[Admin] Terranaut

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Admin, TGMC Game Server Operators, Game Server Operators, TGMC Administrator, TGMC Lead

terranaut
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Terranaut

[Admin] Terranaut

Postby terranaut » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 pm #521966

Hello?

Current ckey and any previous ckeys: Terranaut
Character name(s): PFC Samir "Monkey" Al-Hajeed
Timezone: GMT +1
Discord tag: Terranaut#7054
Any previous experience administrating? Where and in what manner: I was admin on /tg/ in late 2012 or early 2013.
How long have you been playing TGMC and other servers in general: Not very long on TGMC although that's part of why I'm applying. SS13 in general since 2012 with a long break inbetween, about 2.5 years playtime total.
Have you been banned from any SS13 servers within the past 6 months? If so, what server, and for what reason: I got a Head of Staff monthban on Citadel because I ashed the HoS' office as Chief Engineer. He stole an item of mine and refused to give it back, instead threatening to cremate it. I threatened to cremate his office if he did. He did, so I did.
Have you ever recieved a permanent ban from a server? If so, what server, and for what reason: No.
Why do you believe that you would make a good admin? Sensible decisionmaking with a usually chill attitude. I've also been told that being European is a huge plus, which is understandable of course.
What's one aspect of how you play the game that you think you could improve on? I should let ingame actions carry me away less.
What standards do you personally hold players to? How should judgements on their actions be determined? Good/Bad faith acting and availability of information available to the player per case, Note history in general.
What is a good metric or standard to go by when doing admin events? What would you try to consider when doing an admin event? How often do you think you'd run admin events? Admin events should aim to involve as many people as possible in the event, be it co-op events or something more team deathmatch-y. Making one guy god and letting him kill everyone isn't a very epic event. Getting ghosts back into the round is usually a good idea, too. As to how much, I can't say. It depends on my muse.
What do you think you'll find most enjoyable about being an admin? What do you think you'll find least enjoyable? Giving the server much more uptime especially for a denthead such as me to figure out the game and git gud will be enjoyable. I also like coming out of the woodwork and slamming bad faith actors who thought themselves in a lowpop noadmins scenario (less likely here with an admin being mandatory to host the server, I suppose). I don't look forward to being yelled at and insulted by shitters.
No one admins forever. For what reason or how do you think you will stop adminning? Do you think you'll be able to call it quits when you've had enough? Drastic life changes making me unable to dedicate time. I will, probably, eventually lose interest, as no hobby is really forever (or maybe I just overdo it, I don't know). I hope that'll be a while, though.

Please fill out the following example scenarios, put your answer on a separate line from the question:
1. A player shoots another player near the start of the round, but the MPs have already detained and brigged him.
Bwoink, ask why this has happened, check notes while the player replies, very clearly against rules.
2. You see a player walking around the ship without any clothes on, looking pretty lost.
Observe for a moment, direct a mentor to them if available or see what I can do if not if they can't seem to figure it out on their own.
3. A player is getting aggressive in adminhelps and requesting to speak to a higher ranking staff member.
If one is online and adminning I'll quickly ask their opinion in asay but ultimately I'll deal with Karen myself and if the player refuses to cooperate and give information/answer questions I'll make the ruling with what information I have available.
4. You notice a player with a name that doesn't fit our naming rules. The player is arguing that they've used the name for several years across multiple servers and no one has told them to change it before.
Other servers have other rules and I'll insist on the name change.
5. You see an MT running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green with no threat present.
I'll generally not start bwoinking people over minor things like this on my own. (tbh I don't even know for sure which job MT is so it might be fine anyway for them to carry a rifle as part of their kit)
6. The round is stagnating. There are 14 marines and 4 aliens (balance will change over time, just imagine a stalemate scenario according to the current meta). The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
Subtlemessage respective faction leaders to start doing shit, if not it's time for a third faction ghost role to cause some havoc and create an opening for either party. Is it Survivors that hate aliens with a passion and will charge headfirst into the hive to provide plentyful hosts for the xenos kill all the stinky bugs? Or literal savages with spears angry at metal men invading their planet? Who knows.
7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
Bad faith grief, byebye
8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Gross overescalation, note if clean history and understanding of mistake, ban if bad apple
9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
I suggest they deal with it IC and join the roleplay. Joining the RP doesn't mean you have to be positive about it.
10. A marine opens fire at several marines during briefing killing multiple people and logs off before you can message him.
Perma him and aheal the marines, instruct them to pretend it didn't happen, let the round continue
11. You see a larva die near the frontlines. Upon further investigation, you see that they bursted in a safe place far away.
Secret note, or bwoink/ban if recurring behavior
12. You see a xeno excessively saying phrases like "Ayyylmao", "Reeeee" and similar in the hivemind chat.
Probably nothing unless someone complains except if it's really really bad, but if someone does I will tell them to cut it out immediately.
13. A command staff player mentions during briefing that there might be xenos on the planet.
Far as I know that's fine, possible unidentified alien life is why they come up heavily armed isn't it?
14. A marine kills another marine on the Evac Pod to take the last spot, but has roleplayed the situation quite well.
If both players are fine with the RP I'll do nothing, if it gets ahelped I'll probably leave it at a verbal warning based on details of the situation (good RP, no/tame note history)
15. You see an SSD Squad Leader in the preparation room 1 hour into the round. When you check the logs, you notice he logged off near the beginning of the round.
Leave a message to ahelp next time
16. You see a member of the staff give wrong information in an adminhelp.
Correct them in asay so they can correct themselves. If it's intentional it becomes more complicated than a one line response but I'm sensitive to the possibility.
17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Intervene if possible, bring it up with the higher ups if it's something serious
18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Tell them to cut it out
19. A player ahelps saying that they were instantly killed by another member of their squad. When you ask their squad member who shot them, they said that it was accidental friendly fire.
If 'instantly' refers to at roundstart I'm not buying that lie, if 'instantly' means from healthy to dead and the friendly fire is believable then that's tough luck

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

Rohesie
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Rohesie

Re: [Admin] Terranaut

Postby Rohesie » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:28 pm #522237

Hi and thanks for applying!

terranaut wrote:7. A marine is running around disarming other marines and stealing their gear near the beginning of the round.
Bad faith grief, byebye

Could you elaborate on the action you'd take here, and if/how it would be determined by the person's past note history?

terranaut wrote:8. A marine has killed another marine. When you ask him why, he said it was because the other marine had punched him or said something rude towards him.
Gross overescalation, note if clean history and understanding of mistake, ban if bad apple

Ban for how long?

terranaut wrote:9. There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and roleplaying but one player gets offended and adminhelps about it.
I suggest they deal with it IC and join the roleplay. Joining the RP doesn't mean you have to be positive about it.

They protest and quote Rule 1, they seem pretty argumentative and start getting angry at you. How do you proceed?

terranaut wrote:17. You see a member of the staff abusing his powers in-game or otherwise breaking the administrator rules.
Intervene if possible, bring it up with the higher ups if it's something serious

How would you intervene? Could you expand on that?

terranaut wrote:18. You see a player bashing another server or player in OOC.
Tell them to cut it out

For both situations, server or player?

terranaut
TGMC Administrator

Postby terranaut » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:21 am #522267

Rohesie wrote:Could you elaborate on the action you'd take here, and if/how it would be determined by the person's past note history?

For clarifications sake I'll say that when I started playing spessmen, 15 Min increasing increments IC in OOC bans were handed out like candy for the most mild and vague of comments, no bwoink and no questions asked. It does leave me with an attitude towards bans that most would consider harsh. That being said, for someone with no note history, I'd probably leave it at one of those warning shot short bans. They disrupt the entire marines' setup phase, I disrupt theirs. I try to take into account intent or supposed intent of an action and the effect it has on other players when making judgements like these, and if I'm unsure I'll usually err on the side of caution, but in this scenario I really can't find an intepretation here that isn't low-key line-toeing grief.

Rohesie wrote:Ban for how long?

Depends on their note history in detail, probably a day, longer if really bad track.

Rohesie wrote:They protest and quote Rule 1, they seem pretty argumentative and start getting angry at you. How do you proceed?

If the comments are as minor as you initially said, they probably have stopped at this point; if they're still ongoing, then at this point I wouldn't consider them minor anymore. My answer would depend on that, and in the latter case I'd tell players to tone it down a dial.

Rohesie wrote:How would you intervene? Could you expand on that?

If it's something minor that doesn't cause immediate disruptions or wider problems I'll just talk to them in asay and try to sort it out, if it's really bad like mass banning random players I'm getting ready for a kick battle (I assume like /tg/ banned admins can connect anyway here) while getting someone with +PERMS.

Rohesie wrote:For both situations, server or player?

Salting a bit or calling someone a denthead in OOC is fine and part of the game, but if it turns to be abusive and harsh words to a player or just generally talking shit about a server then I'll start handing out OOC mutes.

jimminian95
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Aurelien3189

Postby jimminian95 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:03 pm #522545

Terranaut wrote:Hello?

Hello. And welcome to the TGMC application forums.

Reading through your initial app, and your responses, you seem to have a developed idea on how admins work, such as how you mentioned how short bans were "handed out like candy" with progressive times.

Not stating anything myself at the moment, though, I'd like to ask about your time as an admin, that is What was that year like for you working as staff? Were you guided? And what have you been taught/picked up on there?

How much of your knowledge comes from there versus stuff you picked up on in your own time?

And lastly. How much of the same ruleset and methods would you think applies here? It seems like much of your responses come from experience

Timonk

Byond Username: Timonk

Postby Timonk » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:30 pm #522560

He usually isn't THAT good of a player. I'm not saying he griefs all the time, but he usually is a shitter. ( i.e he recently tried to firelock crush me as ai when I was a human wizard and he couldn't figure out I was human, even though I looked like one and I hadn't shown any supernatural abilities), apart from that Ive had my fair share of differences with him and I believe he shouldn't be admin on something like TGMC. He may be able to be admin on hippie if he wanted, but I don't think he should as I said. Delete this if it's against the rules of the TGMC subforums or take it into consideration if it isn't
Aw man
So we back in the mine

terranaut
TGMC Administrator

Postby terranaut » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:00 pm #522580

jimminian95 wrote:
Terranaut wrote:Hello?

Hello. And welcome to the TGMC application forums.

Reading through your initial app, and your responses, you seem to have a developed idea on how admins work, such as how you mentioned how short bans were "handed out like candy" with progressive times.

Not stating anything myself at the moment, though, I'd like to ask about your time as an admin, that is What was that year like for you working as staff? Were you guided? And what have you been taught/picked up on there?

How much of your knowledge comes from there versus stuff you picked up on in your own time?

And lastly. How much of the same ruleset and methods would you think applies here? It seems like much of your responses come from experience

I kinda hate nested reply chains so I'll just reply in order.

The short OOC bans being commonplace isn't an idea I developed but something I witnessed, at least on /tg/. It's probably overkill for the completely new players, but it's a good deterrent for the people who know better but sometimes think they can't help themselves, remember the timeout and then find they can in fact help themselves and not reveal ingame events.

I was at the time adminned by Intigracy and Yinadele (the former asking the latter, if memory serves). Intigracy became inactive shortly after, while Yinadele remained available for question, although proper guidance would have fallen to Intigracy, which I thus lacked. There's a bunch of technical stuff I don't know (I'm not very good with VV for example because I realise it's not something you just start fucking around with) but I think the important things I managed to figure out.

With the main rules mostly the same, I'd think a fair part of the mindset would carry over. The rules closer tied to gameplay are obviously different due to the whole difference with the antag paranoia / team deathmatch playstyles, and since the server luckily has been up for a while now and I also have had time to play and get some more experience I'd make some minor but important adjustments to some of the answers, ie. I wouldn't blanket consider a larva dying near the frontlines a suicide, I've been in the situation myself now where I've been keeping an eye on things as larva or hanging back behind the support xeno line to jump straight in when I evolve. Then again that's a bit more nuanced and the questions are rather general, so eh.
Also, don't assume I'm unable to take directions or make some changes my adminning style or anything like that.

Timonk wrote:He usually isn't THAT good of a player. I'm not saying he griefs all the time, but he usually is a shitter. ( i.e he recently tried to firelock crush me as ai when I was a human wizard and he couldn't figure out I was human, even though I looked like one and I hadn't shown any supernatural abilities), apart from that Ive had my fair share of differences with him and I believe he shouldn't be admin on something like TGMC. He may be able to be admin on hippie if he wanted, but I don't think he should as I said. Delete this if it's against the rules of the TGMC subforums or take it into consideration if it isn't

I don't think how robust of a player I am is relevant for how good of an admin I could be. It's also amuses me that
a) you bring up my AI play, as that's generally what I get the most praise for.
b) you are STILL upset about not even being firelock crushed.
Non-committally calling me a shitter's really vague and means nothing.
I don't really wanna get in a shitflinging contest, so for the sake of my defense I'll just point out that the guy giving his opinion here only recently got his second discord ban appeal denied, a ban which he copped for stirring drama: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24272
We could compare note histories, too; my worst ban on /tg/ is a dayban for accidentally blowing an EORG bomb a second or two too early due to lag.

Merryweather
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Merryweather

Postby Merryweather » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 am #524079

After speaking with the administration, your application has passed. You will be roled accordingly soon, thanks for applying.
Head Administrator and a Lead of TGMC.
A part (HAPPY ORANGES) of one of the best SS13 servers out there, ish.

OOC: Rohesie: The oligarchy shall never fall.

Feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22045

Toolboxing for a Cause: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24022

Return to TGMC Closed Applications