Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderator: In-Game Head Admins

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby oranges » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:07 am #439885

If we're going to pick and choose what feedback we keep around, why even have the threads, especially on such specious reasoning as "the complaint was withdrawn" when the withdrawal was posted in the same thread, a post later. It should stand as a record of what someone thought (due to miscommunication or not) and then their subsequent ability to modify their opinion.

There's no reason there to delete all the feedback and irregardless of the intent it was made in, it just looks like you're supressing feedback.

We should leave history like this alone, I don't run around demanding that people remove all the random shitposts in my feedback cause I accept that it's an outcome of how people thought at the time and should stand as a record of that, even the goof/swarge epic admin conspiracy posting that MSO deleted, and tonto's, you agreed with me one time now let me praise you feedback, and I appreciate that shitposting is a different issue, but the situation in elyina's thread was in no way shitposting.

These are living histories of people's view at a specific time and altering it just reduces transparency, any admin asking to have actual feedback posts removed should be scrutinized very closely.


smh, come on
as she says in pain



User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Head Admin
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Arianya » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:24 am #439888

I'm certainly not encouraging picking and choosing feedback, and you'll note that feedback from back in 2014 was indeed left, so I hardly think it's fair to say that the intent was to "delete all the feedback" or suppress it.

Regardless, withdrawn or not, the feedback was specifically on a topic that was the purview of Elyina's former role as a forum administrator, not their role as a game administrator. That alone would have probably moved me to remove it if it had been posted today.

Personal opinion follows:

Ultimately, Feedback is a tool primarily for two people, the admin who is being given feedback and the headmins who monitor the admin. As the posts were deleted as opposed to move into the trash, they'll remain visible to these two groups, including if it somehow becomes an issue in the future.

The main "pro" in deleting it in my view is that it doesn't prejudice people's opinion against the administrator for something that was noted 4 years ago and was in and of itself retracted.

I agree we should lean on the side of caution when it comes to deleting things however, and I would certainly disagree with anyone who asked for legitimate feedback to be removed, but in this instance I felt that the feedback was:

a) Not valid feedback for a game administrator as the actions in question were "wearing a different hat"
b) Retracted long ago
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby oranges » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:28 am #439889

I don't see how it could not be valid feedback, the person in question believed that they were suppressing feedback on their behaviour as a game admin, if it turned out to be true that definitely want to be something I could see as a player when deciding how I felt about an admin. They didn't delete the posts themselves, so surely it falls under the purview of their actions as a game admin, rather than forum administrivia, as you're claiming here.

I disagree that feedback is a tool for admins and headadmins only, It's a good place for a player to go to register their discontent with an admins behavior, even if they haven't been able to have action on that in any more concrete way via a complaint or headadmin action.

It's also a good place for new players to get a handle on how an admin might behave when confronted with a situation and we shouldn't discount the value of these two outcomes, one as a pressure valve for releasing rage, and the other for allowing new comers to get a handle on the admin team, and form their own conclusions about who is good or bad.

As to the age argument, we don't delete old notes either, just make them less visible, surely the players can expect a little quid pro quo there, and I definitely want to see how someone's feedback thread has evolved over time, so I can get a handle on how this person has changed or reacted to player feedback.

Regarding the "delete all feedback" that's poor choice of wording on my part, I meant in relation to the particular complaint the person had, since the chain and all it's replies were deleted.

You do have to see the concern about deleting a complaint about someone having feedback deleted in their thread right? It brings up all sorts of concerns about someone who hasn't reflected on the original feedback and changed their behaviour at all and that's what makes the living history of admin feedback threads so valuable.
as she says in pain

User avatar
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:11 pm
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Atlanta-Ned » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm #439940

The only feedback that should be deleted is the kind that gets left after someone’s admin complaint is denied. Fuck those people.
Feedback pls (Don't bother though, because I am perfect)
### ListVarEdit by Atlanta-ned: /datum/reagents reagent_list: Water=/obj/item/weapon/gun/energy/alien
IcePacks wrote:>all you have is a taser and the cold realization that you're a haphazard bandaid over a problem that may or may not exist, applied by someone who doesn't know or care enough about their job to do it properly

User avatar
BeeSting12
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby BeeSting12 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:13 pm #439945

I'm confused as to why you found it necessary to delete four year old feedback.
Stickymayhem wrote:you're right!

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

Click here to make incoherent rants about my badminning.

User avatar
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Head Admin
 
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby TribeOfBeavers » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:44 pm #439953

BeeSting12 wrote:I'm confused as to why you found it necessary to delete four year old feedback.


Elinya asked about it a few times and I didnt particularly care as it had specifically been said to be withdrawn by the person who said it 4 years ago. I didnt realize this would be such a controversial issue tbh as we've had people withdraw/delete posts before.



While I agree with oranges that old feedback shouldnt be deleted (the other one was left), I dont have a problem with people withdrawing/deleting their own feedback if they feel what they said was inaccurate or misinformed.

That said im not particularly passionate about this issue and if peope feel as though feelback should never be deleted im willing to hear them out. I would, however, like to hear from more people than just oranges to get their opinions.

I suppose a compromise might be to have a mod or poster edit their post to strikethrough or otherwise indicate the feedback isnt accurate and give a brief explanation as to why.





Also because I feel like being a bit argumentative/nitpicky:
Spoiler:
Re: old notes
We absolutely delete old notes, just because you can technically view them doesnt mean they aren't effectively deleted as they arent visible or used in administrative decisions. In addition its the same situation as here. The feedback is there, just "less visible", as you say.

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: Dark, wet, disgusting basement
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Qbmax32 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:47 pm #439955

Atlanta-Ned wrote:The only feedback that should be deleted is the kind that gets left after someone’s admin complaint is denied. Fuck those people.
Image
(Kevinz000 making himself huge during clockcult "testing". 150 hours!)
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&p=370393#p370393 for feedback plz
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:I love it when people feed me my own fried legs

User avatar
Lazengann
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Lazengann » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:55 pm #439958

I agree with oranges. I apologize for not having much to add, but oranges has a better mastery on language than me and states things better than I would have.

Spoiler:
It's hilarious how the feedback was about elyina trying to save face and the feedback was removed because elyina wanted to save face. You don't see any irony there?

User avatar
BeeSting12
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby BeeSting12 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:05 pm #439963

Feedback should always stay there unless it's an obvious shitpost. As oranges said, it's a record of what that person thought at the time. If they (the poster) specifically request for their post to be deleted then let it be deleted, but other than that leave it be.

I'm also not a fan of admins asking for their feedback to get deleted and then it just happening. I have some negative feedback in my thread, I'm sure others do, and I don't think anyone's asked for it to be deleted. It's that player's opinion and you should refute it in the thread instead of just having it deleted.
Stickymayhem wrote:you're right!

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

Click here to make incoherent rants about my badminning.

User avatar
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Head Admin
 
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby TribeOfBeavers » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 pm #439970

So evidently the general consensus is that we shouldnt remove that kind of thing upon request in the future, and thats fine. If anyone has a differing opinion feel free to post it though.

Unless someone has some arguments otherwise the posts will likely be readded in a little while.


However, to change the topic slightly so we dont run into similar problems:
What do you all feel should be allowed to be deleted from a feedback thread upon request, if anything?
Is it okay to remove cases of mistaken identity or similar? Or should those left with other posts hopefully disproving/providing context?
Should any moderation be done at all in these threads?(except like removing bot spam or whatever) Or should even the obvious shitposts remain as they provide a little insight into what people think?

User avatar
Lazengann
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Lazengann » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm #439973

Removing posts trying to sell shoes with bad english would be fine

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Cobby » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:58 pm #439975

Just don’t touch posts there barring violations of normal forum rules.

I’d rather bad posts get in due to undermoderation than perfectly fine posts get removed due to overmoderation. You can defend stupid posts like my thread where yakumo thought I did something another mod did.
purple man bad

User avatar
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Belgium
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Dax Dupont » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:41 pm #439985

Qbmax32 wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote:The only feedback that should be deleted is the kind that gets left after someone’s admin complaint is denied. Fuck those people.

This, it's annoying to have someone crying in 3 different threads over something that was ruled to be legit.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Cobby » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:36 pm #439992

Even if something is ruled to be legit you should still be able to say you didn't like how it was handled.

likewise if you think a complaint was handled understandably by the admin you should post good things about the individual in feedback too.

That said, people using the platform to do a second version of their ban appeal and/or complaint should be handled accordingly.
purple man bad

User avatar
subject217
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby subject217 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 pm #439994

yeah I'll just wait for someone who leaves valid feedback to exit the community so I can say it was baseless and they can't defend it

the kind of person who would seriously consider 4 year old feedback with no other context is what's in the wrong here not the feedback itself.

User avatar
kevinz000
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Dorm Room 3
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby kevinz000 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:53 pm #440005

feedback should only be deleted if it's obvious shitpost.
otherwise just post again with the justification (and call the fuck out like the dumbass they are if they decided to do it after their complaint was denied) and hope players are smart enough to not just read the bad reviews instead of considering the whole pictures.

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby iamgoofball » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:10 pm #440010

Dax Dupont wrote:
Qbmax32 wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote:The only feedback that should be deleted is the kind that gets left after someone’s admin complaint is denied. Fuck those people.

This, it's annoying to have someone crying in 3 different threads over something that was ruled to be legit.

Tough shit, it's still their feedback.

User avatar
subject217
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby subject217 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:20 pm #440013

if someone throws a hissy fit because their ban appeal/admin complaint/what have you got denied literally all you have to do is respond clarifying that and then nobody will ever take that feedback seriously

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby oranges » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:29 pm #440015

TribeOfBeavers wrote:Also because I feel like being a bit argumentative/nitpicky:
Re: old notes
We absolutely delete old notes, just because you can technically view them doesnt mean they aren't effectively deleted as they arent visible or used in administrative decisions. In addition its the same situation as here. The feedback is there, just "less visible", as you say.


They're not gone, and they are definitely used in administrative decisions, how many times have we all said "they have x overall number of notes" when considering the punishment for someone. It's disingenuous to act like they still don’t' have impact, even on a lesser scale, we don't delete them because we know they can be used as a record of a players change in style/character over time and we recognise that it has value. Exact same reasoning can be applied around for admin feedback.

I have no problem with changing the display of the threads to highlight the feedback that is fresh and relevant, but deleting old feedback just because of limitations of the display medium is unacceptable to me.
as she says in pain

User avatar
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Head Admin
 
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby TribeOfBeavers » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:07 pm #440018

oranges wrote:
TribeOfBeavers wrote:Also because I feel like being a bit argumentative/nitpicky:
Re: old notes
We absolutely delete old notes, just because you can technically view them doesnt mean they aren't effectively deleted as they arent visible or used in administrative decisions. In addition its the same situation as here. The feedback is there, just "less visible", as you say.


They're not gone, and they are definitely used in administrative decisions, how many times have we all said "they have x overall number of notes" when considering the punishment for someone. It's disingenuous to act like they still don’t' have impact, even on a lesser scale, we don't delete them because we know they can be used as a record of a players change in style/character over time and we recognise that it has value. Exact same reasoning can be applied around for admin feedback.

I have no problem with changing the display of the threads to highlight the feedback that is fresh and relevant, but deleting old feedback just because of limitations of the display medium is unacceptable to me.


They /are/ gone. MSO updated the db such that deleted notes are not visible without viewing the db directly (not something doable by admins, just MSO). I wasn't referring to faded notes but ones that were specifically deleted and can't be viewed.



Annnyway as nobody protested I undeleted the posts in Elinya's thread.

User avatar
bandit
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:35 pm
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby bandit » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 am #440025

at least you get feedback t_t
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

User avatar
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:11 pm
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Atlanta-Ned » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:33 am #440035

TribeOfBeavers wrote:They /are/ gone. MSO updated the db such that deleted notes are not visible without viewing the db directly (not something doable by admins, just MSO). I wasn't referring to faded notes but ones that were specifically deleted and can't be viewed.


For the sake of disclosure I can view deleted notes directly from the DB as well #statbus
Feedback pls (Don't bother though, because I am perfect)
### ListVarEdit by Atlanta-ned: /datum/reagents reagent_list: Water=/obj/item/weapon/gun/energy/alien
IcePacks wrote:>all you have is a taser and the cold realization that you're a haphazard bandaid over a problem that may or may not exist, applied by someone who doesn't know or care enough about their job to do it properly

User avatar
Shezza
 
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 6:54 pm
Byond Username: Wilchen

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Shezza » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 am #440116

Image

My feedback about lazengann has been removed

I can't recall the actual thing i posted but it was something along the lines off

"Not letting 4 year old things go is pretty despicable behavior."


Its pretty funny how he gets upset about someones feedback being removed and gets his own feedback removed.

It even seems that lazengann agrees its kind of shit to remove feedback thats not a obvious shitpost.

Lazengann wrote:I agree with oranges. I apologize for not having much to add, but oranges has a better mastery on language than me and states things better than I would have.

Spoiler:
It's hilarious how the feedback was about elyina trying to save face and the feedback was removed because elyina wanted to save face. You don't see any irony there?
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Lazengann
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Lazengann » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:01 pm #440130

I didn't see your post until just now when it had already been undeleted. I would have undeleted it myself if I had, your feedback was fair because most people would miss the context of it without seeing the adminbus drama.

User avatar
Cobby
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby Cobby » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm #440142

Shezza wrote:Image

My feedback about lazengann has been removed

I can't recall the actual thing i posted but it was something along the lines off

"Not letting 4 year old things go is pretty despicable behavior."


Its pretty funny how he gets upset about someones feedback being removed and gets his own feedback removed.

It even seems that lazengann agrees its kind of shit to remove feedback thats not a obvious shitpost.

Lazengann wrote:I agree with oranges. I apologize for not having much to add, but oranges has a better mastery on language than me and states things better than I would have.

Spoiler:
It's hilarious how the feedback was about elyina trying to save face and the feedback was removed because elyina wanted to save face. You don't see any irony there?


Someone moderating that section != someone asked for your feedback to be removed.
purple man bad

User avatar
obscolene
 
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:37 am
Location: In it 2 win it :-]
Byond Username: Obscolene

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby obscolene » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 pm #440149

>someone calls me a faggot
>4 years later, someone else sees it
>that person now thinks i am a faggot because someone said it 4 years ago
>be under the realization that if your opinion is able to be swayed that easily then your opinion holds no value to begin with
>go on with my life unburdened
obscolene#8796 | obscolene.cf

Image
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Image

User avatar
CitrusGender
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:34 pm
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby CitrusGender » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 pm #440164

you can never win by deleting posts

you only add further fuel to the fire and then people start to doubt your intentions
Code: Select all
You can't eat the orange, and throw the peel away - a man is not a piece of fruit.

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Deleting feedback in admin feedback threads

Unread postby PKPenguin321 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 pm #440167

Shezza wrote:Image

My feedback about lazengann has been removed

I can't recall the actual thing i posted but it was something along the lines off

"Not letting 4 year old things go is pretty despicable behavior."


Its pretty funny how he gets upset about someones feedback being removed and gets his own feedback removed.

It even seems that lazengann agrees its kind of shit to remove feedback thats not a obvious shitpost.

Lazengann wrote:I agree with oranges. I apologize for not having much to add, but oranges has a better mastery on language than me and states things better than I would have.

Spoiler:
It's hilarious how the feedback was about elyina trying to save face and the feedback was removed because elyina wanted to save face. You don't see any irony there?

Did this on my own accord, lazengann had no hand in it.

Posting about drama without context in for the most part unrelated feedback threads like that out of spite or to try and prove some kind of point is a shitty thing to do. Is it not possible to keep your bullshit to one or two threads?

That said, a headadmin has since undeleted it, and I agree with that. I think it's better to respond to the post within the thread to add context to it. On the other hand, if you're going to look at it being deleted in the first place as "WOW LAZENGANN SUCH A HYPOCRITE HAHAHAHA LOL EPIC" when he didn't even have a hand in it and it was deleted for entirely unrelated reasons (preventing you from spreading stupid drama bullshit to the entire forum), you can fuck off.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image


Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: confused rock and 1 guest