Self-surgery for amputation and augmentation

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Hierophant
Byond Username: VictorPride

Self-surgery for amputation and augmentation

Post by Hierophant » #493700

You should be able to replace your own limbs with prosthetics without requiring a doctor. Maybe not head or torso but definitely limbs.

If you've lost an arm for example it should still require all the 'augmentation' steps rather than just pushing in a prosthetic though, because you can imply there's still some leftover meat there that would inhibit being connected directly to a prosthetic unless it's cut off. Also it would be overpowered otherwise.

This change is mainly because:
1) Augmentation is such as a ridiculous hassle for roboticists, I'll think of any excuse not to give a miner augs
2) It's more realistic that you're able to do self-surgery to add prosthetics and/or amputate limbs
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Self-surgery for amputation and augmentation

Post by cedarbridge » #493704

Augs are one of the easiest operations in the game.

We already had self-augmentation and it was removed for exactly the reason you're asking for it to be added again.

Stop being a lazy roboticist.
Hierophant

Post by Hierophant » #493705

I'm talking about full-body augmentation. Miners consistently ask for it, and so do others. After all the other augs, borging and bots people ask roboticists to do it would be great to have at least one of those items crossed off the list. It's by far the most stressful job in Science.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #493708

if you dont wanna do your job then sign up for another one.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493719

Hierophant wrote:I'm talking about full-body augmentation. Miners consistently ask for it, and so do others. After all the other augs, borging and bots people ask roboticists to do it would be great to have at least one of those items crossed off the list. It's by far the most stressful job in Science.
I know what you meant. I'm telling you that we had it and removed it. It was removed because its really not that much trouble to have somebody else do it for you. 6 of the simplest operations in the surgical catalog isn't that much to ask. There's literally no stress involved.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #493723

My only issue with augmentation surgery is the length. Removing one step would make doing full body augs less of a chore.

Augmentation really is only valuable when it is full augmentation, or in the rare case of the body aug to make you xeno-immune.

No self surgery, I love augmentation cheese but being able to do it yourself is too much for the amount of power augs give.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #493741

have your robro aug you then get the surgery toolarm implant for a speedboost in surgeries :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #493816

Frankly, I'd like to see researchable automatic surgery table. Need to build it, program it, and provide it with the materials needed for the operation, but you don't need someone to assist you with the surgery, so long as everything but the operator has been provided.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493840

Any auto-surgery/self-surgery should carry the Deadspace danger of just mangling yourself in the process.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #493851

I disapprove of any form of self surgery, although auto-surgery is fine. Again, have it be a research piece of technology, pretty deep down the web to ensure those who want that sweet sweet augmentation at round start have to wait for all the bars to fill. Have the malfunction chance be linked to the quality of the parts inside, if it's been EMPed, and if it's been emagged. And of course, the coding part allows you to, say, program an automated debraining program that's listed as "Full body augmentation" in the options.

Plenty of people will be too afraid of an improperly programmed autodoc that it will be infrequently used between rounds once people catch on that it's super easy to turn into murder machines.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Hierophant

Post by Hierophant » #493926

^ I like that idea. I mostly realised this issue after a very lowpop round where there were no MDs and the only other science guy was the RD who was busy doing his own autistic projects. It was several hours into the round and I wanted to get full body augs but there was no-one to do it, whereas with nanites in comparison you can easily build a public nanite chamber for your own projects.