling when you're just nimbly ducking under or weaving around your opponents hits. So good.
SoCal has a pretty big and lively 3D scene. More for Tekken than VF. I don't know why, but VF just feels like a slightly touched up VF2 from the old Saturn days. The controls are pretty restricted and don't feel as polished as Tekken has become over the years.
miggles

Post by miggles » #44650

change the thread title to fighters general or something

also im not good at these games at all
im like, above average at best. maybe. im bad at combos
id like to improve but again its very difficult with my control set up
what do?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44653

It's boring but you just have to put the time in. Go into training and dial them combos. Start out on a braindead punching bag until you can do them without dropping them, then start giving the AI movement stuff so it jumps around and you have to start thinking about which combo to use based on distance and anti-air or crouching states.

Thankfully, while you will have to learn different combos for different characters, overall the ability to quickly and precisely punch in chains is pretty consistent game to game, so if you decide to change characters or even jump ship to another game entirely you'll retain some skill. It's partly about learning the muscle memory for a certain characters combos, but also about learning precision and quick judgement.

The hardest part at the end isn't the inputs it's the pressure. Combo's are just tools to put damage on someone and knowing which one to use in which situation + having the control to execute them in a real match is a lot more difficult than just learning to do the inputs right. Knowing when NOT to go for them is just as important, because when the skill level is really high people are going to know your tools and be looking out for them. Trying to bait you into using them and punishing you for it.

I remember back when I was a scrub playing Sol at an event and I did well but after making it out of qualifiers and into semi's it was a whole different world. I was using unorthodox combos that helped a lot, but I was in too much of a rush to just throw combos out constantly and got my shit pushed in by an Axl player who was calm, knew how to zone, and stuffed me completely by using normals, a few specials, and some short punish combos.

If you can only learn one thing, it's much more important to learn patience and control with your normals and specials to punish and zone small amounts than to focus on trying to learn big damage combos. Get to the point where you can stuff scrubs using just those basic tools first, and the guys you're losing to are the guys who are using combos to punish you harder than you can punish back. When you're at THAT point, that's when you need to learn combos so you have that tool in your arsenal to deal bigger damage back. If you aren't yet at the point where you're keeping your guard up and able to see the opportunities and get what you can out of them, it's too early for you to be trying to work big damage strings into your arsenal. Work with the short strings that come naturally and focus on building your understanding until you're at a point where you're sure you would be winning more matches if only you could push your advantage harder.

...because combos really don't do shit for you if you can't create opportunities to use them, or recognize opportunities to use them. You'll just be throwing long strings into someone's guard and wondering why nothing is happening, then getting stomped when they punish you with their own strings back.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44658

Double post but

It's really fucking satisfying when you come up against someone who obviously has just read up combos and drilled combos without building that fundamental first. Because if you're calm and careful, you'll beat the shit out of them with simple strings, normals, and your plain ass specials.

Someone spamming strings is just as bad as someone spamming basic fireballs, they just look flashier and spent more time learning to do it.

There's two ways to look at it:
The guy who wins the fight is the guy who beat the health out of the other guy
or
The guy who wins the fight is the guy who defended himself better than the other guy

I don't want to advocate that you turtle allday errday, but there IS a timer on the round for a reason (THANKS OBAMA!). A lot of people forget that not getting beat up is just as important as beating the other guy up. Going apeshit offense on people works on people who aren't familiar with what you can do, or don't know how to defend themselves. What I'm trying to say is: you'll get a lot farther in the end if you learn to defend better than if you learn to attack better.

Combos are important and you see lots of them in high-level play, but you should really be 110% on the basics before you sit down and start looking up strings online. I'm surprised thinking about it how well I've done in a lot of fighters where I never bothered to go look up my frame data and start practicing strings and instead chose to focus on simple parries, throws, and my character's normals and basic attacks.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44689

miggles wrote:change the thread title to fighters general or something
Yup good idea, it seems like that's where the discussion is headed.
miggles wrote:also im not good at these games at all
im like, above average at best. maybe. im bad at combos
id like to improve but again its very difficult with my control set up
what do?
It's like learning an instrument, you just practice it over and over and over again until it sticks. Have something in the background like music, a series you don't mind missing the details of or a podcast and go to training mode. Here are some great techniques for making the process faster: 1 2 3.

There's also this video in case it's applicable to the game you want to learn.
An0n3 wrote:because combos really don't do shit for you if you can't create opportunities to use them, or recognize opportunities to use them.
Absolutely. Fundamentals are something you just learn by playing real games a lot. There are some nifty guides for that too though, like this one for SF4.

Training mode isn't just about combos of course, you can use it to learn how to deal with specific scenarios that you have trouble with, like a character just fireballing you again and again. It's also an important tool for developing muscle memory for punishes, to avoid this scenario: "Okay I bet he is going to do that really unsafe move again... YES HE DID IT! Wait shit what was my punish? Welp too late now." Because unsafe moves are safe until you manage to teach your opponent that they are unsafe by punishing them.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44739

Erbbu wrote:Have something in the background like music
Be fucking careful with this. When I was a lot younger and getting serious about fighting games I just randomly made a playlist and started it before sitting down and practicing every input with every character in [EMBARRASSING GAME].

Rather than cycle through songs, it somehow randomly picked this one out and just played it
over and over
for like four or five hours.

Since I wasn't paying attention I never noticed it, but my reptile brain absorbed it completely and now whenever I play training in any game I fucking hear this song in the back of my head.
This is the fucking soundtrack to every fighting game. This song:

[youtube]JqnO40AGRSc[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44748

Erbbu wrote:
An0n3 wrote:Apparently in USFIV you can roll back to up-forward or forward to up-back and get a 360 motion that way as well. As long as you input the attack button at the same time as the up-foward/up-back you wont jump.
It didn't always work this way? Pretty sure this shortcut caused by input leniency inherent to SF4 has been there since vanilla. Anyway you're exactly right about it.

Every character has something called pre-jump frames. During these frames you are still grounded and can do grounded special moves. Most character have four of these, but grapplers like Zangief and T.Hawk have six. Hugo has a whopping total of eight pre-jump frames. The reason for this is that if you input a 720 motion and finish it before your pre-jump frames are over, you can do a standing 720 move without buffering. However, this has limited uses and is obviously very difficult to pull off even by using a 720 shortcut. Your best bet of getting that sweet 720 ultra 1 is buffering it into an another move or buffering it while you are in blockstun to punish an unsafe move or to punish the opponent for dropping his combo.
Tested this in 2012, 317 motion works for any 360 input. Apparently you can OS a standing 360/720 behind a normal throw (on Zangief anyway). The input window is super tight though.
dezzmont

Re: Fighting Games

Post by dezzmont » #44756

Anyone here into skullgirls?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44757

dezzmont wrote:Anyone here into skullgirls?
Played a bit of it. I was never really good at MVC2 so that translated over to SG.
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44766

cedarbridge wrote:
Erbbu wrote:

Tested this in 2012, 317 motion works for any 360 input. Apparently you can OS a standing 360/720 behind a normal throw (on Zangief anyway). The input window is super tight though.
Isn't it a 225 degree input though? 180 degrees for hcb/hcf and then 45 degrees for ub/uf. Also how do you OS an SPD into a normal throw? Like if the throw doesn't hit you do and SPD? That's how most option selects work, either you hit the target and the other move doesn't come out, or your first move whiffs and the other move does come out. I'm not sure what kind of an OS you're talking about.
dezzmont wrote:Anyone here into skullgirls?
Yup, played it a fair bit before USF4 came out. Been pretty much absorbed in Street Fighter for now though.

Finally got my Big Band combos and resets down and then started to learn those for Peacock as well. Man does it take a lot of effort to get all the setplays into muscle memory in that game. At least for me.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #44772

Only character I am really good with is Valentine. I am trying to get a hold of Eliza as well so I can duo them up. I already can take someone from full to half with them using 2 bars.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44812

Erbbu wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Erbbu wrote:

Isn't it a 225 degree input though? 180 degrees for hcb/hcf and then 45 degrees for ub/uf. Also how do you OS an SPD into a normal throw? Like if the throw doesn't hit you do and SPD? That's how most option selects work, either you hit the target and the other move doesn't come out, or your first move whiffs and the other move does come out. I'm not sure what kind of an OS you're talking about.
Nope, its a lopsided 180. For some reason they thought that was a fair compromise to requiring a buffer. v0v

The OS gig is a weird property of the throw itself. Its input and range are decent so you cover a lot of space. If it doesn't hit (or if its going to whiff anyway and get punished by something that an SPD can eat up) you can cancel it into a 360. Because you're still stuck in active frames from the grab, you're grounded so you can fully input the 360/720 without risk of going airborne through those frames. Its situationally useful compared to say, Ex Banishing Flat but it does let you bait out some unsafe stuff.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44826

That's not a true OS though. You're just buffering the rest of an input through a missed grab.

In a real option select you never see the move that whiffs. It's like throwing both at once and the system goes with whatever works.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles

Post by miggles » #44833

dezzmont wrote:Only character I am really good with is Valentine.
medschool
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44864

An0n3 wrote:That's not a true OS though. You're just buffering the rest of an input through a missed grab.

In a real option select you never see the move that whiffs. It's like throwing both at once and the system goes with whatever works.
Except you kinda do, and it does.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44869

If you're waiting to see how the move pans out and then completing a motion you're not using an option select, you're just playing smartly with good reflexes.

eg. Throwing a jumpkick at someone and buffering the DP. If the kick connects you'll follow up with the DP, but if the kick whiffs or gets blocked the DP never comes out. That's an option select.

Maybe I'm wrong but what I've learned/been told what makes an OS is that it's one big input that does different things depending on how the opponent reacts to it.

EDIT: Top hit on google for option select has another good example
An os that I use often with dudley is f. Rh (overhead) U1. This covers 2 options and eliminates 2 of he 3 options most players have, looses clean to reversals.

I input the overhead and Immediately buffer the u1 motion and input, if they block or get hit by the overhead, there is enough hit and block stun on duds glorious overhead for me to hitconfirm or stop (when blocked). If they back dash, the overhead will miss entirely and the very next input the game registers is mu u1 motion and rolling thunder is executed, catching the back dash clean.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44872

Here's the important question though:

Are you ready to accept her into your heart, /tg/?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
miggles

Post by miggles » #44875

i can't, i'm already gay for bridget, just like everyone else
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44876

During her win animation she offers you a wedding contract, and then gets a nosebleed when she thinks about your wedding night.

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #44877

I wish that I had a PS3 for Xrd. Faust all day erry day.
An0n3 wrote:During her win animation she offers you a wedding contract, and then gets a nosebleed when she thinks about your wedding night.
In before yandere.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #44878

Erbbu wrote:I wish that I had a PS3 for Xrd. Faust all day erry day.
An0n3 wrote:During her win animation she offers you a wedding contract, and then gets a nosebleed when she thinks about your wedding night.
In before yandere.
Yes pls.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #44879

Erbbu wrote:In before yandere.
That's a different Valentine sister.

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: