Gameplay Tweaks (Hopefully with minimal coding required)

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, DMCA Lead

halitosisman
 
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:24 pm
Byond Username: Halitosisman

Gameplay Tweaks (Hopefully with minimal coding required)

Unread postby halitosisman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:49 pm #431346

I'm sure everyone could suggest improvements and tweaks to the CM gameplay. Let's name them.

I'll start,
-Replace the pilot role with a bot that pushes all the buttons on the dropships, and sends automated messages on its status over comms. This eliminates a repetitive job and allows people to plan around reliable dropship schedules. Add a manual override to handle edge scenarios.
-Expand the vendor point system to PFC vendors, and re-balance requisition stockpiles to compensate. This allows marines to try gimmicks that otherwise rely on parsimonious cargo techs to be generous. It is not fun to wait in req lines, unless a fight breaks out, which is fun until the cancerous MPs brig you for most of the round.
-This would some work to implement, but the game could use more structures for engineers to build and materials to compensate. FOB engineers need more to do.
-Also something needs to change with MP procedures. They're important to shaping the round, but you might as well pull up Netflix whenever they arrest you.

The cave fighting mechanics could use some work too. The fun marine gadgets do not work in the caves. Oftentimes only a few marines at the front get to fire their weapons before the boilers, crushers, or queen arrives and wipes out the attacking force.



User avatar
Rohesie
DMCA Lead
 
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rohesie

Re: Gameplay Tweaks (Hopefully with minimal coding required)

Unread postby Rohesie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:08 pm #432131

halitosisman wrote:-Replace the pilot role with a bot that pushes all the buttons on the dropships, and sends automated messages on its status over comms. This eliminates a repetitive job and allows people to plan around reliable dropship schedules. Add a manual override to handle edge scenarios.


Some people actually enjoy playing PO. SLs, MPs, SOs and several others besides POs can launch the dropship at any time.

halitosisman wrote:-Expand the vendor point system to PFC vendors, and re-balance requisition stockpiles to compensate. This allows marines to try gimmicks that otherwise rely on parsimonious cargo techs to be generous. It is not fun to wait in req lines, unless a fight breaks out, which is fun until the cancerous MPs brig you for most of the round.


Some things are supposed to be scarce. Others could be added to the vendors, yes. What do you have in mind?

halitosisman wrote:-This would some work to implement, but the game could use more structures for engineers to build and materials to compensate. FOB engineers need more to do.


Got anything concrete?

halitosisman wrote:-Also something needs to change with MP procedures. They're important to shaping the round, but you might as well pull up Netflix whenever they arrest you.


We lack something like the gulag.

halitosisman wrote:The cave fighting mechanics could use some work too. The fun marine gadgets do not work in the caves. Oftentimes only a few marines at the front get to fire their weapons before the boilers, crushers, or queen arrives and wipes out the attacking force.


It would be nice if we could shape the terrain. Make the indestructible walls have a lot of health instead. But that will require a lot of mapping rework.

User avatar
Lumbermancer
 
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 am
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: Gameplay Tweaks (Hopefully with minimal coding required)

Unread postby Lumbermancer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 am #432590

halitosisman wrote:Replace the pilot role with a bot that pushes all the buttons on the dropships, and sends automated messages on its status over comms. This eliminates a repetitive job and allows people to plan around reliable dropship schedules.


I agree with the upperposter, I had lots of fun flying dropships. I would rather improve CAS, so it's less mindless (unless they've done it already, which is possible).
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Image
Image

User avatar
Rohesie
DMCA Lead
 
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rohesie

Re: Gameplay Tweaks (Hopefully with minimal coding required)

Unread postby Rohesie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:01 am #432760

Lumbermancer wrote:I would rather improve CAS, so it's less mindless (unless they've done it already, which is possible).


Right now it's basically pushing a button when the time is right. You can use a Laser Detector System to see the laser targets and decide when to press the button, or you can rely on being told when to by the people who have an eye on things.

How would you improve it, concretely?

User avatar
Lumbermancer
 
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 am
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: Gameplay Tweaks (Hopefully with minimal coding required)

Unread postby Lumbermancer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:07 am #432782

Open camera view around laser designator (there is camera right now, you can attach to gunship, but it's pretty lame) and allow to actually click to shoot, with a delay of course, so it's not too op. Maybe even animate some sort of "heads up" to balance it.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Image
Image

halitosisman
 
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:24 pm
Byond Username: Halitosisman

Re: Gameplay Tweaks (Hopefully with minimal coding required)

Unread postby halitosisman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:21 pm #435076

Rohesie wrote:
halitosisman wrote:-Expand the vendor point system to PFC vendors, and re-balance requisition stockpiles to compensate. This allows marines to try gimmicks that otherwise rely on parsimonious cargo techs to be generous. It is not fun to wait in req lines, unless a fight breaks out, which is fun until the cancerous MPs brig you for most of the round.


Some things are supposed to be scarce. Others could be added to the vendors, yes. What do you have in mind?


I was thinking each PFC could have access to one of, or a mix of the following loadouts. I played requisitions a few times on CM-13 and you could generally hand these out
freely without having supply troubles.

-3 basic attachments(rds, V-grip, mag harness, etc) and two AP mags
-6 basic or incendiary grenades(usually req has the supplies to field a few requests like these)
-loaded .45 with ammo and two attachments
-machete and three attachments
-3 frag grenades

Some wilder ideas. Maybe limit the number of these available across all vendors and retain their point cost, similar to what CM did with the mortar:
-barrel charger
-tactical binoculars (seriously more people need to call for airstrikes in this game)
-SWAT gas mask
-incendiary ammo
-maybe one or two heavy pulse rifles
-flamethrower
-extra M56D or two(I'm pretty sure PFCs know how to handle these)
-foxhole kit: an entrenching tool with enough sandbags for 1-3 barricades(I can't remember if PFCs know how to stack sandbags but they ought to know how)

halitosisman wrote:-This would some work to implement, but the game could use more structures for engineers to build and materials to compensate. FOB engineers need more to do.


Rohesie wrote:Got anything concrete?


-floodlights
-surgical tables(maybe add a special cargo item for this)
-maybe allow MTs to move the more advanced medical items found ground side, like sleepers and body scanners.
-blast doors(again maybe make this MT only)
-bridges(for LV)

halitosisman wrote:The cave fighting mechanics could use some work too. The fun marine gadgets do not work in the caves. Oftentimes only a few marines at the front get to fire their weapons before the boilers, crushers, or queen arrives and wipes out the attacking force.


Rohesie wrote:It would be nice if we could shape the terrain. Make the indestructible walls have a lot of health instead. But that will require a lot of mapping rework.


Would about making aircraft bunker buster munitions work underground, and making them destroy cave walls in a 5v5 area? It would give POs something to do while the fighting is underground, and give marines a way to break cave sieges.


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests