[Rafar9/Laskt] Administrator Application

Moderators: In-Game Admin, In-Game Head Admins, Game Server Operators, TGMC Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

Rafar9

Byond Username: Rafar9

[Rafar9/Laskt] Administrator Application

Postby Rafar9 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:37 pm #475706

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: Rafar9
Character name(s): Masar 'Misfortune' Ratoz / Various Xenos
Timezone: Eastern Standard Time [EST]
Discord tag: Laskt#4425
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: Administrated on a couple of small proboards forums, nothing super major
How familiar are you with our ruleset: Decently familiar I'd say, not an expert mind you, but I am willing to learn
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: Year and a half or so. Friend got me into CM and I spread out from there.
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: Do not believe so
Have you ever received a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: Nope
Why do you want to become an administrator: I want to be an administrator mostly because I would like to help out the admin team out more. I have enjoyed my time as a mentor, and would like to take a more active role.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:

1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
First I would check to see if there has been an ahelp submitted during the incident. If there is, then that would need to be addressed. I would speak with all relevant parties, and determine the exact sequence of events/ any context I should know. Most of the time, it would be a note, depending on the exact circumstances. Otherwise, it is an IC issue.

2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
I would ask for an available mentor, and ask them to give the person some help! If there are no mentors available, then I would take care of it myself

3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
I believe this falls under rule 6 precedent 4? Regardless if they aren't being totally unreasonable and unresponsive I would continue trying to help them, reminding them that if they have issues with my help they can appeal my behavior after the round ends, as well as providing them a link to the correct forum

4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
I would link them to our rules, and remind them that it doesn't matter how long they used the name, it needs to go. If they continue to refuse, I would give them a minor note.

5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
This seems like a mostly IC issue, as it isn't against the server rules to carry a weapon during green alert, although it is a bit OOC in nature. I would keep an eye on them, but if they don't start shooting up the Almayer, it would be up to the MPs to notice and disarm them.

6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
This scenario sort of depends on the round at hand really, there are a lot of factors that would change my response. However, usually I would send a centcomm message to the marines stating that there are very few hostiles remaining, reminding them that they are marines and they shouldn't be scared of a couple of xenos it appears they have already mostly beaten. For the xenos, I would send a queen mother message stating that staying evasive and not striking back against the tallhosts is accomplishing nothing, recommending that they attack the metal hive and try to build their numbers once more.

7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
IC issue really, if there is no MP/command staff online and ahelps start to come in I would send a PM.

8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
I would first ask the marine in question whether this scenario had any more IC backing then a simple punch or rude word. If this is proven to be false, which it most likely is, then I would link them to the server rules, and remind them that they are marines, not murderers. I would then check their note history, and if they had a long history of LRP incidents like this, a short ban might be in order. If this is their first offense, then I would give them a note. The affected player would then be contacted and revived.

9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
If they are minor comments and not really meant IC, I would most likely point out that it is an IC situation and I doubt it is an attack against them OOC. If the ahelper does not accept this, I would contact the perpetrator and ask them to tone it down a little.

10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
I would probably give them a hefty ban for such an action, as there is really no excuse for this. I would then Aheal all dead marines.

11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Ah the legendary combat larva. If this is their first incident, I would bwoink them and explain why that is not allowed, and leave them with a note. If they have been doing this repeatedly, I would probably give them a xeno ban and ask them to appeal it on the forums.

12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
As this is probably getting spammy, I'd Bwoink them and explain why it is not allowed. Most cases, I think we can leave it at that.

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
LRP but TGMC doesn't have a no knowledge of first contact rule. No intervention needed.

14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
If neither party ahelps and it was truly Rp'd well, I don't think much intervention is needed here. If the affected ahelps, or there were other circumstances like the existence of another open pod across the hall, I'd bwoink them and give them a minor note. Pods take you out of the round anyway, so I dont think a ban is necessary here.

15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Cryo them and check for note history of logging out of important roles. If they do, then I would PM them in game or on discord, and remind them that SSD'ing in important roles prevents other from taking their spot.

16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Notify the staff of the mistake and recommend they correct themselves.

17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
If they do not respond to an msay asking what they were doing, I would compile evidence and logs and bring the matter to a headstaff.

18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
From what I've seen and done, kindly asking them to stop is usually sufficient. If not, I'd bwoink them and ask them privately to stop as an admin.

19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
This is a tough one, as it is extremely hard to prove whether FF is intentional or not. I'd ask around staff and some of their squadmates to describe the incident, and if nobody can confirm whether it was truly intentional or not, I'd point the FF'd player towards our report forums.

Any additional information you want to provide: This is my first admin application for SS13 and I'm fairly nervous that I messed something critical up. I would love to be taught how to do this as much as possible

Rohesie
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Rohesie

Re: [Rafar9/Laskt] Administrator Application

Postby Rohesie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:43 am #475744

Rafar9 wrote:7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
IC issue really, if there is no MP/command staff online and ahelps start to come in I would send a PM.

What if they stole:
a) A spec's weapon.
b) Attachments, such as a barrel charger.
c) Cosmetic gear, such as a boonie hat or goggles.
d) Their ID.

Rafar9 wrote:9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
If they are minor comments and not really meant IC, I would most likely point out that it is an IC situation and I doubt it is an attack against them OOC. If the ahelper does not accept this, I would contact the perpetrator and ask them to tone it down a little.

Would your ruling be determined on what the player dictates/accepts here?

Rafar9 wrote:10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
I would probably give them a hefty ban for such an action, as there is really no excuse for this. I would then Aheal all dead marines.

What's the time for a hefty ban?

Rafar9 wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Cryo them and check for note history of logging out of important roles. If they do, then I would PM them in game or on discord, and remind them that SSD'ing in important roles prevents other from taking their spot.

But wouldn't take any administrative action?

Rafar9

Postby Rafar9 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 am #475747

Rohesie wrote:
Rafar9 wrote:7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.

What if they stole:
a) A spec's weapon.
b) Attachments, such as a barrel charger.
c) Cosmetic gear, such as a boonie hat or goggles.
d) Their ID.

If they stole something that will seriously impact or remove the affected's gameplay, and the affected is unable to require it, then I would probably bwoink them and ask them politely to give the gear back, as they are preventing others from playing the game. Then I would note them for this sort of thing, just for future reference in case this happens again.

Rafar9 wrote:9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.

I mis-worded this a little, I apologize. If 9/10 people accept the situation, and after a discussion of IC vs OOC racism the 1 disaffected person accepts it, then I believe the situation is entirely IC, and therefore not worthy of administrative action. If it is OOC racism (I.E. racial slurs vs IC Racism against moths), and the ahelper still feels it is targeted against them, then I would contact the person as it would be touching Rule 1.

Rafar9 wrote:10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.

What's the time for a hefty ban?

Admittedly I am a little unsure about this, as I am a little iffy on how long bans should be for certain offenses(something I need to learn). I would start out with a 3 week ban while discussing with other administrators about how we should address the situation. If other admins agree that there was not anything more to the situation than straight-up shooting up briefing then logging, I imagine this would be upgraded to perma, with the ability to forum appeal

Rafar9 wrote:15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.

But wouldn't take any administrative action?

If they have no prior note history, I would note them for leaving important roles. If they do have a significant history of this, and they have been talked to before, then a small ban might be in order depending on the situation of course. Maybe a day or two, to make them get the hint that this is not acceptable.

Rohesie
Code Maintainer

Postby Rohesie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 am #475751

Rafar9 wrote:
Rohesie wrote:

I mis-worded this a little, I apologize. If 9/10 people accept the situation, and after a discussion of IC vs OOC racism the 1 disaffected person accepts it, then I believe the situation is entirely IC, and therefore not worthy of administrative action. If it is OOC racism (I.E. racial slurs vs IC Racism against moths), and the ahelper still feels it is targeted against them, then I would contact the person as it would be touching Rule 1.

Ah, are you classifying racial slurs and someone roleplaying a racist character as OOC racism here?

Rafar9

Postby Rafar9 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:58 am #475752

Not really. When I said OOC racism I was referring to being racist against IRL things, such as antisemitism, not that any slightly racist comments count as OOC racism. When I said IC racism, I meant racism against something like moths or some other purely IC race (I.E. all moths deserve to be burned ).

When I said "after a discussion of IC vs OOC racism" I was referring to what I said in my initial response to the prompt where I said "I would most likely point out that it is an IC situation and I doubt it is an attack against them OOC."

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I can see how my wording was confusing there. I am trying to be as clear as possible but I seem to be stumbling a lot :)

Rohesie
Code Maintainer

Postby Rohesie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 am #475764

I've asked what I had to and am pretty satisfied by your answers. I'll await for the input of other admins if necessary, but considering you are a good mentor and your answers are good as well, I have a hard time seeing myself voting anything but positively on this app.

Kingtrin

Byond Username: Kingtrin

Postby Kingtrin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:36 am #475781

Chiming in to say I really like your answers and attitude. This is a fairly solid app. I just have one question regarding this -

13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
LRP but TGMC doesn't have a no knowledge of first contact rule. No intervention needed.

Why do you say this is LRP?

Rafar9

Postby Rafar9 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:30 pm #475818

Thank you both, it’s good to hear that I did a semi decent job on this!

As far as your question Kingtrin, the LRP was more of a personal note than something I would need to take administrative action for. Usually when someone mentions aliens on the planet it isn’t rp’d particularly well, and is usually just so the commander or ACO in question just trying to gain an advantage by skipping the whole “first contact” phase of the OP where the marines explore in favor of having them at battle-readiness as soon as boots hit the ground. As stated in my original response, there is no rule enforcing that the marines have no knowledge of aliens when they drop, so no action would be needed. I am unsure how this interacts with Rule 3, but I am pretty sure this is correct.

Rafar9

Postby Rafar9 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm #475837

Ah, must have gotten that mixed up with CM in my head, my bad! But yeah, if the marines fought the xenos before it would indeed be OOC and IC pointless to pretend that they don't know of their presence. Apologies, I'll keep this in mind from now on regardless of the status of this app. Thanks Lakiller

Return to TGMC Closed Applications