Getting Space Station 13 into Within BYOND

General SS13 Chat
Higoten
Byond Username: Higoten

Getting Space Station 13 into Within BYOND

Post by Higoten » #76559

This is a discussion about how we can get Space Station 13 mentioned in upcoming editions of Within BYOND.

Within BYOND is something of a "Highlights" news column that is released on a twice monthly basis, and features and promotes developments about BYOND updates, BYOND resources, and BYOND games that use an original IP. BYOND Within can be accessed from the BYOND pager, website, and forums, and by my rough ability to estimate, gets about 200 views. Recently, there has been some interest in getting Space Station 13 featured in Within BYOND. I stated my reasoning for not pursuing the inclusion of updates regarding Space Station 13. While I still feel this reasoning is valid, I have come to the conclusion that it is a bit draconic of me, given Space Station 13 has alot of work put into it as an open source project, and it really shouldn't be punished for that, as it should be something that is encouraged.

So with that being said, I would like to propose a way to get coverage of Space Station 13's developments into Within BYOND. I still have a problem with playing favorites between the many different variations of the game, so if a member of the community would conduct the write-up for Space Station 13 of a branch for Within BYOND, something that I could append a "Contributed by [SS13 member key]" on, I feel that would be a happy medium, where coverage is provided, but without playing favorites. This would practically be the equivalent of the member posting a write up in the comments section of Within BYOND, with the benefit of being in the original post.

Hundreds of game update examples can be found in the announcements section of the BYOND forums regarding how game updates for Within BYOND (and its predecessor, BYOND and Within) are typically written. In this case, the post should contain the name of the variation of Space Station 13, along with a link to their website (ideally the page with information about the game, or server links), and not contain any direct BYOND:// links to servers. The post should not be excessive (these are briefs and highlights on updates, typically less than 100 words) and contain links to dev/change/update logs of the prior two weeks (if available), be well written, a short description of the game, or what type of game it is, and may contain mild humor and appropriate language (anything PG or less is more than likely acceptable). No HTML will need to be provided. A link to a screenshot of in-game play should ideally be included. I reserve the right to change or exclude any or all parts of anything sent to me.

Submissions may be sent via email to jam[REMOVE]lis@windstream.net and are due a day prior to publication of Within BYOND. Within BYOND is published the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month, so submissions would be due the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month. As tasks of this kind sometimes go, I may receive multiple submissions for the same branch, in which case we will work collectively to work that into one submission for publication.

Also, this isn't just for the /tg community, if you follow any other Space Station communities, feel free to share this with them. As long as they meet the following requirements (and assuming this idea doesn't become excessive, in which case we'll have to stop, or do something different) they may be eligible to do a submission as well. The branch must have active development, openly share their source code, have their own website with available servers, and be universally utilized (The last requirement is subject to interpretation, as I don't want coverage on every twig, just the trunks).

I'm not an active member of any Space Station community 13, and I've made some assumptions in writing this, so I apologise if they are incorrect. This is the best way I could figure to provide coverage of Space Station 13 (as full coverage could fill its own Within Space Station 13 newsletter!) in a reasonable manner, and we'll see how it goes. If you have questions, you can email me at the address provided above, as I may not always actively follow this post or forum.

Thanks. I found some wet floor signs: :wetfloorsign: :wetfloorsign: :wetfloorsign:
Last edited by Higoten on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Getting Space Station 13 into Within BYOND

Post by oranges » #76737

Do we need it? We're already one of the most popular byond variants, to the point where people playing ss13 sometimes don't even really know or understand what byond is or isn't.

Our growth is mostly driven by word of mouth and a few news articles
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #76850

I may write a small thing if I remember and a major thing happens because /tg/station development is very, very fast. A LOT of things happen every month, but they're generally not very major. The way everything works around here, we end up doing incremental development.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #76856

Probably be best not to do this, maybe a passing mention every so often if something really big happens.

Maybe do a little thing with a different server or something every so often?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy