(prog traitors) you should be able to take objectives without consequence

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

(prog traitors) you should be able to take objectives without consequence

Post by iwishforducks » #644397

right now with prog traitors, you get 6 objectives you can choose from. a good majority of the time, half of your objectives will be straight up impossible to complete. the reasonings are irrelevant. but, because sometimes objectives are impossible to complete, especially assassination objectives that require you to kill someone that’s out exploring space, it makes this extra step of scouting an objective ahead before you take it. this is kinda shit, because it feels silly to have to “scout” the objective out beforehand. this scouting ends up usually waiting until the very last moment, which means that by the time you’re ready to actually take on the objective, there’s a good chance the objective is straight up GONE.

the best example of this “scouting” gameplay loop is as follows: https://youtu.be/9QwUeE2qt9U

i personally think that you should be taking objectives that you’re interested in ASAP, and then be able to dump off the objective at any point you want to without penalty. the only consequence should be your time. that’s all, thanks.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: (prog traitors) you should be able to take objectives without consequence

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644398

Agreed. Just ran into this last round where I accepted the objective to kill runtime, break into cmos office and backroom. Only to find an office with a thermited hole in the wall and a cat nowhere to be found. He got taken somewhere else at least 20 minutes prior. (But not killed, as the objective wasnt terminated or unable to be chosen.)

Sometimes you lose. And penalizing that is kind of sad.
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #644402

As opposed to old objectives where you still had assassinate and the person fucked off mining so you were doomed to not complete it.

I only select objectives I am confident I can complete just before I do it, and honestly that is weak. Maybe a bonus for having the objective longer before completing it?
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #644420

Difference being that, with old tots, you were never really expected to follow your objectives unless you wanted to.

The same still applies for prog tots, but it sometimes feels like you have to follow objectives now.

What if we met in the middle and gave 1 objective reroll that cancels your current objectives and gives you 6 new objectives? Y'know, just merge contractors with prog tots more since contractor was objectively the best traitor design?
And while we're at it, bring back the dang surplus crate.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #644422

Nabski wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:18 pmAs opposed to old objectives where you still had assassinate and the person fucked off mining so you were doomed to not complete it.
What do you mean? I will go down to Lavaland and track their ass down in the wastes. Don't be lazy.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #644432

I agree. This system just makes you have to wait until right before you do the objective to accept it, which is kind of silly. If you play as intended and accept an objective then hunt for it, you risk having to take an L and lose TC (which can go into the negatives for some reason).

The downside with waiting until you’re right about to do the objective to accept it, is that sometimes objectives disappear and get shuffled out of the list.
Spoiler:
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #644439

I'm pretty sure the objectives disappear because you've entered into the next rep bracket through passive rep and bumped off the lower rep objectives.