We need more maps

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

We need more maps

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #636167

I'm kind of getting tired of playing delta, icebox, then meta, and all over again. why not add some more maps? It wouldn't hurt anyone, plus you can add more features in the game.

If there's no new maps, starting mapping people. I'd suggest using strong dmm, good mapping tool.
Just dont make shit maps.
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: We need more maps

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #636192

Maintenance "costs" for keeping maps up-to-date rises with each successive map.
However, if you're interested in more maps, go for it yourself instead of suggesting others do it :^)
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #636198

We have this really cool map with some kind of train going through the middle of it. You should try voting for that one sometime.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #636208

/tg/ has prioritized adding several features/mechanics over having a variety of maps since... forever. Other codebases do have several more maps in rotation, but the issue with that is that it comes with a specific "technical debt" to the people who wish to add more features into the game having to make the same mapping change across 4 (right now: 5) main-line station maps.

This is not likely to change so long as feature coders are a thing because more maps will equal a higher "barrier of entry" in order to get your mechanic instituted into /tg/ code. As mentioned previously, downstreams do have several more maps in rotation beyond the standard 5, but those aren't likely to be as well-maintained as our present five, and it's quite difficult to have to remap an older station to utilize the newly implemented mechanics (and have it look good!).

I know the map depot ( https://github.com/tgstation/map_depot ) has a bunch of maps kept relatively (but not perfectly) in sync with newer commits of /tg/ code (at least enough where it doesn't end up being like entirely useless). Sometimes, an admin might get frisky and decide that the next round will be a "throwback" using the latest version of these maps (where some stuff will almost certainly be missing). I hope that when these sorts of opportunities come around that the station embraces this sort of thing rather than reject it.
Last edited by san7890 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
InfiniteGalaxies
Byond Username: InfiniteGalaxies

Post by InfiniteGalaxies » #636210

san7890 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:17 pm /tg/ has prioritized adding several features/mechanics over having a variety of maps since... forever. Other codebases do have several more maps in rotation, but the issue with that is that it comes with a specific "technical debt" to the people who wish to add more features into the game having to make the same mapping change across 4 (right now: 5) main-line station maps.

This is not likely to change so long as feature coders are a thing because more maps will equal a higher "barrier of entry" in order to get your mechanic instituted into /tg/ code. As mentioned previously, downstreams do have several more maps in rotation beyond the standard 5, but those aren't likely to be as well-maintained as our present five, and it's quite difficult to have to remap an older station to utilize the newly implemented mechanics (and have it look good!).
I can see what you mean there yes, its hard to maintain a lot of maps.
But if I submitted a good map right now, would it even be added to rotation?
► Show Spoiler
Plays Manuel and TGMC.

Ticky tocky goes clocky, you did an icky ocky!
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #636220

InfiniteGalaxies wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:31 pm
san7890 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:17 pm /tg/ has prioritized adding several features/mechanics over having a variety of maps since... forever. Other codebases do have several more maps in rotation, but the issue with that is that it comes with a specific "technical debt" to the people who wish to add more features into the game having to make the same mapping change across 4 (right now: 5) main-line station maps.

Right now? The ETA for a quality map for a station is about... two years. It took 3 years of development (on-and-off) for Tram to be made (MMM is a veteran mapper, too), and Kilo was knocked out in a few months (and then revised in the PR state for a few months after that, but Okand isn't new to map-making [they also made Delta]). There's a few in development (Chilled, Catwalk, some others without a thread like Jungle) that have been worked on for at least six-eight months to a year, and with my judgement of the work that's been completed thus far, they probably won't be in the best state they could be for another year.

Mapping is quite easy and doesn't really have a huge barrier-to-entry for new people wanting to dip their toes into contributing. Making a station is very difficult, and is doubly so if you do not have a working experience.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #636227

InfiniteGalaxies wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:31 pm

If you didn't talk about it with maptainers first, then no.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<